Why?...

rai57000

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, he has a Thai girlfriend who watches music videos. She thinks that this is cool so he does it. Rap and Hip Hop are destroying Thai culture.

Rap and Hip Hop is not music, it is just noise pure and simple. Music is played by instruments, piano, saxophone, guitar etc. not put together with stupid noises on a computer.

... and TV's are not in Black and White any more.

Times have moved on and so have musical tastes.

Though your personal music tastes are certainly valid for you.

Was in conversation with a friend a few days ago and I asked him to answer this simple question but he could not... Can anyone on this Forum?

You have friends . . . REALLY?

The last time I was in Big C just walking round and enjoying the day out getting in the weekly shop I saw a Farang around 50ish walking towards me and for sure it is not unusual to see a fellow Farang you have never met before in ever growing Chiang rai but I always nod or say hello in passing but this time I didn't nod or say hello I am a little ashamed to say, I walked in the other direction for 1 reason....

Tell me, what gives you the right to decide how people should dress?

Can anyone explain why a man in his 50s would have on a pair of black sun specs and a baseball cap back to front?????????????????????.. Now I am not a sharp dresser by all means but come on,,, A BASEBALL CAP back to front and shades in a well well well lit store???... Why? Your thoughts....

My thoughts, . . .no explanation should be necessary, you never heard of individuality?

You do not have the right to decide how people should dress, but you do have the right to decide who or not you want to talk too. If any clean looking, or someone dressed normally approaches me anywhere where there are other people around, Farang or Thai, I will be happy to talk to them, but dark glasses and a baseball cap on the wrong way round is certainly not normal. I take the point that wearing dark glasses could be for some sort of eyesight problem though.

Yes, he has a Thai girlfriend who watches music videos. She thinks that this is cool so he does it. Rap and Hip Hop are destroying Thai culture.

Rap and Hip Hop is not music, it is just noise pure and simple. Music is played by instruments, piano, saxophone, guitar etc. not put together with stupid noises on a computer.

I appreciate any music, as long as it is played with musical instruments and by proper musicians. That is not to say I like all kinds of music.

I appreciate any music, as long as it is played with musical instruments and by proper musicians. That is not to say I like all kinds of music.

I guess you cannot stand the 1812 overture then. It uses a canon and that is not a musical instrument.

This kind of topic pops up with some regularity, usually started by someone relatively new and still coming to grips with the peculiarities of life in Thailand. Sometimes it is why do Thais do this, other times it is why do farangs do that.

A quick look around and one can easily discern the norms for both dress and behavior. If you intentionally step beyond those boundaries, you are going to attract attention to yourself, which may be good or bad. Though one may have a certain amount of freedom when it comes to attire, those around you also have the freedom to be turned off by your choices and even to express their disapproval.

First impressions are an important protective device for the observer, though not always completely accurate. We all do it. We look at a person and size them up. Later, we may be proven wrong but better safe than sorry much of the time.

Most people would not walk into a biker bar and make derogatory remarks about motorcycles, tattoos, drunkenness or brawling, while wearing a tutu. Making some observations on ThaiVisa is the equivalent, as it is those people who are reading the post, not likeminded individuals.wink.png

What people wear and how they project themselves in public is their business.

But the OP raises a fundamental puzzler as to why Farang skillfully ignore each other in passing. Is it that I am much uglier than my kind tgf tells me and that they are avoiding eye contact so as not to reveal their revulsion?

Is it that they feel as though they are the only Farang in the village and by ignoring me they will remain so? Or what is it? Am I missing something here? Why are fellow farangs so overtly and covertly rude to other farangs? ( and no you acerbc wits, it aint just me I have seen it many times in others)

I always attempt to at least nod, even to cap-rear-facing sunglass clad posers as a way of saying I understand how it is to be here and hey arent we all in this together? Has magnamanity and decency drowned in the milk of human kindness?

While I agree if VF walked in to a bikie bar wearing a tutu it would cause a stir I think there are some nice young females that would cause a positive stir if they walked in wearing one.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 2

To pastafarian and aliep,

Where are my manners, I should be saying you are welcome. Without a certain individuals hatred of me, and continued vendetta, there would be no “friendly” forum and those people would still be disrupting this forum. Glad I could be of assistance. No one is forcing you to come and disrupt things here.biggrin.png

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

Well you lot have been busy this morning. Here is the VF take on this subject. Accessorizing in my opinion, is a sign of insecurity. It can be used to hide ones flaws or project wealth. Sometimes accessories are used as a sign of membership in a particular cultural subgroup.
This guy apparently identifies with a somewhat outdated image projected by the glasses and backward facing hat, though it could be that he is just ugly and trying to high that fact. Some guys accessorize by driving around in a little BMW sports car. Others dress like cowboys or perhaps adorn themselves with tattoos.
With such a broad spectrum of foreigners represented in Chiang Rai, is it any wonder that you should come across individuals who are different from oneself?
Sure you may be attracted by some looks and repulsed by others, but the secret it to show no outward reaction and remain nonjudgemental about the appearance of others. You are of course entitled to your opinion but voicing it in public may end up being more inappropriate than the offenders dress code.

Surprised by the hypocrisy of this post! I've read quite a bit of your blog and on numerous occasions on there, and on thaivisa, you have mentioned your new Fortuner you recently bought and love showing off your house/garden by way of pictures of mentioning it. Wasn't there a thread on here recently about how much someone could buy with 1000 baht here and then you said you could never live like that then highlighted what expensive taste you had. So are you trying to hide your flaws of project wealth?

Having wealth and using it sensibly is not a crime...unless you are a monk and despite the shaven head I am sure VF is not one of them. He likes nice things and is entitled to them in the same way as someone who likes basball caps has every right to wear them....facing whichever way they like them to.

• Like 1

Well you lot have been busy this morning. Here is the VF take on this subject. Accessorizing in my opinion, is a sign of insecurity. It can be used to hide ones flaws or project wealth. Sometimes accessories are used as a sign of membership in a particular cultural subgroup.
This guy apparently identifies with a somewhat outdated image projected by the glasses and backward facing hat, though it could be that he is just ugly and trying to high that fact. Some guys accessorize by driving around in a little BMW sports car. Others dress like cowboys or perhaps adorn themselves with tattoos.
With such a broad spectrum of foreigners represented in Chiang Rai, is it any wonder that you should come across individuals who are different from oneself?
Sure you may be attracted by some looks and repulsed by others, but the secret it to show no outward reaction and remain nonjudgemental about the appearance of others. You are of course entitled to your opinion but voicing it in public may end up being more inappropriate than the offenders dress code.

Surprised by the hypocrisy of this post! I've read quite a bit of your blog and on numerous occasions on there, and on thaivisa, you have mentioned your new Fortuner you recently bought and love showing off your house/garden by way of pictures of mentioning it. Wasn't there a thread on here recently about how much someone could buy with 1000 baht here and then you said you could never live like that then highlighted what expensive taste you had. So are you trying to hide your flaws of project wealth?

Having wealth and using it sensibly is not a crime...unless you are a monk and despite the shaven head I am sure VF is not one of them. He likes nice things and is entitled to them in the same way as someone who likes basball caps has every right to wear them....facing whichever way they like them to.

Thank you harrry and by the way I have never mentioned buying a new Forturner on Thai Visa because I knew it would upset someone for sure.laugh.png

Thank you harrry and by the way I have never mentioned buying a new Forturner on Thai Visa because I knew it would upset someone for sure.laugh.png

I wanted an MU7 but ended up having to get a Vigo which suits most of my needs better. Make sure you get some mud on it.....4 wheel drives are meant to be used.

Harrry, I think you know what I mean, but I will try and answer you, I don't know the song you mentioned, but as it sounds like an opera song, there will be plenty of talented musicians playing on it. I don't know how old you are, but when I was a kid, there was a song called "Telstar" which had aeroplane engine sounds on it, but it was still played by musical instruments.

He may be suffering from cataracts and have a sensitivity to light. The capfaced the front in the sun but it was easier to turn it round in the shade than try to force it into a pocket. Who cares what he wears.

People who worry about what other people are wearing are generally the same ones that object to schools having a uniform code....I wonder why?

Also, the cap back to front keeps the sun from his white skinned neck.

I wanted an MU7 but ended up having to get a Vigo which suits most of my needs better. Make sure you get some mud on it.....4 wheel drives are meant to be used.

You haven’t been to my blog recently or you would know that it has been chocolate brown on several occasions. Fortunately our friend got out of the car without adding additional color to the interior, after experiencing some very steep and twisty roads on that little day trip we did.smile.png

Edited by villagefarang

You haven’t been to my blog recently or you would know that it has been chocolate brown on several occasions. Fortunately our friend got out of the car without adding additional color to the interior, after experiencing some very steep and twisty roads on that little day trip we did.smile.png

He did tell me travelling with you was a sickening experience...but i did not want to tell everyone.smile.png

One day you will have to come with me in my vigo and show me where to go though as you know the roads would be best if you drove.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, hope you are not referring to jazz there - that is quite a racket too and probably influences hip hop to some degree

• Like 1

VF doesn't "show off" as you say he shares his life with the friends he has on the CR forum , whom he has grown to know . And to show us something he has weather it be his house , bike or car is pleasing to his friends . well done VF love reading your blog . Gemerally people like to show their acheivements in life , does not mean they are showing off. Just my thoughts .

Thank you very much.wai.gif

What seems to me an even greater mystery is why truck drivers put pictures of Rambo and George Michael dressed as a cowboy on the rear mud flaps of their trucks. I'm convinced there's a hidden message somewhere, but my simple mind just can't crack it. Help, please.

• Like 1

I'll put my baseball cap on the right way round when I go out next time if it makes people happier..

picky picky...

The shades are to disguise me from the other forum's hit squad.

As soon as I read this, I was sure it was you he was talking about :)

Hmmmm, hope you are not referring to jazz there - that is quite a racket too and probably influences hip hop to some degree

I am certainly not referring to jazz, I am no fan of jazz, but I have to admit, some of the best musicians in the world play jazz. But Hip Hop???? Like I said, whether you enjoy it or not, it is just not music, only noise. The same cannot be said about jazz.

Maybe you need to ask yourself the question Why? I used to be responsible for recruitment in my last job and initially had a thing about men who wore white socks, or had their trousers at what is known as "half mast", but quickly learned that this was my irrational prejudice and had nothing to do with the wearer of the garments. Okay, so they were not going to be the fashion icons of the Company, but hey they were supposed to be either administrators, security personnel, IT people, chefs and so on. I must admit I still have a thing about men shopping in Tesco Lotus or Big C without a top, but mainly from a hygiene point of view, but then again, I ask myself would I still have the same prejudice if it was a nice young Lady?clap2.gif