Tapeworm - an expat sweepstake

Forethat

How many out of 6 expats in Thailand was infected with tapeworm?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How many out of 6 expats in Thailand was infected with tapeworm?

This poll is closed to new votes

And the answer is....all of us. 6 expats.

That's right. We were all infected with tapeworm. Every single one of us.

What is so disturbing with this, something Jingthing immediately recognised, is the general belief is that when you suffer from a tapeworm infection you lose weight and become skinny, but a lot of expats are probably infected without being aware of it . I was the one who brought it up because I have undergone tapeworm treatment a couple of times now so I now how easy it is to catch.

As Sheryl pointed out, this is a parasitic infection you're likely to catch if you eat undercooked meat (or fish). If you eat a steak that is only a fraction undercooked, the chance of getting infected with tapeworm in Thailand is scary high.

May I ask, did you find out which type of tapeworms you guys were infected with?

What is so disturbing with this, something Jingthing immediately recognised, is the general belief is that when you suffer from a tapeworm infection you lose weight and become skinny, but a lot of expats are probably infected without being aware of it . I was the one who brought it up because I have undergone tapeworm treatment a couple of times now so I now how easy it is to catch.

As Sheryl pointed out, this is a parasitic infection you're likely to catch if you eat undercooked meat (or fish). If you eat a steak that is only a fraction undercooked, the chance of getting infected with tapeworm in Thailand is scary high.

May I ask, did you find out which type of tapeworms you guys were infected with?

Nope, but in my case I'm pretty confident I contract the little buggers from undercooked beef. Being an absolute sucker for steaks in Thailand is a nightmare from a tapeworm perspective. The alternative, as you mention, is to buy your own beef and freeze it prior to cooking it.

Nope, but in my case I'm pretty confident I contract the little buggers from undercooked beef. Being an absolute sucker for steaks in Thailand is a nightmare from a tapeworm perspective. The alternative, as you mention, is to buy your own beef and freeze it prior to cooking it.

Another question, if I may. What medicine did the doctor give you? Did you see any evidence of a dead tapeworm coming out in your stool?

Another question, if I may. What medicine did the doctor give you? Did you see any evidence of a dead tapeworm coming out in your stool?

Hexin. I never checked the stools as the medication apparently dissolves the tapeworm.

From the OP

expats and fellow rugby lovers (that's an irrelevant piece of information, right there)

If you had said "rugby players" it would have harkened back to my college days in the '70s when the rugby players made a big deal out of eating raw meat and peeing in each other's beers. Never really understood that.

Somebody correct my understanding, please:

The tape worm, Teania Solium (sp) uses the pig as it's intermediary host and is transmitted to humans via under cooked pork (not fish or steak or anything else). Other types of worms and flukes exist in other food products and all transmit to humans via undercooked food products.

So, is the answer still 6, they were all teania solium (sp)?

Is Hexin OTC or by prescription?

OTC

Buy two packs, there are 4 tablets in one pack. Take 4 tablets on day one. Take another 4 tablets day 14

There is another brand around - Yomesan - with exactly the same substance and dosage

• Like 1

OTC

Buy two packs, there are 4 tablets in one pack. Take 4 tablets on day one. Take another 4 tablets day 14

There is another brand around - Yomesan - with exactly the same substance and dosage

My doctor in Pattaya gave me Albendazole. From memory it was 2 tablets on 5 consecutive days.

Somebody correct my understanding, please:

The tape worm, Teania Solium (sp) uses the pig as it's intermediary host and is transmitted to humans via under cooked pork (not fish or steak or anything else). Other types of worms and flukes exist in other food products and all transmit to humans via undercooked food products.

So, is the answer still 6, they were all teania solium (sp)?

The OP likely had Taenia Sagenata - the beef tapeworm... as he stated he loves rare beef.

I'd say most expats would be getting the beef tapeworm. Most people cook pork well.

I don't eat pork, so mine was obvious - but photos (and videos) of the live proglottids confirmed it.

OTC

Can one do this even though one isn't sure they have the infection? If all six of the OP's friends have the dreaded worm, might not be a bad precautionary measure!

Very interesting all 6 had worms. Makes me now want to get checked. What's the symptoms?

If you YouTube coke on pork chop, you can watch worms come out of the meat. Its quite disgusting really but fascinating.

OTC

Can one do this even though one isn't sure they have the infection? If all six of the OP's friends have the dreaded worm, might not be a bad precautionary measure!
Not a bad idea. If it's over counter medicine then why not? Will it kill all types of worm?
  • Like 1

OTC

Not a bad idea. If it's over counter medicine then why not? Will it kill all types of worm?

No, there's another substance for Roundworm and Flatworm.

There are several types of tapeworm, including ones found in beef and in pork (undercooked, in both cases).

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/taeniasis/gen_info/faqs.html for more info

Albendazole is effective against a number of worms but not tapeworm. Tapeworm is usually treated with either nicolsamide or praziquantel. (Hexin is a brand of niclosamide). These are OTC meds in Thailand.

then it aint that bad is it?

No relation at all.

Many people are walking around with all kind of health problems without knowing it:

HIV, cancer, diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, thryroid disease, etc.

But we are cracking our heads about tapeworms acquired in the LOS?

WOW... life is a ...'whatever' in LOS with Tape worms etc., but we keep coming here with all this s***

'We' are a strange species, aren't we?

cheesy.gif

There are several types of tapeworm, including ones found in beef and in pork (undercooked, in both cases).

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/taeniasis/gen_info/faqs.html for more info

Albendazole is effective against a number of worms but not tapeworm. Tapeworm is usually treated with either nicolsamide or praziquantel. (Hexin is a brand of niclosamide). These are OTC meds in Thailand.

Is wikipedia wrong here : "It is a broad spectrum anthelmintic, effective against roundworms, tapeworms, and flukes".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albendazole

It seems to have helped tropo....

And: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tapeworm/DS00659/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Maybe it's not the most effective treatment?

Edited by kriswillems

Albendazole is effective against a number of worms but not tapeworm.

This is not true. It is very effective against tapeworms. It was prescribed by my doctor and did the job.

Every website I've visited states that Albendazole is used to treat tapeworm - and I've checked out dozens.

OTC

It could be a good idea. It can take 3 months or more for the tapeworm to grow long enough to start releasing proglottids (egg sacks), so you could save yourself at least 3 months of unpleasant symptoms.

Albendazole is often used as a precautionary de-wormer in Thailand, and it kills tapeworms, so it may be a good choice.

I see only beef and pork mentioned - can one get tapeworm from chicken or fish as well? - Haven't eaten the four-legged variety of foodsource for over 40 years and wouldn't mind to hear about a disease I can't get for a change.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Since tapeworm is generally acquired from incompletely cooked meat/fish, it would help to know something of the eating habits of the farang in question.

Yes, the only time I had a case of some nasty intestinal worms was when I was in Isaan having a drink and was offered some raw meat that others were all munching on. Being slightly drunk and a bit of an idiot I went for it. Never again.

In those first-world countries we all come from though, you'll have to spend money on a consultation, and probably tests, before a script will be provided. And tests are not always conclusive.

My circle of friends in Mexico take a broad spectrum anti-helmenthic once a year. Here, the GF and I do the same. Easy and inexpensive, as it is OTC.

I would add that, though side-effects are rare, those with less than healthy livers may wish to avoid the drugs. And we know how many ex-pats here fall into that category.

• 4 months later...

In those first-world countries we all come from though, you'll have to spend money on a consultation, and probably tests, before a script will be provided. And tests are not always conclusive.

My circle of friends in Mexico take a broad spectrum anti-helmenthic once a year. Here, the GF and I do the same. Easy and inexpensive, as it is OTC.

I would add that, though side-effects are rare, those with less than healthy livers may wish to avoid the drugs. And we know how many ex-pats here fall into that category.

Which particular one do you take?