Chiang Rai’s Cast of Characters

villagefarang

It must be hard for newcomers to sort through who’s who on this forum when they first arrive and expecting them to PM everyone is a bit much. Asking for introductions is too vague and boring in my opinion, but still it might be nice to know a little bit about other members.

Before offering up my shorthand take on a few fellow members, perhaps I should go first. I am the resident picture guy, with an original photo for nearly every occasion. Jack of all trades but master of none, I moved to Thailand younger than most and have called this place home longer than most. In other words 30 years in Bangkok and a little over 6 in Chiang Rai.

Here is my brief sample of our Cast of Characters.

Sceadugenga is our book and movie guy and another old Asia hand.

Harrry is our resident expert on disabilities and can comment on pretty much any topic with his dry and biting wit.

Pomchop reminds us, with such eloquence, to slow down and smell the roses.

DonaldBattles is perhaps our oldest member so we make allowances for him being a little grumpy and cynical at times. He is an author and restauranteur.

Scorpio is mister brevity, always composed and concise, using as few words as possible.

Garry is our resident Ducati guy and loves Chiang Rai, but like so many others, has to divide his time between work and Thailand.

Boomerangutang is our resident environmentalist.

Joel Barlow is our resident historian and has written extensively about Chiang Rai.

There are several people who are vying for the title of most banned member and most frequently reborn.

There are several new guys who are slowly but surely making their presence known here on the forum but I would rather they say something about themselves.

My list is long but it would be nice to hear from others as there are many members I find difficult to get a read on, simply because they don’t offer much of themselves.

Perhaps I am being naive but I think we can keep this light and fun, while getting to know a little more about each other.wai.gif

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi and good morning.

A little about myself. I was disabled and in a wheelchair (long story ) had several operations and after 2 years i could walk .to describe myself who really i am , honestly i am a caring and loving person,try to be understanding . And really love to help people who need help .. that's all and if you want to know me better , then be my friend.

I loved the way of life here , I love Thailand with so much passion. I have many Thai friends and I dont think of them as Thai , just my Friends . I am exited to move to the Chiang Rai region.

I am a person that keeps to myself but still like to meet new people who I can have a coffee with .I like all the regulars here on Chiang Rai forum as they treat everyone with respect and it makes up some of my day reading the posts.

I love to go fishing , camping . national parks and cooking, Dont like the bars, and my wife is very exited about going back up north as she came from the north.The weather up there is great as i have been told , cool seasons and hot ones as well.

Just want to say "thanks " for all those who accepted me on this forum.

kevvy

Expats are always a diverse crowd anywhere.

Some merge into the local community easily, others try to establish their own way of life in a foreign land; both ways work and both fail depending on the individual.

Many change; they invest heavily, both financially and personally, in their new lives and the less successful often resent those that succeed.

Concern is part of many lives; sickness in a strange hospital, a poorly funded retirement and finding a decent education for children born at a time most people worry about their grand children are some examples.

Things that would not matter in Yorkshire or Nebraska become all important here and often those wishing to move on have no where else to go.

My advice to newcomers is not to expect to find heaven on earth here, the basic ingredients are certainly available but you need the desire and the tools to build it yourself.

Make friends, there are good people in Chiang Rai, but when all is said and done it will be home and family that really matter.

Sceadugenga in philosophical mode. wink.png

I like this. Guess we will have to add resident philosopher and harbinger of good sense to your title.smile.png

Expats are always a diverse crowd anywhere.

Some merge into the local community easily, others try to establish their own way of life in a foreign land; both ways work and both fail depending on the individual.

Many change; they invest heavily, both financially and personally, in their new lives and the less successful often resent those that succeed.

Concern is part of many lives; sickness in a strange hospital, a poorly funded retirement and finding a decent education for children born at a time most people worry about their grand children are some examples.

Things that would not matter in Yorkshire or Nebraska become all important here and often those wishing to move on have no where else to go.

My advice to newcomers is not to expect to find heaven on earth here, the basic ingredients are certainly available but you need the desire and the tools to build it yourself.

Make friends, there are good people in Chiang Rai, but when all is said and done it will be home and family that really matter.

Sceadugenga in philosophical mode. wink.png

Archived