Walen School - cobra snake problem

MacWalen

We have an unusual problem. We get visited by a cobra snake at the back our our school and my staff got very scared when it entered the school this Monday. It escaped but they believe it is still living somewhere close. We have those rain gutters so it might be the way it gets to the back of the school. The girls saw it last time 4 months ago but just for a brief moment, but this time it was an actual encounter. We will install mosquito netting to keep the enterance closed at all times but it still does not solve the problem. So the question is how can we get rid of it? Catching might be difficult and dangerous so we would like to kill it I guess. I know how to kill rats or insects but this is the first time I am dealing with a potentially deadly snake. Suggestions would be very much appreciated.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not there all the time. So hard to catch it, if there is some kind of snake trap then sure. But if not, then maybe some kind of poison. Why would I like to kill it? I value life of my staff and students above the snake. This animal can kill you and this is not a joke. Catching is preferable of course. I do not see the need to kill if can be removed form our property.

Edited by MacWalen

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-get-rid-of-snakes.html

Several idea there - good ones are:

snake repellent is another effective method of keeping snakes away from your property. These repellents contain certain components such as sulphur, cedar oil or clove oil that emit a strong odour to repel snakes. The repellents may also have substances that can make snakes uncomfortable to crawl over. Most snake repellents are available in a powdered form which can be sprinkled around your home, garden or backyard. Fortunately, these products are not harmful to your pets or kids, BUT always read the label or confirm with the seller before you buy the product.

Snakes are more active at night, so you can also use a snake trap which consists of a glue board. As soon as a snake enters this trap, it gets stuck to the glue and is unable to escape. The captured snake can be released safely far away from your home.
Edited by wolf5370

Wolf, have you seen any of the things you mentioned in a shop anywhere in Thailand? A glue board sounds best.

Clove oil is easy to get at any chemist - and cheap (good for tooth ache too :))

If you have a border - maybe dig a small trench say 2 foot wide - and top it with broken shell (top 2 inches or so) on course sand. Snakes hate to cross it so a nice barrier.

Get a cat.

In the last year here at my home in Phuket my cat has killed 6 snakes that I know of. Maybe more.

Why do I know...because she leaves them at the front door for me.

Two of the snakes were cobras.

http://www.you

Cats killing wildlife...Just one more reason to not own a cat

Bookman

I am not a cat person. And back in Australia I have shot dozens of ferals out in the scrub. This cat is the first I have ever taken care of. She was a soi kitten and wandered in to my home one night when I was outside on the porch cooking a barbeque. She was starving, in very poor condition and would not shut up meowing.

I fed her that night and now she has become a big part of my life. I got her back in good health and took her for all of her vaccinations. And when she was old enough I took her in to the Vet and got her desexed. I have a collar on her with a big bell to warn any birds that come into my yard.

My house here in Phuket backs on to mountain rainforest on one side and a big palm plantation on the other. There are a series of lakes and a stream nearby with lots of frogs. It follows that there are also lots of snakes. I have already posted my story about being bitten by a snake here last year in another thread.

Before my cat arrived on the scene I had a number of close calls when I stepped out of my front door in bare feet or thongs. That no longer happens as my cat nails any snakes that come into the yard. She also is a great ratter.

So...how do I feel about my cat killing snakes.....fine...because she only kills them if they enter my yard, and I would much rather that outcome than another snake bite incident.

• Like 2

Why would you want to kill it? Surely there must be someone who can catch it. I also believe some (all) Cobras are protected by the Wildlife Protection Act.

Are you offering to bring your flute and play some snake charming music for the thing while you encourage it to climb into a Cobra Carry-case and then take it back to your house, where it will be safe from all those nasty people who might want to chop its head off?

Wolf, have you seen any of the things you mentioned in a shop anywhere in Thailand? A glue board sounds best.

Clove oil is easy to get at any chemist - and cheap (good for tooth ache too smile.png)

If you have a border - maybe dig a small trench say 2 foot wide - and top it with broken shell (top 2 inches or so) on course sand. Snakes hate to cross it so a nice barrier.

If this is the Pattaya branch, its cheaper to use broken bottles

Any country person especially someone from Issarn could catch the snake.

I am not sure about that. I do believe you need some proper training how to do it and some tools. Being bitten by a cobra is not an option for us.

Edited by MacWalen