New rules for extensions of stay with expiring passport

From what I read, and from what "gosompoi" said - Immigration is quite clearly saying "NO MORE TRANSFERS" - meaning that you CAN NOT credit any extension time from the OLD passport to the NEW passport.

They clearly say that you must apply all over again but using the new passport.

Very clear - not good - but clear!

I believe, that's ONLY if you have less than a year remaining on your passport when you go to apply for an extension of stay.

If you have more than a year remaining on your passport when you apply for your extension of stay, it's not a problem to get the extension stamp later transferred into a new passport.

So the message is.... always make sure you have at least 12 months remaining on your passport before applying for a new extension of stay. And if you won't have 12 months based on your personal calendar of dates, then get a new passport first.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many more years it will take until they come up with long term lasting straight forward and sensibly thought through, as well as for all immigration offices standardised visa regulations without implementing new ones every few month.

The common practice to change the rules every time a bureaucrat comes up with an idea how to increase the revenue from visas has to stop as it will not be compatible with countries more developed and responsible in this matter.

I hope this will end when ASEAN applies! But then again,- TIT.

ASEAN will have a big impact on many facets of how business is conducted here. Non-compliance with ASEAN rules can result in monetary fines, up to suspension of membership. It will remain to be seen how the Thai government receives this. There is big money and prestige involved and they don't want to be left out. As the Borg on Star Trek say, "Resistance is futile".

I wonder how many more years it will take until they come up with long term lasting straight forward and sensibly thought through, as well as for all immigration offices standardised visa regulations without implementing new ones every few month.

The common practice to change the rules every time a bureaucrat comes up with an idea how to increase the revenue from visas has to stop as it will not be compatible with countries more developed and responsible in this matter.

I hope this will end when ASEAN applies! But then again,- TIT.

If what gosompoi is saying is correct, they have yet again found a way to jerk us around.

When will it end....never.

It will end when another country near Thailand opens up their country to foreigners and makes visas easier to live with. I believe that will create a vacuum into that country pulling the foreigners out of Thailand.

"When will it end....never. It will end when another country near Thailand opens up their country to foreigners and makes visas easier to live with. I believe that will create a vacuum into that country pulling the foreigners out of Thailand."

Well, it'll pull out some of the chronic complainers, maybe. Thailand's gain and to-be-named country's increased noise pollution.

Interesting. So what is so special about Thailand that say Vietnam couldn't replace?

As explained above, no, the issuance of a new passport does not cancel an otherwise valid, ongoing extension of stay.

And while I can't speak for all Immigration offices, the Bangkok Immigration office does extension of stay stamp transfers into new passports for no charge. I had mine done there two months ago.

"I had mine done there two months ago."

Yes, but two months ago was before the new regulation was issued. (In opening post):"According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013 ..."

Yes, but the new regulation only seems to pertain to people seeking extensions of stay with LESS than 12 months remaining on their soon-to-expire passports.

There's no indication Immigration is changing anything about transferring regular full-year, 12-month extension stamps into new passports, or requiring new financial documentation in those situations.

I will get my extension stamp tomorrow. Passport expires April 2014. Extension stamp should be there until end of July 2014.

Can I be with expired passport in Thailand for couple months if I don't need it in Thailand? I have valid permit to stay in Thailand. I will get a new passport just before the permit ends.

When your new passport is issued then the old one is in effect canceled and canceling your extension to stay now. How do you avoid the fine/overstay?

It amazes me, every time, how dim people are. The above question is a classic example of not bothering to read the relevant information, which was;

The new policy means that now when you get a new passport because the old one has expired you have to apply for a new extension of stay, with all the accompanying paperwork and of course pay the usual extension fee of 1,900 baht.

Put simply:- old passport about to expire, therefore apply beforehand for an extension of stay, thus avoiding over stay charge. However, to avoid extension of stay fee...

...anyone holding this visa needs to renew their passport while it still has at least 13 or 14 months validity. Usually the Homeland Embassy will compound any remaining time with the subsequent 10 years validity of a new passport.

But this is Thailand, so check Immigration for any opinion relating to the new passport number not matching the one on record and held against the existing visa. It should be ok as you have a legal passport in your name and with at least 10 years before expiry, as per Thai Immigration rules.

Well sure , changing the rules again and naturally me staying in the middle of it . I had information asked on this forum earlier and given the answers and the officer last month confirming the same . My extension will be stamped until my passport expires may 2014 , no problem , when getting new passport we transfer the extension and change the date to the regular one ....I was thinking to get my new passport in December , now I think I've to wait till at least March , loosing a couple of months .....keeping 400k 2months....and actually not able all year to drop under the 400k , which can be a problem on itself .....

So I wonder , can I wait until May before making a new appointment ?

And , if already having a new passport , do they require you to transfer it immediately or not , if yes rather difficult to make an appointment as I normally do ,

and what with your visa status , the embassy takes a few holes in it when they give out a new one , any problems with that regarding waiting a new extension till the old passport and extension date expires , anyone ?

questions questions .....Sept 2nd I'll go to get my new extension stamp approval till guess may 2014 ..........

Edited by tijnebijn

As explained above, no, the issuance of a new passport does not cancel an otherwise valid, ongoing extension of stay.

And while I can't speak for all Immigration offices, the Bangkok Immigration office does extension of stay stamp transfers into new passports for no charge. I had mine done there two months ago.

"I had mine done there two months ago."

Yes, but two months ago was before the new regulation was issued. (In opening post):"According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013 ..."

Yes, but the new regulation only seems to pertain to people seeking extensions of stay with LESS than 12 months remaining on their soon-to-expire passports.

There's no indication Immigration is changing anything about transferring regular full-year, 12-month extension stamps into new passports, or requiring new financial documentation in those situations.

Yes, I agree (see my post #63 above) that would be my expectation too, but since the regulation was made after you did your transfer, your experience two months ago may or may not still be the case now ... especially as different offices interpret the new regulation in their own ways.

Edited by Suradit69

I will get my extension stamp tomorrow. Passport expires April 2014. Extension stamp should be there until end of July 2014.

Can I be with expired passport in Thailand for couple months if I don't need it in Thailand? I have valid permit to stay in Thailand. I will get a new passport just before the permit ends.

It sounds like your situation is exactly the kind that the new rule is aimed at.

As I understand it, Immigration at this point won't issue an extension of stay that's valid any longer than the duration of your current passport, meaning April 2014.

Then, when you obtain a new passport sometime prior to April 2014 and you need to apply for a new extension of stay because your current one would have that same April expiry date, Immigration would be looking to charge you the 1900 baht fee again and require financial documentation.

You can't legally stay in Thailand with an expired passport. And Immigration won't issue you a new extension of stay tomorrow that's valid any longer than the current expiry date of your current passport.

I answer this to myself. There is no problem for making a new passport at my country's Embassy in Thailand even the passport is expired. Valid other id is enough and photo. But in Thailand you need a valid passport for the case if police or someone stops you and need a valid identification. That is very unlike thing to happen but if I have a valid permit stamp on the old passport, I guess I am not illegally here. I just don't have valid passport. I do have Thai driving license.

No lost time on UK.passports. If renewed a few months early the time remaining is "credited" to the new passport .smile.png

Citation please? Is this a new thing?

I'm on my 4th and usually renew mine because they're full, not because they're anywhere near expiry. The latest one expires exactly 10 years after it's date of issue (2008-2018), as did the one before that (2002-2012) and the one before that (1995-2005)...

A tip: You can remove stuck in used visas that take up whole pages to give yourself more empty pages. Immigration in Cambodia did this for me before. Once used they do not need to remain in the passport if they no longer have any relevance. Some are easy to peel off.

No lost time on UK.passports. If renewed a few months early the time remaining is "credited" to the new passport .smile.png

I'm on my 4th and usually renew mine because they're full, not because they're anywhere near expiry. The latest one expires exactly 10 years after it's date of issue (2008-2018), as did the one before that (2002-2012) and the one before that (1995-2005)...

A tip: You can remove stuck in used visas that take up whole pages to give yourself more empty pages. Immigration in Cambodia did this for me before. Once used they do not need to remain in the passport if they no longer have any relevance. Some are easy to peel off.

Passport tampering is a serious offence and best avoided.

If you apply for a 1 year extension of stay and your passport is only valid for 8 months, you will get an extension of stay for 8 months. Before those 8 months are finished, you need to get a new passport and when you have that apply for a new extension of stay, with all required paperwork. You then get a new 1 year extension of stay.

So apply on January 1 for a 1 year extension of stay with a passport that is valid till 1 September, you only get an extension of stay till 1 September. Before 1 September you go with your new passport to immigration and apply for a new 1 year extension of stay for 1,900 baht and all necesarry papperwork.

If you go after 1 september, you are on overstay at 500 baht a day with a maximum of 20,000 baht.

Is this true? There is only information about the "no transfer" from old to the new passport. That does not mean you are in Thailand illegally. If your old passport has a stamp for 12 months you should have permission to stay in Thailand that time.

Passport is just a identification from your country. It should not play part about your valid period of stay, if it is already admitted to certain period.

Or does that 500 baht / day go for the expired passports also or just the visa extension expiration?

Well sure , changing the rules again and naturally me staying in the middle of it . I had information asked on this forum earlier and given the answers and the officer last month confirming the same . My extension will be stamped until my passport expires may 2014 , no problem , when getting new passport we transfer the extension and change the date to the regular one ....I was thinking to get my new passport in December , now I think I've to wait till at least March , loosing a couple of months .....keeping 400k 2months....and actually not able all year to drop under the 400k , which can be a problem on itself .....

So I wonder , can I wait until May before making a new appointment ?

And , if already having a new passport , do they require you to transfer it immediately or not , if yes rather difficult to make an appointment as I normally do ,

and what with your visa status , the embassy takes a few holes in it when they give out a new one , any problems with that regarding waiting a new extension till the old passport and extension date expires , anyone ?

questions questions .....Sept 2nd I'll go to get my new extension stamp approval till guess may 2014 ..........

In your case, it sounds like your marriage extension of stay for this year will end up having the same expiry date as your current passport, being May 2014.

If you obtain your new passport sometime before May 2014, the extension of stay stamp in your old passport will remain valid until both the extension and your passport expire in May 2014.

If you apply for the new extension this Sept 2 and receive it, it will be issued with less than 12 months remaining validity on your passport. Thus you'd appear to fall under the new Immigration rule, and will have to pay the new 1900 baht fee and show financial documention when you seek a new 12-month extension of stay for your new passport.

• Like 1

Passport tampering is a serious offence and best avoided.

Indeed, this can bring you in serious trouble. I would not have let them remove the visa stickers. Any immigration officier at any country will not like this and at least question you about this. Many countries will at least deny you entry and deport you.

More money for the Thai government but this can be avoided by planning a new Passport well in advance, some Passports allow an additional six months validity in the new Passport if applying before the expiry date of the old one like I did due to it being full of immigration stamps but still valid for a long time.

If you apply for a 1 year extension of stay and your passport is only valid for 8 months, you will get an extension of stay for 8 months. Before those 8 months are finished, you need to get a new passport and when you have that apply for a new extension of stay, with all required paperwork. You then get a new 1 year extension of stay.

So apply on January 1 for a 1 year extension of stay with a passport that is valid till 1 September, you only get an extension of stay till 1 September. Before 1 September you go with your new passport to immigration and apply for a new 1 year extension of stay for 1,900 baht and all necesarry papperwork.

If you go after 1 september, you are on overstay at 500 baht a day with a maximum of 20,000 baht.

Is this true? There is only information about the "no transfer" from old to the new passport. That does not mean you are in Thailand illegally. If your old passport has a stamp for 12 months you should have permission to stay in Thailand that time.

Passport is just a identification from your country. It should not play part about your valid period of stay, if it is already admitted to certain period.

Or does that 500 baht / day go for the expired passports also or just the visa extension expiration?

You can't legally stay in Thailand beyond the expiry date of whatever current passport you're holding.

Read again.

You only get an extension of stay till your passport expires. You do not get a validity of 12 months in an old paspsort if that passport is not valid for 12 months.

• Like 1

"If your old passport has a stamp for 12 months you should have permission to stay in Thailand that time. "

Yes, but unless the Immigrations officer made a mistake when giving you the extension, you won't have an extension of stay past the expiration of your passport.

Translation into simple English: Another way to get a little bit more out of a visa for the Government. Most passports will expire in 5 years, hence every 5 years each and every expat will be confronted with this and still pay the full amount for a shorter visa.

Not if one is proactive and ensues timely renewal of a passport which is nearing expiry !

• Like 2

THat's what I am wondering how illogical would it be for me to re apply, just got my yearly extension last april so good till april 2014, passport is valid till december 2014, yet october 2013 I'm getting a new one. It would make no sense at all for me to have to re apply since extension is valid till april 2014, in November 2013 when I wil get my new passport I expect a transfer, and not having to re apply !!

Good to know... So guess will need to apply for new passport so that will get the new one within the 30 day window of when planning to do your extension...

So if passport expires Jan of 2017 and extensions are normally done in June... Then would need to get new passport beginning of June 2016 ... So apply for new passport around mid May 2016

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

If I am understanding this all correctly, even if you renew your passport way before its expiry date, that effectively cancels the old passport which makes the existing extension invalid. Unless you can time the renewal of the passport to close to the exact date that you go for an extension of your visa, then there's going to be some time frame during which you are actually here illegally...unless of course you re-apply for the extension, pay the 1900 baht and jump through all the hoops when you receive your new passport. Is it worth the risk that someone in authority might ask to see your passport during that time and realize that you are not in compliance with the law?

Mario

Thanks for the "heads up"

Easily avoided by renewing a passport nearing its expiry date in good time. xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

And that's all very well too 'when a new passport costs more than $300.00'

I am not sure about the point you are making.

A valid passport is an absolute requirement when living outside your home country.

• Like 1