You can make your own corn tortillas at home, in Thailand!

kikoman

Making corn tortillas can be done by anyone here in Thailand, Using locally available ingredients and who is willing to do the work required to accomplish the task. I had been sick for awhile and did not plant the Mexican corn seed that I had.

Recently my son sent me some more Mexican corn and a kilo of Maseca corn tortilla flour. After doing the nixtamalization of the corn made some menudo, posole and corn tortillas. I planted some of the corn, that has already germinated. Dreading the day when my tortilla supply run out, we decided to test some of the Thai field corn and attempt to turn it into nixtamal, and we did it!!

We tried to buy some local Thai field corn, but it is out of season and none was for sale in our area. On our monthly shopping trip to Nakhon Sawan we went to a feed store and purchased a kilo of field corn feed for 20 Baht. My wife went to the local construction supplies store and purchased a kilo of lime (calcium oxide) for 20 baht a kilo.

post-91962-0-77311400-1377424416_thumb.j

We place the kilo of corn into a SS pot with (2) liters of filterred water.

(IMPORTANT) Place two tablespoons of lime (calcium oxide) into a cup of water (by placing the lime into a cup of water, the makeup of the lime was changed from calcium oxide to calcium hydroxide or slaked lime), set the lime aside and let it rest for 5 - 10 minutes, then after the rest add the lime to the pot of corn and stir it into the corn and water. Bring the water to a boil under a medium flame, when it starts to boil, turn the flame down till you get a slow simmer, I simmered it for 30 minutes, turned off the flame and let it soak for 24 to 36 hours.

post-91962-0-06377300-1377424486_thumb.j

After the soaking period, the skins did not separate from the corn. My Wife decided to grind some of the corn as is by mortar and pestle and resulted in a great looking masa corn, she ran the mixture into a colander and separated the masa from the skins. She then placed the masa into a blender spice grinder and made a very fine grain, to which she added water and a little salt and made a tortilla masa. Which she pressed into corn tortillas with the press.

post-91962-0-39731800-1377424519_thumb.j

The corn tortillas had a different taste due to the Thai corn,much like the taste of the local store brought

corn tortillas. But had a great fresh tortilla taste, a very pliable tortilla that did not break when folded.

It is a long process, but worthwhile if you use as many corn tortillas as I do and if you are tired of paying $1.50 to $2.00 for a package of 10 tortillas. For the corn and lime we paid a total of 40 baht less then the cost of 10 corn tortillas in Thailand. You can freeze the corn and masa and use it as you need it.

post-91962-0-60859600-1377424656_thumb.j

While I was writing up my thread, my wife ground the rest of the corn in our manual meat grinder, now we have another kilo of tortilla flour for the next month.

Cheers:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice piece of advice.

As we don't have flour tortillas in our town and crappy Danitas flour tortillas 100 kms away we have no choice but to make our own. Nothing as fancy as yours but I always think it's worth the extra work to make these.

I'll be trying this one out. Thanks kikoman

You might want to consider getting your calcium oxide (lime) from a laboratory supply house. I know that another chemical, sodium hydroxide, lye, is often used as in ingredient in the boiling pretzels and bagels. But the lye you buy in a hardware store, which is meant for unclogging drains, is generally contaminated with heavy metals. I don't know if a similar problem affects calcium oxide. But I'm sure it's a cheap chemical, even at reagent grade, which is purer than food grade. Generally you can find laboratory supply houses in the vicinity of a major hospital.

I was only in Mexico once and that was about 40 years ago but every small town and village has one or more totillerias making fresh corn (and flour?) tortillas because nearly all Mexicans couldn't be bothered with the effort.

ButterisBetter, I found a new source of food grade Calcium hydroxide here in Thailand, it is "Red limestone paste" (Bpoon daeng) used by Thai in making rice wine and whiskey , also used in the batter of fried bananas among other things. We brought a small bag for 10 baht that was mixed with water and the solids settled to the bottom of the jar and leaves the lime water on top, you just pour off two liters of lime water to process one kilo of field corn. It also does not need refrigeration and has a long shelf life. Great suggestion of a source of food grade calcium hydroxide.

Thank you Schondie for the nice comment, we make our own flour tortillas and have for the last 8 years simply because I like homemade better and is a lot cheaper than buying them here. The corn tortillas (homemade) are my preferred tortilla, as they are great tasting and we make small taco sized (Mexican taco sized, there is a great difference) that I eat every chance I get. Glad you can use the suggestions.

CL.Crab, I would buy my corn tortillas from a tortilleria also if they were available and reasonably priced, but they are not here in Thailand. That is no different in the ease of making your own bread in the states, where it is available at every corner market and most Americans lost the art of making their own homemade bread. It is easier to buy the finished product, than to make your own, in Mexico the corn tortillas were very cheap until NAFTA, allowed the Mexican corn crop to be purchased by outside investors to make fuel from, because of that many Mexican households are going back to producing the own tortillas.

Cheers:wai2.gif

Please find attached a picture of the "Red Limestone Paste" (Bpoon Daeng) that was purchase this morning at the village market for 5 baht a bag.

post-91962-0-73272000-1377495864_thumb.j

It is food grade as Thai use it while chewing Betel nuts, in the making of Thai rice wine and in cooking.

Well I'm sure the homemade tortillas made from scratch taste good especially when not made from the ubiquitous Quaker Oats Masa Harina. Personally, I prefer to use my daily corn allotment here in Thailand for popcorn which I buy in bulk imported from USA -- then use an air popper.

This is a great thread. Thanks for the information. I have seen that "red paste" (Bpoon Daeng) in the market, but had no idea what it was. Question: How safe is local field corn? I was told that it is not something people should it because it has been treated with heavy chemicals and is only used for planting.

The corn I used was being sold as feed in a feed store, it is not seed corn, I will buy about 50 kilos of corn when it is harvested here in the village. While locals put a lot of medicine on their crops, I find that it is no different than any other Thai vegetable crop that I buy and consume.

The field corn is Thai dent corn, ( the sweet corn can not be processed with nixtamalization), It taste much the same as the Thai corn tortillas, As the Thai tortillas factories are using the same corn.

It works for me, as the taste of freshly made corn tortillas are a hundred times better than the ones I have been buying for the last 12 years.

I am hopeful of buying some white Thai dent/field corn for an even greater tasting tortilla.

If there is any other questions you have, feel free to ask!

Good to know kikoman. I wish you would ramp up production! I have been buying Danitas direct to supply my mexican restaurant for almost 8 years and I cringe every time I see the bill. They charge an astronomical mark up and need some competition. I always thought of buying masaca in bulk but have had lots of issues with pests and mice with dry storage so I just continue to fill Danita's coffers.

Being from Chicago, (and in Chicago right now) which is the city which boasts the most tortillarias in America, I was spolied with inexpensive and fresh tortillas. I would love to see you get in the mix and bring us some choice! Tonight I ate some delicious Caldo de Res (beef soup), looking out the window saw a sign on a small corner store 3 packs of local made corn torillas 99 cents. I would be happy to give you tripple that price delivered in LOS.

I am from San Diego, California..and my favorite food was tacos of "carnitas asadas" with roasted egg plant salsa...I am just dulling thinking about...Well...when I move to Thailand 3 years ago I brought 2 tortillas makers I bought in Tijuana, one made with aluminum and other in plastic...I tried to make tortillas here..failing every time....I was close to trow it away when I move to Chiang Rai from Lampang..but....I kept it like souvenirs...Your recipe looks very complicated...but.....tacos and burritos are good!!...If you live in Chiang Rai we may put my "equipment" to work....Who knows?...also opening a taco shop.post-183983-0-62950400-1377582554_thumb.post-183983-0-62950400-1377582554_thumb.

The corn I used was being sold as feed in a feed store, it is not seed corn, I will buy about 50 kilos of corn when it is harvested here in the village. While locals put a lot of medicine on their crops, I find that it is no different than any other Thai vegetable crop that I buy and consume.

The field corn is Thai dent corn, ( the sweet corn can not be processed with nixtamalization), It taste much the same as the Thai corn tortillas, As the Thai tortillas factories are using the same corn.

It works for me, as the taste of freshly made corn tortillas are a hundred times better than the ones I have been buying for the last 12 years.

I am hopeful of buying some white Thai dent/field corn for an even greater tasting tortilla.

If there is any other questions you have, feel free to ask!

Hola Kikoman ( assume is from the Chavo del ocho?)

I been here in Thailand for almost 5 yrs now and miss my Mexican food and for sure the tortillas. Much like you, I have been trying to make my own tortillas here in Thailand using the local white corn with no luck since the local white corn is sticky. I would like to know where you purchased yours and knowing that is a feed corn, so I assume the corn is the large kernel variety?

Since I miss my Mex food, I have also been making my own jalapenos and they bring a much needed taste to my food. I look forward to hearing your answers since I'm ready to make my own tortillas

Gracias,cowboy.gif

This is a great thread. Thanks for the information. I have seen that "red paste" (Bpoon Daeng) in the market, but had no idea what it was. Question: How safe is local field corn? I was told that it is not something people should it because it has been treated with heavy chemicals and is only used for planting.

I was also concern about the feed corn or dent white corn and did some checking in the internet and found out that it is safe for human consumption.

Taco, I only make masa for my own personal use, I was not planning to start a business, I only placed the information on TV so that others may know it can be done.

Anugoon, I live 50 kilometers outside of Nakhon Sawan, I had my neighbor build me a teak tortilla press, which we have to place a plastic baggie in so the tortilla will not stick to the press and it works great.I think if you are interested in selling your tortilla press, someone on TV may be interested as you can also press out small flour tortillas with your presses.

I make all kinds of Mexican-inspired food at home by using local ingredients, works for me.

Please find attached a picture of the "Red Limestone Paste" (Bpoon Daeng) that was purchase this morning at the village market for 5 baht a bag.

attachicon.gifIMG_0955.JPG

It is food grade as Thai use it while chewing Betel nuts, in the making of Thai rice wine and in cooking.

First off, I was wrong. You can also use calcium oxide to nixtamilize corn. Another name of calcium oxide is quicklime, the stuff that criminals use in detective novels to more or less melt or burn a corpse into unrecognizability. You wouldn't want to get that stuff anywhere near your mouth. When you add it to water it produces a lot of heat and decomposes into calcium hydroxide.Once that's done, you can use it just as you would calcium hydroxide.

Also, I'm a little confused. First you wrote that your wife purchased lime (whether calcium oxide or calcium hydroxide) at a construction supply house. I'm guessing that wasn't food grade. :Why would a construction supply house sell something that is unnecessarily pure, hence unnecessarily expensive?

What exactly is Bpoon Daeng? It can't be pure calcium hydroxide since it's the wrong color. Is it just some kind of food coloring that is added? It could also be sodium carbonate which is somewhere between sodium hydroxide and sodium bicarbonate in alkalizing potency.

Anyway, what you're doing sounds great. What about nixtamalizing corn meal? I looked it up on the internet and found one page that discusses it but not in a very exact way.

Nooky2, I found a picture of a wood tortilla press on the internet down loaded a picture and took it to my woodworker and he made me one. these are some pictures of that press.

post-91962-0-85203400-1377599865_thumb.jpost-91962-0-12620500-1377599920_thumb.jpost-91962-0-88803900-1377599971_thumb.j

There is also a poster on this thread that has two tortilla presses maybe you can contact him to see if he wants to sell one.

Good Luck, if you need any other help please ask.

Nalo56,

The sweet corn you can not make into masa, it has to be the Thai yellow or white Dent/Field corn, that is used as feed. It is safe for human consumption. It is a small kernel of corn, not the large type like Mexican dent corn used for masa in Mexico and the states.

I eat Mexican food everyday as my wife makes me flour tortillas daily, make my own carnitas and chorizo, taco's Mexicano's and have made Queso fresco among many other foods.

Any more questions just ask>

Butterisbetter, I have always used Cal to nixtamalization of corn into masa, I did not know where to find calcium hydroxide in Thailand, 2 years ago when I made some masa, we used the stuff from the construction store, which is calcium oxide as I explained in the steps you must place two tablespoons of calcium oxide into a cup of water and then let it rest for 5-10 minutes, by combining the calcium oxide with water you cause a chemical reaction that the end product in calcium hydroxide (lime water) you then pour the mixture into a SS pan with 2 liters of water and 1 kilo of dent corn.

As we were boiling the corn, my mother-in-law came by for a visit and asked what we were doing, after we explained that to her, she said she uses Calcium hydroxide (bpoon daeng) all the time and went under our table and pulled out a ice chest and showed us the lime water, hence, I mentioned that one could buy it at the local market, the coloring comes from the chemical reaction of the calcium hydroxide and the spice Turmeric.

I also think that you could boil corn meal in a lime water solution, let it sit over night and then extract the water, in my mind there is a great chance it will work, give it a try!

I've done the whole process with the bpoon daeng and it came out great................but the VITAL ingredient is white dent corn. I grew it my self from seed bought from a reliable source in the US and it is now 3 generations old, pure heirloom seeds and if any one is serious about growing the seed, I will provide it for free, while it is still viable and hope for some seed in return.

This is the authentic hickory dent corn used by most tortillas and makes all the difference.

Easy crop to grow and timing is perfect now to get them started to finish in 90 days during the dry season.

PM me if interested and serious...............

My son sent me some White giant Mexican dent corn, one of the first things we did was to plant some seeds, which have already germinated. I also did the nixtamalization of the corn my son sent, and have made tortillas, menudo and posole.

My future is covered having the proper dent corn in 3 months, in the mean time I will still need to make tortillas, In my latest masa, I used Thai yellow dent corn as that is all that was available at the feed store.

Nixtamalization works on "any" dent or field corn, the small kernel Thai dent corn made a great tasting masa, and is an alternative for ex-pats that do not have or will not have access to the giant dent corn. It is readily available at a cheap price in Thailand. I will have access to Thai white dent corn within 2 to 3 months. which I believe will have a better tasting corn tortilla than the Yellow dent corn. I plan to use the Thai white dent to make tortillas and the Mexican Dent corn to make Tamales.

When I find and try the Thai White Dent corn I will post the results!

When I make tamales, I will use the last kilo of the Giant White Mexican dent corn for the masa and the Hatch Valley New Mexico Chile Colorado my son sent me. I also will plant the Chile Colorado seeds, and send the rest to my brother in Chaiyaphum that has more land to grow them

post-91962-0-89530800-1377697824_thumb.jpost-91962-0-61125400-1377697901_thumb.j

I will also proof the Thai yellow dent corn to see how the tamales come out with the local corn masa, I will try the Thai white dent corn, I am pleased with the taste of the yellow but I think the White will be better tasting.

As I said all dent corn can be nixtamalized to make masa, the large white Mexican variety is the preferred corn to use in making nixtamal but is not the only corn to use. Flint corn has a very tough covering (Skin) and it is not advisable to use in the making of masa.

Made my own tortillas last night. I don't have a press, so used some advice from Kikoman and used an inverted plate. My first one was a little thick, but after that, they may not have been beautiful, but they sure tasted good!

9641055975_b741fd1dfe_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifIMG_0955.JPG

I'm a little confused on how to use the Boon Daeng. How much do you use to make one kilo of corn. Do you mix the bpoon daeng with water? How much to a liter. How many liter to a kilo of corn?

Archived