Difference between O and OA

As already mentioned in a thread before, I lost passport containing my non-immigrant visa O A.

Renewing this visa is a bureaucratic nightmare in my country, so TV members advised me to apply

for the non-immigrant O visa, and while in THailand convert it to the orginal O A; as this would be the most appropiate way to avoid horrendous bureaucratic BS>

My questions to this matter are:

What is the formal or even practical difference between a non-immigrant visa O and the one O A?

What kind of extra benefit does the addition of the A give to you in comparison to "only" the non immigrant

O visa?

While I can proof to the Thai authorities I have enough financial funds required by law, how easy/difficult

is it to convert back while staying in THailand from the O visa to the non-immigrant O A visa I had in my lost passport?

Thx for your advice in advance!!!

"... how easy/difficult is it to convert back while staying in THailand from the O visa to the non-immigrant O A visa I had in my lost passport?"

It can't be done. But luckily, there isn't any reason to do so, either.

An OA is done in your own country. An O can be obtained at many consulates with either proof of marriage to a Thai or proof of being 50 years old, or older.

A single entry O is good for one 90 day entry. A single entry OA is good for 1 year.

An O can be extended at an immigration office for 1 year for 1900 baht, assuming you meet the requirements for a marriage or retirement extension. No medical or police clearance is needed.

Same for the OA, although extensions are mostly done for retirement.

If you plan on staying here a while,either one serves your purpose, with the O being easier to obtain.

Edited by TerryLH
  • Like 2

With a new O visa you can then apply for your annual extension based on retirement at your local Thai immigration office. You can also convert from a 30 day stamp to an O visa at a number of offices,

Contact the nearest embassy/consulate of your nationality in Thailand for what documents (if any) they require to provide you with an income letter to show Thai immigration to show income qualification. Different nationalities -- different specific policies. Or state your nationality and someone will probably know here.

Yes, forget about a new O-A unless you are really want to travel back to your home country.

Edited by Jingthing

I have a multiple entry non immg O that I get every year in Hawaii from the Thai consulate. Do I understand correctly that I could extend this for an additional year in Thailand for 1900 baht? I pay $200 usd for the visa in Hawaii....but I do need the multiple entry as I tend to come and go.

I have a multiple entry non immg O that I get every year in Hawaii from the Thai consulate. Do I understand correctly that I could extend this for an additional year in Thailand for 1900 baht? I pay $200 usd for the visa in Hawaii....but I do need the multiple entry as I tend to come and go.

You could extend it annually for life, so yes, also for one year.

With annual retirement extensions obtained in Thailand you save the extensions with reentry permits you purchase at immigration offices or even at the airport upon leaving.

• Like 1

With annual retirement extensions obtained in Thailand you save the extensions with reentry permits you purchase at immigration offices or even at the airport upon leaving.

"With annual retirement extensions obtained in Thailand you save the extensions with reentry permits you purchase at immigration offices or even at the airport upon leaving"

So I can conclude the non-immi O visa grants the same rights i.c. multiple entries to and from Thailand as

the non-immi O A? If you can confirm this(as I travel regularly between LOS and my home-country), I apply tomorrow for the "O" !!!!

The main difference between a multiple entry o and a is with an o you have to leave the country every 90 days but with an a you report to immigration every 90 days. Also with the a if you do a visa run on the last valid day you get stamped another 365 days without having to deal with an immigration office in getting an o extension.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

The main difference between a multiple entry o and a is with an o you have to leave the country every 90 days but with an a you report to immigration every 90 days. Also with the a if you do a visa run on the last valid day you get stamped another 365 days without having to deal with an immigration office in getting an o extension.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Leaving every 90 days is no problem as I live in Chiang Rai and it's only one hour to Mae Sai and the Burma border..which has to be the easiest in/out place in all Thailand. (well except maybe other kinds of in/out) Thanks for the info.

• Haha 1

You can apply for an extension of stay at immigration (1900 baht) during the last 30 days of any 90 day entry you get from your current visa. Then apply for a multiple re-entry permit that costs 3800 baht (single 1000 baht).

If you have income 65k baht or more you can do a income affidavit at the embassy. Or deposit 800k baht 60days (90 days next time) before doing extension. Or you can combine the two to reach the 800k requirement (IE: 600k annual income plus 200k in bank (no 60/90 days needed)).

No need for border runs or making trip home to apply for a new visa every year. Just be here when your extensions are due and make 90 day reports to immigration (can be done by mail) when you are here more than 90 days.

• Like 1

"With annual retirement extensions obtained in Thailand you save the extensions with reentry permits you purchase at immigration offices or even at the airport upon leaving"

So I can conclude the non-immi O visa grants the same rights i.c. multiple entries to and from Thailand as

the non-immi O A? If you can confirm this(as I travel regularly between LOS and my home-country), I apply tomorrow for the "O" !!!!

I'm not going to provide you with such a simplistic yes or no answer here because it's not exactly the same.

On your ORIGINAL O-A multiple entry visa validity, you get a ONE YEAR stay each and every time you reenter Thailand while the ORIGINAL visa is valid, and then when that is nearly over (can be stretched for nearly two years if played well) you can apply for annual extensions based on retirement in Thailand the same as if you had started with an O (not O-A).

When not starting on an O-A, but starting on a single entry O, and then going for an annual retirement extension, with the new extension you have the choice of buying NO reentry permits, or you can buy a single permit each time you need to travel, or buy a multi-entry permit. On this when you reenter Thailand during the validity of your ONE YEAR extension the permit SAVES that extension and only that extension; there is no stamping in for another year such as when you are on the original validity of an O-A.

It IS the same (starting with an O or O-A) once you are on retirement EXTENSIONS.

Edited by Jingthing

Leaving every 90 days is no problem as I live in Chiang Rai and it's only one hour to Mae Sai and the Burma border..which has to be the easiest in/out place in all Thailand. (well except maybe other kinds of in/out) Thanks for the info.

But how many times have you got to that 90 day point and wished you didn't have to make that trip. Or didn't really want to make that long trip home to get a new visa when it was time to do it.

I'm not going to provide you with such a simplistic yes or no answer here because it's not exactly the same.

On your ORIGINAL O-A multiple entry visa validity, you get a ONE YEAR stay each and every time you reenter Thailand while the ORIGINAL visa is valid, and then when that is nearly over (can be stretched for nearly two years if played well) you can apply for annual extensions based on retirement in Thailand the same as if you had started with an O (not O-A).

When not starting on an O-A, but starting on a single entry O, and then going for an annual retirement extension, with the new extension you have the choice of buying NO reentry permits, or you can buy a single permit each time you need to travel, or buy a multi-entry permit. On this when you reenter Thailand during the validity of your ONE YEAR extension the permit SAVES that extension and only that extension; there is no stamping in for another year such as when you are on the original validity of an O-A.

It IS the same (starting with an O or O-A) once you are on retirement EXTENSIONS. 

Thanks a lot for your extensive information and stating the differences and nuances between the two types of visa. Much appreciated!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 5 years later...
On 8/30/2013 at 1:43 AM, Jingthing said:

With a new O visa you can then apply for your annual extension based on retirement at your local Thai immigration office. You can also convert from a 30 day stamp to an O visa at a number of offices,

Contact the nearest embassy/consulate of your nationality in Thailand for what documents (if any) they require to provide you with an income letter to show Thai immigration to show income qualification. Different nationalities -- different specific policies. Or state your nationality and someone will probably know here.

Yes, forget about a new O-A unless you are really want to travel back to your home country.

. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889... Does this read that you can apply at Thai embassy BKK as many posts read can only be obtained in your own country. Or am I missing something  can u help with this mate.. I typed in applying for OA multi entry this is what I got tks

If you don't want to leave money sitting in the bank in Thailand ( new rules from 1/3/2019 )  800,000 for 6 months then 400,000 for 6 months each year for renewal then the O-A is better. You will have to show sufficient funds in your own country though.

It's each persons choice on that one.

It ( O-A ) also gives 'new retirees' two years to get to know the place and the rules re' finance on visas/extensions/re-entry permits etc if they decide to retire here full time.

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889... Does this read that you can apply at Thai embassy BKK as many posts read can only be obtained in your own country. Or am I missing something  can u help with this mate.. I typed in applying for OA multi entry this is what I got tks

A OA visa cannot be applied for here at immigration. That is false and misleading info that has been on the site for many years.

You can only apply for it at embassy or consulate in your home country or country of legal residency.

You can only apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

Ubonjoe answered this correctly.

Yet again, you CANNOT apply for an O-A visa in Thailand.

• 2 months later...

There is no requirement to leave the country on an Immigration 'O' extension. Report address every 90 days is the requirement. You have to buy reentry permits as said, either single or multiple if you leave the country during your finite extension. Your 90-day report starts 90 days from reentry date, should you leave and return within the extension of your stay period. Currently, there is no requirement for compulsory insurance for this extension but will be in July for O-A. The 400,000 in-care is inadequate and the 40,000 out-patient is unnecessary for almost all retirees. It may be introduced across the board for residents in the future when I can see a mass exodus from Thailand, mainly because of the cost of inadequate and unnecessary cover.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 4:10 PM, Sumarianson said:

Currently, there is no requirement for compulsory insurance for this extension but will be in July for O-A.

The 400,000 in-care is inadequate and the 40,000 out-patient is unnecessary for almost all retirees.

Then they get an 'O' visa then can't they. ?

• 5 months later...
9 minutes ago, Gordon myles said:

Does anyone know why the non O immigrant visa with multiple entries was suddenly cancel for British passport holders under 50,

Because they started using the e visa system on June 15th that is based upon the Beijing embassy's policies.