Walen School of Investing - learn how to make money and have a better life!

MacWalen

Sorry let me get this right. You mean, you cover the legally required part of WP, tax, and contributions and you don't pay any salary, nor do you give food or housing allowances. For this someone may for work for you (lets say) 30 hours per week for 12 month and you will ask them for 85,360 THB in fees?

Is this correct? And your school does not return any of the profits made from these young interns, lets say, by sponsoring the eduction of some local socially disadvantaged children?

NO I think it is a good deal to exploit young people under the pretense that they may land a job with you.

We do lots of things they you do not know about and do not need to know. If they do well they may get paid and if the can sell they will also earn commission etc. Every case is treated individually. It is really none of your business how and with who we make arrangements for internship.

I am not sure about such an attitude.

I think, it is my business if a company where I could potentially invest in and which is located in the community where I live, practices some form of slave labour.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We might end up the biggest school in Thailand and with DCS perhaps the biggest one in the world in 15-25 years time. Who knows. Exciting times we live in and education is a great business if you do it right. 

I still stand...

Waiting for humility classes 555555

Edit : really feel sorry for your students. Seeing education as a great business says it all.

PS : i'm a non native English speaker teaching English

Sent from my LT25i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do you see a conflict here? Do you know how businesses work? If a business is good you take good care of your customers so they benefit more. Communism does not work. It has been proven. Why would I like to run a business that is not profitable? I would prefer to do something else. 

Yes for pure business. In my opinion education should not be considered as a business (but i know it is, not just you).

Your post brings a question (if you think a bit) :

How can a smart kid from a poor family compete with a stupid kid from a rich family in your education scheme?

Easy question, should have an easy answer.

Ps : communism does not work because humans are greedy. I'm not communist at all but still dream it could work (dreaming keeps me young)

Sent from my LT25i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If someone really knew how to make money investing in Thai capital markets, would they not just do it and earn a fortune rather than give lessons about it to others for peanuts?

Just wondering.

I have an American friend, that made 7,000,000 in the Indonesian markets 2002-2007 - he does this same gig, now in Shanghai, not so mch for the money, but for the camoradrie, and just being with people, educating them on how to make easy money.........and he gets free lunches and dinners............sorry I didn't listen to him, used to work for me.sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

Sorry let me get this right. You mean, you cover the legally required part of WP, tax, and contributions and you don't pay any salary, nor do you give food or housing allowances. For this someone may for work for you (lets say) 30 hours per week for 12 month and you will ask them for 85,360 THB in fees?

Is this correct? And your school does not return any of the profits made from these young interns, lets say, by sponsoring the eduction of some local socially disadvantaged children?

NO I think it is a good deal to exploit young people under the pretense that they may land a job with you.

We do lots of things they you do not know about and do not need to know. If they do well they may get paid and if the can sell they will also earn commission etc. Every case is treated individually. It is really none of your business how and with who we make arrangements for internship.

I am not sure about such an attitude.

I think, it is my business if a company where I could potentially invest in and which is located in the community where I live, practices some form of slave labour.

From Wikipedia, a well know fact about Warren Buffett.

In 1950, at the age of 20, Buffett had made and saved $9,800 (nearly $94,000 inflation adjusted for the 2012 USD[25]).[26] In April 1952, Buffett discovered Graham was on the board ofGEICO insurance. Taking a train to Washington, D.C. on a Saturday, he knocked on the door of GEICO's headquarters until a janitor allowed him in. There he met Lorimer Davidson, Geico's Vice President, and the two discussed the insurance business for hours. Davidson would eventually become Buffett's lifelong friend and a lasting influence[27] and later recall that he found Buffett to be an "extraordinary man" after only fifteen minutes. Buffett graduated from Columbia and wanted to work on Wall Street, however, both his father and Ben Graham urged him not to. He offered to work for Graham for free, but Graham refused.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett

It is not so very unusual to work work free to gain experience, for some interns experience in another country. They can get to do a job that otherwise would not be possible to obtain otherwise and this experience so many is very valuable. Perhaps more than their formal education.

Marakot, it is not a slave labour by any stretch of imagination. I accept that you do not like me or the Walen School but there is nothing wrong with what we do. I however respect your opinion and we need to agree to disagree. Have a great evening. The topic of this thread is investing so please do not derail it. Your cooperation is very much appreciated.

It's a course, if you are not interested why comment and give OP a lot of crap ?

For some people this could be a new start , but OP should stay in Bangkok where he will find more educated expats than in Pattaya.

If someone really knew how to make money investing in Thai capital markets, would they not just do it and earn a fortune rather than give lessons about it to others for peanuts?

Just wondering.

I have an American friend, that made 7,000,000 in the Indonesian markets 2002-2007 - he does this same gig, now in Shanghai, not so mch for the money, but for the camoradrie, and just being with people, educating them on how to make easy money.........and he gets free lunches and dinners............sorry I didn't listen to him, used to work for me.sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

By the way indonesian market seems to be very attractive now. Corrected a lot. A lot of stocks 50-100% potential of return. Even better perhaps than Thailand now.

Are you qualified to give advice and teach about investing? If so how? And because you've played the markets over the years doesn't cut it. I was a structured/risk arbitrage equity trader for an investment bank for years and I'm not sure I'd want to start teaching about it. or maybe I could come and help you wink.png lol

Just check that you can do it legally. I.e in the u.k if you are not an FSA registered representative and you give advice that causes a loss, you and the company will be sued, fined, banned etc etc.. Maybe Thailand has something similar? If you 'teach' people and they lose money as a result I'm guessing they won't be too pleased...

Thanks for joining Richie, I might definitely use your services.

I am not giving financial advice Richie, I teach how the market works, what I do with my own money. Students right from the beginning are explained the risks and also the fact that all the investment decisions they make are their own. I do not believe I would be breaking any laws in Thailand teaching people how they can participate in investing in the Thai stock market or other markets. If I was giving specific recommendations and they lost money then that would be wrong. If there was a lot of interest I would be happy to work with guys who know more about certain forms on investing or rather forms of speculation. Like option trading for example that I have never done but would like to try just for the fun of it. Or guys who know more technical aspects of trading in other markets. I am good with Thailand but i do not know much about investing in Vietnam for example. Financial markets are very exciting topics. A lot more than caring if Manchester United win with Manchester City for which I could not care less unless I was betting on any of the teams, and even then I would need a system.

" If you 'teach' people and they lose money as a result I'm guessing they won't be too pleased..."

So this is where the course starts. Before I teach how to make money I will teach how not to lose money as this is the very first rule of investing.

• Like 1

Has the OP any qualifications to substantiate being able to lecture on the subject other than a bank balance ?

I once ran into a guy in Nana Plaza early in the evening, introduced himself in a language only the ancient Northern Europeans would unastand - I said "Gaelic?? he said "No; Sco..ish, and ahm a unglish teacher here for two years now" I had to laugh, I asked "What makes you qualified to teach english, when you can't even pronounce the word properly?? he replied in perfect English.........."I flip the switch mate, and teach to the audience" don't ever judge a book by its cover, or underestimate the subject..................Thanx Walen School, I'll be contacting you on my next visit, I come to LOS three times a year, always looking to invest, tired of the Eastern Europeans offering teir schemes.

Luck to Ya my eyes are open wai.gif

• Like 1

I dont need your money. I make a lot more from selling language course all over Thailand. I do it because I like it and it may develop into a larger business. Your 2,960 Baht is a symbolic amount. If I offered it for free what what would you say?

My #1 rule of investing:

Never get free investment advice from someone claiming expertise.

If they were so good, they wouldn't do it for free!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly what you would say, would't you?

Just wondering.

By the way indonesian market seems to be very attractive now. Corrected a lot. A lot of stocks 50-100% potential of return. Even better perhaps than Thailand now.

brave man to buy now, still looks like a falling knife

I dont need your money. I make a lot more from selling language course all over Thailand. I do it because I like it and it may develop into a larger business. Your 2,960 Baht is a symbolic amount. If I offered it for free what what would you say?

My #1 rule of investing:

Never get free investment advice from someone claiming expertise.

If they were so good, they wouldn't do it for free!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly what you would say, would't you?

nonsense, some of the best ideas and advice out there are free and from some of the world's best and smartest investors. these people dont need the chicken feed these courses can provide and they have moved on from the primitive mentality where they see every second of the day as an opportunity to make more money. its the conmen and liars that big themselves up and pretend to be gurus and get a bunch of poor naive suckers to pay up.

• Like 2

Just wondering.

brave man to buy now, still looks like a falling knife

Sure, hard to know, but 20% down is a good margin of safety. Even Thai pension funds are buying. Read bloomberg today. Mr Market is crazy, it is possible that stock market can also go up 10% in one week. That is why you need to make your own investing decisions. I invested some of Walen school's money and I am confident it will make profit given 1-3 years horizon, maybe as much as 20-50%, hard to know, time will show. Some insight into my investing decisions recently in the attached file. Last year I made over 20 million Baht profit in SET. What I know is worth your 2,960 Baht. Not even 100 bucks. If somebody manages billions of dollars be sure they will not give you one day seminar for this amount. I also do not claim to be a big fish but I am at a level where general public can relate to. Operating within a few million dollars.

post-46756-0-32572100-1377700610_thumb.p

Edited by MacWalen

Last year I made over 20 million Baht profit in SET

Is that all, thought you were the expert, obvious you dont know shit from wild honey.

Tell you what why not pop over to the investemnt forum where the real experts like Dr Naam etc hang out, maybe you can compare notes with guys like him and others who dont need to crow about what they made.

Some do it, others talk about doing it, one day the penny will drop.

Pay $100 for a ,being bored to death by powerpoint presentation, no thanks, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king, Le roi est mort, vive le roi, the king is dead long live the king.

Please salute TVs latest financial guru.

• Like 1

"Sure, hard to know, but 20% down is a good margin of safety. Even Thai pension funds are buying. Read bloomberg today. Mr Market is crazy, it is possible that stock market can also go up 10% in one week. That is why you need to make your own investing decisions. I invested some of Walen school's money and I am confident it will make profit given 1-3 years horizon, maybe as much as 20-50%, hard to know, time will show. Some insight into my investing decisions recently in the attached file. Last year I made over 20 million Baht profit in SET. What I know is worth your 2,960 Baht. Not even 100 bucks. If somebody manages billions of dollars be sure they will not give you one day seminar for this amount. I also do not claim to be a big fish but I am at a level where general public can relate to. Operating within a few million dollars. "

i won't comment on what you say you made...its just so crude, boorish and childish to make such statements and suggests you really don't get this investment thing at all...an intelligent person just wouldn't say things like that whether they made one 1-million or 100-billion.

as for the rest, even after a 20% decline indonesia is still poor value. it isnt a question of how far it has gone down, its a question of how much further it can fall versus how much it can rise and how that ratio compares to other investments. the fact that you put it as you do tells me you don't know much at all, if anything. maybe the thing you have, the only thing, is ego. if you want to demonstrate some ability then answer the questions i posted earlier and i will review your predictions as time unfolds.

as for 2960 baht, no, what you know isn't worth that to me because i dont think you know much. i know you think you do, that is obvious. but what you know isnt even worth zero. in fact, you would need to pay me to attend because you would be using my time.

i hope posters reading all this will have the common sense to see you for what you are and that nobody is stupid enough to pay your baht 2960.

• Like 1

I hear you guys. All so borring and childish. I actually dont give a penny about your negative opinions about me. I do what I do and great many will be interested. I love you too guys.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I must confess that when I first read the topic l thought straight away, is this about another venture by the OP to make money from farangs, which the OP's business is based on. Why this venture?. Well the obvious down turn in farang money is taking a hit with many and so giving hope for 3000 bht ''might'' be worth the outlay and easy money for the OP. Just my thoughts.

Promise, I'll go to bed after this...

This means nothing. How much did you put in to get those 20 millions. If you did it with 10 baht, you are an expert-superstar. If you did it with 800 millions, it's only a 2 per cent, easy to achieve...

Either you say too much or not enough... Good communicator, for the rest, I'll wait until I can meet you.

Just wondering.

+ 1

These +1 posts really gets to me, sometimes you will see many +1 posts on a thread. They add absolutely nothing to the conversation and just adds to the content I need to download on my slow mobile connection. ThaiVisa already has a like button for posts, if liking posts are your thing. I know this post might be a bit hypocritical since I add nothing to the conversation as well.

• Like 1

What you say about those investors who lost heavily in the Nikkei is debatable. There were also some institutional investors have lost out big time.

But correct me if I am wrong but your strategy seems to be based on the philosophy of “ buy and hold “ ?

I put it to you that the miraculous gains we have seen in stock markets over the past few years can largely be attributed to government created stimulus packages and endless debt but that we have now reached the end of the road? What makes you so confident the markets will keep being propelled even higher?

Midas. Many institutional investors in the UK lost big time with the result that the forecast profits that would provide an excellent pension disappeared down the drain.

What does Warren Buffet do other than buy and hold?

There will always be successful companies with good profitability and that pay good dividends every year.

Note: I have no connection with Walen, have never met or spoken with him either so no vested interest!

Edited by Anon999

What you say about those investors who lost heavily in the Nikkei is debatable. There were also some institutional investors have lost out big time.

But correct me if I am wrong but your strategy seems to be based on the philosophy of “ buy and hold “ ?

I put it to you that the miraculous gains we have seen in stock markets over the past few years can largely be attributed to government created stimulus packages and endless debt but that we have now reached the end of the road? What makes you so confident the markets will keep being propelled even higher?

Midas. Many institutional investors in the UK lost big time with the result that the forecast profits that would provide an excellent pension disappeared down the drain.

What does Warren Buffet do other than buy and hold?

There will always be successful companies with good profitability and that pay good dividends every year.

Note: I have no connection with Walen, have never met or spoken with him either so no vested interest!

Anon, Warren Buffet doesnt just buy and hold, he buys and holds the right companies and has been doing that better than anyone else for decades. He isn't just some obnoxious little jub that got lucky in a bull market. Warren buffet also restructures companies, sells puts, buys preferred stock...a lot of stuff...what he doesnt do is trade in and out.

Promise, I'll go to bed after this...

This means nothing. How much did you put in to get those 20 millions. If you did it with 10 baht, you are an expert-superstar. If you did it with 800 millions, it's only a 2 per cent, easy to achieve...

Either you say too much or not enough... Good communicator, for the rest, I'll wait until I can meet you.

It was about 50%

Just wondering.

I like teaching and I like the topic, but it is also some extra money so it is worth my time. I am not a billionaire.

And at the end of the one day course, the expectation is that your students will be able to do what?

WB is a value investor or one who looks at the companys fundamentals eg balance sheet, debt, moat, roe etc and buys and holds based on these criteria.

There are also traders out there who deal in charts and trade based on how the charts look,

If you really want to make money I suggest that the WB method is the easier to use but you need to do a lot of research and have a fair bit of business a acumen.

I am not sure what Walen is offering so I wont comment but there are courses out there that do help people with investments but there is no guarantees with any investment.

Some posters mentioned Mr. Walen needs to have approval of the Thai Ministry of Education to teach. That's simply not true. He is not issuing credit. He is not giving out credit that can be used in a degree program. He is not promising a visa.

Mr. Walen can teach how to drink a beer if he wanted as long as he finds people who want to know what he knows. He really doesn't need any qualification to teach just to find people who will pay him for sharing his information.

Public speakers get paid for speaking. It is a way some people make extra income. There only needs to be demand for that person to speak. Mr. Walen has a successful business and some people want to hear him speak.

If you don't want to go to the class it's your business. I you want Mr. Walen's knowledge, then go.

Follow the link below to get an idea of how much money the top speakers in the world make.

http://www.publicspeaking.co.ke/post/10-highest-paid-public-speakers-in-the-world

I 'subscribe' to many services from 'advisers' trying to lure me into buying their programs. I say 'subscribe' because it's only a free daily letter via email. They all promise the world, claim they know what they're talking about, and constantly offer specials, half price annual subscriptions, etc., for their full service, the secrets that will make me a millionaire starting with 50 cents, in about a year!!

Several years ago, I tracked a number of recommendations for a year, noted the prices at the beginning of the year, regularly checked progress, and then noted prices at the end of the year. With no exceptions, not one had made any significant profit, and most made a loss.

When these 'advisers' contact me now, I ask them what guarantee they are offering. They scoff, and say they can't make any guarantees because we're dealing with the stockmarket, and that says it all. My observation is that it's not fundamentals that cause the ebb and flow of the market, but hysteria and emotion. Fundamentals are responsible for the longer term gains. For example, the Australian market dropped 60 points yesterday on the news that the US may launch a strike against Syria, not a full blown war, but a few missiles against military installations. That's how sensitive the market is. Then there are the big investors/institutions who manipulate the market by selling a few hundred million of a particular stock, watch the panic, and buy back in when the value has plummeted, then watch it rise again, having made millions on the day.

Sure there is an increase over time because products cost more, costs and profits are greater because of inflation, so naturally there is a price increase, but chasing the short term gain is bordering on stupidity. 90%+ of traders lose money, but there is never a shortage of those willing to blow $$ trying to get rich fast. Many try, few actually achieve it.

I dealt with an adviser for my superannuation for many years, and almost begged to get out when the ASX 200 index was 6854, and continued to do so as he talked me out of it and the market plummeted. Fortunately it was all documented via emails, foolishly on his part, and he settled out of court for a lot of money, not as much as I dropped, but a huge figure. I've been managing my own superannuation since, and I'm in front of where I'd have been with him, with little knowledge but a lot of common sense. When I decided to go it alone, I took paid advice from several financial advisers on what I should invest in, and their views of the same companies, and where I should put my money, were so diverse I felt they were doing no more than guessing.

There's an old saying about investing; It's not about timing the market, but time in the market. Buy blue chip companies, and don't sell. Reap the dividends, take the capital gains, disregard the day to day fluctuations, and over time you will be a rich man. With fully franked dividends in the best companies here in Australia returning 6-7%, plus capital gains, 10%+, and often much more, is a realistic annual return.

Another old saying is: The boring way to get rich......................slowly.

Follow both, and all will be well.

Mac Walen may be different, but I'd need to see the results over a year or more before I'd be willing to pay for what he has to say, and the stock market, unlike property, gives a live readout by the minute. If Mac is advocating that approach, it's good advice. Doubling your money in a year is akin to heading off to Happy Valley in Hong Kong and having a punt.

Anybody can give a Power Point presentation with 'facts' after the event. I'd need to see his advice in a practical demonstration over a year or so.

This is not a put down Mac, but after my experiences over the years, I don't think anybody needs to pay for advice to make money in the medium to longer term if they invest in blue chip companies. Investing for short term profit, i.e., trading, is sheer madness!!

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 2

Just wondering.

+ 1

These +1 posts really gets to me, sometimes you will see many +1 posts on a thread. They add absolutely nothing to the conversation and just adds to the content I need to download on my slow mobile connection. ThaiVisa already has a like button for posts, if liking posts are your thing. I know this post might be a bit hypocritical since I add nothing to the conversation as well.

+1

• Like 1

>if prices are too expensive you go short.<

MacWallen, for your student's sake, I hope you do not teach them or advocate going short. Way too risky for any individual investor to do so. Going short is a BAD idea in general. The only ones who should go short are super wealthy, experienced investors. And those investors... probably do not need MacWalen's teaching in the first place.

In any case, you seem to spend most of your time arguing and bickering on TV. When do you have time for anything else?

And lastly, if you make any claims of profits in the Thai stock market and otherwise so successful, how about posting copies of your Thai tax forms for the past 3-5 years?

You can also make money if the market goes lower. On the Nikkei plunging in the 90s lots of people made fortunes. Stock market will be here till the Kingdom comes and if you know how you will make money. If prices are cheap you go long if prices are too expensive you go short. Also you look at the trends. Also timing is very important.

Is this a market timing course?