The only Farang who never wears Shorts.

NoshowJones

I don't wear them. I wear jeans. It just looks better.

I have nice shirts, nice tees, why waste them by putting them on with a pair of shitty shorts that wont match.

Shorts never look good, and in most cases wont even match or fit in with the rest of what you're wearing. The only exception I can think of is if you are going all out for that 20 year old Cambridge-frat boy look. And even then.. they'll match, but you'll look like a homo.

To respond to the above posters' assumptions, I am 26, and do not feel hot in them.

As for what other people wear: Everyone is free to wear what they want. Just like I am free to judge them as poorly dressed slobs.

Good post, apart from using the word 'slobs'

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+1

IMHO, the question is weather related.

When 'civilized' men first explored the tropics, they discovered people did not wear clothes, simply because it was too hot, so they improved the situation and introduced suits, thereby reducing everyone's comfort and shortening their life expectancy.

I wear short because they are much more comfortable in the heat. SHould I ever return to a temperate climate, I shall again wear the long trousers of an old man.

It wasn't until about 1940 that the then government decreed that it was required of all Thai citizens to dress more "internationally" appropriately, and for the women not to go topless in their daily lives. They even published a poster (below) that showed appropriate dress. The left of the poster is the DON'T and the right is the DO.

So essentially, all this "cultural" stuff about Thais not showing bare shoulders, not wearing shorts etc stems not from some distant cultural belief in propriety, but merely a government edict issued regarding dress standards designed to modernise the country.

In another cultural issue regarding the sacredness of the head in Thai culture, It was also an edict at the same time that Thais will not carry things on their heads, which until then was standard practice. Bizarre, but true.

attachicon.gifthai_dress_mandate_by_pibunsongkram.png

not wearing shorts

would you like to borrow my reading glasses? what is the chap shown in the Thai "dress mandate" wearing? a dress? an evening gown? coffee1.gif

attachicon.gifThai shorts.jpg

attachicon.gifthai_dress_mandate_by_pibunsongkram.jpg

One wonders what the resident experts on thai culture have got to say now....seeing as shorts are shown as appropriate attire in drawing posted ?....one suspects they will say shorts are only appropriate if one is wearing long socks

OP sounds a little neurotic.

The fact is that the climate in LOS is very humid. What kind of idiot is going to walk around in jeans in this humidity?

To answer the question specifically, the only farang that does not wear shorts in LOS would have to be those from India. Even if you travel to India you will rarely see an Indian guy in shorts. I dont know how they can do it...

I almost always wear jeans, am perfectly comfortable, and the humidity does not bother me at all. And I am not from India. I just don't think they look very good on me, or any other adult male.

It doesn't really bother me when others wear shorts though, up to them. What really irks me is the increasingly common sight of male farang tourists (usually drunk, and often heavily tattooed) walking around the middle of Bangkok with no shirts on. Save it for the beach, for &^%$s sake!

Excellent post Charmonman.

Each to his own I say. But you still need to show respect for 90 day reports and renewals visits to government offices. I do see a lot Thai men wearing shorts now at weekends especially the younger ones so it all changing.

The only constant in life is constant change.

According to some of more knowledgable posters...all these people are gay

Yes they are gay, according to a guy and his friends who look at what other men are wearing.

Is the real word for gay not happy?

I wouldn't have thought this topic would sire 11pages of discussion but that's TV I guess.

Anyhoo, I'm in agreement with the OP - away from the beach, around the house or at the gym/playing sports, 90% of the time, shorts on men look pretty scruffy.

Admittedly, that might have more to do with the profile of the average foreign man here. Older, fatter and, consequently, more likely to look hideous in poorly selected wardrobe.

Still, some people don't care about their appearance and that is their prerogative.

I do care so I won't wear them unless I'm in the afore-mentioned environment.

• Like 1

i guess the "Thai Dress Mandate" settles the issue laugh.png case closed!

Yup. It is apparent that the "Thai Dress Mandate" stipulates that it is ok to dress like a clown.

Any of my friends who shows up dressed like that for a night out with the mates will experience beer drinking solitude, that's for sure...

For Thai students of all ages, the school day begins with routine group activities such as singing the national anthem and prayer. Strict rules govern uniforms and hairstyles, breeding a culture focused on the collective rather than the individual. Inside the classroom, the environment again encourages conformity _ questioning teachers is discouraged. It's no wonder people who come from such rigid education systems, which are all about dictatorship and control, get their panties in a bunch over people who are slightly different in any way. And I'm not just talking about Thailand, but the UK as well.

Shorts everywhere thanks unless the weather/event doesn't warrant it, such as a wedding. Just not comfortable wearing longs in the tropics. We're not in Kansas now and as long as people are presentable and clean, why would you have an issue? Note, I'm talking smart, knee length shorts here as opposed to 59 baht Tesco specials & vests--those folks really do look crud.

But if the op and co look like monsters, then I don't blame them for covering up, or perhaps they should stay home where we won't have to look at them. xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.Tg-YB9NPfX.webp

Just for the record, I am 6ft tall,weigh 78 kilos, no tattoos, and all my own hair and teeth. As for the monsters, ie the obese, tattooed, simmet wearing guys, yes, they should stay at home where we won't have to look at them.

I am afraid this post will not earn you a "like" from the blether! 18x20xw00t.gif.pagespeed.ic.mm3WWmVptC.w width=18 alt=w00t.gif>

If your post is not troll-bait, you are a person I hope I will never meet, no matter how stylish you dress!19x19xbah.gif.pagespeed.ic.UBlCYNwc5a.we width=19 alt=bah.gif>

I think the Blether would understand that I am not referring to people who have weight problems because of their health, so to all posters who have weight problems because of their health, I sincerely apologise.

What about the fat bastards that just eat too much ?

most of the resident eggsburts on Thai culture will not respond when realising that they possess a wealth of no idea as far as Thai culture is concerned. others will keep on raving, ranting and presenting their irrelevant opinions.

L-dog%20very%20cut%20small.jpg

I bet your multilingual gardener concurs?

most of the resident eggsburts on Thai culture will not respond when realising that they possess a wealth of no idea as far as Thai culture is concerned. others will keep on raving, ranting and presenting their irrelevant opinions.

Dui, la

i was waiting for that irrelevant comment. that's number 7 in my collection of your comments referring to the languages my gardener speaks. of course i might have missed a few. try to get used to the fact that there are people who can afford multilingual gardeners. it can't be that hard laugh.png

i was waiting for that irrelevant comment. that's number 7 in my collection of your comments referring to the languages my gardener speaks. of course i might have missed a few. try to get used to the fact that there are people who can afford multilingual gardeners. it can't be that hard laugh.png

More to the point does your multilingual gardener wear longs or shorts while carrying out his duties ?

And what is his Thai cultural perspective on this question, in light of the comments by TV finest Thai Cultural experts..?

try to get used to the fact that there are people who can afford multilingual gardeners. it can't be that hard laugh.png

It's harder to get used to people who according to themselves chooses to live not where they want but where they can afford it. I can afford to live wherever I want.

Bragging about employing a gardener in Thailand is not exactly the best choice if you plan to measure dick, but feel free since you've got your pants around your ankles anyway...

Edited by Forethat

try to get used to the fact that there are people who can afford multilingual gardeners. it can't be that hard laugh.png

It's harder to get used to people who according to themselves chooses to live not where they want but where they can afford it. I can afford to live wherever I want.

Bragging about employing a gardener in Thailand is not exactly the best choice if you plan to measure dick, but feel free since you've got your pants around your ankles anyway...

I've always tried to live where I could afford it.

Normally, I look at the options I can afford, and take the one I find most attractive.

I take a similar approach to maintaining my suave and dapper sartorial elegance. I'm sure, like most of you, I would rather wear a dinner suit most evenings, and would prefer not to venture out about town without a jacket and tie, but the simple fact of the matter is that when rodding drains or tilling the sod or foraging for vegetables in Tops, comfort and efficiency must sadly take precedence over style and aesthetic proportion.

So long as you've got a good sharp crease in your shorts, your sandals are brightly burnished with a reputable polish, and your singlet is crisply bleached, what more can one do?

SC

• Like 1

but according to one of your recent postings you can't afford a "supercar" like a BMW in Thailand because of the high import duties.

by the way, nobody in Thailand brags about gardeners or maids because many foreigners can afford this kind of domestic staff. it's poor boys like you who moan about the price of Armani suits but brag they can afford to pay taxes anywhere (one of your recent postings too in response to my posting that i like income tax free Thailand). instead of telling us stories that you might reject friends if not "properly dressed" you should concentrate on teaching your wife the language which you obviously master.

tongue.png

but according to one of your recent postings you can't afford a "supercar" like a BMW in Thailand because of the high import duties.

Opposite to yourself I feel no need to advertise my possessions on an internet forum the way you do. I drive a fantastic car and another fantastic car. Both subject to tax that I can afford. One of them is considered a supercar, and the other one...well, let's just leave it there. xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.YFbFEjGiN5.w

by the way, nobody in Thailand brags about gardeners or maids because many foreigners can afford this kind of domestic staff.

One would think so, but I've actually come across someone who does...

Long pants, short pants, flip flops or shoes, polo shirt, wife beater, or T-shirt. Isn't it all down to the style that the wearer manages to achieve?

A Falang in a sloppy pair of ill fitting jeans/trousers of non descript style, wearing a crappy style-less shirt, tucked in to show an ill matching coloured belt with line marks at 4 of the holes showing how much he's expanded over the years, and $20 shoes that have seen better days,.....does not look smarter than a bloke in a decent pair of well fitted designer shorts (NOT bathers), a decent polo shirt (free of beer or any other logos), and a pair of stylish shoes with (or without) low ankle socks.

As to the alleged "need" to wear trousers to government offices - I wear shorts, polo shirt and shoes as described above and have always received courteous treatment, wai's, and unsolicited good advice. It's also a case of demeanour. A bloke wearing an Armani suit who shows disrespect and intolerance will NOT be as well received as a bloke wearing tidy shorts and a polo shirt that behaves like a reasonable person. Seen it happen.

Thais always wear nice clothes to government offices. It's a cultural thing. Why not respect their ways?

One thing that caught me as a bit odd was about 6 months ago I went to see my skin doctor at CMU. I wore nice shorts and a button down shirt. It was the hot season here in C.M. As I sat down, and just before the doctor came in, the nurse ran over with a large towel and covered my legs. Oh well...

Whenever I go to the Amphur, the majority of Thais are wearing shorts, flip-flops and football shirts. They seem to be unaware of their own culture as you describe it.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago, a lot of the Thai male youth adopted the "fashion" of having their underwear on show and the waistband of their jeans at the top of their thighs.

No matter how bad a farang looks in shorts, he will never look as ridiculous as that.

All farangs out there, if you are comfortable wearing shorts, there is nothing wrong with that, but please don't adopt the Thai culture of wandering around in your pajamas.

• Like 1