Aus Hon Con in tense talks over Phuket jet-ski incident

Congrats to this man for standing up to this scam and associated government corruption! More foreign government officials need to take a stand like he did.

This website might be a good place to start:

http://bribespot.com/

As for traveler's warnings, the USA's travel advisory for Thailand lays these things out quite well. But doubt many travelers read these. I know I didn't when I first came here. What it should also describe is how corrupt the police are:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1040.html#crime

And how it's supported at the highest levels of government:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/618784-chalerm-not-a-bribe-if-cops-ask-for-money-on-chinese-new-year/

I love this video. And Thailand's concerned about their image? They created it, and it ain't good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf9JW5PrBfc

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The actions of the Governors office seem to suggest that the office is at the least indirectly involved in the jet ski scam.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Right, no need for Sherlock to figure that out clap2.gif

It is time for foreign tour operators to boycott Phuket and for foreign governments to issue travel warnings. Pattaya soon to follow if they don't clean-up. Want to make these people cry? Cut off their money supply.

• Like 2

My nephew and some of his university friends were in Thailand on their gap year trip recently and I told them you'll have the best time here but remember to stay away from drugs and jet skis.

When number of tourists visiting Thailand will start to decrease, they will start wondering what they have done wrong...

When the whole country, the whole economy, will really start suffering of Thailand ripping off reputation, and I am really talking about the whole thing, not only the tourism industry, I mean the whole figures.. When it will be obviously too late.. Then, maybe (only speculation) they will start to look deeper into the problem, which is not less than the Thai attitude with the non-Thais printed so deep in Thai minds... So normal to suck money off foreigners, so fair to be unfair with them.. So Thai.

The more the monkey goes high in the tree, the more he shows his ass!

So, the chargeable issues I see are:

1. Grievous bodily harm.

2. Fraudulent claim for damage.

3. Threatening a representative of the Australian Embassy, a representative of HM The Queen.

4. Illegally retaining a passport, the property of Her Britannic Majesty.

I think it is time that ALL the Ambassadors got together and submitted a strongly worded letter to the Foreign Minister, pointing out that this sort of behavior is totally unacceptable and is not only damaging the tourist trade of Thailand, but the Country as a whole which is being compounded by rude and ineffective Thai Officials.

• Like 1

Things like this are good for the tourist trade. What happened to the agreement between the government and the foreign embassies to protect tourist? Is this another case of all talk and no action?coffee1.gif

Good for the Ozzie consul in refusing to be intimidated by this repulsive gang of thieves all colluding to rip off tourists.

He is actually acting in the best interests of Thailand. Now that the ruling party has botched economic management so badly with unproductive hand outs and growing corruption, the PM is desperation is saying they will have to boost tourism to avert a current account deficit, since exports have slumped. Firing all the corrupt government officials in tourist resorts from the provincial governors down to police station commanders would be a great place to start. But she wants her cake and eat it - allow rip offs, rapes and murders of tourists to go unpunished and hope that bare faced lying will always work to sweep the truth under the carpet and keep the mugs coming.

Than you Arkady, for a well written comment.

I think the reason I still love Thailand after 8 years here, on and off, is because I have never set foot on Phukhet, Samui or in Pattaya, and avoid Bangkok unless I have to go to the Embassy etc.

Have spent my time in Chiang Rai, 4 years, and now Chiang Mai for the last 4 years, and really don't have too many bad experiences to relate. I am careful when I go out for a beer and avoid Karaoke bars like the plague. Have trouble feeling sorry for anyone ripped off by such well known scumbags such as jet-ski touts etc.

I do like the idea of a website telling overseas visitors of the dangers of local scams, probably the best way to get the message to the masses.

Would have to be set up outside of Thailand, of course, and even then it would eventually be blocked for telling the truth.

Thailand can only block sites from Thailand, the whole point of the exercise is to warn those not actually here, but thinking of visiting. I actually tried this earlier this year, even posted on this site for people to add their own stories. Not one response received, so moral outrage lasts but a rew seconds.

• Like 1

When number of tourists visiting Thailand will start to decrease, they will start wondering what they have done wrong...

When the whole country, the whole economy, will really start suffering of Thailand ripping off reputation, and I am really talking about the whole thing, not only the tourism industry, I mean the whole figures.. When it will be obviously too late.. Then, maybe (only speculation) they will start to look deeper into the problem, which is not less than the Thai attitude with the non-Thais printed so deep in Thai minds... So normal to suck money off foreigners, so fair to be unfair with them.. So Thai.

The more the monkey goes high in the tree, the more he shows his ass!

"... When it will be obviously too late.. Then, maybe (only speculation) they will start to look deeper into the problem"

Even then, I don't think so. They will blame it on something else, on some external event, but they will never, not in a million years, think they are responsible / accountable for anything

See, the attitude of the passport authority lady is so typical. The Thai way: blaming the consul for the bad publicity instead of focusing on the issue itself.

Embassies should issue travel warnings against renting jet skis. Stop using them. Put the scammers out of business.

Edited by peterbkk9
  • Like 2

Stop going to Phuket. Everybody should know this is the status quo.

A consular person being threatened by local government officials. Insane.

Well lets hope the Aussie Ambassador takes this up at the highest levels. It's about time the apple cart was well and truly shaken.

Will it make any difference though............... doubtful when a government official has the confidence to make threats by sms without worrying about the consequences.

Well done Mr Aus Hon Consul Cunningham....who seems to be doing better than this lot..

from..

June 11, 2013 by Wanwisa Ngamsangchaikit

News, Thailand

Ambassadors fight Phuket scams

PHUKET, 11 June 2013:

Eighteen European ambassadors and senior envoys will visit Phuket, 14 June, to call for a crack down on scams including the islands infamous for tuk-tuks and taxis.

They will meet with Minister of Tourism and Sport officials and the islands top police.

According to report, the Ambassadors and Senior envoys will meet this Friday to hear briefings on scams and crimes involving tourists.

The ambassadors will ask for assurances that the islands police will tackle a rising crime rate and scams particularly related to transport.

Earlier, the ambassador to China, Guan Mu, said Thailand had not given any assurances on what measures it would take to protect Chinese tourists.

He warned that corruption among some police and immigration officers,and the lack of safety on the island would serious damage tourism from China.

A similar warning to France,gained a fast response and assurances from police there that they would tighten security mainly in Paris.

Netherlands Ambassador, Joan Boer, urged Phukets governor, Maitree Inthusut, to ensure taxis always use their their meters and end the constant rip-offs regarding transport.

Phuket has been hit by a wave of tourist discontent that is flooding social media sites and dominating online news channels that focus on the daily crime and safety lapses that face Phuket tourists.

Tourists complaints about tuk-tuks and taxis will blow up in our face and your face if more is not done to actively address the issue,the Ambassador said.

The fares are too expensive and people are beaten up if they refuse to pay"

Thailands newly appointed Tourism and Sport Minister, Somsak Pureesrisak, has already said that his priority will be tourist safety.

Safety is now the top concern for the government to ensure Thailand is perceived as a safe destination to visit

We will strengthen collaboration with related organisations.tourist arrivals to Thailand continually increase, but visitors are posting their negative safety experiences on Facebook and we have to respond

BareBoxer: "Well lets hope the Aussie Ambassador takes this up at the highest levels. It's about time the apple cart was well and truly shaken."

First it will have to be vetted by all the Thai staff in the Bangkok Embassy that will side with the Jet Ski Operator before it every got near the Ambassador.

The Thai staff don't wan't those pesty Australians upsetting the Thai scams now.

​Thumbs up for Mr Cunningham thumbsup.gif, there was talk a month or 2 ago to make it into a consolute due to so many Australian deaths and issues in Spewket. Would be a good thing one thinks.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Stop going to Phuket. Everybody should know this is the status quo.

A consular person being threatened by local government officials. Insane.

Then where should we go almighty evil one?

All foreign authorities would be better off by warning tourists during their flight through announcements and signs on screen panels. Message should be "TOURISTS ARE WARNED OF CONSISTENT ONGOING JET-SKI SCAMS WITH COMPLICITY OF THAI POLICE. NO ASSISTANCE WILL BE GIVEN BY THE EMBASSY IN CASE OF A DISPUTE IF YOU HIRE ONE".

• Like 2