The only Farang who never wears Shorts.

NoshowJones

except when travelling shorts day and night, inside home and outside. give a flying fart what other people wear or think. eat your heart out pantalone chaps!

laugh.png

I think it's starkly revealing about the self-centeredness and ethnocentric nature of the posters, that there is zilch discussion on this thread about what the host culture thinks. So many have lost the plot about what it means to be a foreign guest in a country.

You may have a resident's visa, speak Thai like a native, can make som-tam, lived here 40 years, pay taxes, have a Thai wife and 10 kids, 800,000B+ in a Thai bank, have built your own mansion that dwarfs all the locals' hovels, blah, blah, blah.....but you're still a guest any way you cut it. That's how the locals view, and will always view you. Get used to it.

It may surprise (shock?) some here to learn that Thai culture, in general, has some views and opinions about what looks proper on an adult man (Thai or foreign) out in public, aside from the beach or resort. It's as strong as the norms for what women can/can't wear at a Thai Buddhist temple. To fail in following those norms makes a bad image for all foreign guests in this country. The culturally-rooted opinions get stronger the further you get from BKK and the foreigner tourist traps. I won't bother relate those view/opinions here, as apparently no one cares--it would be casting pearls before swine.

Knowing I'm opening myself up to the vitriol of the "I don't care..." cretin crowd: "OK I will get my hat and coat (and long pants) and move on now..." (oft-quoted statement by those who dare to open Pandora's Box on TV). rolleyes.gif Batter-up! (Shall we start with the "Thai-er than Thou" critics? It's always a good smokescreen for hiding rude behavior...) whistling.gif

You should get out more,every Thai male in my village wears shorts and a top if they're cold.I follow suit.I have asked them about village dress code and they laugh,"up to you" and that's the way it should be.You really have no idea.I live a long way from Bangkok.With your attitude,i am not surprised you feel like an unwanted guest.I know i am accepted as a member of my community.

The truth is that so many people here have such insignificant lives that they have to get het up over utterly unimportant issues like this in order to somehow justify themselves...

Sad really...

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has to be said, a majority of farangs hanging around bar areas look like scum.

I do hang around the bar areas. Does that class me a scum. sad.png I,m a nice fella who never fights in Thailand since 2003. Does that still class me a scum . blink.png

I do wear jeans most times, I am attracted to Mosquitos that why i am trying to keep my legs covers.

Let me repeat what I wrote earlier: a majority of farangs (that would be western men) hanging around bar areas look like scum (based on the way they dress). If you're in minority in that perspective, why would you be classed as scum?

Very brave sitting behind that screen mate,care to step into a bar and say it to my face.

I wear shorts on the beach, and nowhere else.

With regards to farangs wearing shorts, one of the most embarrassing moments of my life was a business partner who showed up at a business dinner wearing shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt. The guy was a VP from a US company. After the dinner the Thais wanted to go to Spasso (Hyatt) but the moron was denied entrance because of his dress code, and for this reason the Thais didn't want to break up the party so we had to go somewhere sleezy even though the Thais wanted to go to Spasso.

I have had to apologise for this moron ever since.

Well, that guy was either dumb or didn't get the memo that it was a business meeting. It is all about context. I wear jeans for work, immigration and when it is cold (yes, after being here a while, I do get chilly on the motorbike sometimes). Otherwise, why not wear shorts? They look "hideous"? Give me a break. I have several pairs of shorts that are about knee length so people have to look at my calves (note to OP--nobody is looking at your legs when you wear shorts except for you).

In short--regular life, markets, normal diners or restaurants, even some night spots=shorts are fine.

professional contexts, immigration or government related meetings, or nicer places=wear something nicer.

I don't think the rules change that much here. None of my coworkers or superiors freak out if they see me shopping at the market in shorts. They realize I have a life outside of work and that it is hot here. Of course, if I run into the office for even 5 minutes I do put on shoes, dress pants and a dress shirt. Context, people, context.

Me thinks that most of the posters here who are against the wearing of shorts in public come from that Island just to the west of France where the temperature seldom rises above 20C.

Thailand isn't hotter than other countries in the region, and there are places in Europe where you can expect far higher temperatures than SEA every now and then. I have spent lots of time in Singapore and I only see the occasional bum wearing shorts at night. Same thing in Milano during the summer, but if they do wear shorts at least it will be something stylish and not dirty beach wear.

I am not against the shorts in itself, it's the complete lack of style when wearing beach wear and t-shirts in a city environment; often dirty. Looks like shit, if you ask me. I have already pointed out earlier that you might be the nicest and most sophisticated person in the world. My point is that you still look like trash.

As a self appointed fashion nazi you are intitled to your opinions but you and your ideas belong in a museum.My boardy's are clean every day and if you live with a Thai it is near impossible to wear the same pair 2 days running.By the way,no bank in the world deserves my respect,they are only interested in my money,which is fine with me,so i will dress how i want.They really brain washed you as a child.We will never meet because i look like shit,this is your loss.

Shorts and other beachwear have their place. It appears that dressing down has become the norm to the point that it commonplace. That being said, I reserve the shorts for the beach and haven't succumbed to heat stroke from wearing long pants, as one poster put it.

Some people have taken their appearance and tossed it into the rubbish bin under the guise of staying comfortable and cool. It's a "Free world" and we are what we want to be and what we want to look like. The reward if you like, is being treated as a we appear in the eyes of those we come across in our daily sojourn.

Very shallow thinking,you would miss chatting to a lot of interesting people then.We all have a story,and you exclude many by the way we dress!!!Personally i listen what people say,not judge them on how they dress.A Swedish friend came to my wedding in a sarong.This is his normal attire and i never would have met him if i had your attitude.

Caring so much about other men's fashion sense . . . you must have absolutely nothing to do with your life.

I am not interested in anyones fashion sense, I just thought it would make a good topic, and it would seem I have been proved right.

Shorts everywhere thanks unless the weather/event doesn't warrant it, such as a wedding. Just not comfortable wearing longs in the tropics. We're not in Kansas now and as long as people are presentable and clean, why would you have an issue? Note, I'm talking smart, knee length shorts here as opposed to 59 baht Tesco specials & vests--those folks really do look crud.

But if the op and co look like monsters, then I don't blame them for covering up, or perhaps they should stay home where we won't have to look at them. wink.png

Just for the record, I am 6ft tall,weigh 78 kilos, no tattoos, and all my own hair and teeth. As for the monsters, ie the obese, tattooed, simmet wearing guys, yes, they should stay at home where we won't have to look at them.

It has to be said, a majority of farangs hanging around bar areas look like scum.

I do hang around the bar areas. Does that class me a scum. sad.png I,m a nice fella who never fights in Thailand since 2003. Does that still class me a scum . blink.png

I do wear jeans most times, I am attracted to Mosquitos that why i am trying to keep my legs covers.

Let me repeat what I wrote earlier: a majority of farangs (that would be western men) hanging around bar areas look like scum (based on the way they dress). If you're in minority in that perspective, why would you be classed as scum?
Very brave sitting behind that screen mate,care to step into a bar and say it to my face.

Personally, in your place I would have tried to conceal my less favourable personal features more efficiently. You and I differ in the definition of the word "classy", that is evident, bet hey, it's a free world....

I wear shorts of a day time, and try to always wear longs of a night time. I accept that I'll not win any sartorial awards but if that's the price to pay for not getting heatstroke I'll accept it.

Just sayin' coffee1.gif

No problem Blether, maybe I can come out from behind my settee now.

I do take your point though. I get irritated of an evening when I'm in a restaurant and I see other farangs walk in wearing beachwear. Thais love people looking smart, and age is no barrier to that. I often see immaculately dressed farang gents in their 60's and 70's of an evening here in Chiang Mai. they look great to me.

I wear shorts, singlet and thongs everywhere,everyday,day and night.It is my national code of dress.I'm glad i irritate you and hopefully give you indigestion as well.It is none of your business what i wear.

Great!

Now we can see a harmony between the farang tourists' poor appearance and their attitude.

How do you know he is not a "resident" as they like to call themselves AKA the perpetual tourist

Based on what has been written here by some of TV finest geriatric,s one can see the correlation between old age, being stuck in a time wrap and being whinging judgemental cantankerous old bast@rd

• Like 1

Shorts everywhere thanks unless the weather/event doesn't warrant it, such as a wedding. Just not comfortable wearing longs in the tropics. We're not in Kansas now and as long as people are presentable and clean, why would you have an issue? Note, I'm talking smart, knee length shorts here as opposed to 59 baht Tesco specials & vests--those folks really do look crud.

But if the op and co look like monsters, then I don't blame them for covering up, or perhaps they should stay home where we won't have to look at them. wink.png

Just for the record, I am 6ft tall,weigh 78 kilos, no tattoos, and all my own hair and teeth. As for the monsters, ie the obese, tattooed, simmet wearing guys, yes, they should stay at home where we won't have to look at them.

Gawd fashion police Thailand you forgot to give your dress size

It has already been said that we are foreigners and always will be and will never be Thai. Yes, we are. We should show respect to Thai culture and Thais but also not lose a sense of who we are. My physiology seems to be quite different than that of most Thais in that I sweat a lot more and am much more sensitive to the heat. I dress smartly casual but often in shorts because to me it's common sense. Trying to be something I'm not, whether it's in how I dress or behave, will only have the opposite effect. People can tell when one is not being true to oneself. Most of us come from countries where foreigners are given quite a bit of latitude in what they do and wear, far more than many foreigners here are willing to give themselves. Thais can meet me halfway, just as I meet them. Those who can't be bothered, well fine. Live and let live. I could try to please every single Thai (or foreigner) who gives me a dirty look and just end up a mess.

And yes, I do know when trousers are expected and I am glad to comply. I like to look nice and make my Thai wife proud. I, too, cringe when a foreigner shows up and a classical music recital wearing a T-shirt and jogging shorts. But as for the OP, it creeps me out that another man would be so affected by my legs.

I am not affected by another mans legs I can assure you, read my opening piece again. I am referring to what shorts look like in any adult man.

Just a question, how old are all of you that never wear shorts? possum1931, is 1931 the year you were born?

I don't work in Thailand, so I have no reason to wear long pants other than formal occasions or dealing with the government. A tucked-in short sleeve button-up looks absolutely hideous, and I see plenty of those around. If you are that old that you can't fathom someone wearing shorts in public, you probably come from a time when people wore 3-piece suits all day every day, and likewise consider a long shirt and slacks to be relaxed wear. If you can pull it off without the massive sweat stain running down your back and into your pants that I see on 90% of the foreigners in Bangkok, then by all means continue to do so. If not, put on the vest and jacket to hide it or wear less so your body will cool off. Maybe you don't realize, westerners have more sweat glands than Asians, that is why they can wear more clothes. Evaporative cooling is more important for us.

No, 1931 was the birthdate of my favourite country singer, the recently deceased George Jones, known as Possum.

+1

The OP should 'be away to take cover'

I know of many guys who never wear shorts. I wear what I like and what suits me (I don't give a shyt for fashion)

My legs were very passable 'and no I am not a wanna be katoey' however I have to admit they have become a bit gnarled in recent years.

But like I say I don't give a shyt what others think and I don't have to look at my legs anyway.

I really did think that I was the only Farang in Thailand who never wears shorts, but I can see now that I have been proved wrong.

I am afraid this post will not earn you a "like" from the blether! w00t.gif

If your post is not troll-bait, you are a person I hope I will never meet, no matter how stylish you dress!bah.gif

+1

The OP should 'be away to take cover'

I know of many guys who never wear shorts. I wear what I like and what suits me (I don't give a shyt for fashion)

My legs were very passable 'and no I am not a wanna be katoey' however I have to admit they have become a bit gnarled in recent years.

But like I say I don't give a shyt what others think and I don't have to look at my legs anyway.

I really did think that I was the only Farang in Thailand who never wears shorts, but I can see now that I have been proved wrong.

Allow me to offer you, and your fellow non-short wearing pals my sincere congratulations...

So what now...?

Me thinks that most of the posters here who are against the wearing of shorts in public come from that Island just to the west of France where the temperature seldom rises above 20C.

Thailand isn't hotter than other countries in the region, and there are places in Europe where you can expect far higher temperatures than SEA every now and then. I have spent lots of time in Singapore and I only see the occasional bum wearing shorts at night. Same thing in Milano during the summer, but if they do wear shorts at least it will be something stylish and not dirty beach wear.

I am not against the shorts in itself, it's the complete lack of style when wearing beach wear and t-shirts in a city environment; often dirty. Looks like shit, if you ask me. I have already pointed out earlier that you might be the nicest and most sophisticated person in the world. My point is that you still look like trash.

As a self appointed fashion nazi you are intitled to your opinions but you and your ideas belong in a museum.My boardy's are clean every day and if you live with a Thai it is near impossible to wear the same pair 2 days running.By the way,no bank in the world deserves my respect,they are only interested in my money,which is fine with me,so i will dress how i want.They really brain washed you as a child.We will never meet because i look like shit,this is your loss.
We will never meet!?

Bummer, you appeared to be such an intellectual and classy person. Oh well...

Edited by Forethat

I am afraid this post will not earn you a "like" from the blether! w00t.gif

If your post is not troll-bait, you are a person I hope I will never meet, no matter how stylish you dress!bah.gif

I think the Blether would understand that I am not referring to people who have weight problems because of their health, so to all posters who have weight problems because of their health, I sincerely apologise.

Hi Possum,

you are not the only one! I'm totally with you on this one and agree that shorts look kinda ridiculous on most men. Since I came to Thailand approx 22 years ago, I was and still am wearing long jeans and boots most of the time. Basically it all started with my very first job which was being some kind of Crocodile Dundee jungle guide, riding a Land Rover, showing tourists around, do cave exploration, climb waterfalls, etc... for a handout. Also did demolition and repair work, and modify boats whenever there were no tourists around. I found that shorts and flip flops not only look stupid, but can cost you your life, especially when you walk about in the jungle, do hard work, climb, explore, etc. - I can't count the many times, my boots and long trousers have prevented me from catching snake bites, scorpion and centipede attacks, and saved me from being eaten alive by mosquitos and leeches. The metal caps in my boots have prevented my toes from being squashed on several occasions on construction sites and while lifting tanks and carrying equipment around. Think I would be missing a few toes by now if it weren't for my boots.

In public, a proper pair of trousers and proper shoes simply make you look smarter, appear more polite and down to earth than a person who wears a typical tourist outfit. I am even tempted to claim that long trousers make you appear more reliable and trustworthy. I wear casual shorts only when scuba diving from a day tripper or liveaboard, or when my family forces me to go to the beach (I prefer waterfalls). I simply would not be me and everybody would ask me what's wrong with me if I ever would appear in shorts someplace else than on a boat or at the beach. I don't believe in suits, tuxedos and ties though - that wouldn't be me either.

Btw, while typing all this, I am sitting at home here in Thailand wearing long jeans.

I believe every person should simply wear what they think is right for them without being judged or discriminated. If anyone wants to ride a CBR 1000 wearing slippers and shorts - it's his choice in the end. If he's not concerned about his safety why should we? Who cares if it looks stupid? The shorties however should leave us trouser lovers alone in return. I however despise people who think it is ok to walk into a bank or restaurant wearing only flip flops, a speedo and a money belt. This sickens me and I believe it is a display of disrespect to everyone else in the room.

Catweazie, This is the best and most sensible post I have ever read on TV. Good luck to you.

+1

IMHO, the question is weather related.

When 'civilized' men first explored the tropics, they discovered people did not wear clothes, simply because it was too hot, so they improved the situation and introduced suits, thereby reducing everyone's comfort and shortening their life expectancy.

I wear short because they are much more comfortable in the heat. SHould I ever return to a temperate climate, I shall again wear the long trousers of an old man.

It wasn't until about 1940 that the then government decreed that it was required of all Thai citizens to dress more "internationally" appropriately, and for the women not to go topless in their daily lives. They even published a poster (below) that showed appropriate dress. The left of the poster is the DON'T and the right is the DO.

So essentially, all this "cultural" stuff about Thais not showing bare shoulders, not wearing shorts etc stems not from some distant cultural belief in propriety, but merely a government edict issued regarding dress standards designed to modernise the country.

In another cultural issue regarding the sacredness of the head in Thai culture, It was also an edict at the same time that Thais will not carry things on their heads, which until then was standard practice. Bizarre, but true.

attachicon.gifthai_dress_mandate_by_pibunsongkram.png

not wearing shorts

would you like to borrow my reading glasses? what is the chap shown in the Thai "dress mandate" wearing? a dress? an evening gown? coffee1.gif

post-35218-0-17632400-1378968787_thumb.j

post-35218-0-54760200-1378969258_thumb.j

Edited by Naam
  • Like 2

I think OP has problem controlling his lust when he see a muscular man in shorts

I have already been suspended for making Homophobic comments, so I cannot answer your post.

I hear you, bro.

So far, in this thread I have been called:

"A fashion nazi"

"An idiot"

"A pervert"

"A weirdo

"Humourly challenged"

"Anally up tight"

"Self-righteous"

Others have also claimed that:

"I Have a sense of superiority over their fellow farangs"

"I infer I am better than everyone else"

"I feel that the scum should all be deported"

"I feel that tourists shouldn't be allowed in the country in the first place"

"me and my ideas belong in a museum"

"I was brain washed as a child"

And on top of everything Soutpeel claim that I am "judgemental"...?

cheesy.gif

And they say TV isn't a good laugh...

wai.gif

I think OP has problem controlling his lust when he see a muscular man in shorts

I have already been suspended for making Homophobic comments, so I cannot answer your post.

I hear you, bro.

So far, in this thread I have been called:

"A fashion nazi"

"An idiot"

"A pervert"

"A weirdo

"Humourly challenged"

"Anally up tight"

"Self-righteous"

Others have also claimed that:

"I Have a sense of superiority over their fellow farangs"

"I infer I am better than everyone else"

"I feel that the scum should all be deported"

"I feel that tourists shouldn't be allowed in the country in the first place"

"me and my ideas belong in a museum"

"I was brain washed as a child"

And on top of everything Soutpeel claim that I am "judgemental"...?

cheesy.gif

And they say TV isn't a good laugh...

wai.gif

TV can be a good laugh at times, I'm glad I have contributed by starting this thread.

Hi Possum,

you are not the only one! I'm totally with you on this one and agree that shorts look kinda ridiculous on most men. Since I came to Thailand approx 22 years ago, I was and still am wearing long jeans and boots most of the time. Basically it all started with my very first job which was being some kind of Crocodile Dundee jungle guide, riding a Land Rover, showing tourists around, do cave exploration, climb waterfalls, etc... for a handout. Also did demolition and repair work, and modify boats whenever there were no tourists around. I found that shorts and flip flops not only look stupid, but can cost you your life, especially when you walk about in the jungle, do hard work, climb, explore, etc. - I can't count the many times, my boots and long trousers have prevented me from catching snake bites, scorpion and centipede attacks, and saved me from being eaten alive by mosquitos and leeches. The metal caps in my boots have prevented my toes from being squashed on several occasions on construction sites and while lifting tanks and carrying equipment around. Think I would be missing a few toes by now if it weren't for my boots.

In public, a proper pair of trousers and proper shoes simply make you look smarter, appear more polite and down to earth than a person who wears a typical tourist outfit. I am even tempted to claim that long trousers make you appear more reliable and trustworthy. I wear casual shorts only when scuba diving from a day tripper or liveaboard, or when my family forces me to go to the beach (I prefer waterfalls). I simply would not be me and everybody would ask me what's wrong with me if I ever would appear in shorts someplace else than on a boat or at the beach. I don't believe in suits, tuxedos and ties though - that wouldn't be me either.

Btw, while typing all this, I am sitting at home here in Thailand wearing long jeans.

I believe every person should simply wear what they think is right for them without being judged or discriminated. If anyone wants to ride a CBR 1000 wearing slippers and shorts - it's his choice in the end. If he's not concerned about his safety why should we? Who cares if it looks stupid? The shorties however should leave us trouser lovers alone in return. I however despise people who think it is ok to walk into a bank or restaurant wearing only flip flops, a speedo and a money belt. This sickens me and I believe it is a display of disrespect to everyone else in the room.

Shorts can cost you your life...what a load of croc...tell that to Steve Irwin.

oh yeah..

Away and have a scratch Itchybum.

• Like 1

Another troll thread.

How boring.

Still the bait has been taken sadly.

A discussion on wearing shorts in a tropical climate how silly.

Whatever next I'm the only Farang who doesn't eat Thai food in a 90 mile radius.

OK, so you think it is boring, around 200 posts would say otherwise.

IMHO, the question is weather related.

When 'civilized' men first explored the tropics, they discovered people did not wear clothes, simply because it was too hot, so they improved the situation and introduced suits, thereby reducing everyone's comfort and shortening their life expectancy.

I wear short because they are much more comfortable in the heat. SHould I ever return to a temperate climate, I shall again wear the long trousers of an old man.

It wasn't until about 1940 that the then government decreed that it was required of all Thai citizens to dress more "internationally" appropriately, and for the women not to go topless in their daily lives. They even published a poster (below) that showed appropriate dress. The left of the poster is the DON'T and the right is the DO.

So essentially, all this "cultural" stuff about Thais not showing bare shoulders, not wearing shorts etc stems not from some distant cultural belief in propriety, but merely a government edict issued regarding dress standards designed to modernise the country.

In another cultural issue regarding the sacredness of the head in Thai culture, It was also an edict at the same time that Thais will not carry things on their heads, which until then was standard practice. Bizarre, but true.

attachicon.gifthai_dress_mandate_by_pibunsongkram.png

not wearing shorts

would you like to borrow my reading glasses? what is the chap shown in the Thai "dress mandate" wearing? a dress? an evening gown? coffee1.gif

attachicon.gifThai shorts.jpg

attachicon.gifthai_dress_mandate_by_pibunsongkram.jpg

i guess the "Thai Dress Mandate" settles the issue laugh.png case closed!