BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Forethat

Tapeworm - an expat sweepstake

How many out of 6 expats in Thailand was infected with tapeworm?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is Hexin OTC or by prescription?

OTC

Buy two packs, there are 4 tablets in one pack. Take 4 tablets on day one. Take another 4 tablets day 14

There is another brand around - Yomesan - with exactly the same substance and dosage

Can one do this even though one isn't sure they have the infection? If all six of the OP's friends have the dreaded worm, might not be a bad precautionary measure!
Not a bad idea. If it's over counter medicine then why not? Will it kill all types of worm?

No, there's another substance for Roundworm and Flatworm.

There are several types of tapeworm, including ones found in beef and in pork (undercooked, in both cases).

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/taeniasis/gen_info/faqs.html for more info

Albendazole is effective against a number of worms but not tapeworm. Tapeworm is usually treated with either nicolsamide or praziquantel. (Hexin is a brand of niclosamide). These are OTC meds in Thailand.

then it aint that bad is it?

No relation at all.

Many people are walking around with all kind of health problems without knowing it:

HIV, cancer, diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, thryroid disease, etc.

But we are cracking our heads about tapeworms acquired in the LOS?

WOW... life is a ...'whatever' in LOS with Tape worms etc., but we keep coming here with all this s***

'We' are a strange species, aren't we?

cheesy.gif

There are several types of tapeworm, including ones found in beef and in pork (undercooked, in both cases).

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/taeniasis/gen_info/faqs.html for more info

Albendazole is effective against a number of worms but not tapeworm. Tapeworm is usually treated with either nicolsamide or praziquantel. (Hexin is a brand of niclosamide). These are OTC meds in Thailand.

Is wikipedia wrong here : "It is a broad spectrum anthelmintic, effective against roundworms, tapeworms, and flukes".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albendazole

It seems to have helped tropo....

And: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tapeworm/DS00659/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Maybe it's not the most effective treatment?

Edited by kriswillems

Albendazole is effective against a number of worms but not tapeworm.

This is not true. It is very effective against tapeworms. It was prescribed by my doctor and did the job.

Every website I've visited states that Albendazole is used to treat tapeworm - and I've checked out dozens.

Is Hexin OTC or by prescription?

OTC

Buy two packs, there are 4 tablets in one pack. Take 4 tablets on day one. Take another 4 tablets day 14

There is another brand around - Yomesan - with exactly the same substance and dosage

Can one do this even though one isn't sure they have the infection? If all six of the OP's friends have the dreaded worm, might not be a bad precautionary measure!

It could be a good idea. It can take 3 months or more for the tapeworm to grow long enough to start releasing proglottids (egg sacks), so you could save yourself at least 3 months of unpleasant symptoms.

Albendazole is often used as a precautionary de-wormer in Thailand, and it kills tapeworms, so it may be a good choice.

I see only beef and pork mentioned - can one get tapeworm from chicken or fish as well? - Haven't eaten the four-legged variety of foodsource for over 40 years and wouldn't mind to hear about a disease I can't get for a change.

• Like 1

Since tapeworm is generally acquired from incompletely cooked meat/fish, it would help to know something of the eating habits of the farang in question.

Yes, the only time I had a case of some nasty intestinal worms was when I was in Isaan having a drink and was offered some raw meat that others were all munching on. Being slightly drunk and a bit of an idiot I went for it. Never again.

I see them cutting many different raw foods using the same knife and board, so even if it's not meat, anything can happen?

In those first-world countries we all come from though, you'll have to spend money on a consultation, and probably tests, before a script will be provided. And tests are not always conclusive.

My circle of friends in Mexico take a broad spectrum anti-helmenthic once a year. Here, the GF and I do the same. Easy and inexpensive, as it is OTC.

I would add that, though side-effects are rare, those with less than healthy livers may wish to avoid the drugs. And we know how many ex-pats here fall into that category.

In those first-world countries we all come from though, you'll have to spend money on a consultation, and probably tests, before a script will be provided. And tests are not always conclusive.

My circle of friends in Mexico take a broad spectrum anti-helmenthic once a year. Here, the GF and I do the same. Easy and inexpensive, as it is OTC.

I would add that, though side-effects are rare, those with less than healthy livers may wish to avoid the drugs. And we know how many ex-pats here fall into that category.

Which particular one do you take?