The only Farang who never wears Shorts.

NoshowJones

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The people who can determine who is scum in a bar by how they are dressed, wearing trousers or shorts, are either in the wrong job, gullible or just plain naïve. Absolutely stupid statements IMHO.

As a poster said earlier, for a tourist coming to Thailand, not used to the weather, does that make them bad people for wearing what they think is the correct apparel for the country and climate?

When I was visiting Thailand, I would wear shorts from the first to the last day of my holiday, did that for years & years. I normally wear trousers now, but that is because of the job. Around the house it is shorts. What you are comfortable with, what makes sense is the path I choose.

After reading your post it occur to me that besides being able to determine who LOOKS like scum by how they are dressed, it is as equally easy to determine who can read and understand written language only by reviewing their posts on TV.

And but applying the same logic you have outlined, very simple to determine who is humourly challenged anally up tight, judgemental and self-righteous only by reviewing their posts TV

• Like 1

The people who can determine who is scum in a bar by how they are dressed, wearing trousers or shorts, are either in the wrong job, gullible or just plain naïve. Absolutely stupid statements IMHO.

As a poster said earlier, for a tourist coming to Thailand, not used to the weather, does that make them bad people for wearing what they think is the correct apparel for the country and climate?

When I was visiting Thailand, I would wear shorts from the first to the last day of my holiday, did that for years & years. I normally wear trousers now, but that is because of the job. Around the house it is shorts. What you are comfortable with, what makes sense is the path I choose.

After reading your post it occur to me that besides being able to determine who LOOKS like scum by how they are dressed, it is as equally easy to determine who can read and understand written language only by reviewing their posts on TV.
And but applying the same logic you have outlined, very simple to determine who is humourly challenged anally up tight, judgemental and self-righteous only by reviewing their posts TV
At least I'll be anally up tight well dressed, which in my opinion is better than being illiterate and look like scum. Edited by Forethat

Do you mean short shorts ie showing your ass, or long shorts ie knee length?

I always wear shirt & long shorts with trainers & socks when out in town,flip flops are only for the garden

90 day report-long shorts & shirt, renew visa long trousers and shirt, I dont posess any teashirts.coffee1.gif

I mean any kind of shorts, they just look hideous.

Up to you, as they say.

I've seen plenty of guys wearing long pants and shoes in TH that are well past their use by date. They look a lot worse to me than someone in nice shorts and shirt.

If you are complaining about those who wear sleeve less T shirts or vests and very short ugly shorts, then I agree with you. However those types don't look much good in long pants either!

You do however seem to take the stance that all shorts are unacceptable to you. Have you noticed how many Thai men wear shorts?

Most men on the London tube in their suits and jackets look pretty grimy to me as well.

But the important thing is, they think they're well dressed, never mind the grease marks around their collars.

The fact you don't like shorts is beside the point. I take it your DOB is 1931?

Times have changed.

Move on and get over it.

I for one, love the heat and enjoy not being in formal attire like I was for 30 years prior to arriving in TH.

• Like 2

It has already been said that we are foreigners and always will be and will never be Thai. Yes, we are. We should show respect to Thai culture and Thais but also not lose a sense of who we are. My physiology seems to be quite different than that of most Thais in that I sweat a lot more and am much more sensitive to the heat. I dress smartly casual but often in shorts because to me it's common sense. Trying to be something I'm not, whether it's in how I dress or behave, will only have the opposite effect. People can tell when one is not being true to oneself. Most of us come from countries where foreigners are given quite a bit of latitude in what they do and wear, far more than many foreigners here are willing to give themselves. Thais can meet me halfway, just as I meet them. Those who can't be bothered, well fine. Live and let live. I could try to please every single Thai (or foreigner) who gives me a dirty look and just end up a mess.

And yes, I do know when trousers are expected and I am glad to comply. I like to look nice and make my Thai wife proud. I, too, cringe when a foreigner shows up and a classical music recital wearing a T-shirt and jogging shorts. But as for the OP, it creeps me out that another man would be so affected by my legs.

You are not alone. I couldn't agree more. Shorts are fine for the beach, hanging around the house, or the gym. They are NOT appropriate wear for a grown man in public in a major world city (Bangkok). If you're under 12 years old, say, then fine: you're a little boy and they look like what a little boy would wear. If you're an adult man, for crying out loud, dress like one.

So it would appear that you feel shorts are OK in a small town, but not a 'major world city'?

Total rubbish. I hope you don't force this type of ridiculous opinion upon your students.

Well now, another crucial forum.

Unless your employment or religion requires some form of uniform--business attire is still a uniform and let's face it, that phallic symbol is ridculous and a coat and buttoned-neck shirt serve no purpose in a hot climate--who cares or should care about what anyone wears?

In this climate, I think a long-sleeved shirt and long pants are the trimmings of an archaic society who have not evolved into casual clothes.

• Like 1

Just a question, how old are all of you that never wear shorts? possum1931, is 1931 the year you were born?

I don't work in Thailand, so I have no reason to wear long pants other than formal occasions or dealing with the government. A tucked-in short sleeve button-up looks absolutely hideous, and I see plenty of those around. If you are that old that you can't fathom someone wearing shorts in public, you probably come from a time when people wore 3-piece suits all day every day, and likewise consider a long shirt and slacks to be relaxed wear. If you can pull it off without the massive sweat stain running down your back and into your pants that I see on 90% of the foreigners in Bangkok, then by all means continue to do so. If not, put on the vest and jacket to hide it or wear less so your body will cool off. Maybe you don't realize, westerners have more sweat glands than Asians, that is why they can wear more clothes. Evaporative cooling is more important for us.

I can't actually believe this is an issue to some people.

If I were to see an 80 year old man in shorts I wouldn't batter an eye lid, if I were to see a big fat baldy dude in shorts I would not batter an eye lid.

Just for the record, I'm 6'4 with skinny legs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

+1

The OP should 'be away to take cover'

I know of many guys who never wear shorts. I wear what I like and what suits me (I don't give a shyt for fashion)

My legs were very passable 'and no I am not a wanna be katoey' however I have to admit they have become a bit gnarled in recent years.

But like I say I don't give a shyt what others think and I don't have to look at my legs anyway.

I sweat easily and would be soaking wet if I wear jeans etc. Only wear longs to weddings, funerals and business meetings. If you can stand the heat in your longs its great, but I can understand someone that dont wear them. You can however be neat looking and well cared for in shorts too. Have however seen many 50+ foreigners dressed in longs behaving like teenagers and been frowned upon by Thais more than for what people wear.

I've read 4 pages and can't keep up as everytime I read a page, another page is added. So I haven't read every post.

When in the village, most of the time, I commit the terrible sin of wearing fisherman's pants.

If you or anybody else is offended by what I wear, well I don't care. I feel comfortable and if you want to suffocate in a 3 piece suit , that is up to you. What I want to wear is up to me.

If you look down on others because of what they wear, do you really think that they care about your superiority complex?

My advice is be comfortable and if the fashion police have anything to say, just ignore them and treat them with the contempt that they deserve.

• Like 1

Used to wear those horrendous cargo shorts all the time everyone else still seems to wear - used to get eaten alive by mozzies even after putting anti mozzie stuff on.

Don't bother now, I wear jeans all the time (unless I'm walking back from a morning on the beach, which isn't that often) and don't get bitten anymore. Cargo shorts don't really (to me) seem any cooler or comfortable to wear in the heat.

The girls say I look smarter too...

But at the end of the day it's personal preference I guess.

Edited by Docwho

It has to be said, a majority of farangs hanging around bar areas look like scum.

I do hang around the bar areas. Does that class me a scum. sad.png I,m a nice fella who never fights in Thailand since 2003. Does that still class me a scum . blink.png

I do wear jeans most times, I am attracted to Mosquitos that why i am trying to keep my legs covers.

I would get too hung up on posts like this, there are certain factions of the farang population who have a sense of superiority over their fellow farangs and infer they are some how better than everyone else and have a sense of entitlement to be living in Thailand and the "scum" should all be deported and tourists shouldn't be allowed in the country in the first place

Forethat, I think you are wrong and only a small minority of Farangs hanging around bars could be classed as scum, but as I never hang around bars, what do I know? Billy the Kid, you certainly don't sound like scum to me, and Forethat, are you not a bit out of line about your remarks. I can only think of one place that has a majority of scum, and that is prison.
No, I'm not wrong, I think a majority of bar hangarounds look like scum (due to the way they dress).

Can you explain the logic behind your acusations that I am "out of line".

Maybe you didn't avtually READ my post?

IMO any man who states that ALL men look hideous in shorts reveals some sort of psychological problem.

For me, shorts are pretty much "standard issue" at home, working in the yard, or the beach, the same as others have stated. However, I almost never leave the house without jeans a nice t-shirt, or polo shirt, even if it's just to run down to 7-11.

However, thanks to my wife, there are exceptions. She has bought me at least 8-9 pair of what she calls "dress shorts", with shirts to go with them, as well as 2 very nice pair of "gym shoes", and there are times when we are going someplace, usually to visit family or close friends, and she will suggest I wear the shorts, shirt, shoes, short ankle socks. She says I'm one of the few men she's ever seen who can dress like that and look good. But that is only about 1% of the time, and the other 99% is nice jeans, or slacks, shirts when we go out.

I also agree that I have seen some that have absolutely no sense of fashion, or decorum, and should not be allowed outside their front doors with the way they dress. I just shake my head and sigh at the number of guys I see in "wife beaters", beach combers and some type of sandal strolling through Kad Suan Kaew Mall.

When I lived in Chiang Mai I'd wear shorts (or go naked) when alone at home. In public I'd wear long pants made of performance fabric (not jeans!) and long sleeved shirts too for practical reasons - protection from dengue-carrying mosquitoes, and sun protection. Gotta preserve the beautiful white white skin! smile.png

Angela

p.s. Certainly not all farang guys look "hideous" in shorts but a lot of them do! ;)

Edited by angelbat

Weddings = Shorts

Funerals = Shorts

Shopping Center = Shorts

Restaurant = Shorts

Party = Shorts

Sleeping = Shorts

Beach = Shorts

Exercise = Shorts

Market = Shorts

Bus = Shorts

Train = Shorts

Airplane = Shorts

Immigration = Shorts

Government Offices = Shorts

I guess I am just one of those guys that look great in Shorts ....... thumbsup.gif

Go to immigration in Angeles and they wont let you in the door.

20 years ago I heard the same tale about immigration here.

Thank you for those 2 totally irrelevant observations coffee1.gif

I deal with Thai immigration (not Angeles) and have done so for the last 11 years.

Lucky I wasn't here 20 years ago, I guess xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png

Now please excuse me whilst I change my Shorts that I have been working in the garden in for a another pair to eat in.

i wear shorts constantly, but then i rid a minimum of 20km daily and run almost all of my errands on a bicycle on top of that. I had 30k in today before 10 am

when evening rolls around, on go the jeans.

personally i could not care less what others wear, as long as they wear something.

I have no desire to see geriatric junk while out and about.

i think more on here should worry about the quality of their own existence rather than finding offence around every corner.

I think you should wear whatever you are comfortable with. Since I am past chasing short skirts, or trying to impress anyone, as long as I am comfortable and feel smart enough for the environment, that's fine by me.

I am so happy !

I am not the only one !

You said "Shorts on any male adult is absolutely hideous looking, unless for playing sports"

I would say "Shorts on any male adult is absolutely hideous looking, EVEN for playing sports"

And I would add that people who believe that they feel less hot when wearing shorts really have no brain because this is completely wrong.

Nice to meet you by the way <3

• Like 1