Hip replacement

northernjohn

Complete replacement of the left hip ball with additional remedial spot surgery to relieve pressure from avascular necrosis in the socket: 220K baht total at Rajavez last November.

Dr. Choksupan was thoroughly professional, and I had no complaints with anything that happened.

They don't dote on you once you're past the first month review.

If you want rehab services, etc., that's up to you.

OK

Here are the results. sorry about not posting this earlier.

Mods feel free to let people call me what they will. I have been very negligent.

I had the ball replaced at an all in cost of 183,000 baht. I had a card that gave me 10% off on the room and drugs. Saved me 2,000 baht. The room was a private room 1,200 baht a day for it. 400 baht a day for hospital services and 200 baht a day for the food. It was actually pretty good food. Defiantly worth it as compared to the cost of outside food and the inconvenience of others.

I had the operation on Sept 13. They gave me a spinal block and then put me to sleep. Half way through I woke up and could feel absolutely nothing but I could hear them sawing the bone. I looked at my vitals and wished I could have them all the time My heart was going from 60 an athletes to 76 recommended normal. Blood pressure was the same as when awake. I went back to sleep and woke up one more time and could hear them banging it into place. Vitals the same.

I was glad that I had them put me to sleep. I could feel nothing from the hips down but the second time I woke up I was very uncomfortable from the hips up due to the position I was lying in. I stayed in bed until the next day as it was about 6:00 or 7:00 when I could move my legs again.

My choice I stayed in the hospital three more days. They gave me some exercises to do. They were far easier than the ones I had been doing prior to the operation in an effort to get out of it. While in the hospital I used a walker. As soon as I got home I went to a cane.

The trick was to not listen to the people who told me how quick they recovered. My Doctor was Dr Chanakarn Phornphutkul. He explained to me that it involved the muscle the bone and metal. All three must take time to knit together. So yes you might be able to do many things but it is not helping them join as a single unit. To do that it takes about three months. At day 13 he took the staples out and said no more than 400 meters. I could do a lot more but it was not helping the healing process.

At 6 weeks I went back to see him because it felt like a lump was developing there and I was still aware that the hip was not like it had been. He took an X ray and said it was OK. He then asked me if I had been taking my pill every day. I said what pill. He told me and I said I thought it was only for pain as both he and Dr Sudhee Sudasna at Ram who I had seen for a second opinion. He is a fount of knowledge but is semi retired and does not do much surgery any more. At any rate they had both prescribed it.

Doctor Chanakarn then explained that it also helped the muscle bind with the bone and the metal. I had to take two more pills three times a day for a week and then twice a day for a week along with that pill. It is now all OK. I am still aware of it but not in a painful way. I am starting to be able to walk up steps normally again where as before it had to always be my right foot first.

Forgot to mention it was done at Rajavej Hospital

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 1

Since I have a captive audience here, how did your hip problem manifest itself at first? All of a sudden?

Reason, I have been walking, not running every day 4 km, no problem ever. Then all of a sudden, strong pain seemingly coming from the femoral almost causing to give way , during the day stronger pain coming from the hip. Controlled with 2 Votaren 100 RS , next day hardly anything, but still there.No, did not fall, no injury otherwise.

1. can hip pain come out of the blue or is there a build up?

2. I´m not a hypochondria , don´t wont to run to the doc...yet. Want to observe.

What painkillers did you take?

I can not really say. My pain manuifested itself when I would stand up from a seat. That was a rapid development. It was agonizing. I quickly learned to put both feet together and use my arms no problem then.

To be honest I think I had it for years but no pain. I just never gave it a second thought but when ever I would get in a tuck tuck I had to put my right foot in first, That is going back years. Getting in a car or any other vehicle. I had developed the habit of walking up steps right foot first. Other than that there was never a problem. When the pain came it came fast. in 6 months I was having problems walking with it. I have a high pain tolerance and have never really used much pain killer so 800mg of Ibuprofen every so often would get me through it. The day came when I knew ir was a loosing cause. Rather than go to stronger pain relievers I had a new one put in.

Smartest move I made in 2013.

The story dosen't end there I had X rays taken and even I could see it was worse in my right hip. It just didn't hurt there and it still dosen't.

NorthernJohn =

The trick was to not listen to the people who told me how quick they recovered. My Doctor was Dr Chanakarn Phornphutkul. He explained to me that it involved the muscle the bone and metal. All three must take time to knit together. So yes you might be able to do many things but it is not helping them join as a single unit. To do that it takes about three months. At day 13 he took the staples out and said no more than 400 meters. I could do a lot more but it was not helping the healing process.

Unquote

3 Months recovery makes all the sense in the world. But 3 month of hardly any leg muscle use is also not helpful for the rehab, leads to more atrophy. Given the restrictions cause by pain what exercise are good before the operation. When could you climb stairs?

NorthernJohn =

Unquote

3 Months recovery makes all the sense in the world. But 3 month of hardly any leg muscle use is also not helpful for the rehab, leads to more atrophy. Given the restrictions cause by pain what exercise are good before the operation. When could you climb stairs?

Sorry to not be more clear. At day 13 he allowed 400 meters but it is a progressive thing and each day would allow a little more until the 3 month period had been reached. Even doing very little walking would not be a big deal it would just weaken the muscle and you could build that back up. the main thing is to get the three materials to join as a unit.

As for exercises they were designed more to allow a wider movement in the joint.

I am the wrong one to talk to about walking up steps normally as long before the hip went my knee was acting up and the Doctor has advised replacement of it also as I had previously had arthroscopic surgery to clean it up and it had worked very well for ten years. Even now I use a cane because of that and it is a matter of coordination you would not be faced with if you didn't use a cane. It is a years long habit to break and I still feel the increase in the knee pain. At my age it is OK to use the cane I don't have to impress any one except myself. If I forget the cane which I will occasionally do now it is OK for a short distance. Also if the wife see's me forgetting it she reminds me.

don't know if any one else can relate to it but she is a snitch if she sees me doing some thing or eating some thing I shouldn't Like sugar she tells the Doctor.

........................if she sees me doing some thing or eating some thing I shouldn't Like sugar she tells the Doctor..................unquote

isn´t the saying = a good wife keeps the doctor away?

No It is saying she is a snitch. I trust my doctor I just don't want her to know every thing I eat. As long as the blood work comnes back I am OK.

• 5 years later...

Can I ask if anyone knows where you can rent or purchase some of the post operation devices for your home, Raised Toilet seats, Support arms or foldable braces for toilet area to stand up and sit down, Walkers and maybe even a tripod or extension to assist with pulling oneself out of bed ? Thank you for any advice or knowledge of places to rent or purchase? 

Jerry < Phone number removed, please use PM function to contact >

Edited by metisdead
18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures.