Four 'overland' Myanmar-Thai border crossings to open - date set as 28th August

SeaVisionBurma

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This s good news. So can I apply for a Myanmar visa in Bangkok, enter the country via Mai Sod / Myawaddy, travel by road to Yangon, and fly back to Thailand?

The article seems to say that this will possible as of Wednesday. The practical question is whether there are buses from Myawaddy to Yangon.

The short answer is - yes. This is exactly the intent of the new rules.

The long answer/sound advice is to not take anything for granted yet. I expect some teething problems both with the overland permission part, as well as issues with the actual transportation.

I'll keep updating the Myanmar Forum as solid news or credible feedback comes in, but for now I see it as a good step which will hopefully become a reality.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 1

I first made a post about the opening of the Myawaddy-Mae Sot crossing back in March, when I first heard about it from Myanmar immigration and Thai/Burmese contacts I was dealing with at the time. It seems that it has finally happened - numerous news outlets wouldn't post something false so we can assume that the 4 crossings have indeed opened on schedule, but it will probably take a few more days for travellers reports to come through mainly because it's so new and also because border areas such as Myawaddy and Tachilek have few hotels/places with reliable internet access, thus delaying traveller's reports. There won't be any problems with permissions to cross - because this is now allowed and officials will be aware of this - no idea why you would be concerned about this.

For the Myawaddy-Kawkareik road, whatever checkpoints existed in the past (apparently only one as the first one at the end of the industrial zone was never really manned except during the night, when travel is not permitted) will be dismantled. Note that I went past the industrial zone back in February when overland travel beyond Myawaddy was not yet permitted (in theory) although in practice one could probably go all the way to Hpa-an provided they were able to arrive back in Myawaddy before the bridge closes at 6pm-6.30pm Thai time to collect their passport.

Transportation is another thing, but if you can bring your car across or otherwise hire a car with driver I don't see any problems either. It may be a bit more challenging travelling by bus but where bus services are available I also don't see a problem.

The bus I took from Yangon to Hpa-An was definitely overdue for the scrappers. Also it is wise to carry 3 extra copies of your Passport with Myanmar VISA to hand over at police checkpoints.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The bus I took from Yangon to Hpa-An was definitely overdue for the scrappers. Also it is wise to carry 3 extra copies of your Passport with Myanmar VISA to hand over at police checkpoints.

Thanks for the tip with the extra copies, much appreciated.

Thanks for the tip with the extra copies, much appreciated.

No need for that, certainly not if traveling from Myawaddy to Yangon. I traveled Yangon to Hpa-an and up to Gyaing (west of Kawkareik) back in February and again to the Hpa-an area in April, there were no checkpoints and thus no need for anyone to check anything. Even if they did, just showing your passport would be good enough (if requested). But then again I don't travel by bus, but by hired car with driver or hopefully soon, by myself in my own car.

Where is Htee Khee - Suranon? Can't find it anywhere on Google maps.

Apparently in Kanchanaburi province, due west of Kanchanaburi city.

On google maps follow the road SE from Myitta in Burma.

Sounds like the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing then - the one which will eventually form part of the Bangkok-Kanchanaburi-Dawei overland link via the new expressway planned between Bangkok and Dawei. Why then, with so much confusion about this crossing do they not indicate the names of the provinces (in Thailand)/states (in Burma) and just random names of cities? Suranon by itself is unknown as a place name in Thailand - despite my extensive knowledge of Thai geography even I wasn't able to figure out where it was unless it is where I have indicated. I can't imagine it would be anywhere else as I have never heard of any other border crossing in that region, certainly not any new one. The next closest one is the Three Pagodas Pass, but that one will probably only open in a few more months from now. Ditto for the Singkorn Pass.

There is a border post HERE (click for map)in South Kanchanaburi. The road on the Thai side is newly built and and billiard table perfect. Wide perfect tarmac newly built. It suddenly stops 50m before the border and then a dirt track leading to the small border post.

It is obviously designed as a future border. No doubt the amazing road there has been paid for by China.

Thanks edh69 for that info regarding the Tachilek crossing and still needing to fly from either Tachilek or Kengtung to Taunggyi. Looks like if you want to avoid flying altogether, you'll need to enter via Kawthoung or Myawaddy. Anyway, are you sure that bringing a Thai car across, at least for limited travel to Kengtung isn't allowed? Or perhaps the Burmese authorities are only allowing foreign cars in (with pre-approval) via Myawaddy as this is the route all the caravans seem to take.

edh69, do you know anyone I could contact to enquire about bringing in a car via Myawaddy and travelling to Yangon and back? Note that I wouldn't be going anywhere near Shan State, don't have any need nor time on this upcoming trip. I am aware that MTT authorize the permits but have no idea how to get started.

edh69, do you know anyone I could contact to enquire about bringing in a car via Myawaddy and travelling to Yangon and back? Note that I wouldn't be going anywhere near Shan State, don't have any need nor time on this upcoming trip. I am aware that MTT authorize the permits but have no idea how to get started.

no - really no idea and no contacts!

I'm guessing your contact in Tachilek wouldn't know much as that is not his area. I have found some information about how to drive your own car into Myanmar via Myawaddy - it is quite easy with only 1 month or so advance notice required, provided you join a caravan tour which departs every month or so. However, you won't have freedom to do as you like but you'll have to join the tour program as outlined by the companies organizing these tours.

Still don't know about going individually (well, with a guide) but I do have a contact at Myawaddy immigration (similar to your guy) who I could call and ask about this but I doubt he would be able to organize permits - he would simply know the rules.

Also, just out of curiosity, why isn't it possible to drive your own car outside of Tachilek? Given the opening up of the land routes surely you could at least drive up to Kengtung and Monglar as before? Hopefully one day the Burmese government will open that corridor as a new option for Thai, Chinese and third party tourists driving their own Thai or Chinese registered vehicles between Thailand and China, who currently have to go via Laos.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

So what is the deal with taking a Thai registered scooter over and doing a bit of a tour??

i really don't know it - sorry about - the best is - you will check yourself at the border...!

Yes that's probably the best answer I would have too. However, it depends a little which border you want to cross. Crossing from Mae Sot to Myawaddy will allow full access to the rest of the country (except restricted areas) except that currently, only caravan tours i.e. tours with an accompanying convoy are being made easily (found this out yesterday). These tours are currently running twice a month or even more often, with just a month advance notice required and you can go in a car tour or a motorcycle tour. There are at least 2 car tours operating next month, one enters Myawaddy on the 20th next month, the second one on either the 31st of October or the 1st of November. They aren't particularly expensive either - an all-inclusive 10-day tour with your own car costs about 55,000 Baht. The car documents and insurance cost just 5000 Baht and the other fees include accommodation, meals (I think) and other incidental costs, entrance fees etc. and this is based on departure from Bangkok and returning back to Bangkok.

Just bringing across a scooter to tour the border areas should work, but obviously that's not what you want - and probably only in Tachilek as I think that only cars and pre-approved motorcycles are allowed across to Myawaddy. Asking at the Myanmar embassy might work but when I was there a few days ago to pick up my passport and visa I didn't even bother asking them as all I could see were 4 busy counters handing back passports and nobody who looked qualified to ask about driving your own vehicle across to Myanmar, so I asked 2 travel agencies who sent me some info about driving into Myanmar on a tour.

• Like 1

So what is the deal with taking a Thai registered scooter over and doing a bit of a tour??

i really don't know it - sorry about - the best is - you will check yourself at the border...!

Yes that's probably the best answer I would have too. However, it depends a little which border you want to cross. Crossing from Mae Sot to Myawaddy will allow full access to the rest of the country (except restricted areas) except that currently, only caravan tours i.e. tours with an accompanying convoy are being made easily (found this out yesterday). These tours are currently running twice a month or even more often, with just a month advance notice required and you can go in a car tour or a motorcycle tour. There are at least 2 car tours operating next month, one enters Myawaddy on the 20th next month, the second one on either the 31st of October or the 1st of November. They aren't particularly expensive either - an all-inclusive 10-day tour with your own car costs about 55,000 Baht. The car documents and insurance cost just 5000 Baht and the other fees include accommodation, meals (I think) and other incidental costs, entrance fees etc. and this is based on departure from Bangkok and returning back to Bangkok.

Just bringing across a scooter to tour the border areas should work, but obviously that's not what you want - and probably only in Tachilek as I think that only cars and pre-approved motorcycles are allowed across to Myawaddy. Asking at the Myanmar embassy might work but when I was there a few days ago to pick up my passport and visa I didn't even bother asking them as all I could see were 4 busy counters handing back passports and nobody who looked qualified to ask about driving your own vehicle across to Myanmar, so I asked 2 travel agencies who sent me some info about driving into Myanmar on a tour.

Would you be willing to share with us which travel agencies would be able to organize such a tour to Myanmar as I am very much interested to join on one of these trips next month with my own car

Would you be willing to share with us which travel agencies would be able to organize such a tour to Myanmar as I am very much interested to join on one of these trips next month with my own car

Yes, I'll PM you later.

Ok as mentioned above I have now completed my excursion into Myanmar from Mae Sot and beyond to Kawkareik.

For me I have a multiple entry business visa for myanmar. I flew from Yangon to Bangkok because I had business there.

Took the bus to Mae Sot from Bangkok. Crossed the border. Stayed one night at a hotel in Myawaddi. Took a seat in a Corolla taxi station wagon to Kawkareik the next day. 2 hours drive for 41 miles (70 km) Stayed one night in Kawkareik at a hotel there and then took the same taxi back got delayed by a broken down truck. Crossed back out and here I am in Mae Sot.

Things you need to know: That road between Myawaddi and Kawkareik is really rough, but incredibly scenic and only one way on alternate days. This month September 2013 odd days are coming to Myawaddi, even days are going to Kawkareik.

If there are 31 days in a month this will change. So till end of October will be the same but November will be the opposite and so it goes.

You need to have a visa for Myanmar to proceed, but you can go to any unrestricted area in Myanmar. They even have a sign up to tell you where these are and they gave me a copy to put up on the internet for them. Immigration were really helpful and friendly.

You can buy a MPT GSM sim for 1500 kyat ($2) at the border. Get it even if you dont want it and once in Myanmar that is worth 70,000 kyat and you can give it to anyone and they will love you. These are rationed in Myanmar so this is another privilege for foreigners.

You can travel onward by hiring a car, taxi, van, or motorcyle. You can only bring your own vehicle in with prior permission.

Immigration could not tell me how to do that, but suggested for me to make enquiries with Myanmar Tourism and Tours MTT.

Have to follow that up.

Also you need to report yourself by showing passport when you leave Myawaddi and as you enter Kawkareik.

My driver did not and we got into a little trouble for that. It is all new and next time we know. There are areas in between that are the territory of the DKBA so you are not allowed to stray off the road. I tried to go to a monastery in that area to visit a famous monk near Kawkareik but was turned back by the immigration and police.

I have a car in Yangon and a Myanmar drivers licence so they said I could drive all the way to Myawaddi from Yangon. Though that last bit across the mountains is really rough on the car. Yangon to Kawkareik is all good road now.

Coming back to Thailand they only give you 15 days.

They are going to build a new road 21 miles long to Kawkareik to by pass the mountain scenic route. They expect to finish within 2 years. This mountain scenic route will probably be closed then or abandoned.

Ok border is open you are welcome to use it. No more "Land routes not permissable" on your visas. This is a big change and will bring lots of people in to explore a part of Myanmar which is rural and nice and welcoming.

I was here in 1989 when the Myanmar army was fighting with the Karens and would listen to the mortars and machine guns from the safety of Thailand. It is a great relief to see this area experiencing a more peaceful period.

• Like 2

Myawaddi to Kawkareik a single seat is 10,000 kyat one way.

I think would be not more than 20,000 to Pa An.

From Pa An there are express tour buses leaving in the evening for probably 12000 kyat.

You can get Taxi to Pa An arrives in about 6 hours on the correct day.

Then get Bus in evening to Yangon and theoretically get there in one day and night.

About 9 hours by bus from Pa An to Yangon

Ok as mentioned above I have now completed my excursion into Myanmar from Mae Sot and beyond to Kawkareik.

For me I have a multiple entry business visa for myanmar. I flew from Yangon to Bangkok because I had business there.

Took the bus to Mae Sot from Bangkok. Crossed the border. Stayed one night at a hotel in Myawaddi. Took a seat in a Corolla taxi station wagon to Kawkareik the next day. 2 hours drive for 41 miles (70 km) Stayed one night in Kawkareik at a hotel there and then took the same taxi back got delayed by a broken down truck. Crossed back out and here I am in Mae Sot.

Things you need to know: That road between Myawaddi and Kawkareik is really rough, but incredibly scenic and only one way on alternate days. This month September 2013 odd days are coming to Myawaddi, even days are going to Kawkareik.

If there are 31 days in a month this will change. So till end of October will be the same but November will be the opposite and so it goes.

You need to have a visa for Myanmar to proceed, but you can go to any unrestricted area in Myanmar. They even have a sign up to tell you where these are and they gave me a copy to put up on the internet for them. Immigration were really helpful and friendly.

You can buy a MPT GSM sim for 1500 kyat ($2) at the border. Get it even if you dont want it and once in Myanmar that is worth 70,000 kyat and you can give it to anyone and they will love you. These are rationed in Myanmar so this is another privilege for foreigners.

You can travel onward by hiring a car, taxi, van, or motorcyle. You can only bring your own vehicle in with prior permission.

Immigration could not tell me how to do that, but suggested for me to make enquiries with Myanmar Tourism and Tours MTT.

Have to follow that up.

Also you need to report yourself by showing passport when you leave Myawaddi and as you enter Kawkareik.

My driver did not and we got into a little trouble for that. It is all new and next time we know. There are areas in between that are the territory of the DKBA so you are not allowed to stray off the road. I tried to go to a monastery in that area to visit a famous monk near Kawkareik but was turned back by the immigration and police.

I have a car in Yangon and a Myanmar drivers licence so they said I could drive all the way to Myawaddi from Yangon. Though that last bit across the mountains is really rough on the car. Yangon to Kawkareik is all good road now.

They are going to build a new road 21 miles long to Kawkareik to by pass the mountain scenic route. They expect to finish within 2 years. This mountain scenic route will probably be closed then or abandoned.

Ok border is open you are welcome to use it. No more "Land routes not permissable" on your visas. This is a big change and will bring lots of people in to explore a part of Myanmar which is rural and nice and welcoming.

I was here in 1989 when the Myanmar army was fighting with the Karens and would listen to the mortars and machine guns from the safety of Thailand. It is a great relief to see this area experiencing a more peaceful period.

Great post. Thanks.

Have to follow that up.

Excellent post with lots of useful information.

Next month I will be travelling across the border for a business trip with 2 other travellers in my party. Originally I too wanted to gain permission for us to drive our car into Myanmar at this crossing but the information I have received seems to suggest that the only way you can go is either 1) with a Thai registered vehicle driving no further than the industrial estate, 12km from the border or 2) as part of a caravan tour with a set itinerary and as part of a convoy; the vehicle you choose to bring across can be registered in any foreign country, doesn't necessarily have to be Thai registered. In fact, in October 2 such convoys (as I mentioned above in an earlier post) will be entering Myawaddy and travelling inside Myanmar to Mawlamyine, Yangon, Inle Lake, Mandalay etc. with some vehicles coming from Singapore and Malaysia. So going individually, even if a local guide had to sit inside the car the whole time (which would be OK with me) is not an option at the moment for us, as we are going to visit sites in Kayin State (Myawaddy, Kawkareik, Hpa-an, Thamenya) and then Yangon, which means we would be inconvenienced by the rigid schedule of a caravan tour by car.

The per person rates for a seat in a Myanmar car with driver to Kawkareik being only 10000 Kyat and 20000 Kyat to Hpa-an is reasonable, given the exorbitant rates the will charge you if you rent a car with driver in Yangon, Naypyidaw or Mandalay for example. The very minimum I was able to find for outside of city travel was 70,000 Kyat per day from Yangon, but generally most drivers and especially travel agencies will want 100,000 Kyat or more.

Where did you find the car with driver in Myawaddy, on the main highway just after the bridge? Last time I was in Myawaddy for a day trip, that's where I went for a car with driver (and on previous trips, motorcycle with driver). I was told back in February that the going rate for all day travel was 1000 Baht for a car with driver, but this seems very cheap compared to the rest of Myanmar - perhaps this price has now gone up and also back in February, when I went past the industrial zone, I was told that technically it wasn't allowed to pass the industrial zone for foreigners hence the drivers were mostly used to inside town trips. This time of course, things have changed.

Where do you need to show your passport when exiting Myawaddy? I remember the same system at Muse (next to the Chinese border) where you have to show your passport and visa to enter and exit the Muse economic zone but nowhere else.

What were the names of the hotels you stayed in Myawaddy and Kawkareik? How much per night, and what facilities did they have? Any wifi internet and satellite TV or is that asking for too much? The hotels I saw in Myawaddy didn't look particularly good, but we are intending on spending one night there on our way into Myanmar next month. I hear the road will be for traffic heading west to Kawkareik on October 20th, which will allow us to spend the night in Hpa-an which I am about to book.

Lastly, I have asked for a quote from a Myanmar travel agency for a package including car and driver and hotels booked for Myawaddy (one night), Hpa-an (1 night) and Yangon (2 nights). The other 2 nights I have already booked for a hotel in Mawlamyine - I am awaiting a reply from the travel agency for their quote, but I expect it might be quite high so perhaps finding a car with driver and booking hotels separately will be more cost-effective for us.

Have to follow that up.

Excellent post with lots of useful information.

Next month I will be travelling across the border for a business trip with 2 other travellers in my party. Originally I too wanted to gain permission for us to drive our car into Myanmar at this crossing but the information I have received seems to suggest that the only way you can go is either 1) with a Thai registered vehicle driving no further than the industrial estate, 12km from the border or 2) as part of a caravan tour with a set itinerary and as part of a convoy; the vehicle you choose to bring across can be registered in any foreign country, doesn't necessarily have to be Thai registered. In fact, in October 2 such convoys (as I mentioned above in an earlier post) will be entering Myawaddy and travelling inside Myanmar to Mawlamyine, Yangon, Inle Lake, Mandalay etc. with some vehicles coming from Singapore and Malaysia. So going individually, even if a local guide had to sit inside the car the whole time (which would be OK with me) is not an option at the moment for us, as we are going to visit sites in Kayin State (Myawaddy, Kawkareik, Hpa-an, Thamenya) and then Yangon, which means we would be inconvenienced by the rigid schedule of a caravan tour by car.

The per person rates for a seat in a Myanmar car with driver to Kawkareik being only 10000 Kyat and 20000 Kyat to Hpa-an is reasonable, given the exorbitant rates the will charge you if you rent a car with driver in Yangon, Naypyidaw or Mandalay for example. The very minimum I was able to find for outside of city travel was 70,000 Kyat per day from Yangon, but generally most drivers and especially travel agencies will want 100,000 Kyat or more.

Where did you find the car with driver in Myawaddy, on the main highway just after the bridge? Last time I was in Myawaddy for a day trip, that's where I went for a car with driver (and on previous trips, motorcycle with driver). I was told back in February that the going rate for all day travel was 1000 Baht for a car with driver, but this seems very cheap compared to the rest of Myanmar - perhaps this price has now gone up and also back in February, when I went past the industrial zone, I was told that technically it wasn't allowed to pass the industrial zone for foreigners hence the drivers were mostly used to inside town trips. This time of course, things have changed.

Where do you need to show your passport when exiting Myawaddy? I remember the same system at Muse (next to the Chinese border) where you have to show your passport and visa to enter and exit the Muse economic zone but nowhere else.

What were the names of the hotels you stayed in Myawaddy and Kawkareik? How much per night, and what facilities did they have? Any wifi internet and satellite TV or is that asking for too much? The hotels I saw in Myawaddy didn't look particularly good, but we are intending on spending one night there on our way into Myanmar next month. I hear the road will be for traffic heading west to Kawkareik on October 20th, which will allow us to spend the night in Hpa-an which I am about to book.

Lastly, I have asked for a quote from a Myanmar travel agency for a package including car and driver and hotels booked for Myawaddy (one night), Hpa-an (1 night) and Yangon (2 nights). The other 2 nights I have already booked for a hotel in Mawlamyine - I am awaiting a reply from the travel agency for their quote, but I expect it might be quite high so perhaps finding a car with driver and booking hotels separately will be more cost-effective for us.

These quotes end up mighty large.

Not sure about this format of this forum.

Anyway. Hotel at Myawaddy is called Myawaddy Hotel (dont laugh). It is just further up the road from the bridge on the left. Clean, has internet, 25000 kyat per night. Best in town according to immigration. Even had hot showers, TV, and air con I think. Nice place. They can also arrange cars.

I had friends in town so they got me a seat in the shared taxi. I am sure the hotel could arrange.

There are 4 seats in the shared taxi so you should be able to rent the lot for 40,000 to Kawkareik.

Stayed at a place called "Honey" in Kawkareik. 10,000 kyat per night. Clean, cold showers, no electricity except 6pm to 10 pm. Whole town is like that. So quite hot the fans come on at 6pm. They do not provide a towel or soap so bring your own.

No internet there, but my mpt phone internet worked there pretty well.

You need to show passport at exit of town. Look for big blue sign going up hill out of Myawaddi and entrance to Kawkariek (look for barb wired barriers and police and immigration guys sleeping on chairs.) According to the signs it is the responsibility of the drivers so in the next few months they will know the places.

I speak Burmese so I get a lot of repect for that and I have friends in those towns so it makes it easier.

Generally prices for cars are dependent on time and distance so when you charter one you have to think of how much fuel is involved.

If you pay about 10,000 over what the going rate is you still end up with a cheap trip and a happy driver.

So you bargain, but if you hang around long enough and know people you will get the real price.

Doesnt mean I dont pay more, but I have worked jobs like that myself and the people you never forget are the ones who gave you a little extra just out of kindness.

Heres a link to some photos and more info.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151882654719380.1073741830.663854379&type=1&l=dca9c84812

Edited by gregk0543
  • Like 1

This thread is quite lengthy...so I won't quote it.

Anyway, @gregk0543, great info, thanks a lot. I will be sure to stay at the Myawaddy Hotel as the best hotel in town sounds like the place for us to stay and at only 25,000 Kyat (less than US$30) that's not a whole lot for Myanmar.

Nice pics and I hope to post my own experiences next month once I head over there.

BTW speaking Burmese certainly helps a lot, I'm sure - although you sound like you are a Myanmar based expat, which makes it considerably easier to pick up. Unfortunately, I don't speak any Burmese apart from a few greeting words but I do speak Thai fluently, which was very helpful in a small village near Thamenyar, some 100km from the Thai border due to that village being composed of members of the Pa-O ethnic group (whose native language is similar to Thai) and many of the younger residents of the village have worked in Thailand in the past and can for some reason only receive Thai TV (the reception for Myanmar TV is very bad).

Hey quick q any ATMs/money changers at or before Hpa-An? Will only have 20,000 in kyat on me which will get me to Hpa-An from Mywaddy but no further or nowhere to sleep! Will have to be USD/THB or an ATM!

Edit: cancel that - KBZ branch in Myawaddy so all bases should be covered.

Edited by householder