Cheap calls to Thailand from a UK mobile phone

sumrit

This is really for people based in the UK who regularly phone to Thailand.

A friend has just sent me this info about another mobile phone sim card option. Apparently their service 'piggybacks' on the O2 network.

I didn't take much notice until he pointed out that when you top up you get the option of including a £10 add on which gives you International calls to Thailand for just 3p per minute.

Three pence per minute for a direct dial to Thailand on your mobile, without having to use any of your allotted 'free minutes', is probably as good a deal as you can get at the moment.

I know there are cheaper options available but they're only from fixed landlines. This gives the convenience of using your mobile, and you're not tied into any long term contracts.

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

You've got it wrong. There is no £10 add-on that gives you calls for for 3p per minute.

In fact, the standard price to Thailand mobiles is 3p per minute and to landlines, 12p per minute.

In addition, if you order a SIM card from an existing user you get a £5 credit on on top of your first £10 top up. The credit doesn't expire as long as you use the SIM for a chargeable event at least once every six months or receive at least four, ten second calls. You also get free calls, text messages and video calls to other GiffGaff SIMs for three months when you top up £10.

Best of all, 0800/0808/0500 numbers are free with GiffGaff, so you can utilise even cheaper calling options.

http://giffgaff.com/index/pricing

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

You've got it wrong. There is no £10 add-on that gives you calls for for 3p per minute.

http://giffgaff.com/index/pricing

Sorry, I didn't make it very clear did I. Because there is no contract there is no bill. ,you just pay for a plan (goodybag) each month. These plans are for internal UK use within the plan you've chosen.

For extras, such as international calls, you have to put credit on first, before you can make a call. I'm in Thailand so haven't tried it myself but my friend told me the minimum top up was £10 and that's what I was calling an 'add-on'.

That credit will last until it's used up, regardless of how long that takes and even if any plan you've had has already finished and not been renewed. It's not tied to any 'goodybag' you've paid for.

You don't have to buy a 'Goodybag' at all.

It goes without saying that you have to put credit on a PAYG SIM. :)

What you actually wrote was;

when you top up you get the option of including a £10 add on which gives you International calls to Thailand for just 3p per minute

You don't need an 'add on, nor a 'goodybag' if you don't want one. You order a SIM, top it up with £10 to activate it and make your calls. Best to order through an existing member than direct from GiffGaff, as you get an extra £5 added to your first £10 top up.

You can call Thailand mobiles direct or use a callthrough system such as 18185 to cut the cost to both landlines and mobiles to 1.5p per minute.

You can buy a Goodybag(using your existing credit or otherwise) and add a BlackBerry package for £2.50 if necessary.

It's a very useful Blackberry package. ;)

You could also try Lycamobile or Lebara whose rates are pretty competitive, Lyca for example are advertising calls to Thailand from UK 1p per mintute to landline, 6p to a mobile and 12p for an SMS, not forgetting also Lyca and lebara sometimes have special offers which give you extra credit, especially when topping up online, example top up £20 and get £10 free, which makes calls even cheaper.

http://www.lycamobile.co.uk/en/Auto-Top-up-offer

There are other firms out there, it's a case of shopping around and finding a deal that suits you..

Edited by MB1

You could also try Lycamobile or Lebara whose rates are pretty competitive, Lyca for example are advertising calls to Thailand from UK 1p per mintute to landline, 6p to a mobile and 12p for an SMS, not forgetting also Lyca and lebara sometimes have special offers which give you extra credit, especially when topping up online, example top up £20 and get £10 free, which makes calls even cheaper.

There are other firms out there, it's a case of shopping around and finding a deal that suits you..

Not such a good deal when you look more closely.....the free credit is time limited.

So imagine that you topped up by £20 online to make calls to Thailand.....you would have to use up the £20 top up within a month before you could even start to use your free credit....and then you would have to use all of it before the month ended.

So fine if you speak for 50 hours per month to Thailand landlines. Not so good otherwise...especially when most call to Thailand mobiles.^6 baht per min). Otherwise not good at all.

Lebara, much the same with 6 baht a min to mobiles.

If you are going to post these things, be clear with the pros and cons. Most people don't want to have to plough through the small print.

Not such a good deal when you look more closely.....the free credit is time limited.

So imagine that you topped up by £20 online to make calls to Thailand.....you would have to use up the £20 top up within a month before you could even start to use your free credit....and then you would have to use all of it before the month ended.

So fine if you speak for 50 hours per month to Thailand landlines. Not so good otherwise...especially when most call to Thailand mobiles.^6 baht per min). Otherwise not good at all.

If you are going to post these things, be clear with the pros and cons. Most people don't want to have to plough through the small print.

Did you note I said at the end of my post " It's a case of shopping around and finding a deal that suits you"....

I also provided a link for anyone who wanted to take a look at the pro's and cons for themselves, some of us do spend hours a month talking on the phone to Thailand or texting and just so you know, you don't have to use all your credit phoning Thailand, some people use Lebara or Lyca as a UK pay as you go phone and use it for UK to UK calls or SMS...

Oh and one more point, if your going to try and put me down for not posting the pro's and cons, do me a favour and use UK pence instead of Thai baht, I wrote 6p per minute and not 6 Baht, we don't want to confuse people now, do we, so you take care in future with ref to what you post, if the cap fits then wear it eh..?.

HTH.

Edited by MB1

Did you note I said at the end of my post " It's a case of shopping around and finding a deal that suits you"....

I also provided a link for anyone who wanted to take a look at the pro's and cons for themselves, some of us do spend hours a month talking on the phone to Thailand or texting and just so you know, you don't have to use all your credit phoning Thailand, some people use Lebara or Lyca as a UK pay as you go phone and use it for UK to UK calls or SMS...

Oh and one more point, if your going to try and put me down for not posting the pro's and cons, do me a favour and use UK pence instead of Thai baht, I wrote 6p per minute and not 6 Baht, we don't want to confuse people now, do we, so you take care in future with ref to what you post, if the cap fits then wear it eh..?.

HTH.

You think 6p per minute to mobiles and 12p per text is good value? What is the point of "it's a case of shopping around and finding a deal that suits you"...when the original deal is simply better than the options that you posted in the first place?

This thread is about communication to Thailand. Giffgaffs standard charges are 3p per minute to mobiles and 8p for text messages. So if we are talking about calls to Thai mobiles and text messages, GiffGaff is cheaper than both of your options...even with their gimmicks. Calls can be futher reduced through freephone access.

No need for smoke and mirrors with the likes of Lyca and Lebara.

I don't need to stoop to sad tactics of whether someone typed something by accident to try to regain face.

I don't need to stoop to sad tactics of whether someone typed something by accident to try to regain face.

If your going to try and put someone down for what they post, make sure you yourself get things correct, by mentioning accident are you not trying to gain face yourself ehfacepalm.gif , an apology would have been suffice, by the way I'm not Thai, so no loss of face to me...

As this thread title is about communication/cheap calls to Thailand and not soley about giff gaff what I post IMO has some bearing to the topic and is IMO on topic,If the title of the topic was Giff Gaff I could be cosidered off topic, you want to use giff gaff, fine, up to you, if other people want to use other operators then fine, up to them..

Maybe if you email giff gaff and give them a link to the TV topic they might give you some free credit for actively promoting them..

Have a nice day..

HTH.

@ the below post, get over your self jiu jitsu, and get over your superior posts...LMAO at your superiority complex..

Edited by MB1

If your going to try and put someone down for what they post, make sure you yourself get things correct, by mentioning accident are you not trying to gain face yourself ehfacepalm.gif , an apology would have been suffice, by the way I'm not Thai, so no loss of face to me...

As this thread title is about communication/cheap calls to Thailand and not soley about giff gaff what I post IMO has some bearing to the topic and is IMO on topic,If the title of the topic was Giff Gaff I could be cosidered off topic, you want to use giff gaff, fine, up to you, if other people want to use other operators then fine, up to them..

Maybe if you email giff gaff and give them a link to the TV topic they might give you some free credit for actively promoting them..

Have a nice day..

HTH.

What a ridiculous ramble.... my point is that your 'suggestions' were inferior in every way to the original post. So a waste of yours, mine and everyone else time, whosoever bothers to read your posts.

Hopefully they'll read this post before bothering.

Look up "localphone".You pay up front , calls to any Thai number (land line or mobile )ia less than 2 (two) pence per minute.No contract.Minutes used are separate from any minutes on your plan.Seems to work by bouncing your call through a "local" network.Have used this company for several years,no problems or hidden charges.Just have a look on google.

Look up "localphone".You pay up front , calls to any Thai number (land line or mobile )ia less than 2 (two) pence per minute.No contract.Minutes used are separate from any minutes on your plan.Seems to work by bouncing your call through a "local" network.Have used this company for several years,no problems or hidden charges.Just have a look on google.

Problem here is that you will need inclusive minutes to call the Localphone number or have to pay for the call to connect to it..

Though if you have an Android Smartphone or iPhone/iPad, you can use the Localphone App via WiFi/3G.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about previous post hit wrong button, if you have O2 sim try the international calling card bought in any branch for £5 a pop calls to Thai mobiles charged at 2p a minute no hidden charges etc

No need to have any money on the actual sim : just an O2 number.

Have been using this for a good few months while in UK no problems great quality.

• 10 months later...

I have a girlfriend in Korat and use a local call service. I dial 0843 015 5341 and then just enter her Mobile number and am connected. The call is charged at 0.5p per minute, I did not need to signup for anything, I think there is a connection charge of about 20p but then only pay the per minute charge. Been using it for almost a year now, occasionally get disconnected by probably only 1 in 20 calls.

I have a girlfriend in Korat and use a local call service. I dial 0843 015 5341 and then just enter her Mobile number and am connected. The call is charged at 0.5p per minute, I did not need to signup for anything, I think there is a connection charge of about 20p but then only pay the per minute charge. Been using it for almost a year now, occasionally get disconnected by probably only 1 in 20 calls.

Are those charges from a mobile phone?

leeboy666 didn't bother to look a the title before posting.

Hmm yeah sorry should have read the title fully. No the charges are from a landline.

When I call from my mobile I use a top up service, if you Text LOWCALL to 81616 for a £5 top-up then I dial 03700 415 341 which I can call free with my inclusive minutes, it then only costs me 1p per minute from the credit I topped up.

I speak most days for about 15 minutes or so and I only costs me about £6 per month.

For those unaware of it

Viber

and quite a few others offer free calls

Of course provisos need enough bandwidth and the receiver needs to enroll

You can also buy Skype credit to call anyone

I find this combo unbeatable worldwide

DTAC roaming is poor too slow sms to bank as you need anter password in 5 mins from some of my bank stuff one DTAC sms arrived 3 days later !

Skype also has webcam video option if bandwidth speed etc ok

Can also download skype onto your mobile

Hmm yeah sorry should have read the title fully. No the charges are from a landline.

When I call from my mobile I use a top up service, if you Text LOWCALL to 81616 for a £5 top-up then I dial 03700 415 341 which I can call free with my inclusive minutes, it then only costs me 1p per minute from the credit I topped up.

I speak most days for about 15 minutes or so and I only costs me about £6 per month.

I use Skype for phoning back to the UK but haven't looked at their UK to Thailand rates for a long time. But after seeing RubbaJonny's post I had a look at Skype's latest call rates to a mobile in Thailand from the UK.

For those who have got completely unlimited 3G on their mobile (eg: £12pm with giffgaff, from £12.90 with 3, both including free minutes etc) Skype's new lower rates now look a really good deal. The person in Thailand doesn't need Skype, they receive it as a normal call. PLUS you're not using up any of your inclusive minutes that you do with schemes like LOWCALL..

Put the Skype app on your mobile and you can call all Thai mobiles and landlines for between 0.8p and 1.4p per minute with a one off connection fee of 3.1 pence.

Of course it's only attractive if you are paying for an unlimited 3G internet connection anyway, and for those who only get a limited (500meg, 1gig, etc 3G connection be careful. A Skype video call will eat into your data allowance very quickly and you could end up with a big bill for exceeding your allowance.

Edited by sumrit