Thai authorities crack down on Phuket taxi mafia

Lite Beer

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night, my hotel driver went to collect a pre-booked hotel guest from the airport, (free pick-up service).

On the way out of the airport, he was stopped by a DSI guy who confiscated his licence and issued a fine of 2,000 baht for being a 'black taxi'.

<deleted> is that all about? Can a registered hotel not even collect their guests in the courtesy car??

Simon

So it's seems that it is not so much a crackdown on the problems with the mafia in Phuket, but an organized response to try and strengthen the Monopoly and Mafia?

Is the car clearly marked as hotel vehicle ?

Have you called the DSI to find out what is needed to allow for your hotel to legally provide pick up service to your guests?

This is a pretty standard service provided by hotels all over Thailand, so understand there must be a legal way to do?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Try and I do mean try, to drive down the second road in PAtong - double parked tuktuks for 2km about 60 of them sat scratcing their arse & picking their noses. So bad that its only just single lane traffic, so when a d!ckhead laden tour bus stops bedlam ensues! I saw 3 BIB within 2km and 5 mins of each other - I asked one what were they going to do about the traffic, i got a smile and a shoulder shrug and that was it!!!!!!

Try and I do mean try, to drive down the second road in PAtong - double parked tuktuks for 2km about 60 of them sat scratcing their arse & picking their noses. So bad that its only just single lane traffic, so when a d!ckhead laden tour bus stops bedlam ensues! I saw 3 BIB within 2km and 5 mins of each other - I asked one what were they going to do about the traffic, i got a smile and a shoulder shrug and that was it!!!!!!

Sounds about right from the glorious BIB.

About as useful as a chocolate tea cosy. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I think I've heard this bit before. Something about the black license plates NOT being allowed to function as taxis and pick up from the airport. Not the first time the hotel owners have asked the same questions being asked here.

That Phuket fun factor just keeps going up & up & up, doesn't it? Somebody should write a book: "How To Kill Your Tourist Trade". It could practically write itself.

I think I've heard this bit before. Something about the black license plates NOT being allowed to function as taxis and pick up from the airport. Not the first time the hotel owners have asked the same questions being asked here.

That Phuket fun factor just keeps going up & up & up, doesn't it? Somebody should write a book: "How To Kill Your Tourist Trade". It could practically write itself.

I think Phuket will be a case study for university students in 10 years time who are studying business and what took place here.

Its getting worse & worse, and we are in LOW SEASON!!!!!

I don't think there will really be anymore "high season" on Phuket.

Kind of agree with you, but their is a good deal more traffic in the "high season" - to the point where I very often leave my car.bike at work & walk home, then collect early morning on the weekends

Last night, my hotel driver went to collect a pre-booked hotel guest from the airport, (free pick-up service).

On the way out of the airport, he was stopped by a DSI guy who confiscated his licence and issued a fine of 2,000 baht for being a 'black taxi'.

<deleted> is that all about? Can a registered hotel not even collect their guests in the courtesy car??

Simon

You asked this question before Simon. What plates does your courtesy car have?

Yes, I discussed this previously and the subject was clarified by the local police in Phuket and airport authorities. Hotel vehicles which are picking up pre-booked guests without charge can use any suitable vehicle (not green plates), but the vehicle must be identified with the hotel logo/sticker etc.

My hotel car has large stickers on both doors with the hotel name, and after we clarified to the airport authorities and local police that our pick-up service was only for pre-booked guests and was without charge, we were allowed to operate at the airport using our private vehicle.

Last night, the local police guy waved my driver through and the DSI stopped him and wasn't interested in the above details.

I understand fully that a car that's used as a fee-paying hotel taxi service needs to be registered as a taxi. But do you really expect all the local, family guesthouses to have to register as a public taxi because they offer a free pick-up service from the airport?

I do not think that is how the law is intended to work - it merely inconveniences passengers, since the small hotels can no longer pick-up for free and these pre-booked guests are forced to use the mafia taxi services.....

Simon

Edited by simon43

Yes, I discussed this previously and the subject was clarified by the local police in Phuket and airport authorities. Hotel vehicles which are picking up pre-booked guests without charge can use any suitable vehicle (not green plates), but the vehicle must be identified with the hotel logo/sticker etc.

My hotel car has large stickers on both doors with the hotel name, and after we clarified to the airport authorities and local police that our pick-up service was only for pre-booked guests and was without charge, we were allowed to operate at the airport using our private vehicle.

Last night, the local police guy waved my driver through and the DSI stopped him and wasn't interested in the above details.

I understand fully that a car that's used as a fee-paying hotel taxi service needs to be registered as a taxi. But do you really expect all the local, family guesthouses to have to register as a public taxi because they offer a free pick-up service from the airport?

I do not think that is how the law is intended to work - it merely inconveniences passengers, since the small hotels can no longer pick-up for free and these pre-booked guests are forced to use the mafia taxi services.....

Simon

I think that at the moment they are requiring the officially required papers: you are transfering tourists, therefor need a car with green or yellow plate.

The information previously received was from the local authorities, but were not the legal requirements.

So again it's just the black plate taxis that intimidate the tourists? Really? What about the tuk tuks in Patong, Karon and Kata? Aren't they the "real" problem?

The REAL problem is the exorbitant fares. Who gives a toss whether they carry black or green or purple bloody plates? They still charge 800 (if you're lucky) to the airport whereas downtown Bangkok is 80/90 baht. They STILL do not drive around looking to pick up fares, necessitating a specific call out to go anywhere and then the 'You go two way?' so twice the robbing buggers' price.

In the name of all that is Holy, get some bloody Public transport up and running, including realistically priced taxis. And if not, why not?

All this black versus green plate bs is a smokescreen and I'm surprised so many keep falling for it.

Absolutely right. I don't care who they bust or not, or what cartels they bust up. Not my concern. What I do want is lower fares, and that's it.

I ain't holding my breath, and fully expect fares to rise after all the BS posturing is over and done with.

• Like 2

Wuthi Liptapanlop, an advisor to the National Police Bureau, said halting criminal acts in tourism areas will be high on the police agenda in four cities – Pattaya, Samui, Phuket and Chiang Mai.

Please get your geographics right , Samui and Phuket aren't cities , not sure if Pattaya is one

either,I don't think it has a Postal address?

Samui got city status this year and is therefore able to receive more funding/assistance from government

anyhow we are long awaiting the first [using metred taxi in samui ]

at which time i will start informing my guests to use them , until then we advise all to rent a car

its cheaper than a return taxi fare

cant wait to see the results of this crackdown????

Simon

Yes, he has asked this before. And I think since he didn't answer your question about the color of his plates, it's safe to assume he did not have the correct ones even after the last time he got busted for this, i.e. the car was not correctly registered to transport passengers. You're feigning ignorance here Simon. He was stopped and fined because you obviously did not do what the Phuket LTO told you specifically to do just last year when you asked them via the Phuket Ga:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1322

Simon, why on earth would you knowingly have your staff picking up guests in your knowingly illegal taxi when it is announced that DSI will be cracking down on black taxi's? Do what the locals do during all the announced well in advance crackdowns. Lay low for a few days, then it's back to normal. If you aren't going to bother registering your taxi, the only way you are going to get away with it is if you take off all the identifying signage and drive it yourself. But if a Thai is driving then he is always going to get stopped, but I know you already know this.

We foreigners can not complain about black taxi's if we are going to break the same rules. We certainly can't complain when we get caught, which you have before, Simon.

What we can complain about is the point you, Simon, have made previously, (and many others have too, including Thai's and including my mate who runs a construction company and moans about all the payouts he makes to transport his workers around illegally) about how difficult and expensive they make it to be legal. You see this across the entire Thai government. It's like they would prefer you be illegal because there is so much money in it for officials that way.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

Hallo NomadJoe, you seem to have missed the point and misread my previous post on this thread.

I investigated the legal requirements for hotel 'courtesy cars' some months ago, and it was confirmed to me by both the Phuket police AND the Phuket Airport authorities that I was not required to have green plates because I only provided a free pick-up/drop-off service for my hotel guests.

So I have exactly followed the statements of both police and airport authorities, and until yesterday, I had no problems whatsoever with the local authorities, (who were actively stopping black taxis at the airport at that time). It was the DSI who stopped my driver.

Today, I was driving the same car outside the airport with 2 western friends in the car, and I was stopped by the DSI (who were stopping all vehicles), and the police guy immediately saluted me and waved me on after I would down the window.

Does that mean that only Thai drivers of hotel cars are under suspicion? Surely I should have been suspected of being an illegal, western taxi driver???

Unfortunately, it seems to be that some DSI members have gone into knee-jerk mode and are trying to get their conviction numbers up whilst in ignorance of the actual law that permits privately-owned, hotel courtesy cars if they are clearly identified as such, a law BTW, which was not only applied to me but other hotel courtesy cars that I know of.

Wuthi Liptapanlop, an advisor to the National Police Bureau, said halting criminal acts in tourism areas will be high on the police agenda in four cities – Pattaya, Samui, Phuket and Chiang Mai.

Please get your geographics right , Samui and Phuket aren't cities , not sure if Pattaya is one

either,I don't think it has a Postal address?

THAT'S your takeaway??!!

Hallo NomadJoe, you seem to have missed the point and misread my previous post on this thread.

I investigated the legal requirements for hotel 'courtesy cars' some months ago, and it was confirmed to me by both the Phuket police AND the Phuket Airport authorities that I was not required to have green plates because I only provided a free pick-up/drop-off service for my hotel guests.

So I have exactly followed the statements of both police and airport authorities, and until yesterday, I had no problems whatsoever with the local authorities, (who were actively stopping black taxis at the airport at that time). It was the DSI who stopped my driver.

Today, I was driving the same car outside the airport with 2 western friends in the car, and I was stopped by the DSI (who were stopping all vehicles), and the police guy immediately saluted me and waved me on after I would down the window.

Does that mean that only Thai drivers of hotel cars are under suspicion? Surely I should have been suspected of being an illegal, western taxi driver???

Unfortunately, it seems to be that some DSI members have gone into knee-jerk mode and are trying to get their conviction numbers up whilst in ignorance of the actual law that permits privately-owned, hotel courtesy cars if they are clearly identified as such, a law BTW, which was not only applied to me but other hotel courtesy cars that I know of.

Simon, you seem to have missed the point. They may have allowed that, but that was not according to the law. For tourist transport, whether hotel or not, whether courtesy or not, green or yellow plates are required.

Simon, you seem to have missed the point. They may have allowed that, but that was not according to the law. For tourist transport, whether hotel or not, whether courtesy or not, green or yellow plates are required.

I supose there needs to be some clarity between what constitutes a "taxi" and what constitutes a "courtesy car."

I supose there needs to be some clarity between what constitutes a "taxi" and what constitutes a "courtesy car."

Easy: the courtesy car does not exist in Thai law. Transporting tourists means yellow or green plates, end of story.

Easy: the courtesy car does not exist in Thai law. Transporting tourists means yellow or green plates, end of story.

So where does this leave a Phuket expat legitimately picking up friends/relatives at the airport?" (no payment accepted)

How do they distinguish if you are acting as a "taxi" or just a meet and greet for friends/relatives?

So where does this leave a Phuket expat legitimately picking up friends/relatives at the airport?" (no payment accepted)

How do they distinguish if you are acting as a "taxi" or just a meet and greet for friends/relatives?

You can pickup friends, no problem.

Simon can pick up friends, no problem, but if those friends are really guests he is acting as a black taxi. And if that taxi has logo of his company, he is recogniseble as a black taxi, if no logo, nobody knows they are not his friends (unless he does this trick too often of course).

Phuket is an absolute joke. Anyone who tells me they are going, I give an honest opinion of the problems. The so called legal tuk tuks are as bad as the ilegal taxis. 200 baht for a 30 second trip, it's thievery.

I've used metre taxis which are still multiple times the price of what you'd pay in Bangkok. Then you get the Thai's operating it calling you a cheap charlie for requesting the meter. <deleted>!

Intimidation. Phuket was the first place I ever visited and I stayed for 2 years. I now live in the UK again. I've been back to Thailand 5 times since. Never to that cesspit of an island again.