The only Farang who never wears Shorts.

NoshowJones

This is probably the right thread to ask....

Cherry red doc marten boots, khaki shorts... what colour shirt should I wear?

Would I look ridiculous if I didn't bother with the braces?

SC

Really!! You have to ask????

Obviously, the shirt should be the same colour as your socks.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SC

I knew that. But what colour socks should I tell people I'm wearing under my cherry-reds?

They should go up to your knees to save the questioning.

Should the shirt match the left sock or the right? Or should I wear two-tone stripes?

Should the shirt have holes in it too?

I'm really grateful for you kind chaps here on TV for all this helpful advice

SC

• Like 2

They should go up to your knees to save the questioning.

Should the shirt match the left sock or the right? Or should I wear two-tone stripes?

Should the shirt have holes in it too?

I'm really grateful for you kind chaps here on TV for all this helpful advice

SC

As long as you keep your swagger stick in check.

Never wear shorts without one,

And a handlebar mustache.

You can be forgiven anything down there closer to the equator.

Edited by OldChinaHam
  • Like 1

For Thai students of all ages, the school day begins with routine group activities such as singing the national anthem and prayer. Strict rules govern uniforms and hairstyles, breeding a culture focused on the collective rather than the individual. Inside the classroom, the environment again encourages conformity _ questioning teachers is discouraged. It's no wonder people who come from such rigid education systems, which are all about dictatorship and control, get their panties in a bunch over people who are slightly different in any way. And I'm not just talking about Thailand, but the UK as well.

"Panties in a bunch..." ???

After 26 years living in several Asian countries, I'd say Thais are by far the most easy going

and tolerant of any Asians that I've experienced. By tolerant, I mean generally amicable, not

easy to anger, and a live-and-let-live attitude.

Light years from the "fight-at-the-drop-of-a-hat" tendency often found in Western countries.

Long pants, short pants, flip flops or shoes, polo shirt, wife beater, or T-shirt. Isn't it all down to the style that the wearer manages to achieve?

A Falang in a sloppy pair of ill fitting jeans/trousers of non descript style, wearing a crappy style-less shirt, tucked in to show an ill matching coloured belt with line marks at 4 of the holes showing how much he's expanded over the years, and $20 shoes that have seen better days,.....does not look smarter than a bloke in a decent pair of well fitted designer shorts (NOT bathers), a decent polo shirt (free of beer or any other logos), and a pair of stylish shoes with (or without) low ankle socks.

As to the alleged "need" to wear trousers to government offices - I wear shorts, polo shirt and shoes as described above and have always received courteous treatment, wai's, and unsolicited good advice. It's also a case of demeanour. A bloke wearing an Armani suit who shows disrespect and intolerance will NOT be as well received as a bloke wearing tidy shorts and a polo shirt that behaves like a reasonable person. Seen it happen.

Thais always wear nice clothes to government offices. It's a cultural thing. Why not respect their ways?

One thing that caught me as a bit odd was about 6 months ago I went to see my skin doctor at CMU. I wore nice shorts and a button down shirt. It was the hot season here in C.M. As I sat down, and just before the doctor came in, the nurse ran over with a large towel and covered my legs. Oh well...

Whenever I go to the Amphur, the majority of Thais are wearing shorts, flip-flops and football shirts. They seem to be unaware of their own culture as you describe it.

What Thais wear has nothing to do with this discussion really.

If the Thais visited our country and dressed like some kind of

homeless beggar then we'd probably be justified complaining.

The problem I have with these farangs who have no personal

pride nor sense of propriety about their dress, their attitude or

their behavior -- they sully the image of farangs in general.

That affects all of us who are a bit more civilized.

SC

I knew that. But what colour socks should I tell people I'm wearing under my cherry-reds?

Apple blossom white.

Shorts are OK I guess, but I draw the line at socks with sandals.

Also, I have noticed some young Thai hipsters wearing enclosed leather shoes without socks. Don't they realize that it makes their feet absolutely reek?

I wear socks and sandals, and I also respect posters opinion.

I cant believe i opened this nonsense topic again, now it will keep on being on top of my inbox !

Is there any way i can delete a topic from "my content" ?

There is not such a thing as a nonsense topic, all the topics on TV have interest to some posters, this topic has had over 300 posts so far, and some posters have given us a good laugh. If you think it is nonsense, then you do not have to read it.

I never wear shorts OR jeans. These days, I cover up as best I can. Short are for the young and physically attractive. Being neither, I feel that a pair of nice khakis will get me by just fine.wai2.gif

I hardly ever wear jeans myself, I wear trousers (pants to you Americans) which are quite thin, and I don't think I sweat any more than someone wearing shorts. I buy my trousers at the stalls in Sukhumvit near Soi 4.