1 million baht a year saved in the Bank , stop wasting your time in Thailand !

bermondburi

There is not enough disk space in this forum to contain all the attrocities and ignorance I experienced while I was there. Life is to short to put up with the kind of predjudice and criminal stupidity in the name of religion I experienced there.

Is there enough disk space for at least one example? Thanks.

According to them - the most important people in the world are Saudi males. Anyone else has little or no value.

Example 1: A Sri Lankan maid managed to escape her "employer" while I was living there. She made it to her embassy where she was immediately airlifted to a hospital in Colombo. They had to remove 18 nails ranging from 1 to 3 inches from her body, including her skull. When her "employer" got angry he had his wife hold the maid down while he used a hammer to pound in hot nails into her. The penalty imposed to the "employer" was a strict warning not to have any more maids (unless he really wanted to).

Example 2: When her family became trapped in a flood in Jeddah, a teenage Suadi girl saw then struggling and ran home. She drove the family Suburban to the flood area and threw them a rope, pulling them out of the flooded area. She then pulled out 8 other cars full of people. Her reward? The Department of Prevention of Vice and Promotion of Virtue (the Thought Police) attempted to arrest her for driving a car. Only the enormous puplic outcry prevented her from serious punishment.

Example 3: Reported in the Saudi Times newspaper, in an article about the Saudi's building a 2b USD clock in Meccah, they stated that the world should abandon GMT in favor of Meccah time because "Saudi scientists had proved scientifically that Meccah was the center of the earth".

If just keeps going and going. If you happen to be in the Pattaya area, feel free to come and buy me a beer - I will rant on all evening.

but how did any of these things affect you ?

bad things happen everywhere.

As poster pastafarian mentioned, this is just the tip of the iceburg. These were well documented bad/stupid things. Every day you deal with small abuses which grate on your nerves.

The incident I remember most clearly was when a Saudi asked me if I was staying permanently. I told him no, I was going home to Thailand as soon as the computers were configured. With a straight face he said - But we bought 4 computers, don't we get you too??

And since my family is asian, the abuse of the asians there is uncomfortable, most notably the immigration officer who seperates the asians from everyone else with a stick and forces them into a line of 400 to 800 people where they stay for 4-12 hours with no food or water waiting for someone in immigration to get bored and process their visas.

I also have epilepsy which can be controlled by a single beer (scoff if you must) or valium. Both are unavailable. Once I collapsed in the Damam airport and only a call from a doctor in the US got me the medicine I needed, their plan was to put me on a plane because I was acting drunk.

Should I continue?

• Like 1

I know that Saudi is a very unfair place in many ways . The Indians and Pakistanis get treated very badly and they work for very low wages . But I don't really get where your coming from with dealing with small abuses every day .I go to work , do my job , go home ect . What are these things that grate on you ? The driving is terrible for sure and you have to be careful crossing the road but apart from that .....

My wife is Thai and she does get looked down on if she's not with me and that does piss her off , but it's not the end of the world . I've gone in and out of Riyadh airport quite a few times and I think what your talking about regarding immigration is people who are arriving for the first time . I was in a queue for 2 hours with a load of Indians and Pakistanis when I first went but now it only takes 5 minutes and there are other Asians in that queue too . As long as you have your re-entry permit then it is quite quick. Maybe at Jeddah airport it could get quite busy and overcrowded at certain times of the year due to pilgrims .

As for the beer and valium , Knowing that you need those things for medical reasons and knowing that they are unavailable must make you reconsider where you can live for your own health.

What were you doing there and where were you working . Everyone has different experiences after all . I think that makes a big difference as does the individual's temperament . I only started this thread to show people working in Thailand that there are other options if you feel like you're not getting anywhere . The school I'm currently at is working towards getting accreditation for the American Diploma and I've learnt loads in the past year about the American common core state standards and what that involves and how to link them with lessons . Things I never had to do in Thailand . I'm sure there are places where this happens in Thailand but not at any of the schools where I worked .

On the whole I'm positive about the time I've spent here .

• Like 2

I know that Saudi is a very unfair place in many ways . The Indians and Pakistanis get treated very badly and they work for very low wages . But I don't really get where your coming from with dealing with small abuses every day .I go to work , do my job , go home ect . What are these things that grate on you ? The driving is terrible for sure and you have to be careful crossing the road but apart from that .....

My wife is Thai and she does get looked down on if she's not with me and that does piss her off , but it's not the end of the world . I've gone in and out of Riyadh airport quite a few times and I think what your talking about regarding immigration is people who are arriving for the first time . I was in a queue for 2 hours with a load of Indians and Pakistanis when I first went but now it only takes 5 minutes and there are other Asians in that queue too . As long as you have your re-entry permit then it is quite quick. Maybe at Jeddah airport it could get quite busy and overcrowded at certain times of the year due to pilgrims .

As for the beer and valium , Knowing that you need those things for medical reasons and knowing that they are unavailable must make you reconsider where you can live for your own health.

What were you doing there and where were you working . Everyone has different experiences after all . I think that makes a big difference as does the individual's temperament . I only started this thread to show people working in Thailand that there are other options if you feel like you're not getting anywhere . The school I'm currently at is working towards getting accreditation for the American Diploma and I've learnt loads in the past year about the American common core state standards and what that involves and how to link them with lessons . Things I never had to do in Thailand . I'm sure there are places where this happens in Thailand but not at any of the schools where I worked .

On the whole I'm positive about the time I've spent here .

Interesting, for me, on the whole I was extrordinarily negative about the experience. I work on the internet and have spent significant time in 30 countries and this was the worst. I have never felt as worthless as I did in Saudi, even though I was building the internet for Saudi Telecom (STC). I just couldn't take reading the newspaper every day and seeing rape and murder of maids and not feel pain for them. Every day!

Lets not get started on driving, they have 1/2 the population of the UK and 2x the accidental death rate. They spend more money on long term rehabilitation of spinal injuries from car accidents than they do on education! I feel positively safe driving in Thailand where I have had no accidents compared to two car accidents in Riyadh plus being hit walking in a crosswalk.

I agree everyone's experience differs, but I can't believe that any westerner can have the quality of life there that you can have (at 1/2 half the salary or less) in Thailand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting post. For those who are qualified and experienced teachers in the international system, there are a number of posts that offer a much higher savings potential than the majority of Thai intl. schools. Working in Thailand I was able to save 18K US per year over the 6 yeqrs I worked there. I left a couple years ago for a post in Africa and have averaged a savings of 6K US per month (cash in bank after all expenses). Another few years and I will be heading back to SE asia to finish out my career with the pension sorted. Well worth a look folks!

• Like 1

Thought I had better add that you need not work in an Arab country to make some good cash. Granted, there are sacrifices to be made. The quality of life here cannot compare to that of Thailand/Vietnam/Malaysia; however I must admit that for me, the ends more than justify the means.

Thought I had better add that you need not work in an Arab country to make some good cash. Granted, there are sacrifices to be made. The quality of life here cannot compare to that of Thailand/Vietnam/Malaysia; however I must admit that for me, the ends more than justify the means.

Which country you in? I've worked in Nigeria, SA and Zimbabwe.

• 3 weeks later...

One can save money and be happy anywhere. There are people managing a good sum from teaching in Thailand ( I am thinking of international schools). The OP is lucky that he got a nice place to work with suitable conditions. And he's also absolutely right, that we've got to consider other options other than Thailand.

Unfortunately, my Middle East story (Saudi) is not a good one at all. So I would never even think of it, again.

Million baht a year is good. You can save more than that in Hong Kong though if money is a major factor in where you work.

Is it though ?

He has stated that he saves all his salary and lives off the side work..

I bank all of my salary each month

So this means that 1 million baht is the salary he moved from Thailand for, so basically 20,000GBP per yr (+apartment and bills)

Yeah... doesn't sound great now really.

totster :)

• Like 1

Motivation? All motivation is intrinsic, that is it comes from within. A good teacher may be able to inspire. To lead. To model. But motivate, ie cause something to happen? No one can make another person do anything. Stop laying the problems of unmotivated students upon the teacher or anyone else. You speak like yet another all knowing Pratt without any experience.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just to clarify about the salary. It is about 105,000 a month. I do save it all more or less but we do go on holidays too and that is where the rest of the money goes. But all in all,for me anyway, if you can come away with a mill a year you're doing well. Slow and steady wins the race.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm sorry, but the OP's post is quite irritating to me. I never, ever had the feeling that I'm wasting my time in Thailand. Nor do I have the feeling that making more money makes people more happy.

Some of my friends back in Europe have a big problem. Their problem seems to be that they already have all others are dreaming about.

When will people understand that you can't eat money, nor does money buy you love and friends.. My wife does love me.

How the heck could i watch them every day, how they treat Asians, when married to an Asian woman?

No way that I would work there.. I couldn't just look away and play the three monkeys. -wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Of course more money makes people happier. That's not to say the fundamentals don't come first though. Money buys freedom.

Nothing to get irritated about, the OP just wanted to share his experiences for others to know and act or know and dismiss.

Yeah it's all about keeping a balance in life though

As you need a certain amount of money, after which the motivational / happiness effect of money has diminishing returns.

I know that for myself, of course I'd like extra money, but I want it on my own terms. I'd like to drive fancy sports cars and what not, but I'd prefer to have a relaxed lifestyle and time to spend with my fiance and (in the future) with my kids.

But then I primarily teach in Thailand, because I enjoy teaching in Thailand. I might enjoy teaching elsewhere as well, although I'd prefer to not teach back in NZ, as it'd be a lot more work and wouldn't have the magical appeal of working in a foreign country. But working in another country, wouldn't have the appeal of working near my fiance and her family's home, not to mention that there are a tonne of unknowns which might not appeal. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

In saying that, I think that the OP's post (Which was from almost 6 months ago, thus I don't know why it was dragged back up lol), would be worthwhile for many teaching to look into. As not everyone is chained to a wife and family in Thailand, and if other locations are offering a similar deal but with more money/savings, it'd be worthwhile looking into further.

• Like 1

I too do not think I am wasting my time in Thailand. Yes, tough economic times but I am happier here than in big brotherland.

i was offered a job teaching a South American team English in northern Iraq for 100,000 baht per month. I declined. Not due to dangers, just due to no internet access and unable to chat with family. So family came first. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I agree that Thailand schools are paying teachers very low salaries, specially when the government gives up to 60000THB a month to Government schools for every foreign teacher its hires, but you do not need to go too far away to make better money. Korean and Japanese schools pay very well for English teachers....Around $2500/month, plus housing, plus benefits, and annual plane ticket to hometown for vacations.... Sure, cost of life is higher in those countries. If you are interested I can give the e-mail of my 52 yo American friend in Japan. She was teaching in Korea and now she is teaching in Okinawa, and she doesn't have teaching certifications, teaching degrees, or long teaching experience.

Edited by thailampang2012

I agree that Thailand schools are paying teachers very low salaries, specially when the government gives up to 60000THB a month to Government schools for every foreign teacher its hires, but you do not need to go too far away to make better money. Korean and Japanese schools pay very well for English teachers....Around $2500/month, plus housing, plus benefits, and annual plane ticket to hometown for vacations.... Sure, cost of life is higher in those countries. If you are interested I can give the e-mail of my 52 yo American friend in Japan. She was teaching in Korea and now she is teaching in Okinawa, and she doesn't have teaching certifications, teaching degrees, or long teaching experience.

Source please for 60,000 baht a month payment by government to schools. Thanks.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but the OP's post is quite irritating to me. I never, ever had the feeling that I'm wasting my time in Thailand. Nor do I have the feeling that making more money makes people more happy.

Some of my friends back in Europe have a big problem. Their problem seems to be that they already have all others are dreaming about.

When will people understand that you can't eat money, nor does money buy you love and friends.. My wife does love me.

How the heck could i watch them every day, how they treat Asians, when married to an Asian woman?

No way that I would work there.. I couldn't just look away and play the three monkeys. -wai2.gif

Didn't mean to irritate you. When I said wasting time I wasn't talking about time spent in the classroom, more the fact that I didn't want to spend my best earning years on low wages in Thailand.

Everyone has different priorities and ideas about money. For me, I want to make sure I have a good retirement and enough to provide a good future for my children so that they don't have to struggle like I have had to do previously in my life.

On your last point regarding treatment of Asians, yes, conditions can be tough for TCNs here. However, no one forces them to come and they do know that wages will be low and working hours long before they come. Enough of their compatriots have trodden the well worn path before them. I see it more as an indicator of how poor people are in India, Sri Lanka,Indonesia, PPPs etc. Also, I take it you never noticed how the Burmese and Cambodians get treated in Thailand? Many are in forced labour or working for peanuts, You don't seem to be too bothered about their plight even though your wife is Asian. Think about that, no country is perfect and Thailand's record on human rights abuse isn't that great either.