The only Farang who never wears Shorts.

NoshowJones

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has to be said, a majority of farangs hanging around bar areas look like scum.

I do hang around the bar areas. Does that class me a scum. sad.png I,m a nice fella who never fights in Thailand since 2003. Does that still class me a scum . blink.png

I do wear jeans most times, I am attracted to Mosquitos that why i am trying to keep my legs covers.

Let me repeat what I wrote earlier: a majority of farangs (that would be western men) hanging around bar areas look like scum (based on the way they dress). If you're in minority in that perspective, why would you be classed as scum?

I have never worn them and never will, at least not in public.

When I go for my weekly tennis I will change there.

Jeans if I have to but mostly in real pants(black) and shirt.

Untill a vew years ago also with tie and jacket, yes also in daytime.

But that changed because my bf wanted me to losen up a little.

Anddo not think I am a fool or whatever but I just feel better this way.

It is up to me, and I don,t feel good in other clothes so why should I wear something else.

Was told by Thai friends that only males to wear shorts in the city here are gay men and badly dressed tourists.

While we're on the subject of badly dressed farangs, if you don't want to look like a loser, give the beer logo singlets and any polo shirt a miss, especially ugly striped ones (for Indians only) pink or red ones with the horse on them (collar turned up of coarse foe extra idiot points) and the worst look of all......the back to front baseball cap: scientifically proven to lower the wearers intelligence by at least 50%.

One could suggest then get yourself and your thai friends and take them to a city like BKK and ya all open your eyes, hundreds of thousands of people wearing shorts every day, walk up just about any soi and you will see thai males typically in nothing else but a pair shorts, now by my estimate either every 2nd or 3rd thai male is gay or you and or you thai friends are delusional or your just making stuff up

Yes you are probably right every 2nd or 3rd male in BKK may be gay.

It has to be said, a majority of farangs hanging around bar areas look like scum.

I do hang around the bar areas. Does that class me a scum. sad.png I,m a nice fella who never fights in Thailand since 2003. Does that still class me a scum . blink.png

I do wear jeans most times, I am attracted to Mosquitos that why i am trying to keep my legs covers.

I would get too hung up on posts like this, there are certain factions of the farang population who have a sense of superiority over their fellow farangs and infer they are some how better than everyone else and have a sense of entitlement to be living in Thailand and the "scum" should all be deported and tourists shouldn't be allowed in the country in the first place

I am not surprised to see posts like yours. In fact, it's almost universally known that each time this topic is discussed, your type of argument is put on display.

If one cannot accept that others find dirty shorts and a t-shirt together with a pair of worn out dirty flip flops look like shit, you're not going to make things better by posting childish profanities and generalisations. You might be the most wonderful person there is, but the fact is you still look like trailer trash, whether you like it or not.

I actually feel sorry for a lot of farangs making a complete fool out of them selves without realising it.

• Like 1

2-1/2 years and I have never left my BKK apartment without long pants and a collared shirt.

I do give myself the decadent luxury of wearing sneakers.

And I did wear shorts for a kayak trek since it's a wet ride. Still had the collared shirt, though.

• Like 1

except when travelling shorts day and night, inside home and outside. give a flying fart what other people wear or think. eat your heart out pantalone chaps!

laugh.png

I think it's starkly revealing about the self-centeredness and ethnocentric nature of the posters, that there is zilch discussion on this thread about what the host culture thinks. So many have lost the plot about what it means to be a foreign guest in a country.

You may have a resident's visa, speak Thai like a native, can make som-tam, lived here 40 years, pay taxes, have a Thai wife and 10 kids, 800,000B+ in a Thai bank, have built your own mansion that dwarfs all the locals' hovels, blah, blah, blah.....but you're still a guest any way you cut it. That's how the locals view, and will always view you. Get used to it.

It may surprise (shock?) some here to learn that Thai culture, in general, has some views and opinions about what looks proper on an adult man (Thai or foreign) out in public, aside from the beach or resort. It's as strong as the norms for what women can/can't wear at a Thai Buddhist temple. To fail in following those norms makes a bad image for all foreign guests in this country. The culturally-rooted opinions get stronger the further you get from BKK and the foreigner tourist traps. I won't bother relate those view/opinions here, as apparently no one cares--it would be casting pearls before swine.

Knowing I'm opening myself up to the vitriol of the "I don't care..." cretin crowd: "OK I will get my hat and coat (and long pants) and move on now..." (oft-quoted statement by those who dare to open Pandora's Box on TV). rolleyes.gif Batter-up! (Shall we start with the "Thai-er than Thou" critics? It's always a good smokescreen for hiding rude behavior...) whistling.gif

It may surprise (shock?) some here to learn that Thai culture, in general, has some views and opinions

and it may surprise you that some of us have selected to live in Thailand for various reasons and that (for some of us) the lowest priority of these reasons is to learn and adapt to "some local views and opinions" as long as our behaviour is not outright offensive.

i can think of dozens other much more offensive acts and behaviour the average Farang commits than showing his knees or hairy legs as well as offensive acts and behaviour from the Thai surroundings but which i take lightly because This Is Thailand!

and if you are trying to tell me that wearing long trousers will compensate for the usual and well known outrageous bad behaviour of some foreign tourists my answer is "gimme a break and get a life!"

• Like 2

Each to his own I say. But you still need to show respect for 90 day reports and renewals visits to government offices. I do see a lot Thai men wearing shorts now at weekends especially the younger ones so it all changing.

The only constant in life is constant change.

Each to his own I say. But you still need to show respect for 90 day reports and renewals visits to government offices. I do see a lot Thai men wearing shorts now at weekends especially the younger ones so it all changing.

The only constant in life is constant change.

According to some of more knowledgable posters...all these people are gay

Let me repeat what I wrote earlier: a majority of farangs (that would be western men) hanging around bar areas look like scum (based on the way they dress). If you're in minority in that perspective, why would you be classed as scum?

That means the minority is wearing Sunday suits ??cheesy.gif

i wear shorts constantly, but then i rid a minimum of 20km daily and run almost all of my errands on a bicycle on top of that. I had 30k in today before 10 am

when evening rolls around, on go the jeans.

personally i could not care less what others wear, as long as they wear something.

I have no desire to see geriatric junk while out and about.

i think more on here should worry about the quality of their own existence rather than finding offence around every corner.

Well I'm old, so in your 'rules' I am junk, and I should never go out of the house.

I wear shorts. Got my cut-offs (formerly a pair of Levis 501's) and some ancient Gap cargo shorts. From June to October, it's shorts at home every day. Apart from trips to the local supermarket, when I go out, I'll throw on a pair of jeans (as all my long pants are of that type). If I'm at the beach or a beach town, I wear shorts when I'm out and about. No shame in that. However, I NEVER wear shorts when I'm out at night...anywhere. That's just...wrong.

• Like 2

Inhabitants of Muslim countries do not like to see bare legs, ankles, whatever on men or women, and subsequently always wear long trousers in pubic.

I see no reason why shorts should not be worn here in Thailand. It's a hot place, and why make it hotter?

Weddings = Shorts

Funerals = Shorts

Shopping Center = Shorts

Restaurant = Shorts

Party = Shorts

Sleeping = Shorts

Beach = Shorts

Exercise = Shorts

Market = Shorts

Bus = Shorts

Train = Shorts

Airplane = Shorts

Immigration = Shorts

Government Offices = Shorts

I guess I am just one of those guys that look great in Shorts ....... thumbsup.gif

Go to immigration in Angeles and they wont let you in the door.

20 years ago I heard the same tale about immigration here.

i can think of dozens other much more offensive acts and behaviour the average Farang commits than showing his knees or hairy legs as well as offensive acts and behaviour from the Thai surroundings but which i take lightly because This Is Thailand!

Isn't this type of argument the kind of stuff you'd normally hear from a 7-year old...? " Mark can go, why can't I do it"

Just because someone else is doing it doesn't justify that you do it yourself. There appears to be a general misconception that just because you're wearing a suit to a wedding this means you're well dressed. A pair of dirty shoes to go with that and you'll still look like shit. Using your philosophy, your defense in a similar situation would be "honey, do you realise how dirty shoes I saw at the construction site last week... There are far worse things than this!!"

How difficult is it to wear something decent? Too difficult for a majority, apparently.

Edited by Forethat
  • Like 1

The people who can determine who is scum in a bar by how they are dressed, wearing trousers or shorts, are either in the wrong job, gullible or just plain naïve. Absolutely stupid statements IMHO.

As a poster said earlier, for a tourist coming to Thailand, not used to the weather, does that make them bad people for wearing what they think is the correct apparel for the country and climate?

When I was visiting Thailand, I would wear shorts from the first to the last day of my holiday, did that for years & years. I normally wear trousers now, but that is because of the job. Around the house it is shorts. What you are comfortable with, what makes sense is the path I choose.

• Like 1

Mmmm I don't know how long you have lived in the LOS. But its amazing that someone else wearing shorts would bother you so much. If the individuals concerned have acted inappropriately or were disrespectful I could understand your gripe. Otherwise no one really cares including the Thais. Personally if you believe in smart casual wear or if your inclined to wear a three piece suit that's your choice as it is the same choice of those that might like to wear shorts in a hot and humid climate.

• Like 1

Inhabitants of Muslim countries do not like to see bare legs, ankles, whatever on men or women, and subsequently always wear long trousers in pubic.

I see no reason why shorts should not be worn here in Thailand. It's a hot place, and why make it hotter?

Maybe some of the anti shorts contingent should consider moving to a Muslim country then

The people who can determine who is scum in a bar by how they are dressed, wearing trousers or shorts, are either in the wrong job, gullible or just plain naïve. Absolutely stupid statements IMHO.

As a poster said earlier, for a tourist coming to Thailand, not used to the weather, does that make them bad people for wearing what they think is the correct apparel for the country and climate?

When I was visiting Thailand, I would wear shorts from the first to the last day of my holiday, did that for years & years. I normally wear trousers now, but that is because of the job. Around the house it is shorts. What you are comfortable with, what makes sense is the path I choose.

After reading your post it occur to me that besides being able to determine who LOOKS like scum by how they are dressed, it is as equally easy to determine who can read and understand written language only by reviewing their posts on TV.