Calories in Thai cooking

nellyp

I am trying to find somewhere I can get the calorie values of Thai food. I like to eat Khao Mun Gai, but have no idea of the calories in it, and want to track my daily intake. Does anybody know where I can get the info?

If not, any ideas about:-

Khoa mun Gai

Pappaya Salad

Pad krapao

Pad prik ghaeng

Noodle soup ( no sugar)

These are my staples

Cheers

Calories, dunno, but some of the obvious issues here:

Khoa mun Gai, rice is soaked in fat

Pappaya Salad, try to ask for less sugar, otherwise a great food!

Pad krapao, will be fried in palm oil, chicken better than pork

Pad prik ghaeng, palm oil

Noodle soup, salt, if it's got processed meat/fish balls in it, then that's lots of sugar and fat

Calories, dunno, but some of the obvious issues here:

Khoa mun Gai, rice is soaked in fat

Pappaya Salad, try to ask for less sugar, otherwise a great food!

Pad krapao, will be fried in palm oil, chicken better than pork

Pad prik ghaeng, palm oil

Noodle soup, salt, if it's got processed meat/fish balls in it, then that's lots of sugar and fat

I realise that most of these have "issues", but as my main meal of the day, I can afford to have one of theses "problem" meals. But I need to be able to calculate the whole day. I found a site that gives some info, on "My fitnesspal" it says that Khoa man gai is 335 calories for 1 cup and I assume that you need to add the chicken. It also says that Pad Krapao is 750 calories as a meal with rice, which I think is too much.

Thanks for the help. I'll avoid the balls, though I maight still keep the sugar in the Som Tham, I will try it though.

Cheers

750 sounds high for pad krapow. Obviously you can get with different meats and the portion sizes vary. Most people get with a fried egg and they usually use too much oil for that. Frankly, how can you count calories in a restaurant meal that you have no control over? My suggestion would be to focus on what you can know is actually in the food. There are healthier choices in restaurants and unhealthier ones. For example a CLEAR tom yum would be healthier. Pork w/ chili healthier than pork w/ coconut curry. Rice noodles much better than Mama noodles. Definitely avoid Mama noodles. Etc.

Edited by Jingthing

I think this is real hard to say as it differs per shop what goes in there. There are no real set recipes so i doubt you will find awnsers. Jt had the right idea with identifying the problems other than that there is not much to be done.

I have counted calories for 2 years but what you are asking here is impossible.

750 sounds high for pad krapow. Obviously you can get with different meats and the portion sizes vary. Most people get with a fried egg and they usually use too much oil for that. Frankly, how can you count calories in a restaurant meal that you have no control over? My suggestion would be to focus on what you can know is actually in the food. There are healthier choices in restaurants and unhealthier ones. For example a CLEAR tom yum would be healthier. Pork w/ chili healthier than pork w/ coconut curry. Rice noodles much better than Mama noodles. Definitely avoid Mama noodles. Etc.

Gutting, mama have just released spicy cheese noodles.biggrin.pngbiggrin.png I do eat coconut milk based curries now and again, but will stop now I'm dieting. I also need to buy a scales as I don't have one. I find that I am actually not taking enough calories in at the momment. I'm allowed 1,200 but today ate only around 700 in my two meals. I played tennis for an hour, which apparently equates to about 500 calories burned. I know I need to up my calorie intake but I want to do it with healthy food. Lager is my demon but I will only have a couple of bottles over the weekend, which should be well managable. I'm a bit worried about my metabolism dropping because I'm not eating enough, so I need to sort that out asap cheers everybody for the advice.

i think it is lot easier to count the excersize calories ( burned) than those food intake calories.

especially as there is lots of variables apart from the calorie number alone...lots of thai food very high on oil, sodiom, and often contain MSG too.

a mama noodle calorie intake wont equal to a plain chicken breast calorie intake, even if the number equal...hope you understand what i try to say.

Its not just the calories you have to think about. What is the saturated fat count? What is the carbs count

You dont see many fat Thais so im assuming their food is on the whole quite healthy.

post-37101-0-30268100-1378840211_thumb.j

Obesity is growing rapidly among Thai people. I have noticed a dramatic increase even since when I first visited here in 1998. No it is not at Mexican levels (the world's most obese large population nation), but that's the trend.

Thai people love fat, sugar, salt, deep fried foods, and processed foods like any other people, perhaps even more so. Thailand has evolved into an modern obesogenic environment.

Obesity is a huge problem in many countries around the world, and Thailand ranks in the top five Asia-Pacific nations in this regard 2. In the period 2005-2007, obesity rates in Thailand increased from 10 million in 2005 to 17 million in 2007. Since then, and despite further research and some small-scale treatment programs, the incidence of obesity has only accelerated. Furthermore, these increases are now occuring across many demographic groups, and in both urban and rural areas.

With respect to childhood obesity, statistics from Thailand's Ministry of Public Health paint a troubling picture. In the past five years, the percentage of obese pre-schoolers rose from 5.8 per cent to 7.9 per cent, whilst in school-age children the obesity rate went from 5.8 per cent up to 6.7 per cent. These figures represent obesity growth rates of 36 per cent (pre-school age) and 15 per cent (school age). Among Thailand's young adults (those in the 20 to 29 age range), the obesity rate over the same period increased by 36 per cent among men and 47 per cent for women. 3

http://www.burning-bison.com/obesity.htm

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/life/Childhood-Obesity-A-Weighty-Problem-30198882.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22132571

Edited by Jingthing

Its not just the calories you have to think about. What is the saturated fat count? What is the carbs count

You dont see many fat Thais so im assuming their food is on the whole quite healthy.

I use an application that shows me this info and I'm under consumption on it all, I am interested in the calcium intake too, is skimmed milk still high in calcium?

I wouldn't count Mama Noodles as "food" actually. Sorry, Mama! whistling.gif

What are Mama Noodles?

Are you joking... if you dont know... wow... ask your wife

It was a serious quesiton... why would I joke about this? You know my wife is not Thai.

Edited by tropo

It are those pre packed noodles with some msg and fats that you just add water too. Now some Thais use them as a base for other dishes. I thought it was not only Thais using them you got Korean style too. I am pretty sure even your wife knows them I know she is not Thai.

3560010537.jpg

Edited by robblok

It are those pre packed noodles with some msg and fats that you just add water too. Now some Thais use them as a base for other dishes. I thought it was not only Thais using them you got Korean style too. I am pretty sure even your wife knows them I know she is not Thai.

3560010537.jpg

Thanks! OK, now I got it - Mama's a brand.

Yes, she does like these noodle packs/cartons, but I've never seen her buy the Mama brand. These are also big in the Philippines and probably all around Asia.

Edited by tropo

3560010537.jpg

Yes, she does like these noodle packs/cartons, but I've never seen her buy the Mama brand. These are also big in the Philippines and probably all around Asia.

Everywhere in Asia, I have bought them in Australia and the UK too. For some reason Korean brands seem to come in bigger packets

3560010537.jpg

Everywhere in Asia, I have bought them in Australia and the UK too. For some reason Korean brands seem to come in bigger packets

The Mama brand?

You need to watch them make the food. Khao mun gai is difficult as you don't know home much chicken fat they used in cooking the rice. I would say there;s at least three tablespoons of chicken fat in the rice, the chicken itself is usually breast and not that fatty, but if you have the skin it is. The soup can be fairly oily but not always.

The 'problem' with khao mun gai is that you are mixing carbs and fat, which is a no no.

For fried rice, watch how much oil they use....I don't eat much rice, but once in a while will order it. I tell the cook not to add any extra oil, just throw the rice in with the oil from the meat that is cooked first. also I tell them to use like half the rice as usual, and add more green veggies to it (I don't mind paying a little extra to get what I want). Makes for a drier khao put, but that is ok.

Agree with som tum. I tell them no sugar, and add some stevia in to it at home.

Edited by tominbkk
  • Like 1

I wouldn't count Mama Noodles as "food" actually. Sorry, Mama! whistling.gif

WHAT! but they are so tasty! Are we talking about same thing?

I can devour 3 cups in 10 minutes easily. And how can those be not healthy, even has shrimp in it!

JT, maybe you don't let the cups sit long enough after you added water, for best results you really have to wait few minutes (difficult wait, I know), or maybe you forget to add the little baggy that has hot sauce in it, hot sauce is essential for full flavour

post-93591-0-86313100-1379263285.jpeg

My diet is going great, after exercising my calorie intake is very low...too low. My biggest problem seems to be keeping nutrician up. I have yet to get enough sodium (way below), calcium (probably half), fats, pottasium etc. It could be that the counter I am using (myfitnesspal) seems to lack a lot of info for these in the food values (a lot seem to be added by users---which is good for thai food), or the food doesn't have any minerals and vitamins in them. Does anybody know of a good android app for this?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I'm into Low carbohydrate diet.

I now a lot about what foods in the west contains low carbohydrates, but regarding Thai Food its a new market for me.

I really want to know which Thai/Food/Dish(Vegetable/Fruit contains low calorie.

LCHF-Method. (Low Carbohydrates High Fat) combined with drinking a lot of water and training. jogging it really works. you will feel very tired in the beginning.

combining with jogging really was the key. no need for fast just keep going. and this Thai tea: Fitnea Tea, its very popular I'm sure you can find it.

Ive seen in in many shops in the West. check your weight everyday and you will not only lose weight, you will get FIT FIT clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Fitne tea is OK for short term like to fit into a party dress but it is LAXATIVE based so a really, really, really bad idea to do LONG term.

Yes, it is popular in Thailand. A lot of questionable "health remedies" are popular in Thailand. coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing