Larry Cunningham to quit as Phuket Hon Con

webfact

I applaud Mr Cunningham for representing the interests of his fellow countrymen.

I recently voiced my favorable opinion of the Chinese government standing up for its citizens, as opposed to the US government who could care less about its citizens abroad. I was suprised when posters made remarks like: "If you want a friend, get a dog and people want big government to take care of them..."

Personally I see the role of government as helping us with issues that we can not do on our own, such as guarding the shores, establishing a sound currency and, yes, protecting its citizens abroad.

Every one has an opinion so thats cool; however, I seriously doubt that rational folks would not be in favor of governments standing up for their tourists and expats.

Hats off to Australia and Mr. Cunningham smile.png

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doubt they will find a suitable replacement. The duties and tasks, in this particular post, are far too onerous for an unpaid position. (As I write this, Larry, no doubt, has his hands full dealing with two deaths of Australians in Phuket yesterday)

Australia really should be opening a consulate in Phuket.

However, with the current political climate in Australia, funding will never become available.

The conservative party in Australia, who will win Government on Saturday, have been promising $billions for any hair brained project that they think will win them votes in local seats.

They have to pay for these promises somehow, and the first thing they do will bring in massive cuts in the public service.

It's more likely Foreign Affairs will be closing posts down!

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

Doubt they will find a suitable replacement. The duties and tasks, in this particular post, are far too onerous for an unpaid position. (As I write this, Larry, no doubt, has his hands full dealing with two deaths of Australians in Phuket yesterday)

However, with the current political climate in Australia, funding will never become available.

The conservative party in Australia, who will win Government on Saturday, have been promising $billions for any hair brained project that they think will win them votes in local seats.

They have to pay for these promises somehow, and the first thing they do will bring in massive cuts in the public service.

I believe many Australians living in Phuket will also miss-out on voting in this Saturday Election due to the AEC sending out the postal votes to overseas electors via boat to Thailand, on the cheapest overseas postage available to them, which has resulted postal papers not arriving in time. Those wishing to vote now would have to get on plane and vote at the Australian embassy in Bangkok.

Another budget funding cut consequence I imagine.

Had a permanent Consulate been established in Phuket this would not of occurred.

The full details of the job vacancy are now on http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Vacancy_Honorary_Consul.html

wonder if they will get somone of his quality for $7500 a year. All I can say is the Australian government are cheapscates who consider services to the thousands who go to Phuket each year is worth less than 30 passport fees.

A$7.5k a year, besides all the other duties, would have to be a "labour of love":

"To often respond to requests for assistance as quickly as possible and at any time during the day or night. Applicants should be aware that consular work can be unpredictable, time consuming and stressful. During peak tourist times many cases may occur simultaneously and may become complex requiring significant work to resolve"

I believe many Australians living in Phuket will also miss-out on voting in this Saturday Election due to the AEC sending out the postal votes to overseas electors via boat to Thailand, on the cheapest overseas postage available to them, which has resulted postal papers not arriving in time. Those wishing to vote now would have to get on plane and vote at the Australian embassy in Bangkok.

Another budget funding cut consequence I imagine.

Had a permanent Consulate been established in Phuket this would not of occurred.

Voted last week, took one week (inc Sat Sun) to receive my postal vote from the time I applied for it. Applied online.

The full details of the job vacancy are now on http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Vacancy_Honorary_Consul.html

wonder if they will get somone of his quality for $7500 a year. All I can say is the Australian government are cheapscates who consider services to the thousands who go to Phuket each year is worth less than 30 passport fees.

Consuls are not paid a salary, only a stipend.

Consuls are not paid a salary, only a stipend.

You obviously answered without reading the link. Nowhere did I say it was a salary. The stipend is given in the link as $7500 a year.

Edited by harrry

• 2 weeks later...

Larry was a champion for Australian expats and tourists. I have met him twice and also had a few dealings with him on the phone. I think it is a great loss not only for Australians but for all tourists. Hopefully a suitable replacement will be found.

By the way. Who is the other farang in the photo in the black uniform?

<snip>

He is that old Swedish guy who works at Immigration as a Police/Immigration Volunteer.

Is he part of this group?

http://www.phuket-tourist-police-volunteers.com/

I see him in a lot of photos. He's always wearing a black uniform. The volunteer police I always see are the above, wearing uniforms with white shirts.

He is that old Swedish guy who works at Immigration as a Police/Immigration Volunteer. 

Is he part of this group?

http://www.phuket-tourist-police-volunteers.com/

I see him in a lot of photos.  He's always wearing a black uniform.  The volunteer police I always see are the above, wearing uniforms with white shirts.

Ah yes I thought that was him. He certainly isnt camera shy. I wonder if he likes a "selfie" too