BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

legendarysurfer

Choam Sa-Ngam / Chong Chom Border Crossing

FYI Si Saket has an Immigration office about 2 km north  of the crossing.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ss4-crop.jpg{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif 20130901_110004.jpg

That is not the current Sisaket Immigration Office in the photo. Maybe one from days gone by?? I am not nit picking you helpful posts Khwai, just trying to save confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is not the current Sisaket Immigration Office in the photo. Maybe one from days gone by?? I am not nit picking you helpful posts Khwai, just trying to save confusion.

Not by gone but operational. Yes the main office is in Sisaket and setting drectly in back of it is the new

Choam Sa-Ngam Custom House Complex and I mean complex...

95600214.jpg

Edits:

I just re-read my prior ThaiV posting about rip-offs at Chong Jom. I see that someone has subsequently responded that the 300 baht extra I had to pay was kosher and was because I was only a day tripper (visa run). Probably also applies at Choam Sa Ngam, where I always pass through to visit Camby properly. Sorry Camby border-guards!!

This is a scam, there is mo extra charge for being a day tripper. I have done this crossing many times and only paid the extra once (first time). If you feel confident don't pay it, if you don't 300 baht is not a lot for the lack of confrontation. Personally I give them what I have to and stand my ground (though i don't like having to).

You probably saw my posting, repeating advice from someone else (who was commenting on my posting about the same 'scam' at Chong Jom crossing).

Glad you have established that it is an avoidable scam. I had also hung tough at Chong Jom by holding out my hand for my passport at the same time as making out I was getting the required money out - just took the passport and walked on. Had some comments flying after me but that that time I was pretty sure it was a scam, so what the hell. The posters on the Chong Jom crossing thread predicted that I would have trouble going through that crossing again since I had refused to pay a kosher fee. Happy to know it was a scam after all, but I shall try to avoid these crossings for there and back day trips anyway in future.

Edits:

I just re-read my prior ThaiV posting about rip-offs at Chong Jom. I see that someone has subsequently responded that the 300 baht extra I had to pay was kosher and was because I was only a day tripper (visa run). Probably also applies at Choam Sa Ngam, where I always pass through to visit Camby properly. Sorry Camby border-guards!!

This is a scam, there is mo extra charge for being a day tripper. I have done this crossing many times and only paid the extra once (first time). If you feel confident don't pay it, if you don't 300 baht is not a lot for the lack of confrontation. Personally I give them what I have to and stand my ground (though i don't like having to).

You probably saw my posting, repeating advice from someone else (who was commenting on my posting about the same 'scam' at Chong Jom crossing).

Glad you have established that it is an avoidable scam. I had also hung tough at Chong Jom by holding out my hand for my passport at the same time as making out I was getting the required money out - just took the passport and walked on. Had some comments flying after me but that that time I was pretty sure it was a scam, so what the hell. The posters on the Chong Jom crossing thread predicted that I would have trouble going through that crossing again since I had refused to pay a kosher fee. Happy to know it was a scam after all, but I shall try to avoid these crossings for there and back day trips anyway in future.

Good on you, the more people who refuse to pay the better. I went there again today and a after refusing to pay an extra 100 baht for the visa he asked if I had payed 1000 before (shouldn't even be 1,000) and I told him I have only ever paid 1,000; he gave up. The guy at departure asked for 300 and I just said no, and walked away. I have done this 6 times and never had a come back. Though I still feel a bit apprehensive every time I do it.

Not by gone but operational. Yes the main office is in Sisaket and setting drectly in back of it is the new 

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/

photos/medium/95600214.jpg

Sisaket Immigration Office,where I obtained a Visa last week is on the Highway226 (on the right just over the rail crossing) and about 4k from Moung Sisaket. Are photographing the border area and NOT the current Sisaket Immigration Office (maybe) ??????????????????????

S

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/

photos/medium/95600214.jpg

Sisaket Immigration Office,where I obtained a Visa last week is on the Highway226 (on the right just over the rail crossing) and about 4k from Moung Sisaket. Are photographing the border area and NOT the current Sisaket Immigration Office (maybe) ??????????????????????

S

http://sisaket.immigration.go.th/

map.jpg

1. Mail: Office of Immigration Sisaket (the split).

No. 305 Moo 3 in Top Administration Center. Saket Road Bypass Road, Muang Phetchabun provinces. Saket call 045-814-800.

1. Via e-mail Email address:. Phusing_imm@hotmail.com. ,.D4_sisaket@immigration.go.th. , and. Immsisaket@gmail.com.

2. Phone: 045-814-800.
  3. Way. Http://sisaket.immigration.go.th.

As far as I know you can do all things of an immigration nature at both the Meuang Sisaket office and the office close to the Choam Sa Ngam (aka Chom Sanam)/ Anlong Veng border in Amphur Phusing. I don't know which one is the "main" office but that's not really an issue from a customer viewpoint (AFAIK).

As far as I know you can do all things of an immigration nature at both the Meuang Sisaket office and the office close to the Choam Sa Ngam (aka Chom Sanam)/ Anlong Veng border in Amphur Phusing. I don't know which one is the "main" office but that's not really an issue from a customer viewpoint (AFAIK).

Photo of new dorms being built directly in back of Sisaket Immigration at Choam Sa Ngam. If you go to

gps 14.366406, 104.064946 (Choam Sa Ngam Custom House) on Google earth there are more photos.

95600079.jpg

Edits:

Scam or not, the Cambodians will levy the 300 Baht charge if you are returning immediately to Thailand.

This is why the border runs cost 1,300/1,400 Baht. The visa desk will only accept 1,000 Baht in such cases.

I have never done a visa run, I have always gone on to Siem Reap. I have often thought that I would stand my ground with $20 in my passport (however long it takes), go over to Cambodian immigration to get stamped in and have a coffee/beer/water at one of the roadside shops, After about half an hour I would go back and, if asked) say I had developed severe stomach cramps and could not continue my journey and wanted to go home.....................

I have always given them 100bht. Never a problem.

Edits:

Scam or not, the Cambodians will levy the 300 Baht charge if you are returning immediately to Thailand.

This is why the border runs cost 1,300/1,400 Baht. The visa desk will only accept 1,000 Baht in such cases.

I have never done a visa run, I have always gone on to Siem Reap. I have often thought that I would stand my ground with $20 in my passport (however long it takes), go over to Cambodian immigration to get stamped in and have a coffee/beer/water at one of the roadside shops, After about half an hour I would go back and, if asked) say I had developed severe stomach cramps and could not continue my journey and wanted to go home.....................

At Chong Chom ?

1,000 baht to Cambodian visa office - have you not been asked for money at the Immigration office ?

Edits:

At Chong Chom ?

1,000 baht to Cambodian visa office - have you not been asked for money at the Immigration office ?

NO.

Edits:

At Chong Chom ?

They usually ask for 300bht teamoney. I hand them 100 as I say "last time it was only a hundred". Always works.

Clarification. At Chong Chom the building that issues a Cambodian Visa is just for that purpose only a VISA for Cambodia. They should be charging 20 USD but we all know its normally 1000 baht, there are times they will try on a newbie 1100 or 1200 baht. After you get your visa you have to go directly across from this shack to another shack that says 'ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE'. It is at this shack that you are processed into Cambodia. If your doing a u turn they generally hit you for 300 baht,if your going into Cambodia they don't. BUT if you take a taxi about 500 meter up the highway directly opposite the turn off for O'Smach (Big Arch) the taxi has to stop to check out,they hit you here for the 300 baht.

Clarification. At Chong Chom the building that issues a Cambodian Visa is just for that purpose only a VISA for Cambodia. They should be charging 20 USD but we all know its normally 1000 baht, there are times they will try on a newbie 1100 or 1200 baht. After you get your visa you have to go directly across from this shack to another shack that says 'ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE'. It is at this shack that you are processed into Cambodia. If your doing a u turn they generally hit you for 300 baht,if your going into Cambodia they don't. BUT if you take a taxi about 500 meter up the highway directly opposite the turn off for O'Smach (Big Arch) the taxi has to stop to check out,they hit you here for the 300 baht.

I have never experienced any 'shake down', after immigration, in more than a dozen visits.

I have never experienced any 'shake down', after immigration, in more than a dozen visits.

Some people don't and some people do. What are you paying for a Cambodian Visa, 20 USD or 1000 baht?