The original thai people.

Did u know the original thais came from china from the dai tribe in yunnan china and they conquered the various ppl and tribes in the south east asian region and those darker skinned ppl eventually took up thai culture and customs and names and became thaiized. Same thing with the ppl in issan but it occured later.

No I had no Idea , I think that because we all have so many different agendas we suffer for the knowledge of ancestry , I am sure now I will look into the archives to substiant , "not a real word" , so be the language .substansiate , wrong again ,ahhhh shtrttttttttt.

Then I suppose the original Thais would have been the ones the Chinese conquered wouldn't they?

Sent from my iPad

They escaped from china to south east asia and they still remain in china though.

Btw there is a difference between thai and tai ppls.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

If as you say the original people of Thailand came from China. Then what would you call the dark skinned people living in Thailand long before the invasion of the Chinese?

I would call them the indigenous people of the country, the original peoples. Where they come from is very intresting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The reason many call this tribal group "Thai" is because of the similarities between today's "Thai" and some Dai customs and architecture styles..

The reason many call them Tai is that they *are* Tai and call themselves Tai, which in Pinyin is 'Dai'. 'Thai' is just the form of the name in the dialects of the Central and Southern Thai and the Lao. Linguists have seized on the contrast 'Tai' v. 'Thai' to use 'Tai' for the whole group of speakers of the languages as opposed to 'Thai' for the Tai of Thailand.

there is also the kampti people in north east india,that speak thai,,i think a little different but thai's could understand them

This piques my curiosity. The only place called "kampti" (or "kamptee") I can find in India is in Maharashtra, which is in Western India. Can you provide a bit more information as to the people and where they live?

The north east India reference makes me think of the Ahom people(s) of the Assam region, but I think only a few hundred (mostly the priestly class) still speak a version of a Tai language. I also rather doubt that Tai-Ahom and Thai are mutually understandable.

The only place called "kampti" (or "kamptee") I can find in India is in Maharashtra, which is in Western India. Can you provide a bit more information as to the people and where they live?

Kampti = Khamti.

Thanks for that. Wikipedia also gives a link to the people (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khamti_people ) saying that they are "a sub-group of the Shan people". That explains the mutual intelligibility and also where they probably came from (Burma). It appears they live alongside, and are distinct from, the Tai Ahom in Assam.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of my Chinese friends told me once about this, it is possible, since China has been one of the place with people living at quite early stage. The people in Japan and Korea also originate from China.

I don't think they originate there. Well Koreans are more or less the same as northern Chinese, in Korean they call themselves "Han-Gook" which is just "Han-Ren" in Chinese, and there are many Chinese-Koreans in northern China such as Shenyang (my Shenyang friend's family has been there for as long as memory lasts, but they speak Korean at home and learn Mandarin at school). The ones on the peninsula fought a successful rebellion (you know they are brutal warriors since they withheld Han Chinese invasions which were successful for 4000 km west and south) and have maintained the split (and now of course have a split in their own country as well). No clue about Nipponese but they seem to have quite a distinct style from Chinese and Korean (but obviously brutal in war for being able to maintain their own nation); they must have split off a very long time ago.

The people in Japan and Korea also originate from China.

Utter rot.

Whilst there is still some debate, the Japanese are descendants of aboriginal people (living in Japan for at least 10,000 years), mixed with people from the north (principally Korea, but also places like Mongolia, China, Siberia), and from the south (Pacific islands, SE Asia).

Koreans are believed to be descendants of people from Siberia who moved to Korea during the bronze age.

The total lack of similarity between the Japanese, Korean and Chinese languages makes it pretty obvious they don't share a common root.

(The fact that Japanese uses a Chinese script as one of its three forms of writing is irrelevant.)

• Like 1

No doubt about it the Mongals put themselves about.

The original Thi people came from china, they came South to avoid all the fighting. There where 8 tribes in China. Gengas kan united them all, ending up with the united China of today, Thi,s as they where know then, took land of all the Surrounding Country's of today, hence all the problems of the near past, Burma, Cambodia, Lowe,

Then I suppose the original Thais would have been the ones the Chinese conquered wouldn't they?

Sent from my iPad

Dont sa. that,or folks will wonder why the Victory Monument was built.cheesy.gif

-----------------------------

I won't tell you, go look it up on the internet.

Hint: It has to do with why Thailand is a Constitutional Monarchy.

Thai history is a lot more complicated and diverse than many Farangs and most Thais want or care to know.

They would rather cling to the myths about the "original Thais people".

There actually are no "original Thais".

Or for that matter, no "first Americans", "real English", or whatever.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

When I was doing some research I read somewhere that the Tais originally came from the Monogolian area. The origins are clouded by time, migrations are ongoing as are theories.

Found this one interesting http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_people

That seems to conflict with the histories that I have read (unless, of course, the groups then living in southern and southeastern China originally came from Mongolia).

As others have mentioned, the notion that all of a sudden any group came from any area of China and then first populated northern Thailand is simply incorrect. The population of northern Thailand over a period of years may have suddenly increased due to the Huns expansion in China but there were already people in northern Thailand with whom the new migrants from China surely intermixed. It's somewhat like reading that Mengrai started Chiangmai from scratch. He may have started building the new Lanna capital there around 1396 and most likely the population did substantially increase after that; however, he in no manner "discovered", "founded", or "first populated" the area.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my Chinese friends told me once about this, it is possible, since China has been one of the place with people living at quite early stage. The people in Japan and Korea also originate from China.

Interesting, interesting...

We all should ask ourselves where we came from...

Maybe our high nose would relocate to its original position???

Thai people have only been Thai people since 1938 or 1948 depending on what you believe. (see attached from Wikipedia)

Before they were Thai,they were Siamese!

On July 20th, 1948, the Siamese constituent assembly voted to change the thailand_0.jpgname of Siam to Thailand, the change to come into effect the following year. Muang Thai or Thailand means ‘land of the free’ and the name had been changed before, in 1939 under the fascist military dictatorship of Field Marshal Luang Phibunsongkhram, but the anti-Axis powers refused to recognise the new name after Siam allied herself with the Japanese and in 1942 declared war on the United States and the United Kingdom.

Thai people have only been Thai people since 1938 or 1948 depending on what you believe. (see attached from Wikipedia)

Before they were Thai,they were Siamese!

On July 20th, 1948, the Siamese constituent assembly voted to change the thailand_0.jpgname of Siam to Thailand, the change to come into effect the following year. Muang Thai or Thailand means ‘land of the free’ and the name had been changed before, in 1939 under the fascist military dictatorship of Field Marshal Luang Phibunsongkhram, but the anti-Axis powers refused to recognise the new name after Siam allied herself with the Japanese and in 1942 declared war on the United States and the United Kingdom.

--------------------

Slightly incorrect in one detail about WWII.

The Thai/Siamese ambassador passed on the request from his government to the U.K. and war was declared between the U.K. and Siam by both countries.

However. the Thai/Siam ambassador refused to deliver the request to declare war against the U.S. from the Thai/Siam government to the U.S. government so Thailand/Siam never officially declared war against the U.S.

Yes, Thailand declared war against both countries, but the declaration against the U.S. was never delivered and there is a question whether it was ever valid or not.

But it is only a minor point, it made no real difference in the conduct of the war.