BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Forethat

Tapeworm - an expat sweepstake

How many out of 6 expats in Thailand was infected with tapeworm?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As the title suggest, this is about tapeworm. A rather unpleasant parasitic flatworm that lives in the digestive tract. In case you've never heard of it, now you have.

So there we were, 6 friends, expats and fellow rugby lovers (that's an irrelevant piece of information, right there) enjoying a beer discussing the 2013 Lions tour results. For some unexplainable reason, the discussion came to cover tapeworms. At that point one of us questioned whether it was feasible that one or more of us was infected by tapeworm.

So, to make a long story short, we decided to bet on the number of us infected with tapeworm. One week later, we delivered our stool samples and awaited the results (and I just want add, on a personal note, that this is one of the most bizarre things I've ever done).

I will reveal the results in a couple of days, but until then you're free top enter my virtual sweepstake by voting on what you believe is the correct number of expats, out of 6, infected with tapeworm.

Relevant facts:

6 expats

One Australian, five Europeans.

All have lived at least 3 years in LOS

Good luck!

Edited by Forethat

Someone brought up tapeworm? Party pooper.

no poll needed. Foreigners who intend to live in Thailand, will collect all information regarding their

new home.

To get infested with a tapeworm is rare in rural Thailand. The people are aware of it, The King told them.

Only problem that can arise is the kids forget it. The kids are the future. They rent out the water buckets

to you.

1 plus 1 is two. Never trust anything here.

CG

Why is there no "0" option?

Wouldn't have been much of a thread if nobody had them....

Why is there no "0" option?

Wouldn't have been much of a thread if nobody had them....

Or one ... coffee1.gif

who cares? thailand full time since 1996 and i dont know ANYONE who has ever had a tapeworm.

know a few fat bastards that could use one though

I think the point in the OP is that many people have got them without being aware of it.

then it aint that bad is it?

No relation at all.

Many people are walking around with all kind of health problems without knowing it:

HIV, cancer, diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, thryroid disease, etc.

i suspect the point was to make us all play a silly little guessing game. if the post were intended to be informative we would have the results of their tests already.

who cares? thailand full time since 1996 and i dont know ANYONE who has ever had a tapeworm.

Neither of us had heard of anyone with tapeworm, so no difference there

Since tapeworm is generally acquired from incompletely cooked meat/fish, it would help to know something of the eating habits of the farang in question.

I would say pretty much normal eating habits. A mixture of everything, obviously biased towards Thai food because we're in Thailand.

i suspect the point was to make us all play a silly little guessing game. if the post were intended to be informative we would have the results of their tests already.

Nope, the point is I wanted to find out if our understanding of tapeworm infection rate in LOS is representative for the average expat.