Growing Tomatoes in Thailand

kjun12

We had tried, here in the Somkhok area of Pathumthani for more than 10 years. Vatious soils, fertilizesr, seeds, etc. No luck at all. Three years running, on land in the Wang Muang area, we had very good tomatoes. And a great supply. Native soil, cow manure and straw around the base of the staked plants. Watered at the base at least once a week if not enough rain. 1" per week in early morning or late evening.

Seedlings in the ground in late September or early October. I hope to get a decent crop this year. We pick only vine ripe and give away what we cannot use. I think the picture is from 2009 or 2010. The tomato weighed 600 grams and was excellent eating.

2011 the flood ate my seedlings and 2012 a medical problem kept me from taking proper care. Still got suitable, eating tomatoes last year but nothing to brag about..

I have had problems with some imported seeds. The variety has not made any difference. Beefsteak, BetterBoy, etc. Normally large slicing tomatoes are my choice. Problems.... Not germinating. Not setting fruit. Stunted plants. I attribute it to possible strong Xray of the seeds when they are enroute. No matter in a ladies purse or a guys pockets. Same problems with pepper seeds. Best luck has been with seeds mailed in.

I had 7 packets of seeds mailed 3 months ago, still waitingcoffee1.gif

Seeds from where ? Dont know about seeds from UK., but tomato seeds from Australia grow on Samui, i have got some more on the way. Grosse Lisse and Black Russian.

• 5 years later...
On 8/27/2013 at 4:38 PM, loong said:

Tomatoes are difficult to grow in Thailand.

In high temperatures toms will not set fruit.

Do not grow in full sun.

If in pots, the pots need to be large and shaded from the sun.

Water only at the base of the plant.

Cherry types are easier to grow.

High temp ?  If that is correct then why is one of the main farm crops in tropical North Queensland Tomatoes. These crops are grown in open fields.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2013 at 1:05 AM, rice555 said:

Hello All, I'm now slowly getting some tom's to eat, started getting black cherry's

a week ago and some others are starting to ripen.

post-37242-0-47789000-1387476059_thumb.j

post-37242-0-67508200-1387476108_thumb.j

post-37242-0-97868400-1387476132_thumb.j

post-37242-0-76818900-1387476257_thumb.j

post-37242-0-58864700-1387476296_thumb.j

post-37242-0-35187900-1387476319_thumb.j

Why do people post pics like this but forget or decline to say where they are in Thailand.

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2019 at 3:57 PM, Huckenfell said:

Why do people post pics like this but forget or decline to say where they are in Thailand.

I've lived in Korat almost 20 years now. only on TV since 06. Will be transplanting Homestead and

Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye, both OP's and Margherita VF Hyb. The Pink and the Hyb. are from TGS in FL. and the Homestead from Sustainable Seed Co. in CA.

rice555

most of my tom growing are in hydroponic threads here in the main FF.

Edited by rice555
edit
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2019 at 2:58 AM, gk10002000 said:

How is the pollination in Thailand?  In the USA pretty much I assume is done by Bees albeit with a little help from a few other insects buzzing around between plants. 

Sorry for the late reply, I just shake the plants when blossoming and rely on bugs.

If it's HOT-HOT with high humidity, I use a small paint brush. One for each verity of

tom. 

I'm transplanting my tom's now, running late as normal. The Hyb. has blossoms and the 2 OP's are not showing yet.

My X sends me the seeds I order from the U$. I've had only one package of seed in

last 19 years have any problem arriving here by USPS(not FedX or the like), I did get most of the seed from that one package, except some OG bean seed, had bugs in them.

Need to get back outside and fill more grow bags of coir, got tom's and chilies to transplant!

rice555

I've had limited success here in Noen Maprang district of Phitsanulok province.  The cherry tomatoes seem to like the climate more than the Grosse Lise....which are from Australia seeds I brought in myself.  But still not getting the big bunch of cherry tomatoes, 5 to 7 is about it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2014 at 10:16 PM, khunkeith said:

It's not the heat, it's the intensity of the sun that can kill western tomatoes. Mine have been doing great. well, until about a week ago as we approach the vernal equinox. The sun is getting more intense day by day and my plants are suffering greatly. I have 17 big boy and beefsteak tomato plants grown with seeds from the US. I learned my lesson though, I removed the shading when they started producing fruit and have had a bumper crop. But, about 2 weeks ago, they showed signs of stress (I guess from the sun) and are dying. next time, I will replace the covering shade mid February and see if I can keep them producing longer.

Good morning , this my help you guys understand a little about the light requirements of a tomato plant its an old post in the original hydroponic section on here , which has enormous amounts of information in it and I believe should have been a pinned topic instead of combining aquaponics with it.

Light and the Humble Tomato Plant

By Scoop1, January 15, 2014 in Farming in Thailand Forum

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:48 AM, rice555 said:

I've lived in Korat almost 20 years now. only on TV since 06. Will be transplanting Homestead and

Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye, both OP's and Margherita VF Hyb. The Pink and the Hyb. are from TGS in FL. and the Homestead from Sustainable Seed Co. in CA.

rice555

most of my tom growing are in hydroponic threads here in the main FF.

Hi Rice , hope you are well , and looks like your toms are doing very nicely

On 5/30/2014 at 12:28 PM, oldsailor35 said:

Seeds from where ? Dont know about seeds from UK., but tomato seeds from Australia grow on Samui, i have got some more on the way. Grosse Lisse and Black Russian.

I get seeds from tomatoes I've eaten, about 100 seeds inside every one.

Germinate in a plastic bag between folded damp tissue paper.

Plant in pots once the roots have appeared.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scoop1 said:

Good morning , this my help you guys understand a little about the light requirements of a tomato plant its an old post in the original hydroponic section on here , which has enormous amounts of information in it and I believe should have been a pinned topic instead of combining aquaponics with it.

Light and the Humble Tomato Plant

By Scoop1, January 15, 2014 in Farming in Thailand Forum

Sorry , this might work

Posted January 15, 2014

Cheers

Scoop1

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All, some pic's of my toms over the past few days, still need to

move them out in the full sun and stake them up better. Seed is from,

TGS in FL.  Used TGS for the past 19 years here in Korat.

Also visiting tom is his little sister, Early Jal.

rice555 

Mar Hyb..png

PBTD.png

PBYD 3 .png

Mar Hyb TGS.png

PBTD2.png

Jal M ?.png

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, Grumpy John said:

Thanks for posting that link.  It solves the problem of why my Gross Lisse are never any good!  Now to make a frame for shade cloth to block off some that hot hot sun around the middle of the day.

Hi Grumpy John , I mostly grow Grosse Lisse , but just make sure you get the correct shading for an example if you get 50% shade cloth , you will only get that level of shading if it is black or dark green , beige and white will only give you about 35% and if you get 30% shade cloth the same rule applies .

Cheers

Scoop

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:58 AM, gk10002000 said:

How is the pollination in Thailand?  In the USA pretty much I assume is done by Bees albeit with a little help from a few other insects buzzing around between plants. 

Good morning gk , a cheap battery operated tooth brush is an excellent pollinator

Cheers

Scoop

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scoop1 said:

Good morning gk , a cheap battery operated tooth brush is an excellent pollinator

Cheers

Scoop

Hello All, you can shake the supportt stake if staked, or hit the vine

twine if supported like Ind. tom's in greenhouses with twine and clips.

rice555

On 12/22/2019 at 7:18 AM, Scoop1 said:

Hi Grumpy John , I mostly grow Grosse Lisse , but just make sure you get the correct shading for an example if you get 50% shade cloth , you will only get that level of shading if it is black or dark green , beige and white will only give you about 35% and if you get 30% shade cloth the same rule applies .

Cheers

Scoop

Thanks for the advice.  I am just making the shade house today....and yesterday....and the day before....stuff to do gets prioritised!  Using an old satellite dish for the roof and some scrap steel for the legs.