BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boomerangutang

unusual plants, insects, ...what have you seen?

I had a large spider parked outside my upper story window, but not on the sill. It had somehow gotten strands of web to stretch several meters each way to tree branches. After a few days, it had a mate. Then just the mate, then a hundred tiny yellow spiders, all keeping a safe distance from mom. Then all gone.

Saw a hornet carrying a stunned tarantula across a path - over to its hole. It will plant eggs in the spider, while the spider is still alive, and the grubs will eat their way out.

speaking of hornet, my hill tribe buddy got bitten on the ear. the pain went down his neck to his shoulder. I gave him an unopened bottle of soda water which had been in the fridge - it helped a bit. Tried some fresh aloe vera juice, but don't know it if helped medicinally.

If anyone knows of a way to get rid of tookays (large geckos) let me know. I've tried making small fires indoors and burning dried hot peppers, but the smoke doesn't seem to expel them permanently. I've heard all the cute comments about large geckos in the house, but I seriously want to eradicate them. Is there any chemical warfare agent that will smoke 'em out? I've tried rat poison pellets, but am not sure whether those work. I caught one with a sticky rat trap, but that was a rarity.

They're territorial, a lot of people don't like the noise they make to warn away others.

I suspect that if you evict one another would take over his former turf.

My other half claims they keep mice out of the house and they certainly keep the geckos and larger insects in line.