BANGKOK 21 May 2019 01:24
Sign in to follow this  
pastafarian

Foreigners may no longer require a teacher's license?

Although it is good news for some of us who genuinely want to do something with our spare time, it could bring in English eeeeeeeeer, hmmmmm, well you know what I mean. IF, vetting is done by qualified farangs, of which there are many, good stuff.

• Like 1

That will please a few of my friends if it happens.

If schools put in place a criminal record check and did some training for the new teachers even aiding them in progression. I can't see how this would be bad (fingers at the ready to abuse me)

If the teacher did nothing and took a salary then boot them out. If they are willing to learn and don't use the nickname 'Peder' I don't see a problem.

It's probably all hot air anyway :D

Sent using sausage fingers on my phone :D

• Like 1

I have had Uni qualified folk in English at my place. Most do not have a clue and I ''teach'' them stuff. I have no degree but I Know I can perfect stuff.

Did I say stuff, mai dee. laugh.png

• Like 2

Of course they need people with skills/ability in teaching, but having a degree is not a 100% perfect teacher;

Absolutely, ask Dr Zoe D Katze.

Was it just a year ago when they were "relaxing" the rules for foreigners to teach English...as part of a government program...for 10.000thb a month.

Was not over-applied in my region.

And i am sorry, if a foreigner needs to pay for accommodation/transportation/some foreigner food and standards...the question remains what as a minimum the schools willing and can afford to offer as salary.

I doubt that most smaller and rural schools will have benefits from this, not now, just as wasn't last year neither.

With all of the Thais teaching English even at the Uni level, but who can't speak English, an NES who could pass a Tefl would have to be better. Too many Thais are being taught vocabulary and grammar but not learning to speak because the teacher can't speak. This is a massive problem in Isaan where many schools have never had an NES.

I have a friend near Sisaket who is a native Thai teacher. Her education is in math and science. Because she learned English at uni especially while getting her master's, she has been designated as the English teacher. Her speaking ability is horrible and we can barely talk. What she can say has such a terrible Thai accent that no child is really going to learn to use the language. Yet they dutifully have English classes with all communication in Thai. It's a joke.

What is an NES?

With all of the Thais teaching English even at the Uni level, but who can't speak English, an NES who could pass a Tefl would have to be better. Too many Thais are being taught vocabulary and grammar but not learning to speak because the teacher can't speak. This is a massive problem in Isaan where many schools have never had an NES.

I have a friend near Sisaket who is a native Thai teacher. Her education is in math and science. Because she learned English at uni especially while getting her master's, she has been designated as the English teacher. Her speaking ability is horrible and we can barely talk. What she can say has such a terrible Thai accent that no child is really going to learn to use the language. Yet they dutifully have English classes with all communication in Thai. It's a joke.

What is an NES?
NES = Native, English, Speaker........such as the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. Not countries that do not use English as their first language.

With all of the Thais teaching English even at the Uni level, but who can't speak English, an NES who could pass a Tefl would have to be better.

I've worked in English departments uni level in Thailand for over 20 years. While you do come across the occasional dud, most of the Thais at this level have excellent English skills and most have master's and PhDs from overseas. There is a need for NES teachers and I think generally those with a degree and TEFL qualification are fine on certain types of courses. But it's unreasonable to present this as an either/or situation. You need to get the best from NES and Thai teachers. Foreigners with a TEFL certificate often fail to realize that they are not experts in language teaching or education and can actually learn a lot from their Thai colleagues. This should work both ways of course and means that foreign teachers need to be able to adapt to the cultural environment.

One of the problems with the education system is that there in no incentive or encouragement to get Thai English teachers of the standard found in universities into the school system. The majority of English teachers here are always going to be Thai and so it's really all about training and getting the best people into the schools.

Edited by KhaoNiaw