Cost of a buffalo?

Saan

Why are buffalo desired? They don't use them to till the fields anymore. The meat is not very good.

On the contrary ... there has been a big return to the buffalo due to rising fuel costs. As for the meat ... I love it, and so do many others. The milk is a good low fat alternative to cows milk too.

Just asked one of my guys (local) and he recons a good Buff (don't ask me what...etc) around here goes for Bt.17-20 K and a young one from about 6,000 upwards.

When it comes to cows however our next door neighbour (got milk farm) recons he only keeps the female calves while the males get one day of freedom to stagger around before doing a presentation on the bar-b-q.

Going rates from about 1000 Bt each but assume that you have to do the "business"......

.don't worry NO Pictures...

• Like 1

The other way around in the KC area. Two cows,one pregnant 40k..Male buffalo for 25k. White male buffalo 50k.

What's a 'White male buffalo 50' look like?

Look in the mirror...

Ha ha, sorry I couldn't resist.

Christmas Card list ...

smokie36 ...

Street Cowboy

payboy

pigeonjake

Crossy

jimcollister (pushed through the wooden door)

canuckamuck

Actually ... I was thinking more along the lines of ...

porky-farang.jpg

• Like 1

The other way around in the KC area. Two cows,one pregnant 40k..Male buffalo for 25k. White male buffalo 50k.

Look in the mirror...

Christmas Card list ...

smokie36 ...

Street Cowboy

payboy

pigeonjake

Crossy

canuckamuck

porky-farang.jpg

Yep, good eye.

• Like 1

Look in the mirror...

Christmas Card list ...

smokie36 ...

Street Cowboy

payboy

pigeonjake

Crossy

canuckamuck

porky-farang.jpg

Good gawd man does TB know you are putting his photo up?

Female buffaloes are used for breeding (as has been pointed out), therefore it's only the females that produce milk (no tits on a buffalo bull of course). As genuine mozzarella cheese is made from buffalo milk (not cow's) the O.P. could consider a profitable sideline in cheesemaking. All monies generated could be used to treat any of the buffaloes that get sick.

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

• Like 2

Female buffaloes are used for breeding (as has been pointed out), therefore it's only the females that produce milk (no tits on a buffalo bull of course). As genuine mozzarella cheese is made from buffalo milk (not cow's) the O.P. could consider a profitable sideline in cheesemaking. All monies generated could be used to treat any of the buffaloes that get sick.

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

post-142120-0-41437700-1370306701_thumb. .........coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I want a buffalo or two too.

I was elated to hear from missus about our friend Dow last month.

Dow had been kind of held up in a small road bua slow moving pick up.

It had a buffalo cow, sort of to thirds grown, in the back

She loves dogs, and now we introduced her to her now husband has very adequate funding.

She's still lovely.

She stopped the driver, learned he was heading to the slaugterhouse, and bought the buffalo on the spot.

My missus told me she wanted me to take it over as she's abroad most of the time (obviously I couldn't sell it, but Mrs

Cheeryble bro-in-law breeds fancy cows as a hobby in CR and would tend it for sure.

It was in the vacant lot next to a friends house in Mae Jo.

Long story short some relative of Mae Jo friend already booked it.

But WHY did I want a buffalo?

They are wonderful relaxing and honest creatures.

I just like to see them.

I still want a couple.

Edited by cheeryble

I agree, water buffalo must be one of the nicest creatures on this Earth. Docile, placid yes, but I don't agree that they're all that stupid. Give me a buff over a cow any day. Buffaloes don't kick for a start, the cows don't try to gore you when they have a young calf, and you're much more likely to run into a cow in the road than a buffalo. As for getting sick, many times I've had to get the Vet for a sick cow, never once for my buffaloes.

Why are buffalo desired? They don't use them to till the fields anymore. The meat is not very good.

On the contrary ... there has been a big return to the buffalo due to rising fuel costs. As for the meat ... I love it, and so do many others. The milk is a good low fat alternative to cows

Real Mozzarella cheese can only be made from water buffalo milk.

Italians bred water buffalo to increase their milk production a long time ago and until recently had the only herds suitable for producing cheese in quantity.

Recently some Californians have started breeding them with high mil / cheese production as their goal. It is working but will take time to get high production herds there.

With all of the Kwai in Thailand, I think it is a good possible future industry here.

" Thai Kwai Mozzarella Cheese Company"

post-147745-0-33130100-1377238619_thumb.

I agree, water buffalo must be one of the nicest creatures on this Earth. Docile, placid yes, but I don't agree that they're all that stupid. Give me a buff over a cow any day. Buffaloes don't kick for a start, the cows don't try to gore you when they have a young calf, and you're much more likely to run into a cow in the road than a buffalo. As for getting sick, many times I've had to get the Vet for a sick cow, never once for my buffaloes.

Not too placid in the Northern Territory in Australia. They are wild and can be very mean. They are also a pest because of the damage they do to the land and disease. There has been some effort to re-domesticate them.

Even the domestic ones have their bad days and people do get killed.

True. Different animals have different temperaments. I've never had a 'stroppy' buffalo, but know of some that have, albeit quite rare. The bulls will fight each other if they're competing for a cow in season and can inflict quite nasty wounds on each other, wounds that could perhaps kill a person.

Even the domestic ones have their bad days and people do get killed.

True. Different animals have different temperaments. I've never had a 'stroppy' buffalo, but know of some that have, albeit quite rare. The bulls will fight each other if they're competing for a cow in season and can inflict quite nasty wounds on each other, wounds that could perhaps kill a person.

Sounds like an average day in Walking Street! cheesy.gifgiggle.gif

The creation of a herd was started today with the purchase of a buffalo and young heifer for 20,000 baht. FIL seems mightily happy about it and so is mia which is what the exercise is all about. I hope to increase the numbers with a young heifer or 2 every 6 or so months until they can start selling a couple of grown beasties every year.

Thanks again for all the information as it gave me a bench mark to work on.

• Like 2