Thai authorities crack down on Phuket taxi mafia

Lite Beer

Phuket is an absolute joke. Anyone who tells me they are going, I give an honest opinion of the problems. The so called legal tuk tuks are as bad as the ilegal taxis. 200 baht for a 30 second trip, it's thievery.

I've used metre taxis which are still multiple times the price of what you'd pay in Bangkok. Then you get the Thai's operating it calling you a cheap charlie for requesting the meter. <deleted>!

Intimidation. Phuket was the first place I ever visited and I stayed for 2 years. I now live in the UK again. I've been back to Thailand 5 times since. Never to that cesspit of an island again.

Ummm, admittedly, it is taking a thicker skin to reside here in recent times.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket is an absolute joke. Anyone who tells me they are going, I give an honest opinion of the problems. The so called legal tuk tuks are as bad as the ilegal taxis. 200 baht for a 30 second trip, it's thievery.

I've used metre taxis which are still multiple times the price of what you'd pay in Bangkok. Then you get the Thai's operating it calling you a cheap charlie for requesting the meter. <deleted>!

Intimidation. Phuket was the first place I ever visited and I stayed for 2 years. I now live in the UK again. I've been back to Thailand 5 times since. Never to that cesspit of an island again.

Thicker skin (I'll say - 'must be bullet proof & slash resistant!)................and fatter wallet, too?

Agree, but just ignore the comments here on TV and no thick skin needed at all.

So then in other words; a thicker skin is needed to read comments on TV. smile.pngsmile.png

Or as a few obviously do do.....leave on the rose coloured tints...rolleyes.gif

So then in other words; a thicker skin is needed to read comments on TV. smile.pngsmile.png

Yes, not for real life, only for TV smile.png

Edited by stevenl

Well, I do notice small changes that effect me. For example, it floods a little more around my apartment now. Not because there is more rain, but because of some new construction nearby with no thought to storm water drainage.

Sure, only a minor thing, but there seems to be more and more minor "discomforts" creeping into one's lifestyfe here. Eg. recent report of checking for passports/visas now by immigration setting up check ppoints and going house to house. Next thing, they will probably be going into bars.

Edited by NamKangMan

Just last night I had the need for a taxi, my condo is very close to Simon cabaret - so I go to the 'taxi stand' and start the process. Long story short, from Simon cabaret to the Boathouse return they wanted THB1000 !!!

Luckily my helpful security guard came to the rescue, his brother did it for 600

Just last night I had the need for a taxi, my condo is very close to Simon cabaret - so I go to the 'taxi stand' and start the process. Long story short, from Simon cabaret to the Boathouse return they wanted THB1000 !!!

Luckily my helpful security guard came to the rescue, his brother did it for 600

As money floating around in the local economy starts to dry up, mainly due to the new demographic of tourists here, I expect to see prices rise, not only in relation to "transport" here but also accommodation, food and beverage.

As money floating around in the local economy starts to dry up, mainly due to the new demographic of tourists here, I expect to see prices rise, not only in relation to "transport" here but also accommodation, food and beverage.

You have that correct NKM. The local logic is - I am making less money so I need to charge more. Defies all logic, but that the way they think.

You have that correct NKM. The local logic is - I am making less money so I need to charge more. Defies all logic, but that the way they think.

Where I think it will be felt the most is when the Thai landlords raise the cost of rents, due to some of their establishments sitting vacant, with the "Thai business logic" that you mention.

That forces the owners of the other establishments to raise their prices and thus, lose customers, until they are vacant as well.

The Phuket "brand" is just not competing against other distinations for value for money in relation to the traditional western market.

Whilst they can all collude here to set prices, they can't collude with other destinations who are running a free market economy. :) :)

I think that's largely urban myth. I've heard it an awful lot over the years, and used to believe it myself, but no longer accept it as universal fact. 'Would be foolish to say it never happens, but not as a rule. OTH, if there's inflation in the background, business owners do have to raise prices or they might as well just call it quits without even trying.

I think that's largely urban myth. I've heard it an awful lot over the years, and used to believe it myself, but no longer accept it as universal fact. 'Would be foolish to say it never happens, but not as a rule. OTH, if there's inflation in the background, business owners do have to raise prices or they might as well just call it quits without even trying.

Not so sure it's 'urban myth'. Fact of the matter is that the majority of business premises in Phuket are rented, and the owners of those premises jack up the rent year on year. Those business folks have to cover those extra rent costs some way = charge more for their service = higher costs. Hard to do in a deminishing market. That's why so many business die. Not to worry - a new one starts up and the real property owner continues to make a profit.

Not so sure it's 'urban myth'. Fact of the matter is that the majority of business premises in Phuket are rented, and the owners of those premises jack up the rent year on year. Those business folks have to cover those extra rent costs some way = charge more for their service = higher costs. Hard to do in a deminishing market. That's why so many business die. Not to worry - a new one starts up and the real property owner continues to make a profit.

Totally agree LIK.

The Thai landlords have become rich off failed leases, in fact, many of these leases are doomed to fail from the start, thus allowing the landlord to lease again, shortly after, to the next "starry eyed" farang fresh off the plane.

The "key money" just keeps rolling in off a long list of new leasees. It's structured to be this way.

The yearly rent increases are well over national inflation percentages. If you are lucky to survive a year or two, eventually the landlords yearly rental increases will put your business under pressure.

Then, you have a changing demographic of tourist to Phuket (non-drinking and street food eating) and you can see many places are going broke.

What the landlord on Phuket fails to see is his high rents are creating high food, beverage, souvenir, massage etc etc etc etc etc prices that can not compete with other destinations. Eg. Pattaya

Then add the ridiculous transport costs here, and Phuket ends up outpricing itself and losing serious market share.

We are seeing it now.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Within a month, within 45 days......come on get a grip.

Just do the job right and do it to completion, that's all they're asked to do.

If the do that, they'll be heroes.

Hi All,

Now I have a Taxi Mafia story. This morning my wife got me to fit a child seat in my Ford Exporer. We live in a resort in Bang Tao. Later our guests and my wife drove away to look around Phuket.

About 30 min later, reception called and said there was someone to see me at reception. I said "I will be right over". When I got there, just outside the front door was FIVE thugs!? I asked who spoke English and one came forward and started screaming at me in Thai and a bit of English. It took a while, but finally worked out that they thought we were "stealing their business by my wife taking our gusts out for a trip". I explained that for eight years our guests have always used taxis (from out the front) but these were our friends and could not use a taxi as they did not speak good enough English, and they don't have child seats that my guests insisted upon, and could not use a taxi anyway. Apparently this was no good, and the guy tried to drag me outside the reception doorway, one of his pals screamed "<deleted>%$k You" and another gave me the middle finger!? I calmly wiped his hand away from the front of my shirt and he screamed "don't touch me", which is what I should have been screaming. There was no way I was going out on to the street. One actually said "be careful you have family" which was not even a veiled threat! Again, I started explaining that they did not have a child seat and said "you guys must be the taxi mafia I have heard about", then before I could continue he screamed "NO", and I realized there was no reasoning with these guys, and walked away

back to my apartment. I then went out the side gate, got in the wife's little Honda, and went shopping. They were still at the front door of reception as I drove away.

I rang a Thai friend and she gave me the number of the tourist police, I called and they were less than useless, and seemed to wonder why I called! ? They suggested making a complaint at my local police station. That is my next move, we will go to Cherng Talay Police Station and make a formal complaint in writing today.

However since then, while waiting for the wife to return so we can go to the Police, I keep getting warnings that they control Phuket and they own the Poilce and that my person and cars are in grave danger.

I even have a pal tat said he is too scared of them to even let them see him leaving from his place down the road

with a friend in the car to play golf!?

This has got completely out of hand and is ruining Phuket. If the political will was there, this could be fixed very quickly and easily. First, if the new guy above can not fix it, you send in 1,000 Army troops. The King/Govt could send them in with orders to treat any taxi mafia very "harshly". They got rid of Al Capone etc, it just takes the political will, and guys with guns and power of arrest to clean it up.

I will be sending my story/complaint to every Govt department, newspaper, and news outlet I can think of. If we all write

to the Govt saying we will not be back due to the taxi mafia, maybe we will get the political will to solve this once and for all.

Please support me in this with any other stories you have or any ideas how we can rid Phuket of this vermin.

Cheers,

IE

Make sure you include your embassy or consulate on your incident report routing, and include in your report the fact that you received no support from either the tourist police or RTP. Too bad you couldn't have snapped some photos, or even a video, from your cellphone. I'd say be prepared to do this, as unobtrusively as possible, should there be any follow-on to this confrontation. These taxi-mafia, all by themselves, are a good enough reason to avoid Phuket, as far as I'm concerned.

Make sure you include your embassy or consulate on your incident report routing, and include in your report the fact that you received no support from either the tourist police or RTP. Too bad you couldn't have snapped some photos, or even a video, from your cellphone. I'd say be prepared to do this, as unobtrusively as possible, should there be any follow-on to this confrontation. These taxi-mafia, all by themselves, are a good enough reason to avoid Phuket, as far as I'm concerned.

"These taxi-mafia, all by themselves, are a good enough reason to avoid Phuket, as far as I'm concerned." - we are starting to see this now.

Many return tourists have simply had enough of the BS here, and many tourists considering coming here for the first time do a quick google and chose elsewhere.

That only leaves the package holiday makers from emerging economies, who spend very little here.

• Like 2