German expat mugged by Phuket teen gang

webfact

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The German guy looks like Hannibal Lecter`s brother.

Sorry, but he does look scary.

There appears to be many so=called unprovoked attacks on farangs in Pattaya and

Phuket recently.

At this point I am not going to make any assumptions.

As they say in the X Files: the truth is out there.

In the meantime, don`t have nightmares.

Don't judge a book by its cover. Most of us will get older and living a not too much boring life could leave some scars on your face.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

Primary targets is drunk people, does not matter how old or big are you, gang could be easily raised up to 4-5 motorcycles. I believe them based somewhere at Chao-Fa Rd., somewhere in old thai villages around chalong police station.

In that time, I had 3 attempted break ins, one break in while someone home, A guy murdered in my front yard (stabbed to death), Twice had youth's try to stop me on motorbike aggressively after dark. Victim of petty theft a few times, WIfe (western) wouldn't go out alone at all after sunset following 3 approaches, including Flashers masturbating at her, plus one attempted full on assault.

Move to Pattaya , no crimes to talk about here.

He definitely does not look like the nicest one to have as neighbor, often something has happend before the main incident, lived on Phuket for a year almost twenty years ago, for a year, never had a problem. but the people over there have different understanding of humor and their attitudes are not the same like in the Isaan have to be taken with care. As I have been working in the security business, I can only say he lost his awareness or better said he was aware but did listen to the signs most victims who survived an assault will tell, "I have had that strange feeling etc. why are they not listening to their instincts, everyone should know in our times, the war starts after leaving your home everyday.

yeah right! here we have an "eggsburt" presenting his wild assumptions because the victim "definitely does not look like the nicest one to have as a neighbour."

bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif alt=bah.gif width=19 height=19>

We also base our wisdom on conditions twenty years ago. How is that relevant? A lot of places were a lot safer twenty years ago.

Not just Phuket. Lets all come back in another twenty years and see what its like then.

When I had my business in Phuket I always had a lot of troble with the Germans. This does not mean that all Germans are bad. Most of my customers were old WW II types that hated Americans for what collectively we did to keep them from destroying the civilized world. Present world not included Germans and Russians have personalities a lot alike and they can piss someone off without out trying. Try to stay away from them you might be implicated and someone kicks the shit out of you.

The news from Phuket remains the same and people should regard their personal safety as extremely important. Motorcycle riders are prime targets for Thai gangs.

Phuket is a wonderful place and the government won't clean up the crime because they can't rid themselves of conflict of interest. It is time for the government to stop Phuket from being destroyed by local criminal who have an obligation to meet for Bangkok. I would like to spend more time at my house in Rawai but I fear that I am not safe. When I first moved to Phuket in 1996 it was the greatest and can be again but not as long as the criminals want to keep it the way it is.

maybe it was your food you served them and had nothing to do with the war

Don's food was great compared to what's around here now. If you're going to bother commenting, you should actually know what you're talking about!

When I had my business in Phuket I always had a lot of troble with the Germans. This does not mean that all Germans are bad. Most of my customers were old WW II types that hated Americans for what collectively we did to keep them from destroying the civilized world. Present world not included Germans and Russians have personalities a lot alike and they can piss someone off without out trying. Try to stay away from them you might be implicated and someone kicks the shit out of you.

The news from Phuket remains the same and people should regard their personal safety as extremely important. Motorcycle riders are prime targets for Thai gangs.

Phuket is a wonderful place and the government won't clean up the crime because they can't rid themselves of conflict of interest. It is time for the government to stop Phuket from being destroyed by local criminal who have an obligation to meet for Bangkok. I would like to spend more time at my house in Rawai but I fear that I am not safe. When I first moved to Phuket in 1996 it was the greatest and can be again but not as long as the criminals want to keep it the way it is.

I agree with you so far as Phuket is being run by criminals, for criminals, and that is hardly sustainable for the tourism industry here and for a comfortable lifestyle as an expat.

Edited by NamKangMan

So he does not want to go to the police because that won't do any good but does decide to go to the papers?

Not such a bad idea, at least the newspapers will report the assult, and maybe shame the police into action. But then again maybe not. I have to say this island is become less safe year by year. Yes, I know it was 02.00 but visitors should be able to return home from a bar safely.

Where are the good old times when Phuket members would post on this forum that all the scum stayed in Pattaya and Phuket was so much safer.

From the assault and murder reports I've read on TV in the last 6 months I guess Phuket must have taken the top spot now.

Really? I guess you must be reading the wrong forums. Phuket currently is focusing on 'clean up' and Pattaya on what it does best. Have a dose of what Pattaya does for you: http://www.pattayaone.net

I only offer that as an example. Pattaya has more reportable crime and abuse in 24 hours than Phuket (read Patong) has in a month.

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1

Phuket is at about its lowest. Place to avoid now!

What a joke. This particular poster, plus those who 'liked', live nowhere near Phuket. Get a life folks.

Seriously, be honest, have you ever seen the reported crime here as high as it is now? It's a valid question.

Is it wrong to comment there appears to be sharp rise in crime here in recent times? Is that Phuket bashing, or just telling it the way it is?

So he does not want to go to the police because that won't do any good but does decide to go to the papers?

Not such a bad idea, at least the newspapers will report the assult, and maybe shame the police into action. But then again maybe not. I have to say this island is become less safe year by year. Yes, I know it was 02.00 but visitors should be able to return home from a bar safely.

Where are the good old times when Phuket members would post on this forum that all the scum stayed in Pattaya and Phuket was so much safer.

From the assault and murder reports I've read on TV in the last 6 months I guess Phuket must have taken the top spot now.

Really? I guess you must be reading the wrong forums. Phuket currently is focusing on 'clean up' and Pattaya on what it does best. Have a dose of what Pattaya does for you: http://www.pattayaone.net

I only offer that as an example. Pattaya has more reportable crime and abuse in 24 hours than Phuket (read Patong) has in a month.

We need per-capita stats for it to be accurate. I would not be surprised if Phuket now has a higher crime rate, on a per-capita basis, than Pattaya.

Maybe it's just the types of tourists in Phuket who have no ability to defend themselves. Seriously, teenagers? That German was probably bigger than all of them combined. Get aggressive and they'll back down -- yes they will. Too many people here take the Neville Chamberlain approach when dealing with Thais which only makes matters worse. Stand up for yourself.

Not a responsible post at all!

Mostly, you are on their home territory, not that that's any excuse, but Thai's have a habit of responding or even initiating violence in 'numbers'

By this I mean, the history here is that 'one on one' encounters are vary rare and even in the case of Thai's in conflict with other Thai's, it's usually the fact that the offenders mostly operate in 'packs'

Standing up for yourself may have a nice ring to it and in some cases a worldly person, strong and not unused to violence and taking care of oneself, might win-out, however, the chance of this being the case would be vary rare.

It's now, moreso than ever the situation that violence, particularly against Farang, is on the increase and yes, here in this Tropical Resort which up until the 90's was beautiful and relaxing, care must be taken in where you may be alone or in small numbers.

Not too different to many places in the world, but don't let Thailand or any of the so-called resorts here fool you into a sense of not taking reasonable precautions is the best medicine.

Attempting to respond to violence with a defensive retaliation in the same vein will almost always leave you much worse off, particularly here where 'Smiles' are not necessarily universal with thugs, mainly roaming in packs!

Let the "Buyer" (in this case the lone tourist) be aware!

The police in Chalong/Phuket (including Immigration) have exhibited such injustice, bias, racism and bigotry towards me, I find it hard to believe a German man would not receive the kindest, most professional assistance from the Chalong or THai police that they are capable of offering foreigners. Even more so with the Tourist police. From my experience living here, with the label of "jew" placed on me, I experience endless hate and discrimination from the wanna-be Nazi Thai people who seem to collaborate and assist the many bigots and racist ex-pats living here. So, a German not getting help from police is doubtful, they would bend over backwards to be kind and helpful to a cherished foreigner living here.

One experience I had was when I went to a massage place in Rawai (with Russian words in the massage sign posted on the front of the shop). While I was laying on the table getting the massage, one of the other massage or employees at this shop quietly went into my purse--while I was laying on the table above it--and they stole 500 baht from my purse and quietly put the purse back. After the massage, I looked for my money and thought I had left my money at home, not considering the possibility of what had happened. After asking the scowling receptionist at this massage shop if I could get my money at home, while she gave me dark suspicious looks but agreed to let me look for my money. Upon realizing I had been stolen from while getting the massage, I returned to the shop and confronted these people about how my money had been stolen. Surrounding me, with at least 6 of the women working there, they did the "who do you think took your money?...are you accusing us of stealing from you?" and with this provocation I began yelling at them in a rage, This ensued in a trip to the Chalong police station with the 6 women, and at least 6 other people I had never seen, some of whom had caught the shouting match on their mobile phones and were laughing about it at the police station--these were white Russian men, and the police were extremely deferential towards them. The officer told me that it was my fault for not paying in advance---which no one ever does, and that all of it was my fault. Nothing happened to these girls who went of preening and smiling in their "victory" while the police smiled, laughed and made jokes about it,

Even in my own country (USA) there are accounts of police brutality and injustice that would have been unheard of years ago (beating homeless people to death with no consequences, caught on video---or suffocating mentally ill people who have done minor infractions by piling up on them, with no consequences). It is not just Thai police who cherry pick who to dispense justice and injustice to according to race, gender and all the labels and categories of bigotry (or who offers bribes or can afford a better lawyer), but there is a problem with excessive force at least in America when it comes to minorities that can mean death to the targeted person. I hope people can see a larger picture going on rather than incompetence, corruption or bigotry of Thai police as some kind of enclosed and limited statement about Thailand. But when people on this forum report that Thai police always defend the poor Thai people, I have to correct this blatant lie or lack of information or knowledge of what the true situation is. People who claim that Thais will always defend Thais and allow assaults and crime to happen to foreigners, particularly white Europeans, ignore what has been reported here in Thai Visa about Thai people goosestepping in Nazi uniforms and wearing swastikas.

Edited by me313

maybe it was your food you served them and had nothing to do with the war

Don's food was great compared to what's around here now. If you're going to bother commenting, you should actually know what you're talking about!

i do know what i'm talking about

The police in Chalong/Phuket (including Immigration) have exhibited such injustice, bias, racism and bigotry towards me, I find it hard to believe a German man would not receive the kindest, most professional assistance from the Chalong or THai police that they are capable of offering foreigners. Even more so with the Tourist police. From my experience living here, with the label of "jew" placed on me, I experience endless hate and discrimination from the wanna-be Nazi Thai people who seem to collaborate and assist the many bigots and racist ex-pats living here. So, a German not getting help from police is doubtful, they would bend over backwards to be kind and helpful to a cherished foreigner living here.

One experience I had was when I went to a massage place in Rawai (with Russian words in the massage sign posted on the front of the shop). While I was laying on the table getting the massage, one of the other massage or employees at this shop quietly went into my purse--while I was laying on the table above it--and they stole 500 baht from my purse and quietly put the purse back. After the massage, I looked for my money and thought I had left my money at home, not considering the possibility of what had happened. After asking the scowling receptionist at this massage shop if I could get my money at home, while she gave me dark suspicious looks but agreed to let me look for my money. Upon realizing I had been stolen from while getting the massage, I returned to the shop and confronted these people about how my money had been stolen. Surrounding me, with at least 6 of the women working there, they did the "who do you think took your money?...are you accusing us of stealing from you?" and with this provocation I began yelling at them in a rage, This ensued in a trip to the Chalong police station with the 6 women, and at least 6 other people I had never seen, some of whom had caught the shouting match on their mobile phones and were laughing about it at the police station--these were white Russian men, and the police were extremely deferential towards them. The officer told me that it was my fault for not paying in advance---which no one ever does, and that all of it was my fault. Nothing happened to these girls who went of preening and smiling in their "victory" while the police smiled, laughed and made jokes about it,

Even in my own country (USA) there are accounts of police brutality and injustice that would have been unheard of years ago (beating homeless people to death with no consequences, caught on video---or suffocating mentally ill people who have done minor infractions by piling up on them, with no consequences). It is not just Thai police who cherry pick who to dispense justice and injustice to according to race, gender and all the labels and categories of bigotry (or who offers bribes or can afford a better lawyer), but there is a problem with excessive force at least in America when it comes to minorities that can mean death to the targeted person. I hope people can see a larger picture going on rather than incompetence, corruption or bigotry of Thai police as some kind of enclosed and limited statement about Thailand. But when people on this forum report that Thai police always defend the poor Thai people, I have to correct this blatant lie or lack of information or knowledge of what the true situation is. People who claim that Thais will always defend Thais and allow assaults and crime to happen to foreigners, particularly white Europeans, ignore what has been reported here in Thai Visa about Thai people goosestepping in Nazi uniforms and wearing swastikas.

Although I write of a single experience that happened at a Thai/Russian business, the same situation has happened to me with rip-off landlords from England, France, Germany, and Italy where the police support them and completely discriminate against me, although it's a case of foreigner against foreigner. The label of Nazi is not limited at all to Germans, by the way. Likewise, I have talked to Thai women who the police have disregarded after they have been ripped off by foreigner landlords or investors, and there is only the silencing of the Thai national and the foreigners get away with it and the less-favored Thai woman is left victimized with no recourse to justice.. I just use this personal example I had because I know that Thai people do not.favor Thais over foreigners, as so many of these articles state in Thai Visa. I have only seen Thai people bending over backwards to serve the white investors and foreigners living here as if they are royalty. It's disgusting to see how brainwashed they are. I also know 100% that I am not paranoid about the bigotry of universal anti-semitism, but it exists here and Thai people seem to want to impress their white ex-pat investors by behaving in racist and bigoted ways against Jews (and probably blacks too). I want to express a differing opinion here on Thai Visa and that it's extremely unlikely that foreigners, especially from Germany, get discriminated against when a crime is committed against them. I have seen this same deferential treatment of Thais to very bigoted foreigners over and over again in the many years I have lived here.

Maybe it's just the types of tourists in Phuket who have no ability to defend themselves. Seriously, teenagers? That German was probably bigger than all of them combined. Get aggressive and they'll back down -- yes they will. Too many people here take the Neville Chamberlain approach when dealing with Thais which only makes matters worse. Stand up for yourself.

Not a responsible post at all!

Mostly, you are on their home territory, not that that's any excuse, but Thai's have a habit of responding or even initiating violence in 'numbers'

By this I mean, the history here is that 'one on one' encounters are vary rare and even in the case of Thai's in conflict with other Thai's, it's usually the fact that the offenders mostly operate in 'packs'

Standing up for yourself may have a nice ring to it and in some cases a worldly person, strong and not unused to violence and taking care of oneself, might win-out, however, the chance of this being the case would be vary rare.

It's now, moreso than ever the situation that violence, particularly against Farang, is on the increase and yes, here in this Tropical Resort which up until the 90's was beautiful and relaxing, care must be taken in where you may be alone or in small numbers.

Not too different to many places in the world, but don't let Thailand or any of the so-called resorts here fool you into a sense of not taking reasonable precautions is the best medicine.

Attempting to respond to violence with a defensive retaliation in the same vein will almost always leave you much worse off, particularly here where 'Smiles' are not necessarily universal with thugs, mainly roaming in packs!

Let the "Buyer" (in this case the lone tourist) be aware!

Good ,informed, accurate post..thumbsup.gif

Although I write of a single experience that happened at a Thai/Russian business, the same situation has happened to me with rip-off landlords from England, France, Germany, and Italy where the police support them and completely discriminate against me, although it's a case of foreigner against foreigner. The label of Nazi is not limited at all to Germans, by the way. Likewise, I have talked to Thai women who the police have disregarded after they have been ripped off by foreigner landlords or investors, and there is only the silencing of the Thai national and the foreigners get away with it and the less-favored Thai woman is left victimized with no recourse to justice.. I just use this personal example I had because I know that Thai people do not.favor Thais over foreigners, as so many of these articles state in Thai Visa. I have only seen Thai people bending over backwards to serve the white investors and foreigners living here as if they are royalty. It's disgusting to see how brainwashed they are. I also know 100% that I am not paranoid about the bigotry of universal anti-semitism, but it exists here and Thai people seem to want to impress their white ex-pat investors by behaving in racist and bigoted ways against Jews (and probably blacks too). I want to express a differing opinion here on Thai Visa and that it's extremely unlikely that foreigners, especially from Germany, get discriminated against when a crime is committed against them. I have seen this same deferential treatment of Thais to very bigoted foreigners over and over again in the many years I have lived here.

You have some serious issues mate.

• Like 2

If the police were worried more aobut stopping crime than extorting money - then these teenagers could easily be apprehended.

As a side note,

"I think they go out looking for drunk old men to target." Perhaps drunk people should not be driving motorbyces, young or old, farang or thai.

Unfortunately very few "old men" on a motor bikes in the middle of the night are sober I 'm affraid whistling.gif

... The Bangkok Post and The Nation tend to fancy themselves as serious newspapers covering everything in Thailand.

Every nation, or almost every nation, has an English language daily in the capital city that serves as a mouth piece for the government, an open "back channel". They ARE important to the diplomatic process.

... The Bangkok Post and The Nation tend to fancy themselves as serious newspapers covering everything in Thailand.

Every nation, or almost every nation, has an English language daily in the capital city that serves as a mouth piece for the government, an open "back channel". They ARE important to the diplomatic process.

What "diplomatic process" would that be? Foreigners have no rights here.

Of course we do. We have the right to bring our money here and spend it!

Don't follow your leap in "logic". Do you understand that diplomacy is nation-to-nation and has little or nothing to do with citizens rights.

Don't follow your leap in "logic". Do you understand that diplomacy is nation-to-nation and has little or nothing to do with citizens rights.

The Bangkok Post and The Nation are press media in English for english speaking/reading tourists and expats.

How do these newspapers assist in the "diplomatic process" between expats and the Thai Government when foreigners here have no rights? Eg. can't vote

I am sure the various Ambassadors from Embassies are better informed than information gleaned from The Bangkok Post and The Nation, in relation to the "diplomatic process."

The Bangkok Post and The Nation are press media in English for english speaking/reading tourists and expats.

How do these newspapers assist in the "diplomatic process" between expats and the Thai Government when foreigners here have no rights? Eg. can't vote

I am sure the various Ambassadors from Embassies are better informed than information gleaned from The Bangkok Post and The Nation, in relation to the "diplomatic process."

The diplomatic process involves diplomats from one country communicating with the diplomats of another country -- ambassadors and such, nothing to do with ordinary citizens of any kind.

For example, the USA government wants to tell the government of Myanmar that it's current human rights situation concerning minorities has raised some eyebrows in the Obama administration. The Obama admin has someone in the State Department call the Washington Post and say that there are some interesting things happening to the Rohingya . The Post publishes a report on the plight of the Rs, thus giving the M govt a heads up that America is at least lukewarm or perhaps unhappy about their treatment. If it is an op/ed or an opinion piece, that is a stronger expression of concern. Certain writers add strength to the message. Those writers becoming highly agitated further strengthens the message. When it is a government official quoted, then it is reaching the point of serious concern that might lead to governmental action on the part of that nation. (The USA is just an example for what happens all over the world.) No ruffling of diplomatic feathers by any government to govt communications. The next step is, if there is a real concern and that concern has not been addressed indirectly, is some intergovernmental or international action.

BTW, investors interested in a country will also read the article/"exchanges" as "statements" in those papers to get a feel for the investment environment there.

Edited by asupeartea

The diplomatic process involves diplomats from one country communicating with the diplomats of another country -- ambassadors and such, nothing to do with ordinary citizens of any kind.

For example, the USA government wants to tell the government of Myanmar that it's current human rights situation concerning minorities has raised some eyebrows in the Obama administration. The Obama admin has someone in the State Department call the Washington Post and say that there are some interesting things happening to the Rohingya . The Post publishes a report on the plight of the Rs, thus giving the M govt a heads up that America is at least lukewarm or perhaps unhappy about their treatment. If it is an op/ed or an opinion piece, that is a stronger expression of concern. Certain writers add strength to the message. Those writers becoming highly agitated further strengthens the message. When it is a government official quoted, then it is reaching the point of serious concern that might lead to governmental action on the part of that nation. (The USA is just an example for what happens all over the world.) No ruffling of diplomatic feathers by any government to govt communications. The next step is, if there is a real concern and that concern has not been addressed indirectly, is some intergovernmental or international action.

BTW, investors interested in a country will also read the article/"exchanges" as "statements" in those papers to get a feel for the investment environment there.

Are you saying, for example, members of The Thai Government read The Washington Post to "guage" some sentimnet as to the opinion of the American people in relation to some policies/isues in Thailand???? :) :)

We have yearly meetings of Ambassadors of the major tourist countries to Phuket and every year it's the same - tuk-tuks, jet-skis, robberies etc etc and nothing ever changes. They are simply not listen to, and you think The Washington Post may fix the transport problem here, for example. :) :) :) :)

Name one thing printed in The Bangkok Post, The Nation or The PG, that has forced positive change on Phuket.

A Thai hotel receptionist told me about an incident that occurred at the hotel where she works in Pattaya,

a motorcycle taxi pulled up in the early hours to drop off his fare, an English guest of the hotel,

he started arguing with the taxi guy who it turned out was demanding 3 times the normal fare, the guest refused, and gave the guy the amount other taxis had asked for every night over the preceding two weeks,

The Thai taxi guy returned later with three other Thai men on mopeds, and asked reception to ring the guest and ask him to come to reception as they wanted to talk to him, he arrived at reception and the taxi guy again demanded the large fare he had previously dreamed up, the guest refused again and the taxi guy feeling safe in the knowledge that his three monkey brained pals would back him up, took a swing at him,

my friend at the hotel told me it was over in a flash, the guest decked the taxi guy and two of his mates and went after the remaining guy who was running for his moped, he laid him out also, without breaking a sweat, seems they picked on the wrong guy.

The hotel called the police on behalf of the guest, but the taxi morons had long gone by the time they got to the hotel.

My friend at reception told me that the next morning the guest checked out telling reception there would be a good chance they would return with new troops armed with guns and knives, so it was better he moved on, I had to agree, that was probably the right move under the circumstances!

A Thai hotel receptionist told me about an incident that occurred at the hotel where she works in Pattaya,

a motorcycle taxi pulled up in the early hours to drop off his fare, an English guest of the hotel,

he started arguing with the taxi guy who it turned out was demanding 3 times the normal fare, the guest refused, and gave the guy the amount other taxis had asked for every night over the preceding two weeks,

The Thai taxi guy returned later with three other Thai men on mopeds, and asked reception to ring the guest and ask him to come to reception as they wanted to talk to him, he arrived at reception and the taxi guy again demanded the large fare he had previously dreamed up, the guest refused again and the taxi guy feeling safe in the knowledge that his three monkey brained pals would back him up, took a swing at him,

my friend at the hotel told me it was over in a flash, the guest decked the taxi guy and two of his mates and went after the remaining guy who was running for his moped, he laid him out also, without breaking a sweat, seems they picked on the wrong guy.

The hotel called the police on behalf of the guest, but the taxi morons had long gone by the time they got to the hotel.

My friend at reception told me that the next morning the guest checked out telling reception there would be a good chance they would return with new troops armed with guns and knives, so it was better he moved on, I had to agree, that was probably the right move under the circumstances!

Sounds like he had a great holiday experience with some nice Thai locals. :) :)

They should have called the police in stead of the guest, when the Thai-taxi guy returned alter with 3 other Thai men on mopeds.

The connection though with an older drunk guy getting mugged on Phuket after a night out is unclear to me.

Edited by stevenl