Land In Chiangmai

tuky

I am living in the Chon Buri province right now, but am looking to buy a piece of land in the near future. I came across an add and wondered what the rest of you might think, being Chiangmai-ites.

please take a look, and give me your opinions. There is no price on the site and so I guess that would be a major factor, but to me this looks ideal.

here it is

What are your thoughts?

Looks like a development project by someone (possibly Farang) looking to make serious money (that you'll be paying.). I know money isn't an issue for many people, but do check some common land prices in the area. I have a feeling this one will be expensive.

Also I find it strange that it doesn't list where the land is!!!!!! On the map it says 'public road', but where on Earth is it?? You need to know that to be able to compare prices.

18 km is quite far.. From looking at the map I would guess it's past the Sankamphaeng area. Ask how much they want for it. Nice land is everywhere around Chiang Mai, it all depends on price.

As a gut feeling though: Good deals about houses or land are not found on the web or in the magazines, but by asking around and driving around..

Cheers,

Chanchao

Guest The Judge

I agree Tuky, the land is likely around Maejo looking the map. I think also quite expensive but looks like something developed by a Thai person with western sensibilities. My house is in a Lamyai orchard which that definitely is, and whilst expensive land was a good investment. Always cool, lots of quiet, just because of the trees. I like the idea. may go talk to them myself.

I like the idea. may go talk to them myself.

Hi Judge,

I am looking for something peaceful and not too much hard work.

Money will be a consideration at a later date for me, I just want the lifestyle.

If you do go and see them, will let me know whether it would fit in with my wishes?

Perhaps let me/us know a little more about it from your observations?

I am finding it hard to get around to places so far away from home now with our little baby, an insider might be helpful.

Do this for me and I will put in a good word for you with my father-in-law :o

Guest The Judge

Hi Tuky,

Visit went well. The place is astounding. All trees except where they had to be moved for a house. 1 couple (there are 4) moved 5 trees to build a beauty. Single level, maids quarters, guest house and pool. Beautiful.

IMHO the land is expensive and if you are a price shopper, don't waste your time, or theirs. If you are looking for lifestyle, it's very good.

All concrete roads. Pumped water throughout for the fruit trees, a beautiful lake with fish, a boat as well. An island in the middle provides the odd interesting photo opportunity.

One block is off the lake by maybe 100 yards. Corner finish on the road. 3 phase power throughout.

Potable water.. need pump and filter. Building, they ask you to be sensitive, but don't ask you to provide drawings for approval. Canal over the back of that one provides water to the lake. The lake is the water source for the lamyai watering, which is fairly heavy in the lead up to the picking season.

Also have mango and other fruit. The fruit is harvested by the maintenance contract, and is sold to make living there cheaper. It is really quite excellent. Well managed, well maintained and the people there are lovely.

Hope it helps.

J

• 2 weeks later...
As a gut feeling though: Good deals about houses or land are not found on the web or in the magazines, but by asking around and driving around.

Good advice there - it pays to have local friends !

Another good option is to ask about re-possessed land or land/buildings at the banks or on-line to their web-sites.

Their head-office may insist upon a ridiculous price, having over-lent in the first place , but it can sometimes be a source of reasonably-priced deals.

And may also avoid some of the rich-farang-in-sight price-supplement which , understandably , has been known to apply !

We also spent a couple of days looking at the moo-bans , to get a feel for the market , if you actually want to live inside a gated-community on a pocket-handkerchief-sized plot. Good source of ideas for planning your house , too.

I loved the one , superb traditional Lanna-style home , which we were admiring just as a 747 floated overhead, on finals to C-M International ! :o Worth checking-out the local flight-paths.