Engineer in the house?

Manassas

My wife's nephew is building a new house near us in the village. It's giving me the chance to see the local construction techniques. This is interesting as we plan to renovate our house (or just start over.) The traditional support structure is based on concrete pillars set in about 4m x 3.5m squares. Then they are connected on top by concrete beams. This seems very sturdy and easily supports a second floor or the roof.

The downside is the house has support pillars in the middle of the larger rooms, every 3.5m. Not a disaster, but a bit awkward. My wife also advises that one cannot sleep under one of the support beams, but that's another story.

The expat homes I've seen, while still largely in concrete, do not have so many support pillars in large rooms. How do the builders of the western-style homes build without so many pillars?

Cheers

I am no engineer but in our house they seemed to use more and better quality rebar and poured the concrete into standing molds. Smaller quicker builds may just use pre made pillars which could be less robust. We got away with spans of up to six meters between pillars but the roof spans were heavy duty steel and much longer due to the angle of the roof. We also used pilings instead of footers for anchoring the foundation.

• Like 1

You may rest assured that they will not listen to a farang and they insist on doing it their way. Even with a gun in the back of their head they won't listen to reason.

If you are considering a new house I recommend that you destroy the old one and start over using Q-Con Blocks for construction. They have pre molded windows and door frames. Easy to install, cut with a hand saw and highly insulative and sound abating. You may have seen some of these blocks they usually are about 6 x 6 inches and then 24 inches long. You can build up to 2 stories. You don't have to do any concrete pouring except the floor.

You can rest assured, that if you use a decent professional contractor and not family members, they will indeed listen to reason and follow the blueprints. There are presently more options for building materials than when we did our build. Look around at what is available and make up your own mind.smile.png

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

We used local labour, some of who were family, and they followed any suggestions I made.

Trying to work out the translation for ceiling insulation batts was a challenge in itself but once they knew what we wanted we searched the town until we found them.

I knew a few tricks with timber that they hadn't heard of either.

• Like 1

I only know enough about building to get myself into trouble. But I've owned enough homes to know what makes a house a comfortable home. Insulating the roof is one. When I raised this the locals knew about insulation materials but skipped it on their houses to save cost. Then just good quality basics like windows, cabinets, counter tops etc.

A good professional contractor who will use good materials seems to be the key. How hard is it to find one?

• Like 1

The only professional contractor I know here is Mr. Wim a Dutchman from Holland who has built about 200 houses. All others that I have experienced give you the standard Thai building BS where cheap is best. Wim knows his business but you still a good set of engineering drawings, a bill of specified materials, a building project work plan including progress payments for progress. Remember they hold back enough money and drain change orders out of you to the point that some walk away without ever finishing the job and they planned it like this because they got their money up front by over charging and change orders. Insulation in the ceiling along with ventilation is a must. A single point grounding system for all wall plugs is also a must. The Thai copied plugs and switches are no good. Use true National or Panasonic.

The only professional contractor I know here is Mr. Wim a Dutchman from Holland who has built about 200 houses. All others that I have experienced give you the standard Thai building BS where cheap is best. Wim knows his business but you still a good set of engineering drawings, a bill of specified materials, a building project work plan including progress payments for progress. Remember they hold back enough money and drain change orders out of you to the point that some walk away without ever finishing the job and they planned it like this because they got their money up front by over charging and change orders. Insulation in the ceiling along with ventilation is a must. A single point grounding system for all wall plugs is also a must. The Thai copied plugs and switches are no good. Use true National or Panasonic.

maybe you can share his number .... thanks DB

I managed to get a house built with only one free standing pillar, in an 8m x 8m room.

We timbered it over and I hung horse brasses on it.

Reminds me, they need a polish, anyone got any good brass polishing hints?

Good morning sceu, i have always used brasso , i dont know if you can get it here , maybe i can look for you down here if you want ..

Brasso is a metal polish designed to remove tarnish from brass, copper, chrome and stainless steel. It is available either directly as a liquid or as an impregnated wadding pad.

Other applications
  • It is used to polish CDs, DVDs, screens, and pools in order to repair scratches. It is a mild solvent and an extremely fine abrasive, so when applied to the reflective surface of the disc and rubbed radially (in straight lines between the edge and center), it can smooth scratches and reduce their effect.
  • Brasso has also been used by watch enthusiasts to polish scratches out of acrylic crystals on watches.
  • Brasso can be used to clean Nintendo Entertainment System cartridges to remove dirt buildup that may have accumulated on the metal contacts over the years. This helps to create a better connection between the game cartridge and the 72-Pin connector inside the console, reducing the chances of glitching or freezing caused by a poor connection.

Brasso can be successfully used to take minor (white) heat marks out of French polished wooden surfaces. The fine abrasive cuts through the surface and allows the solvent into the wax and lacquer layer. The surface should be properly cleaned and waxed after this treatment.

cheers

kevvy

post-164407-0-13481200-1377060687_thumb.

Never seen it here Kevvy, indeed it's not as common in Australia as it used to be now that everything is chrome plated.

I'll check on the internet, there will be some sort of home made remedy there for sure.

I need to put considerable thought into such a major project anyway.

For those interested in Q-Con construction techniques and materials google Q-Con Thailand.

These blocks can support 2 levels and the roof trusses.

Is there a brand of 'pre molded windows and door frames' that you prefer?

Never seen it here Kevvy, indeed it's not as common in Australia as it used to be now that everything is chrome plated.

I'll check on the internet, there will be some sort of home made remedy there for sure.

I need to put considerable thought into such a major project anyway.

How about a combination of coke and whitening toothpaste? I know whitening toothpaste being slightly abrasive is used on glass for minor scratches and coke we all know what that stuff can do. Just a thought anyhow!

I managed to get a house built with only one free standing pillar, in an 8m x 8m room.

Good morning sceu, i have always used brasso , i dont know if you can get it here , maybe i can look for you down here if you want ..

Brasso is a metal polish designed to remove tarnish from brass, copper, chrome and stainless steel. It is available either directly as a liquid or as an impregnated wadding pad.

Other applications
  • It is used to polish CDs, DVDs, screens, and pools in order to repair scratches. It is a mild solvent and an extremely fine abrasive, so when applied to the reflective surface of the disc and rubbed radially (in straight lines between the edge and center), it can smooth scratches and reduce their effect.
  • Brasso has also been used by watch enthusiasts to polish scratches out of acrylic crystals on watches.
  • Brasso can be used to clean Nintendo Entertainment System cartridges to remove dirt buildup that may have accumulated on the metal contacts over the years. This helps to create a better connection between the game cartridge and the 72-Pin connector inside the console, reducing the chances of glitching or freezing caused by a poor connection.

Brasso can be successfully used to take minor (white) heat marks out of French polished wooden surfaces. The fine abrasive cuts through the surface and allows the solvent into the wax and lacquer layer. The surface should be properly cleaned and waxed after this treatment.

cheers

kevvy

Something I have totally refused to use since leaving the army.

Other applications

cheers

kevvy

Something I have totally refused to use since leaving the army.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I understand polish everything so it looks like mirror solider:p

Back to the OP's original question. You can build anything in Thailand. You only need a good architect to draw up the plans properly. As mentioned in the second post, longer spans can be incorporated into the design by increasing the amount of rebar inside the columnns and beams, thus eliminating any columns in the middle of your room. I would never build anything without a good set of plans. And then you must monitor the contractor's performance every day to ensure he's following the plans exactly (no short cuts allowed). You can assure yourself of good quality materials at a reasonable price by purchasing everything yourself and only having the contractor provide the construction labor. It's not hard to do and some people actually find it quite exciting. To select a quality builder, you should view what he has built already. Talk to the owner's of the homes and see if they have any complaints about the construction. Most Thai's will be happy to talk to you about their experiences associated with the construction of their home. Good luck!

• Like 2

I have to say, I really don’t recognize the world you live in Don. Our contractor and his wife were great and years later they are still friends. Everything was very professional and there was no cheating or skimping on materials. The payment schedule was adhered to and there were no advances. Sure things went wrong during the build but he was very good at sorting things out in a timely manner.

The builders did a great job with your house. There are many design aspects to your house that could be a forum thread in itself. Your interior tiling and open spaciousness are just some of the many points that could be talked about. :)

• Like 1

I have to say, I really don’t recognize the world you live in Don. Our contractor and his wife were great and years later they are still friends. Everything was very professional and there was no cheating or skimping on materials. The payment schedule was adhered to and there were no advances. Sure things went wrong during the build but he was very good at sorting things out in a timely manner.

The builders did a great job with your house. There are many design aspects to your house that could be a forum thread in itself. Your interior tiling and open spaciousness are just some of the many points that could be talked about. smile.png

Very kind of you Garry, but we both know there are those in Chiang Rai who think I get too much attention as it is.wink.png I am trying to keep things focused on Chiang Rai more than on me.thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

I am sure some of you have tried this before - non-gel white toothpaste works wonders on brass. Try it - and it smells better than brasso!

You may rest assured that they will not listen to a farang and they insist on doing it their way. Even with a gun in the back of their head they won't listen to reason.

If you are considering a new house I recommend that you destroy the old one and start over using Q-Con Blocks for construction. They have pre molded windows and door frames. Easy to install, cut with a hand saw and highly insulative and sound abating. You may have seen some of these blocks they usually are about 6 x 6 inches and then 24 inches long. You can build up to 2 stories. You don't have to do any concrete pouring except the floor.

I have been reading up on Q-Con and Super Block. The specifications on insulation value and relative cost etc are impressive. But I've seen references to avoiding them kitchens as they don't support cabinets and avoiding them in bathrooms because they tend to absorb the water. Does anybody have experience with this?

I remember our contractor mentioning similar drawbacks but no I don’t have any personal experience. Another thing to consider is that you may not want to force an unfamiliar building material on workers with no previous experience. You won’t enjoy being the test subject, where they learn how to work with something new.

Q-Con blocks need to have rendering when they are finished. Most bathrooms have tiles on the walls and floors so you need not concern yourself with moisture collection. For hanging cabinets. Good bolts and flanges on the outside are sufficient for support. Not sure who put out this information but don't believe that it came from the supplier.