BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

villagefarang

Chiang Rai’s Cast of Characters

Admittedly some other epithets did come to mind but my intent was not to offend so I am glad you do not object to the words I chose in the end.wai.gif

Thanks to all of you guys for your posts - yes, the Chiang Rai forum is a lot different in a positive way from the rest of the rant hubs on Thai Visa.

I've lived in Chiang Mai for over 7 years now, and have watched the community change to the extent that I'm now considering a move to Chiang Rai. You've encouraged me!

Moving to Chiang Rai is not like moving to another planet and if you live on the Southern side of town, Chiang Mai is closer than you might think. It is a nice drive and you can always go back and visit friends and the things you still like, as often as you wish.smile.png

I am sometimes in and around Chiang Rai ,my wife's home province

You should lets us know the next time you are in and around Chiang Rai.

I am sometimes in and around Chiang Rai ,my wife's home province

You should lets us know the next time you are in and around Chiang Rai.

Road Runner ( aka VF )is easy to catch...he tries to keep moving but just hold out a Starbucks and he will stop for a while.

Let us all know when you come.

I have a long overdue coffee with Wiley, I'd really like to catchup with him.

I have a long overdue coffee with Wiley, I'd really like to catchup with him.

I think I owe you a coffee as well. :)

With interest it would be a cup and a half now.... Posted Image

I suspect you are correct :D

Hello my Chiang Rai TV friends.

It has been a long time since I've posted or even checked in to the forums.

I have missed the topics, banter and photo's immensely and look forward to reconnecting very soon.

At present, I am back in northern Canada, but will be returning "home" in time to ring in the New Year. My beautiful wife is crossing the days of the calendar with great enthusiasm. (Like Crossing them out a day early will make it come sooner! Lol)

Another great thread!

I am a Chiang Rai neophyte and would love to spend more time there than is possible at present due to work..... But I dare to dream! One day it will be so. :)

As for interests and/or hobbies.......

Amusing my caddy and friends with my severe lack of talent but enthusiastic approach to the game of golf is a great way to spend a day.

Puttering about in the yard with the various plants, trees and the fish pond is very satisfying. More so when they thrive, but this too is a learning curve.

Going for drives to explore the area and learn more about my wife's native country and my adopted home is also time enjoyed.

Lurking, reading and occasionally posting in the Chiang Rai forum on TV.

Lots more on the "to do" list.

A warm Hello to the folks that keep this forum rolling and Welcome to the new comers.

Cheers

Aft

I think this is only the third or so thread on thaivisa that I have read that is a civil read. Nice read thanks. I really liked the photo thread too. Thanks. I have a few friends in the area and hope to meet them when I retire to LOS this year and maybe run into some of you. Torn between northern Thailand and Ranong area as I like the beach and mountains.Don't care for city life as I am an ole country boy and an avid diyer.I love riding motorcycles and exploring back roads, So I also enjoy those posts and enjoy gardening and happy to see posts about that too. Anyway just happy to see that folks up north seem to be a nicer bunch than the down south fellows. I have read many posts about how the Thai's up north seem to be a much nicer bunch than those in the south. I beginning to think that this applies to farangs also.LOL I used to spend all my time in Patong Beach in the early 80's, but would not be able to stand it now. While I was there, I decided that I would retire here someday. That day is this year and I can't wait. VF, I do read your site and enjoy it.

I think this is only the third or so thread on thaivisa that I have read that is a civil read. Nice read thanks. I really liked the photo thread too. Thanks. I have a few friends in the area and hope to meet them when I retire to LOS this year and maybe run into some of you. Torn between northern Thailand and Ranong area as I like the beach and mountains.Don't care for city life as I am an ole country boy and an avid diyer.I love riding motorcycles and exploring back roads, So I also enjoy those posts and enjoy gardening and happy to see posts about that too. Anyway just happy to see that folks up north seem to be a nicer bunch than the down south fellows. I have read many posts about how the Thai's up north seem to be a much nicer bunch than those in the south. I beginning to think that this applies to farangs also.LOL I used to spend all my time in Patong Beach in the early 80's, but would not be able to stand it now. While I was there, I decided that I would retire here someday. That day is this year and I can't wait. VF, I do read your site and enjoy it.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your retirement. I just retired last year so I went thru the same debate on where to settle. I chose Chiang Rai because - uh err - my wife decided. That is, she is from this village and has land where we can set up our home base. But we are in a nondescript farm village outside CR. Nothing special about it at all. But we are related to almost everyone in the area so we will have lots of help available as we get older.

I enjoy reading the ongoing debate about living in Chiang Rai v Chiang Mai v Other Places, but really this village could be anywhere in Thailand. But what I like about CR is that it is off the beaten track and off the well-worn tourist track so I enjoy the peace and quiet. I also grew up in the country but worked in the city(ies) for too many years. For my retirement lifestyle I wanted to get back to small town life. If you want western restaurants and night life, you might want to live in a Thai city. But I am an avid gardener and also enjoy biking the back roads and this area has that in abundance. It also has enough restaurants and shopping to make life very comfortable. I'm currently getting the garden in shape for the next rain season - and trying to convince the relatives that there is no need to build another house in the newly cleared land set aside for the garden.

Good luck with your retirement planning.