How Important Are Your TV Cyber friends To You?

MAJIC

Nice topic!

I only have a couple of terrestrial friends involved with Thailand. They ask me for advice, which in turn comes from this forum mainly. Its a great place for so many reasons and lots of great characters. Hopefully 1 day I get to meet some of them.

• Like 1

While I enjoy reading the posts of many on here, and enjoy seeing the red 'like' notification, reading the posts of others particularly the younger Turk contingent reminds me why -- other than the company of young non-English speaking Thai women -- I choose to lead the life of a recluse.

I also enjoy the Visa section where some of the sage wisdom advice is contradicted by the printed regulations.

Couldn't have put it better myself, especially the part about the company you seek. :

On that note, I'm going into a temple for a few weeks starting a week on Thursday...........will you miss me Posted Image    

Orange robes and a shaved head for the board's arch-capitalist ? OK - photographic proof when you get back or it didn't happen !

Gee not hours, weeks! Wow that's quite intensive. At least a trip report on your return would be nice. Can I ask what's it in aid of?

I love getting different perspectives no matter how screwed up some views are on here. There are a few TV members I am friends with outside the site, but our friendships started before we knew we were both TV members. Mostly this site is headlines and entertainment for me, if I had a serious visa question I would be interested to hear the thoughts of fellow members but really only respect or "go on" the opinion/advise of the mods.

On that note, I'm going into a temple for a few weeks starting a week on Thursday...........will you miss me biggrin.png

Orange robes and a shaved head for the board's arch-capitalist ? OK - photographic proof when you get back or it didn't happen !

Gee not hours, weeks! Wow that's quite intensive. At least a trip report on your return would be nice. Can I ask what's it in aid of?

It's for the experience of living the simple and meditative life. It's something I haven't done before and I think it's something I should do when I have the opportunity.

ps Mr WW, I'll not be doing that, it will be plain dress code for me.

Edited by theblether

Nice topic!

I only have a couple of terrestrial friends involved with Thailand. They ask me for advice, which in turn comes from this forum mainly. Its a great place for so many reasons and lots of great characters. Hopefully 1 day I get to meet some of them.

I can recommend that Krisb, I have been meeting one guy for the last two years, and am on the verge of meeting another two. If anyone can accept my opinions even if they do not agree with them, they will be my friend for life.

• Like 2

I've noticed you've been a bit quiet recently MAJIC, am I right? Everything okay?

Myself and MAJIC used to clash quite a lot but I enjoyed it, too much sugar would make anyone sick. It's nice to get a slap now and then.

I met a TV member recently that I had clashed with a few times, I thoroughly enjoyed talking to him, and I was left very impressed by his grip on life here in Thailand, but even more so by his grip on a lot of highly technical issues. I read his posts with new eyes now as I now know that he is an expert in his field.

I met a fellow Scottish member, and again he has a full grip on life here due to his longevity, as well as a deep and constructive insight into several farang related issues. He's the kind of man that does go out of his way to help, but too often he's met with hostility. The mark of him is though, is that he still keeps on with the job of helping and advising.

I was a guest of another member, he knows already what I think of him. I was introduced by him to another member. Both of these gentlemen are also involved in community affairs, trying to assist foreigners when and where they can.

There's just four for starters that either set out to assist with technical knowledge or physically being there for people. I've met dozens of members and regret none of the meetings, I've yet to meet the nutter of TV folklore. It's well known that I have real life friendships with members such as Smokie and SC among others. There's actually a lot more that I see and socialize with on a regular basis here in CM.

I will pick out two though, both at opposite ends of the country. Rooo goes out of his way to find out answers on behalf of the members on his forum, if he doesn't know he asks Mrs Rooo, and if for some reason the Roooette doesn't know, he'll keep looking. Helping people out is part of his daily life. On the other side of the country, villagefarang is constantly vigil in CR area. He does have an open door policy, ( which I haven't used yet ) and the level of content, and quality that he delivers in the CR forum is exceptional. He would be a big loss if he wasn't there.

There are a lot more of course, can't name them all. I enjoy moving from TV virtual reality into real life. There are some members that leave a hole when they go missing, and others which I celebrate going "missing".

On that note, I'm going into a temple for a few weeks starting a week on Thursday...........will you miss me biggrin.png

I hear certain breweries are considering passing the hat around to bribe you into staying out of the temples and into the bars. biggrin.png

Edit: Could it be your time in the temples is the same as the length of time it will take to get your bike and body fixed? :)

Edited by FDog
  • Like 1

What a great lot of posts above.

Overall, some are just a bunch of softies, which is heartening to see...advice and friendships, is something that cant be taken away from you.

I have been on Skype with a friend I met on TVF and enjoyed a conversation for over a hour. The advice and attitude to life he has, was uplifting.

To all the posters above.....good to see.

From the old fella

• Like 1

I've noticed you've been a bit quiet recently MAJIC, am I right? Everything okay?

Myself and MAJIC used to clash quite a lot but I enjoyed it, too much sugar would make anyone sick. It's nice to get a slap now and then.

I met a TV member recently that I had clashed with a few times, I thoroughly enjoyed talking to him, and I was left very impressed by his grip on life here in Thailand, but even more so by his grip on a lot of highly technical issues. I read his posts with new eyes now as I now know that he is an expert in his field.

I met a fellow Scottish member, and again he has a full grip on life here due to his longevity, as well as a deep and constructive insight into several farang related issues. He's the kind of man that does go out of his way to help, but too often he's met with hostility. The mark of him is though, is that he still keeps on with the job of helping and advising.

I was a guest of another member, he knows already what I think of him. I was introduced by him to another member. Both of these gentlemen are also involved in community affairs, trying to assist foreigners when and where they can.

There's just four for starters that either set out to assist with technical knowledge or physically being there for people. I've met dozens of members and regret none of the meetings, I've yet to meet the nutter of TV folklore. It's well known that I have real life friendships with members such as Smokie and SC among others. There's actually a lot more that I see and socialize with on a regular basis here in CM.

I will pick out two though, both at opposite ends of the country. Rooo goes out of his way to find out answers on behalf of the members on his forum, if he doesn't know he asks Mrs Rooo, and if for some reason the Roooette doesn't know, he'll keep looking. Helping people out is part of his daily life. On the other side of the country, villagefarang is constantly vigil in CR area. He does have an open door policy, ( which I haven't used yet ) and the level of content, and quality that he delivers in the CR forum is exceptional. He would be a big loss if he wasn't there.

There are a lot more of course, can't name them all. I enjoy moving from TV virtual reality into real life. There are some members that leave a hole when they go missing, and others which I celebrate going "missing".

I hear certain breweries are considering passing the hat around to bribe you into staying out of the temples and into the bars. biggrin.png

Edit: Could it be your time in the temples is the same as the length of time it will take to get your bike and body fixed? smile.png

No.....I'm timing it with my sisters return to the UK. She'll tell my mother I fell off the bike, and rather than face the Wrath Of Cath, ( my mums name ), I'm going to hide out in a temple for two months.

If you had ever experienced the Wrath Of Cath, you would do the same thing. sad.png

I value the TV service though do not use it as a social network. Further I value the effort that many members make in responding to articles which I read with enthusiasm.

However I have no need of any particular 'TV' friend(s). If TV were to cease publication I would return to writing (and reading) of something like 'Stickmanbangkok' or 'Thailand Stories'

There are some reasonable people in here but mostly not reasonble. This is more entertainment for me to get a laugh here and there. If I "like" a post it probably made me laugh.

I have been in Thailand for quite a while and every foreigner I have worked with has been a disappointment. Some more than others.

• Like 1

I have been in Thailand for quite a while and every foreigner I have worked with has been a disappointment. Some more than others.

I spent my entire adult working life abroad. I always had plenty of expat friends and an active social life.

Then I moved here. Like Nooky2 I have been mostly disappointed by the foreigners I've met. I'm not really sure why, but after eight years I have no close friends and zero social life.

I'm not unhappy. Just disappointed.

• Like 1

Blether.

You are spot on.

For me. I greatly appreciate the sage wisdom from all of you who are what I consider, no offence intended, old timers, meaning I am still a newbie and the geat insight in living in the los.

My goal is to be one of you dudes. I reply seldom but read roughly a hundred for every one I may respond to. Even then, I feel that I'm offering only my opinion, not fact, as things are often not as I see them.

Even so, in any environment, debate is a great thing. No man is an island, and I respect you all. Hell. If everyone agreed all the time many things we take for granted would never exist.

Electricity was for example thought to be dc, period. The guy no one knows is the guy that faught for 10 yrs to go ac. Not the guy that invented electricity.

Yeah, its a trivia question....... But almost everyone knows who created electricity. Few know of the guy smart enough to convert to alternating current.

Debate is great, period. Backstabbing hurtful comments of course are not.

Long live debate.

• Like 2