Chiang Rai’s Cast of Characters

villagefarang

This is my first post, please be gentle...

I am not yet a resident of Chiang Rai, but I hope to be one in the near future. However, I have spent a lot of time there. I was stationed in Bangkok 1996 - 2000, and my wife's family lives in the Wiang Chai/Ban Lao/ corridor area (without putting too fine a point on it). During the four years I spent living in Bangkok, we traveled up to Chiang Rai often. My son learned Thai running around the village with his new-found Thai friends. The first time we arrived, with me as green and new to Thailand as I could be despite having been married to a Thai for 10 years, was eye-opening to say the least, and that is a story for another time. But I will say this much.. after a very long day's drive from Bangkok, and after departing Chiang Rai's town proper to drive yet another 25 - 30 kilometers farther into what then seemed to be the wilderness, and having no idea what we would find when we finally got to my wife's family's home, I was heartened immensely to see that little green sign with the silhouette of a golfer on it, promising me that if I only drove another 10 kilometers FARTHER into the aforementioned wilderness, I would come to a golf course! It seemed too good to be true. But it WAS true!

That golf course, was (and is) of course Waterford Valley, my favorite golf course in the world. I like to consider it to be "my" golf course, as I am sure others might. It's OK, I'll share it, especially since I'm sure some of you may have considered it "yours" before I ever considered it mine.

Now so many years have flown by, and all the little children in my wife's family's village have grown up, and I love Chiang Rai and the surroundings. After we left Thiland, we have come back at least once a year, except for a few lean years here and there, during which I missed being in Thailand greatly. As I said, I am preparing myself and my wife to move back to Thailand semi-permanently, and I do hope to get to know you all better. The talk on the TV forum has an amazing wealth of information (if you can get through all the "other than information" -- but I am not complaining) on what one needs to do to come there and stay there and be happy. I've been all over Thailand, but Chiang Rai is the right place for me.

In reply

Welcome

The links are for all,Our family is from Waterford and this is my second century

here while my dad had less tapper talk he certainly surveyed the entire area after WW2,I am sure anyone with can do attitude will find Chiang Rai one of nature's gems,while fine walks in lush valleys need not be spoiled with mashy niblicks nor an absent caddy.

As I tell all and sundry Waterford is Top Hole.,while of course in a days drive you can be in tiger woods

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

This is my first post, please be gentle...

I am not yet a resident of Chiang Rai, but I hope to be one in the near future. However, I have spent a lot of time there. I was stationed in Bangkok 1996 - 2000, and my wife's family lives in the Wiang Chai/Ban Lao/ corridor area (without putting too fine a point on it). During the four years I spent living in Bangkok, we traveled up to Chiang Rai often. My son learned Thai running around the village with his new-found Thai friends. The first time we arrived, with me as green and new to Thailand as I could be despite having been married to a Thai for 10 years, was eye-opening to say the least, and that is a story for another time. But I will say this much.. after a very long day's drive from Bangkok, and after departing Chiang Rai's town proper to drive yet another 25 - 30 kilometers farther into what then seemed to be the wilderness, and having no idea what we would find when we finally got to my wife's family's home, I was heartened immensely to see that little green sign with the silhouette of a golfer on it, promising me that if I only drove another 10 kilometers FARTHER into the aforementioned wilderness, I would come to a golf course! It seemed too good to be true. But it WAS true!

That golf course, was (and is) of course Waterford Valley, my favorite golf course in the world. I like to consider it to be "my" golf course, as I am sure others might. It's OK, I'll share it, especially since I'm sure some of you may have considered it "yours" before I ever considered it mine.

Now so many years have flown by, and all the little children in my wife's family's village have grown up, and I love Chiang Rai and the surroundings. After we left Thiland, we have come back at least once a year, except for a few lean years here and there, during which I missed being in Thailand greatly. As I said, I am preparing myself and my wife to move back to Thailand semi-permanently, and I do hope to get to know you all better. The talk on the TV forum has an amazing wealth of information (if you can get through all the "other than information" -- but I am not complaining) on what one needs to do to come there and stay there and be happy. I've been all over Thailand, but Chiang Rai is the right place for me.

JC

I recently settled on my wife's land another 30km past the Ban Lao corridor. But I visited for several years previous and had similar hesitant thoughts on that long drive from the city of "what am I getting into" and would I enjoy it or not? But the area grew on me and I prefer village life to living in the city. And the drive to town has now become our "private time" where my wife and I can discuss our plans etc. So welcome to the neighborhood!

I have a question for you. I am not a golfer but I make that drive to the city frequently and am always looking for a lunch/snack/coffee stop along the way. I have gone by the Waterford entrance a thousand times and wondered what's up there but have not yet stopped in to see. Is there a restaurant or coffee shop in there? Good view?

I haven’t stopped in at Waterford for a long time and there was a restaurant back then, though I wasn’t impressed with the food or service. The restaurant at the Santiburi Country Club is better but not great. Haven’t been to Happy City since completion so don’t know what is there. You should take a look at all three.

Hi all,

Waterford is in Ireland ?

I was on holidays in Ballymoney - Wexford , 52 years ago ;

my parents sent me there to be better in english because I was not good ;

I came back to France with a delicious irish accent cheesy.gif ( I have lost it ) but a fluent english .

Archived