Thai authorities crack down on Phuket taxi mafia

Lite Beer

Thai authorities crack down on Phuket taxi mafia
By English News |

13771363793351-640x390x2.jpg

PHUKET, Aug 22 – Thailand's Department of Special Investigation (DSI) has announced it will act against criminal syndicates operating illegal taxi businesses in this tourist-oriented southern resort province and arrest members of the first racket within a month.

Somboon Sarasit, the police agency's Special Criminal Case commander, DSI disclosed the names of 11 mafia organisations with black-plate taxi operations in Phuket who have harassed and intimidated tourists.

He said DSI has sufficient evidence to take legal action against a group of people operating one of the syndicates.

Meeting with officials on the taxi mafia problem yesterday, Tourism and Sport Minister Somsak Purisrisak called on the authorities to crack down on the black-plated taxi rackets which are detrimental to the tourism industry.

He said the issue would be solved at the prime minister’s order.

Wuthi Liptapanlop, an advisor to the National Police Bureau, said halting criminal acts in tourism areas will be high on the police agenda in four cities – Pattaya, Samui, Phuket and Chiang Mai.

Criminal activities in Phuket including drug trafficking, infringement of intellectual property and illegal taxi business must be solved, if not completely, within 45 days, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-08-22

• Like 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said DSI has sufficient evidence to take legal action against a group of people operating one of the syndicates.

DO IT then ..... why waiting .... this taxi mafia issue is on for the last 20 years ...I think its time to ACT and quickly.

• Like 1

So again it's just the black plate taxis that intimidate the tourists? Really? What about the tuk tuks in Patong, Karon and Kata? Aren't they the "real" problem?

I hope those are included as the article mentioned the 11 mafia members.

I guess the Thai way, is to warn them so that they can willingly comply without too much hassle later on, so of course the crooks are just going to up and leave and these areas will have no more problems, easy really.

hes waiting on the PMs order, it seems pretty carefully worded, hes making it clear that it could be done but only if the Taksin dynasty isnt where the money is ending up, so if it doesnt get done we all know why

As far as I'm concerned none of this matters. Not the lists they make, the names they name, the alleged evidence they have, nor whatever legal action they may take; unless they substantially lower fares.

If fares are not appreciably lowered to acceptable (i.e. Bangkok taxi comparable) rates for everyone, this entire undertaking will be a total failure. And the transport cartels will have yet again flouted (whatever) authority, and yet again have their own way.

Fair fares for the people!

• Like 1

Oh no, another crack down. If they have too many more the country will be all cracked out (within 45 days).

Can someone please set up a crack down calendar so we can see how all the cracking is progressing.

Either that or could the government have a crack down on the crack downs please.

Edited by mrfill

DO IT then ..... why waiting .... this taxi mafia issue is on for the last 20 years ...I think its time to ACT and quickly.

He also covered his a.... mentioned that this would be done at the PM's order. Apparently crackdowns can't be done by just anyone any more. Didn't specify which PM he's referring to.

Edited by marell
  • Like 1

Criminal activities in Phuket including drug trafficking, infringement of intellectual property and illegal taxi business must be solved, if not completely, within 45 days, he said.

OK, if someone will just indicate where the brown envelopes need to be sent and how much money must be stuffed instead, I'm sure the appropriate parties will meet the request and all of the abovementioned problems will be solved. tongue.png