Indian food

macanello

Could you please explain what you mean by spices? Individual spices or already mixed for particular dishes, such as Chicken Masala, Rogan Josh, Madras etc. Certainly Indian food is very popular and if you can supply a good product I am sure you will successful, especially so outside of Bangkok, Pattaya and Chang Mai as these cities have Indian restaurants. Not sure about other cities as have not visited for some time. However even in the cities I mention some would prefer to cook their own but have difficulty getting all the ingredients. Myself I stock up with ingredients when I visit Pattaya and even then it is difficult to get all I want. A while ago after visiting the Royal Garden Plaza the Indian chef prepared packs of spices for me with instructions how to mix for various curries, that worked well. So good luck and keep us curry enthusiasts updated.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I doubt there'll be much of a market for this. Few Thai people like Indian food, as recently discussed at length here. The Indian-Thai community already has its own sources.

Rang Mahal used to sell frozen curries. The business appears not to have gone well. The curries have disappeared from the supermarket freezers, and they're now selling frozen Indian desserts.

Yes it did I am opening my new shop in wanon in sakhon nakorn I will stock all indian spices and make chapatis nan etc as well as ready made curry sauces

There is a big market for this. Please keep this thread updated.

In the mean time, does anyone reading this thread know the location of an Indian spice market in Bangkok's Pahurat (little India near Chinatown)? I'd like to buy 5-10kg each of: basmati rice, atta flour, lentils, chickpeas, and small quantities of asafoetida resin, mustard leaves, etc.

The last few times I wondered around Pahurat there was not much of anything in terms of Indian dry goods or food markets. I found mostly fabric shops, (that's where the market gets its fame). There were quite a few good Indian restaurants with plenty of Thai Indian expat customers. I'd like to find a grocery store or dried goods shop that caters to the Indian expat community. I'm specifically not interested in Foodland, Tops, Makro etc.

Feel free to PM me. wai2.gif

• Like 1

Yes it did I am opening my new shop in wanon in sakhon nakorn I will stock all indian spices and make chapatis nan etc as well as ready made curry sauces

There is a big market for this. Please keep this thread updated.

In the mean time, does anyone reading this thread know the location of an Indian spice market in Bangkok's Pahurat (little India near Chinatown)? I'd like to buy 5-10kg each of: basmati rice, atta flour, lentils, chickpeas, and small quantities of asafoetida resin, mustard leaves, etc.

The last few times I wondered around Pahurat there was not much of anything in terms of Indian dry goods or food markets. I found mostly fabric shops, (that's where the market gets its fame). There were quite a few good Indian restaurants with plenty of Thai Indian expat customers. I'd like to find a grocery store or dried goods shop that caters to the Indian expat community. I'm specifically not interested in Foodland, Tops, Makro etc.

Feel free to PM me. wai2.gif

Many years ago wandered around Pahurat looking for Indian spices but never found much of interest, Best place I found is Peng Lee at Asoke market, corner of Sukhumvit and Asoke, certainly have Basmati rice, lentils and asafoetida, probably the others as well. Directions from Asoke BTS - take exit to MRT, u-turn at Sukhumvit Road level and there is a small alley a few metres along on your right, follow this round and Peng Lee is on your left.

"Makro's carry a line of Indian spices under the" Mothers " name brand,

they are in small boxes,cost only 40-45 Bht and enough to make 4/5

curries, the have about 10 different mixes,they are made in India by

Desai brothers of Pune, est 1901 so they are the genuine article.

I have stocked up on quiet a few boxes,as I suspect once they are

sold out ,we will never see them again,which happens to a lot of stuff

here in Thailand, example Makro 's has some frozen curry pies from

Malaysia,4 in a box ,cook in oven yourself,last week also by the same

company frozen Samosas,none left this week,the pies they have not

been in stock for at least 6 weeks now.

regards Worgeordie

My local Macro sells dry spice Indian Curry mix (Korma, Biryani, Masala, etc.). The brand is "Shan", and they are from Karachi. I bought a load of them but have only used the Masala, and the Vegetable Curry so far. Both were excellent.

I hope the OP's business flourishes. Brave man starting a business in Thailand.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been selling frozen Indian ready meals (BIR) for a while now & I generally source most of my spices from Bangkok & some I import from the UK, if you can get the spices cheaper & as good quality I would be interested in doing some business with you. To be honest I was going to sell spices on my website but its very hard to beat the prices on offer in Bangkok.

Good luck with your business

Edited by farangfood

I asked my gf why Thais don't like Indian Food, and I have been trying the get her into trying it for some time cuz I love it.

I was suspecting a while that it wasn't about the food but about something psychological. this is what she answered: It smells and we don't trust if its clean or not... Those herbs they use in the food are different from the herbs we use. and it smells like hmmm how can I say(taking 2 minutes to answer)

- Does it smell like shit?when the Thai herbs you eat comes out when you do the big job???

HAHA yeahh!!!!and we don't like the bean sauce they have.

(This is only a Thai person answering she cant speak for all Thais) If I can chose which food I want as a last meal: I would chose something Indian.

I asked my gf why Thais don't like Indian Food, and I have been trying the get her into trying it for some time cuz I love it.

I was suspecting a while that it wasn't about the food but about something psychological. this is what she answered: It smells and we don't trust if its clean or not... Those herbs they use in the food are different from the herbs we use. and it smells like hmmm how can I say(taking 2 minutes to answer)

- Does it smell like shit?when the Thai herbs you eat comes out when you do the big job???

HAHA yeahh!!!!and we don't like the bean sauce they have.

(This is only a Thai person answering she cant speak for all Thais) If I can chose which food I want as a last meal: I would chose something Indian.

when mrs.meat lived in the uk.every girly night would end up in the indian.even when we lived in bkk.we went to

mrs.balbirs off soi 8 sukumvit rd.i have tried for 40 or more yrs.to get it as good as them if I live another 40 I wouldn't succeed.

• 4 weeks later...