New rules for extensions of stay with expiring passport

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

border crossers (like me) will be affected

as it happens. my paspoort expires 5 days before the "normal"extension next year.

I was planning to get a new passport in order NOT to be send back from laos (6 months rule on valid passport expire date)

Reading what I read now is not really what i had in mind.

getting a new passport and transfer the stamps ( need a regular trip to Laos)

Now I think I wait until my date is due next year and forget my Lao bound trips

And what happens to the dependents on our extension.... if you change they change 2 right?

Thanks for Sharing-Mario!!

I am in this position and I renewed my extension in July and normally I get stamped up until August when it is officially due.

This is at the Nakhon Sawan office. She told me that when my passport is replaced she will just transfer it across.

I will renew it sometime in November but when I go for a 90 day report I will ask again.

My passport expires next May so I will renew it in November.

Edited by billd766

Please clarify this.

For example for a retirement extension when applying with the new passport, does that mean a completely new fresh application including needing to financially qualify a second time, to the point of money seasoning for a 800K based application?

When your new passport is issued then the old one is in effect canceled and canceling your extension to stay now. How do you avoid the fine/overstay?

Nope.

The extensions in your old passport are still valid.

Immigration will transfer them to you new passport.

• Like 1

Please clarify this.

For example for a retirement extension when applying with the new passport, does that mean a completely new fresh application including needing to financially qualify a second time, to the point of money seasoning for a 800K based application?

Yes

Please clarify this.

Yes

Thanks.

(crying.gif Bummer!crying.gif )

Please clarify this.

Of coarse, they are not going to give you any break.

I'm a bit confused about this. Let's say your passport has 13 months left when you apply for your extension so you receive the extension. If you decide to renew your passport early and just after the extension has been given you can not transfer the extension to the new passport?

My case the passport expires in Feb 2015, I will get my annual extension of Sept. 30 2013 (next month). If I go to get a new passport in October or a few months later than what happens to my extension?

Edited by Tywais
Oops, wrong year for my extension - corrected
  • Like 2

Sure glad I made the decision to renew my passport 9 months early last month before getting my extension on the 14th of this month.

The time lost on passport equals in cost (about $6) to a lot less than 1900 baht and $50 for a new income affidavit.

I'm a bit confused about this.  Let's say your passport has 13 months left when you apply for your extension so you receive the extension.  If you decide to renew your passport early and just after the extension has been given you can not transfer the extension to the new passport?

My case the passport expires in Feb 2015, I will get my annual extension of Sept. 30 2014.  If I go to get a new passport in October or a few months later than what happens to my extension?

It seems to me you could still transfer extension. I don't think that has changed.

When your new passport is issued then the old one is in effect canceled and canceling your extension to stay now. How do you avoid the fine/overstay?

Nope.

The extensions in your old passport are still valid.

Immigration will transfer them to you new passport.

1. The extensions in your old passport are still valid. (I Hope so!)

2. Immigration will transfer them to you new passport. ( Incorrect immigration says you must re-apply for Visa Extension. For reference see the link to immigration website in the first message)

Normally the visa stamp is transferred into the new passport, To me this would seem to imply that you can avoid having to reapply by renewing your passport well in advance of its expiry so as to avoid the issue of it expiring before your stamp does. I do not take it to mean that if you do renew your passport well before then you start all over again.

So for example: Your passport expires in June of 2015 but your visa is renewed annually in December. If you get your new passport in June of 2014 then you avoid having the problem of your visa expiring when your passport does.

• Like 1

Tyswas

Take the new passport to immigration. They will transfer the extension to the new passport.

Immigration says,

After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ).

I am at immigration, they said "No more transfer!"

No lost time on UK.passports. If renewed a few months early the time remaining is "credited" to the new passport .smile.png

Correct, I renewed my passport in February 2009, but the new one is valid until November 2019, so there is no reason for any British person not to calculate the best possible time to replace their passport.

Good to know... So guess will need to apply for new passport so that will get the new one within the 30 day window of when planning to do your extension...

So if passport expires Jan of 2017 and extensions are normally done in June... Then would need to get new passport beginning of June 2016 ... So apply for new passport around mid May 2016

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Tyswas

Take the new passport to immigration. They will transfer the extension to the new passport.

Immigration says,

After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ).

I am at immigration, they said "No more transfer!"

That's the part, quoted above, that confuses and worries me.

• Like 2

I wonder how many more years it will take until they come up with long term lasting straight forward and sensibly thought through, as well as for all immigration offices standardised visa regulations without implementing new ones every few month.

The common practice to change the rules every time a bureaucrat comes up with an idea how to increase the revenue from visas has to stop as it will not be compatible with countries more developed and responsible in this matter.

I hope this will end when ASEAN applies! But then again,- TIT.

This the first rule change in many years. The way each immigration office applies these rules is another matter entirely.

That would mean applying for a new passport about 11 months early in my case.

Thanks for the early warning Mario.

I would need to renew 10 months early, but my current extension of permission only runs until late September and UK Passport issuence currently runs on a 6 week lead time, so I guess I will have to live with a 10 month extension this time, then apply for a new passport say 8-10 weeks before its expiry.

As has already been pointed out, the UK Passport Authority gives you a certain amount of 1:1 time credit when you re-apply early.

So as of now, if one has less then a year's validity on one's passport from the date of a new intended one year extension, then a fresh passport application made say 8 weeks in advance of the extension application would be the way to go.

I was well aware of this fact that it will happen sooner or the later. I have been lucky to have my passport extended before this rule came out. Being informative is always rewarding indeed.

Thanks for sharing your expertise in time!

I could have mentioned this on this forum as a early warning. But then its against the rules and policies of Immigration as well as this forum. Secondly in case of non-existence of the said rule would have back fire my credibility on this forum. I hope you can understand my point.

I was well aware of this fact that it will happen sooner or the later. I have been lucky to have my passport extended before this rule came out. Being informative is always rewarding indeed.

Thanks for sharing your expertise in time!

I could have mentioned this on this forum as a early warning. But then its against the rules and policies of Immigration as well as this forum. Secondly in case of non-existence of the said rule would have back fire my credibility on this forum. I hope you can understand my point.

These things can always be presented as a possibility as we all know nothing here is concrete until it is published in the Police rule book