How Important Are Your TV Cyber friends To You?

MAJIC

I've noticed you've been a bit quiet recently MAJIC, am I right? Everything okay?

Myself and MAJIC used to clash quite a lot but I enjoyed it, too much sugar would make anyone sick. It's nice to get a slap now and then.

I met a TV member recently that I had clashed with a few times, I thoroughly enjoyed talking to him, and I was left very impressed by his grip on life here in Thailand, but even more so by his grip on a lot of highly technical issues. I read his posts with new eyes now as I now know that he is an expert in his field.

I met a fellow Scottish member, and again he has a full grip on life here due to his longevity, as well as a deep and constructive insight into several farang related issues. He's the kind of man that does go out of his way to help, but too often he's met with hostility. The mark of him is though, is that he still keeps on with the job of helping and advising.

I was a guest of another member, he knows already what I think of him. I was introduced by him to another member. Both of these gentlemen are also involved in community affairs, trying to assist foreigners when and where they can.

There's just four for starters that either set out to assist with technical knowledge or physically being there for people. I've met dozens of members and regret none of the meetings, I've yet to meet the nutter of TV folklore. It's well known that I have real life friendships with members such as Smokie and SC among others. There's actually a lot more that I see and socialize with on a regular basis here in CM.

I will pick out two though, both at opposite ends of the country. Rooo goes out of his way to find out answers on behalf of the members on his forum, if he doesn't know he asks Mrs Rooo, and if for some reason the Roooette doesn't know, he'll keep looking. Helping people out is part of his daily life. On the other side of the country, villagefarang is constantly vigil in CR area. He does have an open door policy, ( which I haven't used yet ) and the level of content, and quality that he delivers in the CR forum is exceptional. He would be a big loss if he wasn't there.

There are a lot more of course, can't name them all. I enjoy moving from TV virtual reality into real life. There are some members that leave a hole when they go missing, and others which I celebrate going "missing".

On that note, I'm going into a temple for a few weeks starting a week on Thursday...........will you miss me biggrin.png

Yes we have had our differences of opinion,but i'm sure neither of us has taken it to heart. and more of an academic discussion than a Verbal Punch up.

I'm told by smarter people than me who went to University,that in the Students Debating Society,they are allocated at random the for or against, arguments,which has to be discussed in the Positive partisan viewpoint,regardless of your personal views. Shamefully I have to admit I can quite easily do this.

So can all our UK Politicians,and probably the main reason why: no matter which Party we vote in, we always seem to end up with much the same bunch of <deleted>.

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

On that note, I'm going into a temple for a few weeks starting a week on Thursday...........will you miss me biggrin.png

Orange robes and a shaved head for the board's arch-capitalist ? OK - photographic proof when you get back or it didn't happen !

Gee not hours, weeks! Wow that's quite intensive. At least a trip report on your return would be nice. Can I ask what's it in aid of?

It's for the experience of living the simple and meditative life. It's something I haven't done before and I think it's something I should do when I have the opportunity.

ps Mr WW, I'll not be doing that, it will be plain dress code for me.

Mmm! perhaps you can report back,and let us know if they are all behaving themselves,as we expect?

• Like 1

I have been in Thailand for quite a while and every foreigner I have worked with has been a disappointment. Some more than others.

I spent my entire adult working life abroad. I always had plenty of expat friends and an active social life.

Then I moved here. Like Nooky2 I have been mostly disappointed by the foreigners I've met. I'm not really sure why, but after eight years I have no close friends and zero social life.

I'm not unhappy. Just disappointed.

Same here.

You may all be aware of the tremendous afternoon out theBlether, Smokie and i had - Spoilt only by eighty minutes of the biggest load of pish the Princess Royal has ever had to suffer.

I tend to associate more with members outside of Thailand - when I'm in-country I have much less freedom and spare time. I don't know the TV names of any of my in-country friends and acquaintances.

Bytheway, this is the friendliest forum I have participated in, I would say

SC

Friendliest ? I strongly suspect that many of the regulars on my audiophile forums are from a very similar demographic - 40+ men with a willingness to spend money on their addiction, often to the bemusement of others in their life. Things do get heated there, but the mods are pretty ruthless - for such a sedentary hobby, the testosterone is palpable in some threads. Think geeks who want to throw an amplifier at anyone who disagrees with them ;)

I am feeling rather bitter today. where is all this sage advice when I needed it yesterday? I awoke early and organized my man servant to get me to the Factory Outlet in Cha Am. What a disappointment. The place had basic retail prices and was near empty. I was quite literally chased through the place by a sales lady offering me great deals.....

Then we went to that new Venezia place. Yikes. A US style approach to creating "Venice". Not very impressive although the absence of polluted klongs was nice. The other day, we went to the floating market in Hua Hin. Nothing really to buy and I wasn't allowed to ride the choo choo train. Horrid Thai friend says I am neither a Chinese tourist nor a child so not allowed. I was about ready to have a tantrum, and pouted all the way back home after that. I wasn't allowed ice cream either. I thought it was because they cared about my cholesterol, but the answer was that my lactose intolerance made it uncomfortable for others. The girls then proceeded to giggle. I have yet to see a thread offering expert advice on dealing with such cruelty. Sure, if I want to learn about bar girls, sin sot, pattaya bars etc., I can turn to the elderly gadflies, yet, on basic survival skills, in Hua Hin, no such luck.

Know what I love about Hua Hin? There are absolutely none of the sordid problems of Phuket to be found here. No traffic or pollution of Bangkok. Just civilized people. Even the foreigners are well behaved. Oh and did I mention that there are Volvos on display at market Village now. Try and top that at Central in Udon Thani.

I live my life vicariously through some of you folks as there are no ladyboys here either. I think they are blocked at the city outskirts and sent back when they try to get into the city of polite clean people.

Take a look at barrybankruad post today ref a Vietnam vet who has passed away leaving his affairs in a mess the OP wants to help he asks on TV for advice he gets the advice now you cant beat that .

i cant recall ever reading a post from the OP before but from his effort he seems like a good guy so already i have a positive opinion about him and i think thats how we start to like some posters who might become cyber friends'

Great topic good response.

Whats not to like?

Long live TV good and bad.

PS @ MAJIC always liked your avatar

• Like 2

There are some great members here, with lots of wisdom, and some good zingers.

Too bad the star rating system on each members homepage was more reality based.

Maybe instead of "stars," TV software could have a rating system where members vote how many keystrokes other members can have in any given 24 hour period.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

Maybe instead of "stars," TV software could have a rating system where members vote how many keystrokes other members can have in any given 24 hour period.

Yeh, I got 2 stars when really it should be one or less. whistling.gif .........................smile.png

Yeh, I got 2 stars when really it should be one or less. whistling.gif .........................smile.png

Hey!!!! you owe me one......(back to the balcony)