Krabi: Decommissioned warship bursts into flames – again

webfact

Decommissioned warship bursts into flames – again
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_It_took_OrBorJor_firemen_abou
It took OrBorJor firemen about an hour to squelch the flames of the warship. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

KRABI: -- The decommissioned warship RTMS Lanta burst into flames yesterday while workers were repairing damage caused by a previous fire that broke out at the tourist attraction on July 3.

No injuries were reported.

It took Krabi Provincial Administration Organization (OrBorJor) firemen about an hour to squelch the flames on the warship, which is a tourist attraction in Krabi Town.

Police believe that the fire started in the engine room on the second floor of the ship and then spread to the first floor.

“It is very possible that the fire was caused by a spark from welding being done on the second floor,” Krabi OrBorJor President Somsak Kittitornkul said. “The spark might have landed on the insulation foam, which is flammable.”

The blaze is estimated to have caused more than 100,000 baht of damage, Mr Somsak said.

“We will have to reiterate the importance of being careful to the construction team. We don’t want this to happen yet again,” Mr Somsak said.

Some local villagers, however, believe that careless construction workers were not the source of the fire. Some explained that the OrBorJor might have set up the ship museum without conducting the necessary prayers and letting resident ghosts know first.

Nonetheless, the HTMS Lanata, measuring 98 meters bow to stern, is expected to re-open to the public as a museum some time next year.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Decommissioned-warship-bursts-into-flames-again-22043.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-23

Calling an old barge (an LST actually) a warship is gilding the lily somewhat. After seeing service in Korea and Vietnam the USN leased, then sold, the ship to Thailand in 1970. Nothing of historical interest about it, particularly Thais.

The newspaper that cannot be mentioned here reported the ship being a frigate. Ignorance is bliss. Perhaps being a farang ship maybe this heap of scrap tried to commit suicide.

Edited by Bagwan

The Prasae frigate, south of Rayong is what they had mistaken it for. They were all Warships as far as i'm concerned. Brave men toiled and died during those war eras! These freight and cargo ships brought the men and material to win these battles and they were close to defenseless while carrying out these important duties!!!.

• Like 1

The Prasae frigate, south of Rayong is what they had mistaken it for. They were all Warships as far as i'm concerned. Brave men toiled and died during those war eras! These freight and cargo ships brought the men and material to win these battles and they were close to defenseless while carrying out these important duties!!!.

As you say, ships like Jeremiah O'Brien were just as bravely fought. I think the point was more the relevance to Thailand.

Bearing in mind the world is Thailand, I can't see the Thais using the ship to honour international conflicts. I realise that the past IS the future for Thailand, but at least it's normally the Thai past.

• Like 1

Some local villagers, however, believe that careless construction workers were not the source of the fire. Some explained that the OrBorJor might have set up the ship museum without conducting the necessary prayers and letting resident ghosts know first.

I'll go with that one.

Casperian logic

Bagwan does know what he is talking about.

He is ex RN.