The only Farang who never wears Shorts.

NoshowJones

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wear shorts on the beach, and nowhere else.

With regards to farangs wearing shorts, one of the most embarrassing moments of my life was a business partner who showed up at a business dinner wearing shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt. The guy was a VP from a US company. After the dinner the Thais wanted to go to Spasso (Hyatt) but the moron was denied entrance because of his dress code, and for this reason the Thais didn't want to break up the party so we had to go somewhere sleezy even though the Thais wanted to go to Spasso.

I have had to apologise for this moron ever since.

Do you apologise for going to a place called Spasso ?

• Like 1

With regards to farangs wearing shorts, one of the most embarrassing moments of my life was a business partner who showed up at a business dinner wearing shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt. The guy was a VP from a US company. After the dinner the Thais wanted to go to Spasso (Hyatt) but the moron was denied entrance because of his dress code, and for this reason the Thais didn't want to break up the party so we had to go somewhere sleezy even though the Thais wanted to go to Spasso.

I believe the poster was bringing up the point of inappropriate attire at a business dinner. The name Spasso is one easily recognized as a venue where shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt are not allowed. An apology by the poster, for the name "Spasso", seems to be aimed at generating a sense of humor, but fails on this occasion.

I believe Spasso means amusement or enjoyment in Italian.

Edited by Benmart

Was told by Thai friends that only males to wear shorts in the city here are gay men and badly dressed tourists.

While we're on the subject of badly dressed farangs, if you don't want to look like a loser, give the beer logo singlets and any polo shirt a miss, especially ugly striped ones (for Indians only) pink or red ones with the horse on them (collar turned up of coarse foe extra idiot points) and the worst look of all......the back to front baseball cap: scientifically proven to lower the wearers intelligence by at least 50%.

Ahhh that's why every shop in Thailand doesn't have any polo shirts.

Oh hang on a minute......

I believe the poster was bringing up the point of inappropriate attire at a business dinner. The name Spasso is one easily recognized as a venue where shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt are not allowed. An apology by the poster, for the name "Spasso", seems to be aimed at generating a sense of humor, but fails on this occasion.

Spasso I a deeply offensive term in the west about people who suffer from mental and physical difficulties. Just wondering about the thoughts of people who frequent there on whether shorts are more offensive.

Each to his own I say. But you still need to show respect for 90 day reports and renewals visits to government offices. I do see a lot Thai men wearing shorts now at weekends especially the younger ones so it all changing.

The only constant in life is constant change.

According to some of more knowledgable posters...all these people are gay

Yes they are gay, according to a guy and his friends who look at what other men are wearing.

Wear what's suitable for the weather and the event..simple.

Blokes who think "farangs" look under dressed in shorts are taking the mickey. What about all of the other nationality's wearing shorts.

Use your common sense...dress for the weather, Bangkok isn't Picadilly Circus so no need to dress like a clown

Was told by Thai friends that only males to wear shorts in the city here are gay men and badly dressed tourist

They are either over 70 or pompous idiots; plenty of Thais wearing shorts these days. I have a feeling some of the posters here haven't been outside since, oh, 1968.

Was told by Thai friends that only males to wear shorts in the city here are gay men and badly dressed tourists.

While we're on the subject of badly dressed farangs, if you don't want to look like a loser, give the beer logo singlets and any polo shirt a miss, especially ugly striped ones (for Indians only) pink or red ones with the horse on them (collar turned up of coarse foe extra idiot points) and the worst look of all......the back to front baseball cap: scientifically proven to lower the wearers intelligence by at least 50%.

Ahhh that's why every shop in Thailand doesn't have any polo shirts.

Oh hang on a minute......

And also why the staff at Jomtien Immigration were wearing polo shirts on Tuesday. Pink, I might add, in support of the King.

I guess that must be the ultimate form of disrespect, a government official wearing a pink polo shirt. coffee1.gif

+1

IMHO, the question is weather related.

When 'civilized' men first explored the tropics, they discovered people did not wear clothes, simply because it was too hot, so they improved the situation and introduced suits, thereby reducing everyone's comfort and shortening their life expectancy.

I wear short because they are much more comfortable in the heat. SHould I ever return to a temperate climate, I shall again wear the long trousers of an old man.

+1

IMHO, the question is weather related.

When 'civilized' men first explored the tropics, they discovered people did not wear clothes, simply because it was too hot, so they improved the situation and introduced suits, thereby reducing everyone's comfort and shortening their life expectancy.

I wear short because they are much more comfortable in the heat. SHould I ever return to a temperate climate, I shall again wear the long trousers of an old man.

It wasn't until about 1940 that the then government decreed that it was required of all Thai citizens to dress more "internationally" appropriately, and for the women not to go topless in their daily lives. They even published a poster (below) that showed appropriate dress. The left of the poster is the DON'T and the right is the DO.

So essentially, all this "cultural" stuff about Thais not showing bare shoulders, not wearing shorts etc stems not from some distant cultural belief in propriety, but merely a government edict issued regarding dress standards designed to modernise the country.

In another cultural issue regarding the sacredness of the head in Thai culture, It was also an edict at the same time that Thais will not carry things on their heads, which until then was standard practice. Bizarre, but true.

post-124914-0-61435200-1378951305_thumb.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

This is a silly debate. When you wear shorts you are sacrificing style/appearance for comfort. What is your goal? To look your best or be as comfortable as possible? I don't see why one is necessary better than the other.

Do adult men look like unfashionable idiots wearing shorts? Absolutely.

Do adult men look like fashionable idiots wearing pants in the tropics? Absolutely.

Either way you lose.

I wear shorts of a day time, and try to always wear longs of a night time. I accept that I'll not win any sartorial awards but if that's the price to pay for not getting heatstroke I'll accept it.

Just sayin' coffee1.gif

No problem Blether, maybe I can come out from behind my settee now.

I do take your point though. I get irritated of an evening when I'm in a restaurant and I see other farangs walk in wearing beachwear. Thais love people looking smart, and age is no barrier to that. I often see immaculately dressed farang gents in their 60's and 70's of an evening here in Chiang Mai. they look great to me.

I wear shorts, singlet and thongs everywhere,everyday,day and night.It is my national code of dress.I'm glad i irritate you and hopefully give you indigestion as well.It is none of your business what i wear.

• Like 1

I wear shorts of a day time, and try to always wear longs of a night time. I accept that I'll not win any sartorial awards but if that's the price to pay for not getting heatstroke I'll accept it.

Just sayin' coffee1.gif

I do take your point though. I get irritated of an evening when I'm in a restaurant and I see other farangs walk in wearing beachwear. Thais love people looking smart, and age is no barrier to that. I often see immaculately dressed farang gents in their 60's and 70's of an evening here in Chiang Mai. they look great to me.

I wear shorts, singlet and thongs everywhere,everyday,day and night.It is my national code of dress.I'm glad i irritate you and hopefully give you indigestion as well.It is none of your business what i wear

Post of the year Sir, post of the year...

Just sayin' coffee1.gif

I wear shorts, singlet and thongs everywhere,everyday,day and night.It is my national code of dress.I'm glad i irritate you and hopefully give you indigestion as well.It is none of your business what i wear.

Great!

Now we can see a harmony between the farang tourists' poor appearance and their attitude.

• Like 1

Just sayin' coffee1.gif

When did I ever say it was anybodys business what people wear? Would you please answer this question, what makes you think you irritate me? As for indigestion, I hope you get plenty of it, because you have a very bad attitude. All I said was in my opinion, shorts are hideous looking on a male adult apart from when playing sports, although I would extend that to on the beach or at home.

The people who can determine who is scum in a bar by how they are dressed, wearing trousers or shorts, are either in the wrong job, gullible or just plain naïve. Absolutely stupid statements IMHO.

As a poster said earlier, for a tourist coming to Thailand, not used to the weather, does that make them bad people for wearing what they think is the correct apparel for the country and climate?

When I was visiting Thailand, I would wear shorts from the first to the last day of my holiday, did that for years & years. I normally wear trousers now, but that is because of the job. Around the house it is shorts. What you are comfortable with, what makes sense is the path I choose.

After reading your post it occur to me that besides being able to determine who LOOKS like scum by how they are dressed, it is as equally easy to determine who can read and understand written language only by reviewing their posts on TV.

tongue.png

This is true, it is a world of assumption that we live in.

except when travelling shorts day and night, inside home and outside. give a flying fart what other people wear or think. eat your heart out pantalone chaps!

laugh.png

I think it's starkly revealing about the self-centeredness and ethnocentric nature of the posters, that there is zilch discussion on this thread about what the host culture thinks. So many have lost the plot about what it means to be a foreign guest in a country.

You may have a resident's visa, speak Thai like a native, can make som-tam, lived here 40 years, pay taxes, have a Thai wife and 10 kids, 800,000B+ in a Thai bank, have built your own mansion that dwarfs all the locals' hovels, blah, blah, blah.....but you're still a guest any way you cut it. That's how the locals view, and will always view you. Get used to it.

It may surprise (shock?) some here to learn that Thai culture, in general, has some views and opinions about what looks proper on an adult man (Thai or foreign) out in public, aside from the beach or resort. It's as strong as the norms for what women can/can't wear at a Thai Buddhist temple. To fail in following those norms makes a bad image for all foreign guests in this country. The culturally-rooted opinions get stronger the further you get from BKK and the foreigner tourist traps. I won't bother relate those view/opinions here, as apparently no one cares--it would be casting pearls before swine.

Knowing I'm opening myself up to the vitriol of the "I don't care..." cretin crowd: "OK I will get my hat and coat (and long pants) and move on now..." (oft-quoted statement by those who dare to open Pandora's Box on TV). rolleyes.gif Batter-up! (Shall we start with the "Thai-er than Thou" critics? It's always a good smokescreen for hiding rude behavior...) whistling.gif

You should get out more,every Thai male in my village wears shorts and a top if they're cold.I follow suit.I have asked them about village dress code and they laugh,"up to you" and that's the way it should be.You really have no idea.I live a long way from Bangkok.With your attitude,i am not surprised you feel like an unwanted guest.I know i am accepted as a member of my community.