In Phuket court, Pitbull again denies murder

Lite Beer

In Phuket court, Pitbull again denies murder

1377673907_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- Briton Lee “Pitbull” Aldhouse, accused of the stabbing murder three years ago of American Marine Dashawn Longfellow in Rawai, appeared in court in Phuket today (August 28).

Facing a charge of “killing with intent”, Aldhouse has all along said that he did not intend to kill Mr Longfellow and that it was instead a case of “killing without intent”.

In December last year police said that they did not believe him, but in the first hearing in the case, in February, Aldhouse stuck to this declaration, as he did today.

Today he presented a written statement in English, in which – the court translator said – he admitted the killing, but without intent. The judge ordered that the statement be translated into Thai for presentation at the next hearing in the trial.

The prosecutor in the case, Tawan Sukyiran, said that CP All, owners of the 7-Eleven chain in Thailand, intend to bring a charge of theft against Aldhouse for stealing two knives from one of their shops. One of the knives, it is alleged, was used in the killing.

As to Aldhouse’s insistence that the killing was unintentional, Mr Tawan added, “This case is not over yet. We have to examine the witnesses.” One eyewitness for the prosecution, who was due to appear in court today, was unable to appear.

The next hearing in the case will be on Monday (September 2) when Mr Longfellow’s girlfriend, Mina Khaisong – who was at the hearing today – is expected to give evidence. She was present when the stabbing took place.

The trial was delayed because, after the killing on August 14, 2010, Aldhouse fled to Britain, where he fought for more than two years against extradition. He was finally sent back to Thailand on December 2 last year.

The killing came after a bar brawl, allegedly started by Aldhouse, in which he was beaten by Mr Longfellow.

Afterwards, Aldhouse marched into a nearby 7-Eleven and demanded a knife. Security camera footage showed the terrified staff of the shop flinging a couple of knives onto the floor. Aldhouse picked them up and then marched out of the shop.

Later that night Mr Longfellow was stabbed in the chest at his home in Rawai. He died soon after.

In found guilty of killing with intent, Aldhouse could be jailed for life – execution has been ruled out because of an agreement between the British and Thai governments that cleared the way for Aldhouse’s extradition.

The crime of killing without intent, however, carries a much lighter penalty – a maximum of 15 years, which could be halved at the judge’s discretion if he believes the accused confessed freely.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/in-phuket-court-pitbull-again-denies-murder-41618.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-08-28

UPDATE

British kickboxer pleads guilty to US marine murder

BANGKOK, August 28, 2013 (AFP) - A British kickboxer on Wednesday pleaded guilty to murdering a former US Marine during a bar fight in Thailand, his lawyer said, reversing his previous plea.

Prosecutors allege Lee Aldhouse stabbed to death 23-year-old Dashawn Longfellow -- who was in Phuket after sustaining a combat injury in Afghanistan -- in a 2010 fight in the tourist resort of Phuket.

Aldhouse, known in Phuket by his ring name "The Pitbull", fled to his home country after the incident and become the first British suspect to be extradited to Thailand under a century-old treaty.

"A court today read him his (murder) charge and he pleaded guilty," his lawyer Kampon Siriwatunyoo told AFP, without giving details of why he changed his plea.

Phuket prosecutor Chaingsaen Panya said Aldhouse's hearing was expected to start on September 2 and would see three witnesses take the stand.

Under Thai murder laws Aldhouse could face the death penalty or up to life in prison.

Aldhouse fled to Britain after Longfellow was stabbed but was arrested upon arrival and detained for almost two years while he fought extradition to Thailand.

He lost his extradition battle and in December last year became the first Britain in more than a century to be sent to Thailand for trial.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-08-28

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 years... Just my guess !

He has done the it the proper Thai way, 1st do a runner, then when caught just confess and have the sentence halved.

Per meditated stabbing doesn't actually mean per meditated murder. He has pleaded guilty to the stabbing but not to murder.

I think 8 years will be enough for him anyway, if he is found guilty. That probably will equate to about 20 years back in the U.K.

• Like 2

JAIL for LIFE ... that's what he deserves.

Surely that should be decided following the Guilty verdict not before it.

I can think of another name that rhymes with Bangkokrick. The guy admitted to killing the man; there is video footage of him searching for a knife; it was not to peel a spud it was because the Puxxy lost his fight. He done it with intent, it is that simple and deserves life. Unless he pays his way out of this this will be the judgement plain and simple - even with the vastly corrupt justice system.

Edited by britinthai
  • Like 2

I can think of another name that rhymes with Bangkokrick. The guy admitted to killing the man; there is video footage of him searching for a knife; it was not to peel a spud it was because the Puxxy lost his fight. He done it with intent, it is that simple and deserves life. Unless he pays his way out of this this will be the judgement plain and simple - even with the vastly corrupt justice system.

Well congratulation you must be a very smart guy. He has the right to a trial before the sentence is decided just like anyone else. The kangaroo court is in session hey.

UPDATE

British kickboxer pleads guilty to US marine murder

BANGKOK, August 28, 2013 (AFP) - A British kickboxer on Wednesday pleaded guilty to murdering a former US Marine during a bar fight in Thailand, his lawyer said, reversing his previous plea.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663992-in-phuket-court-pitbull-again-denies-murder/#entry6763542

The killing came after a bar brawl, allegedly started by Aldhouse, in which he was beaten by Mr Longfellow.

Afterwards, Aldhouse marched into a nearby 7-Eleven and demanded a knife. Security camera footage showed the terrified staff of the shop flinging a couple of knives onto the floor. Aldhouse picked them up and then marched out of the shop.

Later that night Mr Longfellow was stabbed in the chest at his home in Rawai. He died soon after.

​Unbelievable that foreigners here intent to lose face. A knife is considered a weapon and if he did what they say,please let him rot in hell. -wai2.gif

• Like 1

Well, that is the name of the game. Give a try for an action that would carry a lower penalty.

Now all he has to do is prove without a reasonable doubt, that:

• Started a fight in a bar. and lost
  • Left the premises of the bar in no more than a bad mood, went to a store to get a knife not bearing the caveat 'lethal' on it,
  • Came back to the bar
  • Had plenty of time to think about his actions
  • Decided to plunge the knife into a man without intent to kill
  • Then left the country

I'm no judge, but darn...

• Like 1

IMO I am an internet warrior and will sit behind my keyboard in the sweating safety of my house/apartment in Phuket/Bangkok/Issan playing the hard man, increasing my expanding waist line and giving it the big 'en but in reality if I was ever confronted about the things I say here I would siht myself.

• Like 1

bah. I'm pretty sure that whole payoff thing only works when the offended is Thai, and before the courts get involved.

This is two farang. It's all about showing a good face to the world on this one.

I expect it'll be as up and up as they can muster.