BIR addict trying to source spices in Bangkok

Bmouthboyo

Hey guys,

in the UK i perfected to art of cooking British Indian Restaurant curries. Huge scene in recreating them and would love to knock the odd one out here in BKK from time to time.

I need to first source all the spices I need and finding it somewhat difficult to find a few. I have not yet however headed to the indian quarter in the city where I am hoping I can source the ones I cant find. Could anyone glance over the list and highlight any I may struggle to find, and if possible recommend local / thai alternatives.

tumeric powder

coriander powder

Sweet paprika powder

Curry powder

cumin powder

dried fenugreek leaves

ginger powder

Onion powder

cardamon powder

fenugreek powder

coriander seeds

cumin seeds

garlic powder (not garlic salt!)

mango powder

dried mint leaves

powdered red food colouring

powdered yellow food colouring

Concentrated tomato paste

Tamarind concentrated

Jaggery sugar

White vinegar

Ghost chillies

Star aniseed

Cloves

Cardamon (green / black)

Cinnamon / cassia bark

Coconut milk powder

Chilli powder

Almond / cashew meal

Cheers

Edited by Bmouthboyo

Makro has loads, quality is variable though that should get your list a lot shorter. Sri Narakin road has one in Bangkok.

I tried the same thing with the Indian quarter but the place was such a dump I couldn't bring myself to buy anything in the whole area.

Theres an Indian shop on Suk soi 18 and some others around that others know of.

Central world and Paragon supermarkets have plenty and some hard to find ones.

There's a good Big C at mega Bang Na with lots of stuff you might need.

tumeric powder Makro, pretty much any supermarket, should be in local shops as used in Thai cooking and fresh turmeric is available on the markets.
coriander powder As above used in Thai cooking or coriander seeds done fresh in a spice grinder are better.
Sweet paprika powder Good paprika is hard to find. Paprika is available at makro but never says if sweet or not.
Curry powder Thai, American and Indian available in most supermarkets.
cumin powder Cumin makro and western aimed// upmarket shops/supermarkets
dried fenugreek leaves ..........................
ginger powder DOn't know but obviously fresh ginger is available at every market
Onion powder ......................
cardamon powder DOn't think I've seen powder but pods available at Makro.
fenugreek powder ........................................
coriander seeds Available everywhere
cumin seeds Makro
garlic powder (not garlic salt!) Makro
mango powder .................................
dried mint leaves Nope but available fresh on markets.
powdered red food colouring Lot in the fast imerging bakery shops and bakery aisles in supermarkets
powdered yellow food colouring as above
Concentrated tomato paste Available in tins in supermarkets, makro from tiny ones to huge ones.
Tamarind concentrated Can buy fresh tamarind at every market and tamarind paste is available in supermarkets.
Jaggery sugar ..........................
White vinegar Central world supermarket
Ghost chillies ...........................
Star aniseed again used in Thai/Chinese cooking in supermarkets and Makro probably local markets too.
Cloves Supermarkets and Makro
Cardamon (green / black) Makro
Cinnamon / cassia bark Again used in Thai Chinese cooking Makro markets supermarkets
Coconut milk powder Powder not that I can think of but obviously coconuts and coconut milk are available everywhere.
Chilli powder Everywhere
Almond / cashew meal Whole Almonds available at makro, cashews obviously available everywhere. Meal, no idea.

• Like 1

No problem. Good luck.

I presumed you meant white wine vinegar , yes available at central world supermarket .Makro (Chonburi) has got different vinegars in now Malt, Apple cider so maybe they may have it as well.

If you meant just clear vinegar then you can get that in supermarkets, Big C and Tesco.

Ok so makro was a gold mine for a good majority of them thanks arthurwait smile.png but still a few I couldn't find.

Mainly need:

Garlic powder

Ginger powder

Onion powder

Tamarind concentrate

Going to try villa now so wish me luck!

Garlic, Ginger and Onion powder, sorry cant understand why you would use dried powdered ingredients when you can get the real deal fresh?

Tamarind paste at any local market.

Ok so makro was a gold mine for a good majority of them thanks arthurwait smile.png but still a few I couldn't find.

Mainly need:

Garlic powder

Ginger powder

Onion powder

Tamarind concentrate

Garlic, Ginger and Onion powder, sorry cant understand why you would use dried powdered ingredients when you can get the real deal fresh?

Because when you make your own spice blend / massala you need dry powdered spices. These are then fried slightly in the oil before adding the meat etc to release the oils. Most recipes use fresh ginger and garlic in addition.

Mainly need:

Garlic powder

Ginger powder

Onion powder

Tamarind concentrate

Because when you make your own spice blend / massala you need dry powdered spices. These are then fried slightly in the oil before adding the meat etc to release the oils. Most recipes use fresh ginger and garlic in addition.

This may sound a bit crazy but ummm, you could buy garlic, ginger, and onion and umm, dry them in the sun and then grind them. biggrin.png

Not trying to be critical but life is going to be a lot easier for you if you learn to adapt how you do things a little rather than being a slave to the notions of how you did things back home.

I actually enjoy the challenge of looking at things differently to find a way to make/do something that would be simple to do in the west. It actually works both ways. In the west I can't just pop over to the market and pick up some nam prik pao so I had to learn to make it myself. In Thailand I have to make things that I could find in any western grocery store.

It is getting easier to find western items in Thailand, for instance 10 years ago there was only one store in my province that stocked diet coke and now most stores have it, but come on man show some adaptability. It is no great trick to cut up some garlic and put it in the sun.

Mainly need:

Garlic powder

Ginger powder

Onion powder

Tamarind concentrate

This may sound a bit crazy but ummm, you could buy garlic, ginger, and onion and umm, dry them in the sun and then grind them. biggrin.png

Not trying to be critical but life is going to be a lot easier for you if you learn to adapt how you do things a little rather than being a slave to the notions of how you did things back home.

I actually enjoy the challenge of looking at things differently to find a way to make/do something that would be simple to do in the west. It actually works both ways. In the west I can't just pop over to the market and pick up some nam prik pao so I had to learn to make it myself. In Thailand I have to make things that I could find in any western grocery store.

It is getting easier to find western items in Thailand, for instance 10 years ago there was only one store in my province that stocked diet coke and now most stores have it, but come on man show some adaptability. It is no great trick to cut up some garlic and put it in the sun.

I can see where your coming from, don't get me wrong i am by no means a Mc Donald's, Pizza and Steak man out here, i love the thai food. It has been surprising how much of the spices I cook with back home that originate from India next door are hard to come by, I guess its the colonial days that rooted Indian food (albeit a bit bastardised) into UK culture and food.

Anyhow i have most of the spices now thanks to the help here, just a few odds to keep an eye out for. Curry leaves, fenugreek leaves, onion powder / salt, mango powder. On the whole successful shopping :)