You can make your own corn tortillas at home, in Thailand!

kikoman

So, where did you guys get your maseca?? I'm so desperate for masa flour that I've contacted a few of the companies and may bring in some myself unless I can locate a local source.

Brought it in myself.

I bring in 210 pounds of stuff on each trip, and this time, as there were two of us, I brought in almost 420 pounds. The bulk of that was a New Braunfels BBQ that I bought, dismantled, and put in my luggage.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, where did you guys get your maseca?? I'm so desperate for masa flour that I've contacted a few of the companies and may bring in some myself unless I can locate a local source.

My son mailed it to me along with 3 kilo,s of giant Mexican white dent corn, which I planted and made nixtamal..

While maseca is great to use here in Thailand, we never use it back home as fresh ground masa has a much better taste and texture then maseca, which is the taste I prefer.

But here in Thailand I am glad to receive it in a care package from home.

Bonobo,

How did your corn tortillas turn out?

Cheers:wai2.gif

My son mailed it to me along with 3 kilo,s of giant Mexican white dent corn, which I planted and made nixtamal..

While maseca is great to use here in Thailand, we never use it back home as fresh ground masa has a much better taste and texture then maseca, which is the taste I prefer.

But here in Thailand I am glad to receive it in a care package from home.

Bonobo,

How did your corn tortillas turn out?

It was no contest. The ready-made ones I brought were all broken in transit. We made sort to chips with the fragments. So in a technical disqualification, mine won!

Brought it in myself.

I bring in 210 pounds of stuff on each trip, and this time, as there were two of us, I brought in almost 420 pounds. The bulk of that was a New Braunfels BBQ that I bought, dismantled, and put in my luggage.

So, where is it stashed and when are you going to be away next??whistling.gif 555

Lucky dog!!

Brought it in myself.

So, where is it stashed and when are you going to be away next??whistling.gif 555

Lucky dog!!

Guarded by rabid rottweilers!

I woke up this morning, with the beautiful smell of homemade chorizo cooking, and immediately knew it would be another great day in Thailand.

When I went to the kitchen my wife placed before me a plate of frijoles refritos, huevo's a la Mexicana, 2 eggs mixed with tomato, onions and chile ,the colors of the Mexican flag (red/white/green) and chorizo con papa's, great home made chorizo and a fresh made flour tortilla (that is also so easy to make at home)

post-91962-0-21728300-1380854402_thumb.j

What a great way to start the day!

I woke up this morning, with the beautiful smell of homemade chorizo cooking, and immediately knew it would be another great day in Thailand.

When I went to the kitchen my wife placed before me a plate of frijoles refritos, huevo's a la Mexicana, 2 eggs mixed with tomato, onions and chile ,the colors of the Mexican flag (red/white/green) and chorizo con papa's, great home made chorizo and a fresh made flour tortilla (that is also so easy to make at home)

attachicon.gifIMG_1083.JPG

What a great way to start the day!

How long did it take to teach your wife how to cook Mexican food? I think you wrote before that she likes it, but did she like it right away when she first tried it?

My ex (American) hated Mexican food, but grew to like it between what I prepared and the restaurants we had available in San Diego and over the border into Tijuana. My current g/f (Thai) likes it, but she won't cook it. She waits for me to cook it. Then again, she doesn't cook much except for a very few Thai dishes and surprisingly good cupcakes.

My wife prefers Thai food, she likes certain Mexican dishes and is a very good cook, my mother in law eats flour tortillas every day, she makes small fat tortillas and love Frijoles de la Hoya, fresh cooked un-mashed Pinto beans. She is a vegetarian and has not tried the meat dishes.

My wife considers daily cooking as her job and insist that I teach her to cook the food I enjoy, which I am more than happy to do. I guess I was very lucky to find a wife that loves to cook, and as she does not work outside of the house (stay at home mom) she has the time to do it, she also grinds my nixtamal and makes our homemade chorizo.

My wife prefers Thai food, she likes certain Mexican dishes and is a very good cook, my mother in law eats flour tortillas every day, she makes small fat tortillas and love Frijoles de la Hoya, fresh cooked un-mashed Pinto beans. She is a vegetarian and has not tried the meat dishes.

My wife considers daily cooking as her job and insist that I teach her to cook the food I enjoy, which I am more than happy to do. I guess I was very lucky to find a wife that loves to cook, and as she does not work outside of the house (stay at home mom) she has the time to do it, she also grinds my nixtamal and makes our homemade chorizo.

Does she have a sister? (Don't let my g/f find out I asked that. smile.png )

She does have a sister, but the sister is married.

I was just very lucky when I met my wife, as she was all I ever wished for in a partner, in the event your relationship should terminate and you are looking for a new partner, try to a-certain you have many of the same goals in common before you get to serious and that she has the skills you would like in a women, that enjoys cooking and is willing to learn new things.

I did not do that, mine was just pure luck. But a recent positive thread on TV, I found I was not the only one completely satisfied with my wife, there are many more Falang that found the wife of their dreams, many good women with the skills you would desire in a women, you just have to find them.

Discreetly when talking to your girl friend drop hints like you always wanted a women that loved to cook, maybe if she knew how important it is to you, she might try.,

Who knows, Stranger things have happened.

Good Luck!

Cheers:

My Thai wife will eat my Mexican food, but will always be a true Thai when it comes to cooking it............smart girl, as I end up cooking at least half of the food in our household, as I got bored with rice and noodles years ago. Lucky I enjoy cooking.

I've often wondered why [most] Thais don't take to Mex food very much, as most of the ingredients are same same. I know that they don't like corn except as sweet corn and on salads etc, but give a Thai a tortilla and they will throw it like a Frisbee.

• 3 weeks later...

a little off topic but what can I use Masa / tortilla mix to make something for breakfast that is a little like oatmeal ?

I normally have Oatmeal for breakfast and add some bananas or berry flavoring ( sugar free koolaid type powder)

But I really like corn tortillas too so was wondering if there was a way to cook that too ,

Could I use the rice cooker ?

I bought some Grits at the store , which is also growned corn , but it really did not have much of the "corn" taste , it was really bland

Any ideas ? I am in Los angeles now so getting Mexician stuff is no problem :o

Hello All, BKKdreaming have you tried this Thai product? I haven't but I don't think

it's going to have the flavor of a masa mix, which would be a waste of a mix you

can't buy off the shelf here in LOS.

Maybe try the Thai mix with a pinch of cali you can buy in LA at most Mex Markets.

rice555 An oatmeal person.

post-37242-0-93039100-1383550265_thumb.j

I have not tried the Thai product as I am in Los Angeles now ,

I guess I am trying to get more the taste of corn bread ,

I might just buy one of those mixes and see how it works as "oatmeal"

and yes I had real oat "oatmeal" for breakfast today with berry flavoring powder that you normally add to water and drink......

• 3 weeks later...

Please find attached a picture of the "Red Limestone Paste" (Bpoon Daeng) that was purchase this morning at the village market for 5 baht a bag.

attachicon.gifIMG_0955.JPG

It is food grade as Thai use it while chewing Betel nuts, in the making of Thai rice wine and in cooking.

I know we cant post the Thai words her. Could you send me an IM with this in Thai. Wife didnt understand when I used the English words, and since I only get to make corn tortilla's when I bring the masa back from Cali, the thought of being able to make it has my mouth watering

Please find attached a picture of the "Red Limestone Paste" (Bpoon Daeng) that was purchase this morning at the village market for 5 baht a bag.

attachicon.gifIMG_0955.JPG

It is food grade as Thai use it while chewing Betel nuts, in the making of Thai rice wine and in cooking.

I know we cant post the Thai words her. Could you send me an IM with this in Thai. Wife didnt understand when I used the English words, and since I only get to make corn tortilla's when I bring the masa back from Cali, the thought of being able to make it has my mouth watering

Kikoman, don't worry figured it out, I'm off to the market this morning

• 1 month later...

Finally my masa corn is ready to be nixtamalized and I will have some white corn tortillas, our corn came out with smaller kernels to what we had expected, but our new crop is coming along great, the tallest stalks are 12 foot high, the corn itself looks a lot bigger then the first crop, we planted.

The corn we stored and will process it a kilo at a time as needed, looking good!

post-91962-0-16455100-1389012824_thumb.j

post-91962-0-27373800-1389012904_thumb.j post-91962-0-68462600-1389012960_thumb.j

Cheers

Finally my masa corn is ready to be nixtamalized and I will have some white corn tortillas, our corn came out with smaller kernels to what we had expected, but our new crop is coming along great, the tallest stalks are 12 foot high, the corn itself looks a lot bigger then the first crop, we planted.

The corn we stored and will process it a kilo at a time as needed, looking good!

attachicon.gifB2.JPG

attachicon.gifB-3.JPG attachicon.gifB-4.JPG

Cheers

I am in the proccess of growing some dent corn, my stocks are around 6 ft. I am worried about pests, did you spray anything onto your corn? Ref the above conversation, you can get red lime or white (food grade lime) at any market in Thailand just ask for poon dang or poon cow. They use both for chewing bettel nut. I have used the white lime for nixtamalizing and it worked great.

No, I did not spray my corn, had no problems, Correction I did have one stalk that had black dust all over it, I pulled it out and burned it, no other problem.

You are correct, I always used white lime, before using it place it in a pan of water, it foams a little for 5 minutes then it is safe to used in the nixtamalization process. My MIL was the one that told me about Bpoon Daeng, used it once and prefer using the white lime!

The process is very rewarding in the end, with some great corn tortillas!

Cheers

2 other sources. 1. burn hardwood sive the ash and mix with water to slack then add to corn and water and heat(takes about a cup of ash to 2 or3 c corn) this adds a smoky flavor some love. 2. rost snail shells till compleatly white...over night on charcoal. when cooled and set for a day or so they break down into powder. mixed and used like bought lime.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

2 other sources. 1. burn hardwood sive the ash and mix with water to slack then add to corn and water and heat(takes about a cup of ash to 2 or3 c corn) this adds a smoky flavor some love. 2. rost snail shells till compleatly white...over night on charcoal. when cooled and set for a day or so they break down into powder. mixed and used like bought lime. Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for the information, I have used the wood ash in the past, learn that from Yaqui Indians in Sonora, but the snail shell is something I did not know, thanks for that information!

Cheers

• 5 months later...

We are a group of Mexicans with a tortilla factory based in Bangkok. We mill our own corn and make our own tortillas any size from 3" to 16" in, as well as corn tortillas chips, on the corn chip we make them in diffrent thickness depending on the use that is desired for a final product., Masa for tamales. And other Mexican products from the corn we mill.

We don't use any form of chemicals. Cal as we call it in mexico is a powdery chemical that alter ulcers and it really bad for the digestive system.

We are a group of Mexicans with a tortilla factory based in Bangkok. We mill our own corn and make our own tortillas any size from 3" to 16" in, as well as corn tortillas chips, on the corn chip we make them in diffrent thickness depending on the use that is desired for a final product., Masa for tamales. And other Mexican products from the corn we mill.

We don't use any form of chemicals. Cal as we call it in mexico is a powdery chemical that alter ulcers and it really bad for the digestive system.

I wish you would reconsider about using cal and make your toritllas and masa the traditional way. I think you could make a lot of money. I did a brief internet search and didn't find any reference to ulcers caused by cal. I do know that cal increases the nutritional value of the corn. Why not give the public a choice: make it both ways.

• 7 months later...

Archived