Dies color of line make a difference?

dogpoo

i would think that some lines show up more in the water than other coloured lines, and i would expect this to make most fish wary

i know in the uk when i go fishing some ponds, the fish will feed on the loose feed that is thrown in right up on the surface, but wont touch the bait with the hook in it. whether it is that the hook is visible, or the way it falls through the water, or the line is visible, but they are clever

red sounds like an unusual colour for line! likely to scare fish a little too as there isnt much else in a pond that would normally be red i wouldnt think

Colours disappear in sea water the deeper you go. Red is the first followed by I think orange, yellow, blue, then green.

I was watching Tuna Wars on Natgeo the other day and noticed some boats were using green line and others red.

Red's a popular color because red light penetrates into water less than other colors so the red fades into the background pretty shallow.

I haven't done any testing of colors, but I do know I get more bites with 4 lb line than 12 lb line. But landing a 50kg Mekong on either is out of my skill range, so I settle for less bites and a better chance of landing the ones that do bite. (Without disturbing the rest of the guys on the dock or in the bungalow)

I think red will be as good as any color for the fishing you've described in the past.

I would imagine a flouro carbon leader of 2-3 meters was the way to go for carp, To be honest i never target carp...it hurt me too much to see my brother with a pod of 3-4 rods hiding behind the bushes for days,

I do catch carp in pay for play lakes here but only by chance but mostly in bsr i use a 50lb mono...if somewhere like cha am i would use lighter tackle and a 40lb mono or less,

As far as mehkong go i garantie they are not line shy, take any colour or size you want and they will still take the hook or even hit them on the head with the bait ball they still take it,

Rob has many different tricks about bait and rigs...maybe he has some ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Thai fish take absolutely no notice of line colour. I've used blue, black, white, brown, hi-vis orange, hi-vis yellow, purple, pink. You name it I've used it. Red is actually ok as it'll turn black in water a little way down.

The only problem with power pro is that it floats. In a fishing park your line will stay on the surface and drift with the wind when fishing a float. When fishing bottom the line will be off bottom from the lead to the rod tip. This means anyone fishing to the side of you with a fish moving across you will catch in your lines very often. Get a sinking braid if you can. They are pretty good. I use them exclusively in Thailand now. I wrote a thread on it before.