The only Farang who never wears Shorts.

NoshowJones

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has to be said, a majority of farangs hanging around bar areas look like scum.

I do hang around the bar areas. Does that class me a scum. sad.png I,m a nice fella who never fights in Thailand since 2003. Does that still class me a scum . blink.png

I do wear jeans most times, I am attracted to Mosquitos that why i am trying to keep my legs covers.

Edited by Billy The Kid

We live in a hot tropical country here. Shorts are the logical thing to wear here for heat purposes.

Why in the world would you wear farang pants here ?? Strange....... I personally wear

shorts all the time, but I lead a casual life. If you attend business meetings, or course you

would wear pants. Unless you owned the company.......

• Like 2

i wear shorts constantly, but then i rid a minimum of 20km daily and run almost all of my errands on a bicycle on top of that. I had 30k in today before 10 am

when evening rolls around, on go the jeans.

personally i could not care less what others wear, as long as they wear something.

I have no desire to see geriatric junk while out and about.

i think more on here should worry about the quality of their own existence rather than finding offence around every corner.

I never said anything about girls wearing shorts, but yes, I like shorts on girls as long as the girl is not fat.

It has to be said, a majority of farangs hanging around bar areas look like scum.

I do hang around the bar areas. Does that class me a scum. sad.png I,m a nice fella who never fights in Thailand since 2003. Does that still class me a scum . blink.png

I do wear jeans most times, I am attracted to Mosquitos that why i am trying to keep my legs covers.

I would get too hung up on posts like this, there are certain factions of the farang population who have a sense of superiority over their fellow farangs and infer they are some how better than everyone else and have a sense of entitlement to be living in Thailand and the "scum" should all be deported and tourists shouldn't be allowed in the country in the first place

Forethat, I think you are wrong and only a small minority of Farangs hanging around bars could be classed as scum, but as I never hang around bars, what do I know? Billy the Kid, you certainly don't sound like scum to me, and Forethat, are you not a bit out of line about your remarks. I can only think of one place that has a majority of scum, and that is prison.

• Like 1

I wear shorts on the beach, and nowhere else.

With regards to farangs wearing shorts, one of the most embarrassing moments of my life was a business partner who showed up at a business dinner wearing shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt. The guy was a VP from a US company. After the dinner the Thais wanted to go to Spasso (Hyatt) but the moron was denied entrance because of his dress code, and for this reason the Thais didn't want to break up the party so we had to go somewhere sleezy even though the Thais wanted to go to Spasso.

I have had to apologise for this moron ever since.

I do agree with you that the person you described as a moron, is a moron.

I always wear a 3 piece suit, fedora and patent leather shoes even to the beach.

This is the most pathetic topic I have ever encountered on this BBS. It's brought the long trouser cretins with thigh high socks out of the woodwork with absolutely inane fashion sense and morons who consider jeans high fashion.

thumbsup.gif

not to forget

Sockenhalter.300.jpg

Netizen, all you are doing is trolling, what right do you have to call anyone a moron just for wearing jeans?

The wife will not let me wear trousers unless going to an air conditioned place. She says it is better to air your skin out in this heat and humidity and I agree. At work, obviously air conditioned and I wear office clothes 5 days a week. So it is a welcome change on the weekends, or if going to the outdoor restaurant during the week to wear knee length shorts.

• Like 1

except when travelling shorts day and night, inside home and outside. give a flying fart what other people wear or think. eat your heart out pantalone chaps!

laugh.png

I think it's starkly revealing about the self-centeredness and ethnocentric nature of the posters, that there is zilch discussion on this thread about what the host culture thinks. So many have lost the plot about what it means to be a foreign guest in a country.

You may have a resident's visa, speak Thai like a native, can make som-tam, lived here 40 years, pay taxes, have a Thai wife and 10 kids, 800,000B+ in a Thai bank, have built your own mansion that dwarfs all the locals' hovels, blah, blah, blah.....but you're still a guest any way you cut it. That's how the locals view, and will always view you. Get used to it.

It may surprise (shock?) some here to learn that Thai culture, in general, has some views and opinions about what looks proper on an adult man (Thai or foreign) out in public, aside from the beach or resort. It's as strong as the norms for what women can/can't wear at a Thai Buddhist temple. To fail in following those norms makes a bad image for all foreign guests in this country. The culturally-rooted opinions get stronger the further you get from BKK and the foreigner tourist traps. I won't bother relate those view/opinions here, as apparently no one cares--it would be casting pearls before swine.

Knowing I'm opening myself up to the vitriol of the "I don't care..." cretin crowd: "OK I will get my hat and coat (and long pants) and move on now..." (oft-quoted statement by those who dare to open Pandora's Box on TV). rolleyes.gif Batter-up! (Shall we start with the "Thai-er than Thou" critics? It's always a good smokescreen for hiding rude behavior...) whistling.gif

Ah well, my father was told it was against culture when he started wearing jeans in the 60's......

• Like 1

Shorts everywhere thanks unless the weather/event doesn't warrant it, such as a wedding. Just not comfortable wearing longs in the tropics. We're not in Kansas now and as long as people are presentable and clean, why would you have an issue? Note, I'm talking smart, knee length shorts here as opposed to 59 baht Tesco specials & vests--those folks really do look crud.

But if the op and co look like monsters, then I don't blame them for covering up, or perhaps they should stay home where we won't have to look at them. wink.png

• Like 1

except when travelling shorts day and night, inside home and outside. give a flying fart what other people wear or think. eat your heart out pantalone chaps!

laugh.png

I think it's starkly revealing about the self-centeredness and ethnocentric nature of the posters, that there is zilch discussion on this thread about what the host culture thinks. So many have lost the plot about what it means to be a foreign guest in a country.

You may have a resident's visa, speak Thai like a native, can make som-tam, lived here 40 years, pay taxes, have a Thai wife and 10 kids, 800,000B+ in a Thai bank, have built your own mansion that dwarfs all the locals' hovels, blah, blah, blah.....but you're still a guest any way you cut it. That's how the locals view, and will always view you. Get used to it.

It may surprise (shock?) some here to learn that Thai culture, in general, has some views and opinions about what looks proper on an adult man (Thai or foreign) out in public, aside from the beach or resort. It's as strong as the norms for what women can/can't wear at a Thai Buddhist temple. To fail in following those norms makes a bad image for all foreign guests in this country. The culturally-rooted opinions get stronger the further you get from BKK and the foreigner tourist traps. I won't bother relate those view/opinions here, as apparently no one cares--it would be casting pearls before swine.

Knowing I'm opening myself up to the vitriol of the "I don't care..." cretin crowd: "OK I will get my hat and coat (and long pants) and move on now..." (oft-quoted statement by those who dare to open Pandora's Box on TV). rolleyes.gif Batter-up! (Shall we start with the "Thai-er than Thou" critics? It's always a good smokescreen for hiding rude behavior...) whistling.gif

I see plenty of Thai men, young, middle aged and old in shorts (of the Camel, short cargo pants variety) in and around shopping centers in Bangkok, and on the sky train at the weekend. So if the locals can get away with it, "when in Rome.......".

• Like 2

I live in BKK so I'd feel like an absolute <deleted> wandering around a city in shorts like I was at the beach.

Wear them in the apartment, at the pool and nipping to 7/11 just outside the apartment and that's pretty much it.

At the beach I would of course.

People who are saying Thai's don't wear shorts and find it offensive...I see Thai's of all ages wearing shorts frequently all over BKK including in bars and malls. A few older guys who live in my soi never have a top on when I see them.

Edited by TheSpade
  • Like 1

I live in BKK so I'd feel like an absolute <deleted> wandering around a city in shorts like I was at the beach.

Wear them in the apartment, at the pool and nipping to 7/11 just outside the apartment and that's pretty much it.

At the beach I would of course.

I live around Lake Maprachan in East Pattaya. Not many people wearing trousers here! I feel out of place if I stop at the 7-11 on the way home in office clothes.

I always wear a 3 piece suit, fedora and patent leather shoes even to the beach.

This is the most pathetic topic I have ever encountered on this BBS. It's brought the long trouser cretins with thigh high socks out of the woodwork with absolutely inane fashion sense and morons who consider jeans high fashion.

thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

not to forget

Sockenhalter.300.jpg

They should only be worn, nay, compulsory with open sandals and shorts......................thumbsup.gif

Good enough for officers in the Royal Navy.

3BW Dress - General Duty Rig White - Officers

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.g3BW Dress-1.jpg

Good enough for me (no that's not me).

Actually, despite coming from the official RN Dress Manual he looks decidedly off sad.png

Even the lads had their version of that uniform. Used to get dirty before you had put it on.

Looked really good after berthing and handling the wire spring ropes..............sad.png

I also never wear shorts and agree with the op. Those foreigners that hang around with baggy shorts and sandals all day on Sukumvit road don't look too nice.

So you think you look good when you're 'hanging around' Sukumvit road do you? Pervs never cease to amaze me

• Like 1

Was told by Thai friends that only males to wear shorts in the city here are gay men and badly dressed tourists.

While we're on the subject of badly dressed farangs, if you don't want to look like a loser, give the beer logo singlets and any polo shirt a miss, especially ugly striped ones (for Indians only) pink or red ones with the horse on them (collar turned up of coarse foe extra idiot points) and the worst look of all......the back to front baseball cap: scientifically proven to lower the wearers intelligence by at least 50%.

• Like 2