Phuket expats corralled by new immigration rule for passports

webfact

The efficiency claim is a crock. Assuming all passports are valid 10 years, this will mean there will be an increase of up to 10% in extension applications! Extension applications surely mean more work than simple transfers. This 10% increase in extension applications is a statistic that some will exploit to suggest there has been an explosion in the number of foreign devils living in Thailand, with a resultant crackdown coupled with a denial of any Thai involvement.

I can't wait for the headline, 'immigration snowed under due to dramatic increase in foreigners applying for visa extensions'.

Edited by chrisrazz
  • Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds reasonable.

Upon the issue of a new passport, is the visa/extension in the old one still viable?

The old passport is usually cancelled and defaced by the issuing authority.

If you renew a UK passport while in Thailand, you did not need to send the original, hence you can retain an unspoiled old passport which is electronically cancelled.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

If your extension is less than 12 months because of an expired passport - well you were warned wai2.gif

Up to you!!

Many people are now warned, many people won't find out about it until too late to strategize, and some are caught with less than 12 months on existing passports and just now find out the new regulation. dry.png

• Like 2

In my case not quite sure what to make out of this new rule.

I'm a senior guy ... and I've been here too long for my own good !!

Please, clear up something for me smile.png

Present LT visa expires 13NOV13

Present passport expires 01OCT14

I was planning to renew my passport anyway this coming mid-October and then trot to ChaengWattana with both old and new passports a month or less before visa expiry to transfer present visa to new passport and apply new one-year visa on new passport all at the same time.

I did that successfully at last passport change.

With the new rule wouldn't the transfer mark the end of present visa and start of new visa on new passport that very same day ?

Thus losing a few weeks on visa - inconvenient for me as I sometimes need to leave LOS in October.

Edited by jayceenik

New Zealand passports are only for a 5 year period so we get stuffed over moeny and time wise again by this guy that does not know which country has what rules re length of there countries passports so in my case just an other inconvenience and more money to there beer funds

Edited by whiteman

These three comments seem the most cogent of many!

key point is u pay an extra 1,900 baht unless u want to renew ur 10 year passport after 8 years and 11 months ( for Americans)

just a way for Thailand to pick up a few extra baht for little work an irritate more long term residents .

My passport expires in late June and my extension cycles in mid July, so I'll be caught in the exact scenario cited by phuketrichard. sick.gif

The efficiency claim is a crock. Assuming all passports are valid 10 years, this will mean there will be an increase of up to 10% in extension applications! Extension applications surely mean more work than simple transfers. This 10% increase in extension applications is a statistic that some will exploit to suggest there has been an explosion in the number of foreign devils living in Thailand, with a resultant crackdown coupled with a denial of any Thai involvement.
I can't wait for the headline, 'immigration snowed under due to dramatic increase in foreigners applying for visa extensions'.

Chrisrazz is right about the lack of efficiency benefits for needing to move old stamps into new passports every 8+ years instead of 9+ years - that seems perfect.

“We have not received any complaints about the new rule so far, but we would like to avoid complications later on,” Col Napat said.
Well, here is your first complaint then. I applied for an extention of stay 7 days ago, and found out about this new rule 4 days ago - noone at immigration bothered to inform me. I will get my stamp in 3 weeks, but unfortunately cannot get a new passport before that, so will have to apply for extention of stay again in November, when my passport expires.

I have no problem with the rule itself, but do not understand why Thailand cannot at least inform people in advance about rule changes. There is absolutely no reason why this rule could not have taken effekt say at the end of 2013, giving everyone ample time to renew their passports if necessary.

Obviously I will not bother filing an official complaint, as I know exactly how it will be filed (trash can).

And yes, for something that will catch about 10% of current residents in the final year of their passport already, this change coulda/ shoulda been announced as going into effect sometime mid-2014.

As often the case, caught with no options but to pay-up/ comply OR to leave. I'm married, with 3 Thai generations together here - so like many others I'm annoyed.gif but without real alternatives/ options. blink.png

• Like 1

In my case not quite sure what to make out of this new rule.

I'm a senior guy ... and I've been here too long for my own good !!

Please, clear up something for me smile.png

Present LT visa expires 13NOV13

Present passport expires 01OCT14

I was planning to renew my passport anyway this coming mid-October and then trot to ChaengWattana with both old and new passports a month or less before visa expiry to transfer present visa to new passport and apply new one-year visa on new passport all at the same time.

I did that successfully at last passport change.

With the new rule wouldn't the transfer mark the end of present visa and start of new visa on new passport that very same day ?

Thus losing a few weeks on visa - inconvenient for me as I sometimes need to leave LOS in October.

The rule applies to new extensions therefore in your case the balance of your current extension will be transferred to your new passport.

Let's no loose sight of the fact that this a one time only inconvenience. Once your extension is syncronised with your passport expiry, that is then good forever, unless you disrupt your one year extensions. No big deal for me.

For sure might be a problem for folks struggling to season the 800,000 baht retirement money or 400,000 baht married money. Will require some planning.

I'm right in thinking this only applies to Phuket? So the rest of us can carry on as normal... and those in Phuket who need to get around this 'issue' just need to travel to BKK and do it there?

Nothing like complicating things, eh?

No - applies all over Thailand.

Old rule:

You have a passport valid till September 1. On January 1 you apply for a 1 year extension of stay. Immigration gives you an extension of stay till September 1 and tells you to return to immigration with a new passport before September 1. (If you come back after Sept 1 you don't have a valid permission to stay anymore and are fined for overstay).

You go back to immigration on 15 August with a new passport and immigration transfers all details to the new passport, in addition immigration gives you a new extension of stay, now till January 1 of next year for free.

New Rule:

You have a passport valid till September 1. On January 1 you apply for a 1 year extension of stay. Immigration gives you an extension of stay till September 1 and tells you to return to immigration with a new passport before September 1. (If you come back after Sept 1 you don't have a valid permission to stay anymore and are fined for overstay).

You go back to immigration on 15 of August. Immigration transfers the details of your old passport to the new passport. So far nothing has changed. Now comes the new part. Instead of immigration giving you a new permission to stay till January 1 of next year for free your extension of stay ends on September 1 and you have to apply for a new extension of stay with all necessary paperwork for the extension. You now get a new 1 year extension of stay valid till September 1 of next year and pay the usual fee of 1,900 baht for that.

So you don't need passport valid for 1 year when you apply for an extension. Often it will be handier to get a new passport before you do the next extension if during that period your passport expires.

There is a transition rule for those who already applied for a 1 year extension of stay with an expiring passport. This time they just go to immigration when they have the new passport and get the details transferred and the remainder of the 1 year extension of stay in their passport for free as usual, without needing to apply for a new extension because the passport expired.

Applying for a new passport does not cancels your permission to stay. It just means you need to have the details transferred, including the permission to stay. But that permission to stay is no longer automatically extended. For that you need to apply (again) for a new extension of stay with all paperwork.

Your examples are wrong with respect to the new rules here: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/intro1.html

I think this has been handled rather......well...the Thai immigration people could have given 5 years notice this was happening andthe same people would be complaining about hoe Thailand hates farang. Your rants get very tiresome.

If you are unable to read a calendar, your passport details and visa excemption stamp and determine when to apply, maybe time to cut back on the beer.

hi guys am i allowed to apply for a new passport by post from here to uk .without sending application to hong kong i was thinking more of saving a few pounds,my friend was going to send me a passport form from uk ...is it legal.and they can post new one to my parents and they forward it on to me...thank you..

I see all references to these new rules being addressed to expired passports. What would happen in the scenario of the passport itself not expiring until say, 2018, but needs to be replaced because it is full?

I know it is probably a stupid question, but I haven't seen this addressed yet.

BTW, this is based on one of the guys predicament at the moment; his passport is valid until 2018 but is full.

If your extension is less than 12 months because of an expired passport - well you were warned wai2.gif

Up to you!!

Many people are now warned, many people won't find out about it until too late to strategize, and some are caught with less than 12 months on existing passports and just now find out the new regulation. dry.png

Whats the issue? If you have 8 months left They will issue a stay for 8 months... If it takes you 4 weeks to get new passport... Go back with both and they will transfer remaining 7 months (or what ever..) to new Passport free! I see no problem with this. I am a guest here, lest we forget this. Just like when your home, you drive on the side of the road as mandated by your Countries Law.... Is this Horse Shit? Because you drove on the Left side here? No! Laws are laws, we have to obey.

I look at it this way, They could have said "8 months left? I ssue Stay in country 8 months!" you apply for new Passport as time when stipulated by your State Department, then you return to Thai Immigration to have everything transfered before the end of 8 months and they say " Oh.. you get New Passport, you need to get new Long Stay Visa now. Old one Expire with old Passport!" But They didn't!!

I am thankful that I get to use the remaining time. I was told what I was getting when issued the last Long Stay Visa. So it is not that I didn't know up front. They could have been a real Bitch and said "Oh.. your new Passport Issued on 12 December, you apply New Long Stay Visa 14 December... Guess what you over stay as Previous Permit Expired 12 December". You owe 4000 Baht plus fee new Permit total 5900 Baht...

I consider us Lucky... As honest as can be here in trying to put an end Date to the Old Practice, I see them being Extremely Fair!

Edited by davidstipek

Makes perfect sense. Have a permit to stay on an expired passport ????

Makes perfect nonsense!

The old style gave you an extension to stay to a certain date after expiration of the passport.

However, the extension of stay in said passport was ONLY VALID till the expiration date of the passport.

Again the Thai immigration authorities changes the rules again, and again WHY?????

When will it be the Thai authorities al long last decide to make clear rules, and do not change those rules all the time?

When, oh when, will logical thought will be applied?

When, oh when, will it be that long time expats can get a five-year extension?

When, oh when, will the 90 day thing be stopped, simply because it has no use whatsoever?

I think, but who am I, that the transfer of the extension of stay from the old passport to the new passport was a freebee..........

• Like 1

Makes perfect sense. Have a permit to stay on an expired passport ????

Makes perfect nonsense!

The old style gave you an extension to stay to a certain date after expiration of the passport.

However, the extension of stay in said passport was ONLY VALID till the expiration date of the passport.

Again the Thai immigration authorities changes the rules again, and again WHY?????

When will it be the Thai authorities al long last decide to make clear rules, and do not change those rules all the time?

When, oh when, will logical thought will be applied?

When, oh when, will it be that long time expats can get a five-year extension?

When, oh when, will the 90 day thing be stopped, simply because it has no use whatsoever?

I think, but who am I, that the transfer of the extension of stay from the old passport to the new passport was a freebee..........

Perhaps when the "farang" take some responsibility for renewing passports as they near expiration !

I see no problem ! If a passport only has 7-8 months of validity then an extension for that time is given.( Cost 1900 bht)

When a new passport is available a full 12 month extension can be provide (cost 1900bht)

What is so difficult to understand and why so much squealing?

• Like 1

There is a transition rule for those who already applied for a 1 year extension of stay with an expiring passport. This time they just go to immigration when they have the new passport and get the details transferred and the remainder of the 1 year extension of stay in their passport for free as usual, without needing to apply for a new extension because the passport expired....

This answered my question from another topic, thx again Mario

1. I have get my Visa extensions in July 2013 and stamp until June 2014 (before the new rules came out) but my passport expiration date is in April 2014. Is this new rule only for those who get the visa extensions after 13. August 2013?

Don't understand why there is mockery at all in this thread - all the immigrations does is trying to explain to us foreigners to renew our passports ahead of time, early enough to not run into any avoidable problems. So where is the problem here and why does the immigration's attempt to help and warn in a kind and appropriate manner result in another wave of "I've had it, they all just want our money, blablah" posts?

Overall I have had only very positive experiences when dealing with immigration here, in Phuket and Phang-Nga. Perhaps this is because I believe that what goes around comes around and because I always approach (private and official) people with my arms and heart wide open and with an honest and friendly smile on my face.

In my almost 23 years here I realized one thing: There are foreigners who permanently stumble into problems; may it be immigration, tourist police, business registration office, TAT, TOT, TT&T, electric office, government water office, revenue department, auditors, lawyers, business people of all walks, builders, carpenters, sales people, bar girls, girlfriends, ex girlfriends, and almost any other person around them...

These are the people sitting at the top of the Thai basher pyramid. Only problem is that they don't realize that THEY are the problem, respectively their way of approaching people, everyday situations, problem situations and eventually life in general. These people will always be miserable and will continue bashing officials, parliaments, governments and anyone in their vicinity, no matter where they live may it be Thailand, England, the US, Hawaii, Bali, or the Maledives... I feel sorry for them.

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

"These people will always be miserable and will continue bashing officials, parliaments, governments and anyone in their vicinity, no matter where they live may it be Thailand, England, the US, Hawaii, Bali, or the Maledives... I feel sorry for them"

Much to kind ! ------I would banish them all to a desert island where they could "enjoy" each others company! smile.png

• Like 2

I see all references to these new rules being addressed to expired passports. What would happen in the scenario of the passport itself not expiring until say, 2018, but needs to be replaced because it is full?

I know it is probably a stupid question, but I haven't seen this addressed yet.

BTW, this is based on one of the guys predicament at the moment; his passport is valid until 2018 but is full.

You would have a valid 1 year permission to stay in your valid paspsort. What you do under the new rule would be exactly as under the old rules. You go to immigration with both old and new paspsort and immigration transfers the details and permission to stay to the new passport.

@catweazle:

I agree. If they want more money then it's much more easier to increase the fees...

I just was a little confused about the new rule as I had asked my embassy and the immigration office earlier this year about my case and both told me that is better to make the visa extention first and later transfer the visa. But now for me it is clarified.

• Like 1

OK - A new situation!

Probably many of us have our extension to stay set at a date wherein we know we will be in the Kingdom. I do, since I lost my original 35000bt yearly extension due to missing the return date by a few days - that is history and I got my new passport and everything transferred last year.

However, if you renew your passport (which still has more than a year to go)n your home country before your next extension of stay renewal date, it sounds as if when you return to the Kingdom well within the extension of stay and try to have the stamps, etc put into your new passport, they will change the date of the extension which will start on the date you entered, even with a reentry permit! Plus charge you another 1900 bt

Not good if the new date is in the middle of possible traveling!