NoshowJones

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OP sounds a little neurotic.

The fact is that the climate in LOS is very humid. What kind of idiot is going to walk around in jeans in this humidity?

To answer the question specifically, the only farang that does not wear shorts in LOS would have to be those from India. Even if you travel to India you will rarely see an Indian guy in shorts. I dont know how they can do it...

shorts are fine. Shoes on a foreigner from a clod climate = sweaty feet all day = stink or a heck of a lot of sock washing & new shoes. I see lots of 'workers' wearing long pants, no matter if they are govt. employees or construction workers. Makes sense to protect your legs but the rest is creeping Western influence. When missionaries first went to Hawaii - they dressed from head to toe in black wool; can you imagine the smell?

The fact is that the climate in LOS is very humid. What kind of idiot is going to walk around in jeans in this humidity?

To answer the question specifically, the only farang that does not wear shorts in LOS would have to be those from India. Even if you travel to India you will rarely see an Indian guy in shorts. I dont know how they can do it...

shorts are fine. Shoes on a foreigner from a clod climate = sweaty feet all day = stink or a heck of a lot of sock washing & new shoes. I see lots of 'workers' wearing long pants, no matter if they are govt. employees or construction workers. Makes sense to protect your legs but the rest is creeping Western influence. When missionaries first went to Hawaii - they dressed from head to toe in black wool; can you imagine the smell?

Well, it would make sense to wear black clothes as solar rays doesn't penetrate black fabric as deep as they do on a white fabric.

Weddings = Shorts

Funerals = Shorts

Shopping Center = Shorts

Restaurant = Shorts

Party = Shorts

Sleeping = Shorts

Beach = Shorts

Exercise = Shorts

Market = Shorts

Bus = Shorts

Train = Shorts

Airplane = Shorts

Immigration = Shorts

Government Offices = Shorts

I guess I am just one of those guys that look great in Shorts ....... thumbsup.gif

+ 1 (but then again.... "I look Marvelous")...... clap2.gif

+ 1 (but then again.... "I look Marvelous")...... clap2.gif

Edited by BigSkip

I wear shorts as a matter of comfort. As long as the locals are wearing them and it is a tourist area I really don't care what others may think.

As a matter of courtesy and respect, anytime I have an appointment with a government official, doctor, or etc. I will dress up a tad and wear long pants and possibly a collared shirt.

Edited by Roger Lee

Get over yourselves...

I can count on one hand the number of times I have worn long pants thus far this year and none of them were into government or official like offices.

Dress neatly and all will be ok.

Don't be so pathetic about what you think everyone else thinks....people think too mutt.

Most of my working life I had to wear the requisite suit and tie......

Now , here in LOS about 90% of the time I wear pressed walking/cargo type shorts (never short) along with a freshly pressed casual shirt (have made/tailored) when out and about. Early evening casual would usually be about the same if out and about when dinner time shows up (live in Hang Dong - not driving back and forth to change). Always wear presentable sandals when out and about. Later evenings smart casual is the way to go with slacks and shirt. I'm not into plaids and checks so matching or contrasting colors works fine for me.

I do have suits and a tux in the closet for dressier occasions - haven't needed them here very much.

At home a Tee shirt and loose rec type shorts work for me and I do have flip flops but only around the house and yard. When playing sports & riding the bike jersey/tee with athletic shorts.

I think someone can look presentable if they dress to match and are in reasonable condition while wearing shorts. I thnk personal grooming coupled with presentable attire can work if some thought it put into it.

There are some great examples around town of some folks that didn't think about it. On the flip side I do notice when someone has taken the extra time/polish/thought to look smart as they do stand out in the crowd - nicely.

Edited by pgrahmm

Hi Possum,

you are not the only one! I'm totally with you on this one and agree that shorts look kinda ridiculous on most men. Since I came to Thailand approx 22 years ago, I was and still am wearing long jeans and boots most of the time. Basically it all started with my very first job which was being some kind of Crocodile Dundee jungle guide, riding a Land Rover, showing tourists around, do cave exploration, climb waterfalls, etc... for a handout. Also did demolition and repair work, and modify boats whenever there were no tourists around. I found that shorts and flip flops not only look stupid, but can cost you your life, especially when you walk about in the jungle, do hard work, climb, explore, etc. - I can't count the many times, my boots and long trousers have prevented me from catching snake bites, scorpion and centipede attacks, and saved me from being eaten alive by mosquitos and leeches. The metal caps in my boots have prevented my toes from being squashed on several occasions on construction sites and while lifting tanks and carrying equipment around. Think I would be missing a few toes by now if it weren't for my boots.

In public, a proper pair of trousers and proper shoes simply make you look smarter, appear more polite and down to earth than a person who wears a typical tourist outfit. I am even tempted to claim that long trousers make you appear more reliable and trustworthy. I wear casual shorts only when scuba diving from a day tripper or liveaboard, or when my family forces me to go to the beach (I prefer waterfalls). I simply would not be me and everybody would ask me what's wrong with me if I ever would appear in shorts someplace else than on a boat or at the beach. I don't believe in suits, tuxedos and ties though - that wouldn't be me either.

Btw, while typing all this, I am sitting at home here in Thailand wearing long jeans.

I believe every person should simply wear what they think is right for them without being judged or discriminated. If anyone wants to ride a CBR 1000 wearing slippers and shorts - it's his choice in the end. If he's not concerned about his safety why should we? Who cares if it looks stupid? The shorties however should leave us trouser lovers alone in return. I however despise people who think it is ok to walk into a bank or restaurant wearing only flip flops, a speedo and a money belt. This sickens me and I believe it is a display of disrespect to everyone else in the room.

Edited by catweazle

Hi Possum,

you are not the only one! I'm totally with you on this one and agree that shorts look kinda ridiculous on most men. Since I came to Thailand approx 22 years ago, I was and still am wearing long jeans and boots most of the time. Basically it all started with my very first job which was being some kind of Crocodile Dundee jungle guide, riding a Land Rover, showing tourists around, do cave exploration, climb waterfalls, etc... for a handout. Also did demolition and repair work, and modify boats whenever there were no tourists around. I found that shorts and flip flops not only look stupid, but can cost you your life, especially when you walk about in the jungle, do hard work, climb, explore, etc. - I can't count the many times, my boots and long trousers have prevented me from catching snake bites, scorpion and centipede attacks, and saved me from being eaten alive by mosquitos and leeches. The metal caps in my boots have prevented my toes from being squashed on several occasions on construction sites and while lifting tanks and carrying equipment around. Think I would be missing a few toes by now if it weren't for my boots.

In public, a proper pair of trousers and proper shoes simply make you look smarter, appear more polite and down to earth than a person who wears a typical tourist outfit. I am even tempted to claim that long trousers make you appear more reliable and trustworthy. I wear casual shorts only when scuba diving from a day tripper or liveaboard, or when my family forces me to go to the beach (I prefer waterfalls). I simply would not be me and everybody would ask me what's wrong with me if I ever would appear in shorts someplace else than on a boat or at the beach. I don't believe in suits, tuxedos and ties though - that wouldn't be me either.

Btw, while typing all this, I am sitting at home here in Thailand wearing long jeans.

I believe every person should simply wear what they think is right for them without being judged or discriminated. If anyone wants to ride a CBR 1000 wearing slippers and shorts - it's his choice in the end. If he's not concerned about his safety why should we? Who cares if it looks stupid? The shorties however should leave us trouser lovers alone in return. I however despise people who think it is ok to walk into a bank or restaurant wearing only flip flops, a speedo and a money belt. This sickens me and I believe it is a display of disrespect to everyone else in the room.

Shorts can cost you your life...what a load of croc...tell that to Steve Irwin.

oh yeah..

except when travelling shorts day and night, inside home and outside. give a flying fart what other people wear or think. eat your heart out pantalone chaps!

laugh.png

I think it's starkly revealing about the self-centeredness and ethnocentric nature of the posters, that there is zilch discussion on this thread about what the host culture thinks. So many have lost the plot about what it means to be a foreign guest in a country.

You may have a resident's visa, speak Thai like a native, can make som-tam, lived here 40 years, pay taxes, have a Thai wife and 10 kids, 800,000B+ in a Thai bank, have built your own mansion that dwarfs all the locals' hovels, blah, blah, blah.....but you're still a guest any way you cut it. That's how the locals view, and will always view you. Get used to it.

It may surprise (shock?) some here to learn that Thai culture, in general, has some views and opinions about what looks proper on an adult man (Thai or foreign) out in public, aside from the beach or resort. It's as strong as the norms for what women can/can't wear at a Thai Buddhist temple. To fail in following those norms makes a bad image for all foreign guests in this country. The culturally-rooted opinions get stronger the further you get from BKK and the foreigner tourist traps. I won't bother relate those view/opinions here, as apparently no one cares--it would be casting pearls before swine.

Knowing I'm opening myself up to the vitriol of the "I don't care..." cretin crowd: "OK I will get my hat and coat (and long pants) and move on now..." (oft-quoted statement by those who dare to open Pandora's Box on TV). rolleyes.gif Batter-up! (Shall we start with the "Thai-er than Thou" critics? It's always a good smokescreen for hiding rude behavior...) whistling.gif

'culture' "Thai culture" there is more culture in out of date yoghurt"

We may be guests and we are never ever allowed to forget it 'are we' bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

And we pay dearly for the privilege (sic)

Hi Possum,

You're entitled to your opinion and quite rightly so, but I think it's a load of rubbish especially when referring to the correct attire when visiting a bank. Perhaps you are trying to create an impression that is different from your bank balance?

• Like 1

I think it is mainly Aussies, they like to wear shorts with matching bush hat with corks hanging down from the brim to ward off them pesky flies.

The reasons I never wear shorts in Thailand. 1. Mosquitos 2. Skin Cancer 3. Don't want to look like a drongo

The smell of some of the farangs in Thailand dressed like they are back home in cold climates, combined with their lack of morning bathing is really enough too advocate dressing for the environment. Hawaii is a good lesson learned.

I don't wear them. I wear jeans. It just looks better.

I have nice shirts, nice tees, why waste them by putting them on with a pair of shitty shorts that wont match.

Shorts never look good, and in most cases wont even match or fit in with the rest of what you're wearing. The only exception I can think of is if you are going all out for that 20 year old Cambridge-frat boy look. And even then.. they'll match, but you'll look like a homo.

To respond to the above posters' assumptions, I am 26, and do not feel hot in them.

As for what other people wear: Everyone is free to wear what they want. Just like I am free to judge them as poorly dressed slobs.

Edited by razorramone

i can think of dozens other much more offensive acts and behaviour the average Farang commits than showing his knees or hairy legs as well as offensive acts and behaviour from the Thai surroundings but which i take lightly because This Is Thailand!

Isn't this type of argument the kind of stuff you'd normally hear from a 7-year old...? " Mark can go, why can't I do it"

Just because someone else is doing it doesn't justify that you do it yourself. There appears to be a general misconception that just because you're wearing a suit to a wedding this means you're well dressed. A pair of dirty shoes to go with that and you'll still look like shit. Using your philosophy, your defense in a similar situation would be "honey, do you realise how dirty shoes I saw at the construction site last week... There are far worse things than this!!"

How difficult is it to wear something decent? Too difficult for a majority, apparently.

how difficult is it to comprehend that it's not your business to worry "who wears what" except perhaps the attire of the guests whom you invited to your wedding reception?