Four 'overland' Myanmar-Thai border crossings to open - date set as 28th August

SeaVisionBurma

Four Thai-Myanmar border crossings to be opened on August 28

from Eleven Myanmar online, 26th August 2013

Daily_August25_Border_gate_KSM.jpg

Myawady border gates which is one of Myanmar-Thai border checkpoints (Photo/EMG)

Myanmar and Thai citizens, as well as foreign tourists, will be allowed to pass through four Thai-Myanmar border checkpoints, including Myawady, starting from August 28, an official said.

"We have received instructions to allow Thai citizens and foreign tourists to pass through all four border checkpoints on August 28. The remarkable thing is that Myanmar citizens with visas and passports will also be allowed to visit [Thailand] through the border crossings," said an official from the Immigration and National Registration Department of Myawady District.

The four checkpoints include Tarchileik-Mae Sai, Myawady-Mae Sot, Kawthaung-Ranong and Htee Khee-Sunaron. Fine will be imposed if their visa expired.

Read the full article here - http://www.elevenmyanmar.com/tourism/3182-four-thai-myanmar-border-crossings-to-be-opened-on-august-28

• Like 2

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This s good news. So can I apply for a Myanmar visa in Bangkok, enter the country via Mai Sod / Myawaddy, travel by road to Yangon, and fly back to Thailand?

The article seems to say that this will possible as of Wednesday. The practical question is whether there are buses from Myawaddy to Yangon.

This s good news. So can I apply for a Myanmar visa in Bangkok, enter the country via Mai Sod / Myawaddy, travel by road to Yangon, and fly back to Thailand?

The article seems to say that this will possible as of Wednesday. The practical question is whether there are buses from Myawaddy to Yangon.

The short answer is - yes. This is exactly the intent of the new rules.

The long answer/sound advice is to not take anything for granted yet. I expect some teething problems both with the overland permission part, as well as issues with the actual transportation.

I'll keep updating the Myanmar Forum as solid news or credible feedback comes in, but for now I see it as a good step which will hopefully become a reality.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 1

The short answer is - yes. This is exactly the intent of the new rules.

The long answer/sound advice is to not take anything for granted yet. I expect some teething problems both with the overland permission part, as well as issues with the actual transportation.

I'll keep updating the Myanmar Forum as solid news or credible feedback comes in, but for now I see it as a good step which will hopefully become a reality.

OK, let's see what will actually happen. I can imagine that if there are no buses yet, there eventually will be, just because there will be a demand.

It takes good 2 days 1 night to travel from Myawaddy to Yangon. And the buses have no aircon. Just imagine yourself sitting in a green bus(old type) without aircon but a bit better.

When you take bus, make sure you ask whether the road is going down or up for that day. bcaz the road is directional and change everyday.

Great news. I am hoping to check out the Mae Sot Myawaddy entrance in early September.

I am planning to get a bus to Kawkareik and then back out again to check road conditions.

If I am lucky may be able to get a motorbike in and out on that road.

The road from Mae Sot to Kawkareik is very bad but really scenic I am told.

Then you have to go from Kawkareik to Pa An. Pa-An to Yangon is easy and well made road.

I have driven this last section many times.

I have Thai friends in Thailand who have got permits to drive their own motorbikes in and out.

Dont know yet how it is applied for.

If you go to Kawthaung and enter you can take a fast boat up the coast to Myeik and Dawei when sea conditions are not rough.

But probably not during monsoon. Other than that you can fly to Myeik, Dawei or Yangon.

I have been on that boat from Dawei to Myeik only. Which takes a day.

I had a western friend who recently took the bus from Dawei to Mawlamyine and onto Yangon.

I have asked here in Yangon at MMTA but they dont know if this is allowed.

Still lots of progress and looking forward to the overland routes opening at last.

• Like 1

Any more news on Ranong-Kawthaung?

Is it possible to venture a bit up the coast after crossing there ( and if so by what mode of transport)?

I take it Visa is Still via Bkk Embassy?

Best to look through the other threads on this section for info on trips through Kawthoung. I have made various posts on this area.

Cheers

SVB

Can you just turn up with a British passport & get a Visa to cross over for a few hours at Mae-Sai Tachileik

If so,how much do it cost ?

Yes. Visa is 500 baht. Or 10 US dollars. roughly 200 baht cheaper if you use a $10 dollar bill.

Be aware, upon re-entry to Thailand you will use an entry on a multi entry visa, or be given 15 day land crossing visa.

Update: Before the TV correctness police come bearing down. Not sure if it's technically a "Visa".

Edited by clarkeman

Can you just turn up with a British passport & get a Visa to cross over for a few hours at Mae-Sai Tachileik

If so,how much do it cost ?

Yes. Visa is 500 baht. Or 10 US dollars. roughly 200 baht cheaper if you use a $10 dollar bill.

Be aware, upon re-entry to Thailand you will use an entry on a multi entry visa, or be given 15 day land crossing visa.

Update: Before the TV correctness police come bearing down. Not sure if it's technically a "Visa".

Yes - i did this over 3 years ago ... went to the boarder post paid my fees and they generated an Entry Permit with my details and picture on the spot.

The scary part was that they retained my passport .... but no problem - on my return a few hours later it was waiting for me !

As advised above I ended up with a 15 day land crossing visa on arrival for thai - which was OK for me, but check your dates.

As advised above I ended up with a 15 day land crossing visa on arrival for thai - which was OK for me, but check your dates.

Not a "visa on arrival" it is a visa exempt entry. It is an entry stamp only for a certain period (in this case 15 days) - do not confuse this with a visa.

• Like 1

Yes there are - buses have been running on this route for years but you need to be able to read Burmese to recognize the signs. The buses are signed only in Burmese, no English.

However I would personally skip the bus for the first dangerous sections between Myawaddy and Kawkareik and catch either a motorcycle or a car with driver, at least to Kawkareik or otherwise Hpa-an. Once you're in Hpa-an, there are 2 daily buses along a good, paved road to Yangon. Only the road between Thinnaungiyon or whatever it's called (about 15km west of Myawaddy, beyond the industrial estate) and Kawkareik is in really bad shape, everything after Kawkareik towards Hpa-an is in decent condition, but of course the 40 or so km of crap road could take hours to pass through, depending on road conditions and traffic.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

when visa on arrival for myanmar would be available at the border checkpoint?any date for VOA set already yet?as myanmar still doesn't offer asean passport holder for visa free entry yet,only free visa travel to thai passport.